Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Metaphors for life have gotten poignantly accurate lately.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

mostlygray posted:

Back when I used to ride in Centuries all the time and was riding about 125 miles a week, I was always put to shame by the guy wearing jeans and a yellow rain coat. He would have a milk crate full of groceries bungied to his front handlebars on his comfort bike. He would ride on flat pedals with his heels instead of toes. I'd be completely blown, and he'd be happy as a pig in poo poo just crancking his way up and down the rollers. He's always about 300 lbs too. This dude is riding a Century like it's his daily commute.

This isn't one specific guy either, every single Century I've been in has had that guy. It really emasculates a fellow.

My guy on my first century was this white haired 60+ year old looking guy on a cruiser. He was wearing an unbuttoned dress shirt while blasting his portable radio. Dude slipped right by our group as we were struggling up a hill.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Good News: you finally hit a coconut.
Bad News: coconuts are hard as poo poo .

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

This is why you don't headbutt a Samoan watermelon.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

mostlygray posted:

Back when I used to ride in Centuries all the time and was riding about 125 miles a week, I was always put to shame by the guy wearing jeans and a yellow rain coat. He would have a milk crate full of groceries bungied to his front handlebars on his comfort bike. He would ride on flat pedals with his heels instead of toes. I'd be completely blown, and he'd be happy as a pig in poo poo just crancking his way up and down the rollers. He's always about 300 lbs too. This dude is riding a Century like it's his daily commute.

This isn't one specific guy either, every single Century I've been in has had that guy. It really emasculates a fellow.

We've got a guy in my town who is a local restaurateur and cyclist. He started his restaurant by riding his bike on the trails, towing his taco stand and setting up at the big rest areas on the long trails to serve tacos. He's a big old bearded dude with a big gut, but he rides his bike literally everywhere, and usually rides a century at least every weekend if not also another one during the week. Watching all of the super tryhard cyclists in their helmets and toe clips get left in his dust is the best bicycle schadenfreude.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

mostlygray posted:

What was his typical time?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Fat daily commuters kill me when out on a ride on workdays

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's funny how doing something every single day can override things like general fitness and expensive gear.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

necessity is a helluva thing

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

I stand corrected, thanks!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Calexio posted:

I stand corrected, thanks!

Somebody posted earlier saying that the site wasn't that way before, so maybe not.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'll keep this story of guilt-based schadenfreude short:

During my lunch break today, a random dude asked if he could use my phone. I told him no, he got kinda pissy about it but didn't bother me too much outside of sitting near to me. I felt kinda bad, even though I still felt justified in not giving my phone to a stranger.

As my lunch was winding down, I decided to drive over to a dollar store and bought a cheap charger and cord for like 5bux, but by the time I got back, he was gone.

I just wanted to help in a way that wouldn't risk my phone, dammit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MisterBibs posted:

I'll keep this story of guilt-based schadenfreude short:

During my lunch break today, a random dude asked if he could use my phone. I told him no, he got kinda pissy about it but didn't bother me too much outside of sitting near to me. I felt kinda bad, even though I still felt justified in not giving my phone to a stranger.

As my lunch was winding down, I decided to drive over to a dollar store and bought a cheap charger and cord for like 5bux, but by the time I got back, he was gone.

I just wanted to help in a way that wouldn't risk my phone, dammit.

Congrats on not getting your phone stolen. Seriously.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wtf is a century?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
riding 100 miles

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

dpbjinc posted:

Somebody posted earlier saying that the site wasn't that way before, so maybe not.

Hmm. I definitely do not remember it being that helpful during my wife's initial visa application but figured I was just remembering wrong through the frustration of the process. Who knows.

Sorry I don't have any freude to post!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:stonk::stonk::stonk:

Uh, I'm not so sure that, um, this actually qualifies as schadenfreude, but here you go anyway. :nms: warning right off the bat.

[snip]DON'T POST VIDEOS OF PEOPLE DYING[/snip]

3 were injured, driver died on the way to the hospital

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Aug 25, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Insufferable 19-year-old married couple moves from Arizona to Chicago, settles near Loyola, are frightened by a typical CTA weirdo on Day 1, breaks their lease and drives home in terror, now "homeless" by choice.
https://youtube.com/watch?a=&feature=youtu.be&v=7RAZF4kJIh4

Never loving come back.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

Henchman of Santa posted:

Insufferable 19-year-old married couple moves from Arizona to Chicago, settles near Loyola, are frightened by a typical CTA weirdo on Day 1, breaks their lease and drives home in terror, now "homeless" by choice.

Never loving come back.

Hahahahaha

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Related: https://www.facebook.com/events/1782958188650391/

Also, they responded: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160823/edgewater/youtube-couple-responds-after-fleeing-chicago-wishing-you-all-best

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

their last name is White, it's almost too perfect

quote:

"We weren't a wealthy family [he doesn't mention her family.] My mother works as a nurse and my dad stays at home with the kids. When you factor in the size of the family, we were under poverty lines. It's not to say we weren't taken care of - we definitely were. But I was never able to get the $100 pair of Nike's that everyone had. Nor was I able to wear a different pair of shorts for every day of the week. I really do apologize if I seem like I am obsessed with being wealthy and truly hope you don't blame Brianna for my actions/outlook.

"My reason for desiring wealth is to be able to take care of my family and not have to worry or fight about finances. I don't want to be some wild billionaire . . . But I do want to be able to provide for my family and be able to enjoy life to its fullest.

"I did see someone mention that I was probably raised by conservatives. Believe it or not- my parents are hardcore Bernie supporters . . . which I am most definitely okay with! I do support Trump - but I am one drop of water in an entire ocean."

Crocoswine has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Aug 25, 2016

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Im dying

This story is probably the best thing Ive seen in the Schadenfreude thread, thank you.

Spectral Debt has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Aug 25, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I went to Chicago with a school trip. We rode the L and there was a woman who got on and started spraying her armpits with a can of Lysol.

Awesome trip.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:krad: this is the loving best.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
The whitest Whites.

Goddamn all those quick edits though, I had to keep watching but they don't make it easy.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

headcas3 posted:

The whitest Whites.

Goddamn all those quick edits though, I had to keep watching but they don't make it easy.

I gave up just from all the cuts. Why do people make youtube videos that way? It's extremely ridiculous and annoying.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

I gave up just from all the cuts. Why do people make youtube videos that way? It's extremely ridiculous and annoying.

So she doesn't stumble over all of her LITERALLYs

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Never loving come back.

"Homeless"

*makes video in huge fuckoff kitchen with expensive cabinets, granite countertops, and $4,000 stainless steel appliances*

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

"Homeless"

*makes video in huge fuckoff kitchen with expensive cabinets, granite countertops, and $4,000 stainless steel appliances*

It's her uncle's kitchen! They had to search for LITERALLY two weeks to find a new apartment!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Spectral Debt posted:

Im dying

This story is probably the best thing Ive seen in the Schadenfreude thread, thank you.

E: also those two are about one "Heavenly Father" away from being the two Mormonest people on the face of the earth

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Aug 25, 2016

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

A whole family brigade came to rescue them.

Jaylen: So we got all the IKEA furniture and threw it into my dad's big, big car. *flip*

I feel like I would've transformed into 'the man' in that story if I had run into these two.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wish I had been on that L. I love hearing about hayseeds that can't hack it in one of the nicest cities in the US.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wish I had been on that L. I love hearing about hayseeds that can't hack it in one of the nicest cities in the US.

A hayseed is someone who comes from a small rural town with what little possessions they have and is totally naive, if not a little humble about moving to a big city.

These two are rich dummies from Phoenix, AZ, the sixth most populous city in the U.S.. They only moved up to the third most populous city, in this case.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ok, I'll give you that, but LA isn't a city. It's just 20 suburbs zoned together. New York and Chicago are the only two big cities in the US.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In this case I'll stretch the meaning of hayseed to encompass someone who is mystified and enchanted by "I guess like a subway, or maybe a tram, only it's like *makes vague upward motions* up there, like literally above the cars"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ok, I'll give you that, but LA isn't a city. It's just 20 suburbs zoned together. New York and Chicago are the only two big cities in the US.

Yeah, LA is less a city and more a playground for the dregs of society

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Data Graham posted:

In this case I'll stretch the meaning of hayseed to encompass someone who is mystified and enchanted by "I guess like a subway, or maybe a tram, only it's like *makes vague upward motions* up there, like literally above the cars"

Haha, ok, I'll give you that.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chicago has suburbs, too.

You Are A Werewolf has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Aug 25, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

TotalLossBrain posted:

Whatever is faster than you are. Remember, this is a ridiculous person that participates in all such events. All that matters is that this ghost is always faster than you are, no matter how hard you push it or train, he always beats you to the next stop. You could be riding into a 40 mph headwind in the rain, or with the wind at your back and the sun at your face. Either way, he's always just ahead of you and looks like he's have the best day of his life with his stupid goddamn milk crate on the front of his bike.

Meanwhile, you're vomiting into a trash can from pushing so hard. gently caress guys that ride comfort bikes on their heels while wearing a raincoat. Who wears a raincoat on a hot day? Somehow, they always wear one. Why do they have a milk crate? What goes in it? You pass them going 10-20 mph faster than they are, yet somehow they overtake you. These goblins make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless