Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

LoL was first on the scene and free. And it was fun enough in the beginning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think the CEO of Riot saying to TSMReginald "maybe you should spend more of your money on your players" may actually be worse than "James is an rear end"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

emdash posted:

here's something to distract us all for now:

https://esports.yahoo.com/not-brief-timeline-current-league-000000257.html

Continues at the link

man i neither play nor watch LoL but everything i read about it seems to goddamn shortsighted and idiotic

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
how do you enforce no lane swapping pelase explain

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't even understand how this works. Do they put up impassable walls between the lanes or something?

bottom lane towers are weaker than the top towers now, the first tower to go down gives a first blood bonus. they basically brought back the old dragon giving gold but instead of a dragon its the bottom lane turret.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Radical posted:

bottom lane towers are weaker than the top towers now, the first tower to go down gives a first blood bonus. they basically brought back the old dragon giving gold but instead of a dragon its the bottom lane turret.

they took away the dragon?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't even understand how this works. Do they put up impassable walls between the lanes or something?

They made two primary changes; cannon minions now spawn in different waves per lane (so if you swap at an unfortunate time you miss a bunch of gold) and the first tower destroyed now gives 400 more gold.

Kainser posted:

Some of the decisionmaking from riot really makes me wonder how they became so dominant in the first place.

Like, how loving bad must HoN have been for example?

Buy to play, art design deterioration, quickly earning the title of "worst moba community", and trying "grassroots marketing" (aka please advertise for us)

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Kainser posted:

Some of the decisionmaking from riot really makes me wonder how they became so dominant in the first place.

Like, how loving bad must HoN have been for example?

HoN died due to the way pricing was structured, and floundered when they tried too late to catch up. It probably would have died harder in the long run due to most heroes being literal copies of dota heroes. And yea back in it's earlier days it was less about presenting itself as a dumbed down dota clone and more it's own game. Riot has since walked that way back and as a brand has focused solely on dumbing it down.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
re: HON just remember that Maliken was 100x worse than Gaben or the Riot CEO

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

They made two primary changes; cannon minions now spawn in different waves per lane (so if you swap at an unfortunate time you miss a bunch of gold) and the first tower destroyed now gives 400 more gold.

the cannon change didnt actually go through afaik

Up Circle posted:

they took away the dragon?

it doesnt give gold anymore, which effectively was the only reason to contest it (gold advantage is insanely strong early game because of the cost of items vs. the stats you get > the team that got the dragon won 90% of games or some stupid number like that)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Current-day LoL is pretty complicated in its own way; I wouldn't really call it dumbed down at this point

I remember when people got smarmy about lol having 4 item actives total and letting their bursters scale, what wild times we live in

Radical posted:

it doesnt give gold anymore, which effectively was the only reason to contest it (gold advantage is insanely strong early game because of the cost of items vs. the stats you get > the team that got the dragon won 90% of games or some stupid number like that)

My bad on the cannon change, glad they realized how obtuse that was

Dragon is randomized now; you can get fire (% damage increase), earth (true damage to towers), water (heal % of your missing mana and hp outside of battle) and wind (out of combat movespeed), and an elder dragon that doubles all earned dargon buffs. If its not air then its still very worth contesting

Also the thing out that dragon dominance 8s that doing drake uncontested require that both bot lane and jungler be doing super bad, so it has more to do with normal moba early advantage = likely to win snowballing

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 24, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

emdash posted:

I think the CEO of Riot saying to TSMReginald "maybe you should spend more of your money on your players" may actually be worse than "James is an rear end"

its definitely worse

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i for one am glad the dragon lives more often now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.twitch.tv/moonducktv

Pieliedie is standing in for kaipi again. Maybe he's out of secret too?

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Neurolimal posted:

Current-day LoL is pretty complicated in its own way; I wouldn't really call it dumbed down at this point

I remember when people got smarmy about lol having 4 item actives total and letting their bursters scale, what wild times we live in

I'll admit I haven't followed LoL since like 2012 but every time I hear anything about it it's some outrage about how Riot is intentionally restricting what roles champions can play or making it harder to solo queue (due to them wanting LoL to be an experience of stacking with your friends and less about finding creative ways to win). That just reeks of dumbed down gameplay to me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Radical posted:

Lmao what the gently caress does the dragon give now then? Some kind of buff?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

theres 4 elements of dragons and each one gives a stacking buff: ad/ap, movement speed, hp/mana over time, and bonus 'objective' (neutral monsters and buildings) damage

i actually think the idea is really good i just dont think it really works in league of legends, the relationship between gold and item efficiency in that game has always been flawed but they refuse to really look at it despite almost every champion design and art asset from the same period those metagame things were originally designed being scrapped.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Angrymantium posted:

I'll admit I haven't followed LoL since like 2012 but every time I hear anything about it it's some outrage about how Riot is intentionally restricting what roles champions can play or making it harder to solo queue (due to them wanting LoL to be an experience of stacking with your friends and less about finding creative ways to win). That just reeks of dumbed down gameplay to me.

I think most ppl think of like HOTS when they think of dumbing down, at this point. Actually simplifying trademark mechanics of the genre like last hitting, xp vicinity per team instead of per hero, team wide xp, no items, etc.

What riot does is more treating their player base as an adversary

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh my god this League drama is amazing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In all fairness talking about LoL has been a dota2 thread tradition for as long as actually playing/watching dota2

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
I tried watching a TSM v. CLG playoff game and then they had to remake due to a graphics bug and then disabled the hero for the rest of the series. Apparently the hero was a signature hero for CLG. How is this acceptable. I mean Dota has its bugs and has screwed over teams, but happens with lol way more.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mikeraskol posted:

This seems really stupid to me. PPD captains the team to three straight top 3 TI finishes, including one win, and he's out? And who replaces him as captain with Fear gone as well and Rtz in? There's nobody else on that team that can lead.

Though now I'm reading the rest of that thread and they are saying its two EG teams that moon is hinting at so who knows what is actually going on.

Speaking of things going disastrously in LoL, EG split into two teams there a few years ago and it was a disaster.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angrymantium posted:

HoN died due to the way pricing was structured, and floundered when they tried too late to catch up. It probably would have died harder in the long run due to most heroes being literal copies of dota heroes. And yea back in it's earlier days it was less about presenting itself as a dumbed down dota clone and more it's own game. Riot has since walked that way back and as a brand has focused solely on dumbing it down.

To be fair HoN died because Dota 2 came out because that game was sorta just Dota 1.5

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a shame too because they released a lot of cool gimmicks and features, its just....they came after they realized DOTA2 was sucking away its playerbase.

Maliken & co. were really confident that HoN generated player loyalty beyond "its standalone dota that looks nicer", which was just lmao

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Its funny hearing people discuss the history of League and Dota and HoN and talk about why certain games find success and why others don't when my personal decision to play Dota2 (I never played Dota1) was based on the thirty second google search that told me you had to pay per hero in League and Dota2 was free, and then looking at one screenshot of HoN.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Goetta posted:

To be fair HoN died because Dota 2 came out because that game was sorta just Dota 1.5

it died cus they refused to spend money on advertising and instead wanted to rely on word of mouth. But word of mouth is they are gently caress-ups who don't deliver their promises and get into slap fights with pro players on their forums (and all the Maliken poo poo). Then Dota2 is announced and they went F2P too late and added buying heroes/EA.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Dota doesn't have the CEO dropping slurs in pub games which is a nice upgrade from hon

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Goetta posted:

Yea at the very least there aren't many LoL heroes that are pretty much an actual existing dota hero but more powerful; obviously LoL champions have a lot in common with dota heroes but there are fewer direct ports than HoN had.

more like dICK posted:

Dota doesn't have the CEO dropping slurs in pub games which is a nice upgrade from hon

LoL has that in the form of devs banning people for randoming in ranked so

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
A lot of people I talk to when playing Dota have switched over from LoL due to Riot being cartoonishly inept in every way, so I wouldn't be surprised if their numbers keep dropping.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neurolimal posted:

I guess I don't understand how this prevents lane swapping, but those seem very silly anyway.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

I guess I don't understand how this prevents lane swapping, but those seem very silly anyway.

When you would lane-swap, both teams would exchange tower kills, too. Since there is now a first blood on towers, you do all you can to prevent yours from going down in the first few minutes of the game.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

IcePhoenix posted:

League snowballs ridiculously hard so giving up any gold advantage is going to cost you the game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

keep in mind they don't have tp scrolls or glyph. so they can't rush a tower then glyph and tp back to defend one. so you're basically trading towers and you don't want to be slower/leave it to chance. Early gold snowballs stupidly because the more gold you spend the more efficiency you get per gold spent on items.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kild posted:

keep in mind they don't have tp scrolls or glyph. so they can't rush a tower then glyph and tp back to defend one. so you're basically trading towers and you don't want to be slower/leave it to chance.

This is what I was missing. Thanks everyone.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kibner posted:

When you would lane-swap, both teams would exchange tower kills, too. Since there is now a first blood on towers, you do all you can to prevent yours from going down in the first few minutes of the game.
And because the bottom tower is weaker than the top tower, the team that switches to top probably loses the race.

For a game whose initial conceit was "let's make DotA but without a lot of the legacy Warcraft 3 nonsense in DotA", Riot seems fairly content to add new nonsense to their game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

Buy to play, art design deterioration, quickly earning the title of "worst moba community", and trying "grassroots marketing" (aka please advertise for us)

Who would have thought a game with lolita style character design has a bad community?

Edit - Oh wait, you're talking about HoN and not League.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 24, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

This is what I was missing. Thanks everyone.

they technically have it in the form of "summoner skills" but I think no one has ever picked the fort one, and the tp one was only used sparingly and only on 1 person on each team.

e: also they're 300s cd.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Kild posted:

Early gold snowballs stupidly because the more gold you spend the more efficiency you get per gold spent on items.

Why is it more efficient the more you spend? I've never played LoL so I don't understand this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Incoherence posted:

And because the bottom tower is weaker than the top tower, the team that switches to top probably loses the race.

For a game whose initial conceit was "let's make DotA but without a lot of the legacy Warcraft 3 nonsense in DotA", Riot seems fairly content to add new nonsense to their game.

Well, over the last 2 or so years the biggest obtuse changes have been that and giving top lane (and only top lane) giant armor/mr buffs to the tower for the first 6 minutes to counter the fact that 1 successful gank meant your top tower was gone

Iirc they extended that one to all lanes and added a tool tip to the towers explaining them, so thats not too bad

What was said earlier about the balancing being "player adversarial" is pretty true; they aren't actively malicious, but they want a specific metagame for esports and will take out off strats to circumvent it. This does lead to a fun arms race in its own way, of pro teams trying to find an exploitable mechanic to deploy in the big tourneys.

El Golden Goose posted:

Why is it more efficient the more you spend? I've never played LoL so I don't understand this.

Finished items have a higher value than unfinished items. It's different from dota where you finish items to free up item slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

El Golden Goose posted:

In dota, iron branch is pretty much the most gold efficient item but you can't abuse it because you can only hold six things. So as you spend gold to make bigger items in dota they get much less efficient for what you receive. In league its the opposite, the cheap small items are inefficient while LoLs equivalent of Daedalus is very gold efficient, so having a very small advantage quickly snowballs into a bigger and bigger advantage as you complete more higher tier items.

Thats how it was when I stopped playing/watching lol at least.

• Locked thread