Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I have a friend like that and he has kind of ruined his life and thrown away multiple relationships with amazing women completely dedicated to him. He is otherwise a great guy but has this huge insecurity where he needs drat near every woman he interacts with to at least tell him they would be happy to gently caress him even if he plans on responding by rejecting them because he has a girlfriend already. I also get the feeling he dumps girls he genuinely loves and is most attracted to in favour of ones that he doesn't like or find as attractive but who are generically hotter. Not because he is actually that shallow on a personal level of attraction, but because he is uncomfortable with other guys not thinking of him as the guy with the hottest girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Semi-related to fitness as a cure for Nice Guys: Nice Guys who manage to avoid becoming weird PUA's or MGTOW but manage to get in shape and join a frat/make a team seem to really double down on racking up as high a number as possible. I dunno if it's making up for lost time or new confidence but it's pretty funny to watch. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Oh my God yes.

I got a facebook message out of nowhere from this fat nerdy kid I went to high school with but hardly knew. It was about 6 or 8 years after high school and he had gotten way into P90x and distance running/biking, he must have lost about 100 lbs. At first he just wanted to talk to me about a long distance running event we both happened to be participating in, but then he switched over to talking about all the women he was loving. He even brought up how he recently hosed this girl who "friendzoned" him in high school.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Men treat women like things, news at 11 .

I guess what's worse is that men seem to assume that women are all doing the same thing. Just the other day, a guy I know was surprised that I don't intend to abuse another Guy's interest in me. He seems to generally think I approach romance in a mercenary way that I simply don't. Some women do though I guess. I don't know, it's depressing. Horses might poop a lot and be scared of tarps, but horses think I am nice, I bring them apples and scratch their withers

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Some women do, some men do. There's lovely people and good people everywhere.

I think most people are not lovely though, if a little dumb and selfish at times. That dude prolly just got burned bad in the past or something and now thinks all women are like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh and I had another convo with another guy I know who believes in only saying "practical and accurate" statements of affection. For some reason his girlfriend dumped him!!

She's asked him to tell her how he felt about her and he said "pretty good". He wanted me to confirm that this was correct and she was out of line to take it "the wrong way",

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But in the video games my companions have a 0 to 100 affection rating towards me and when I ask 'how are things going' they outline exactly how they feel in that moment in time based on the scale...

:confused:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ha ha yeah he's a programmer

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

Oh and I had another convo with another guy I know who believes in only saying "practical and accurate" statements of affection.

Pick posted:

Ha ha yeah he's a programmer

Does he drink Soylent?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

When I got burned real bad in a relationship there were moments where I was tempted to think all women were like that, especially given I come from a family where even my own mother admits all the women are hosed up, so ive been exposed to a lot of female shittiness. But I also have a bunch of great female friends and have also had women who are barely even acquaintances be ridiculously compassionate to me with no provocation just because they picked up that I was feeling a little down.

Ultimate attribution error refers to the common human tendency to attribute the bad behaviour of members of groups we aren't a part of to their membership in that group, such that if you see someone of a different race/gender/minimal group deviation do something bad you are more likely to think it must be because of their race/gender/minimal group deviation than if they were the same as your own, in which case you would be more likely to judge them as an individual. Contact theory shows this is usually overcome just by having opportunities for positive or neutral interaction with members of the outgroup. Nice guys and their female equivalents isolate themselves from opportunities for positive or neutral interaction, either through literally shying away from most cross gender interaction or by unintentionally causing all interactions to become negative through their own behaviour.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

Ultimate attribution error refers to the common human tendency to attribute the bad behaviour of members of groups we aren't a part of to their membership in that group, such that if you see someone of a different race/gender/minimal group deviation do something bad you are more likely to think it must be because of their race/gender/minimal group deviation than if they were the same as your own, in which case you would be more likely to judge them as an individual.

Yeah pretty much. It's hella easy to do this even when you know you're doing it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

AWALT is one of Red Pill's mottos, which kinda sums up their thinking.

naem
May 29, 2011

Pick posted:

Horses might poop a lot and be scared of tarps, but horses think I am nice, I bring them apples and scratch their withers

This describes us men well too

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
It seems to me (and I am by no means a psychiatrist, so take this with a grain of salt) that women tend to internalize anger while men externalize it. Like if a man and a woman are both working on motorcycles, and neither motorcycle will start, the man will say, "the cocksucker won't start" while the woman will probably say something like "I can't get it to start."

YMMV, of course, but it seems to me that a lot of the Red Pill misogynist bullshit on the internet stems from lonely men turning their anger and frustration outward while being unwilling to acknowledge their own faults and failures.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Frosted Flake posted:

AWALT is one of Red Pill's mottos, which kinda sums up their thinking.

What does that stand for?

naem
May 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Semi-related to fitness as a cure for Nice Guys: Nice Guys who manage to avoid becoming weird PUA's or MGTOW but manage to get in shape and join a frat/make a team seem to really double down on racking up as high a number as possible. I dunno if it's making up for lost time or new confidence but it's pretty funny to watch. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Blue Train posted:

they're still insecure and realise that finally accomplishing this goal of getting some pussy was actually shallow so they devote themselves to loving as many people as possible in vain attempt to find the meaning they assigned to it

Haha nope I don't, yeah not me heh um because,

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mr. 47 posted:

Always Wear A Little Trilby

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Mr. 47 posted:

It seems to me (and I am by no means a psychiatrist, so take this with a grain of salt) that women tend to internalize anger while men externalize it. Like if a man and a woman are both working on motorcycles, and neither motorcycle will start, the man will say, "the cocksucker won't start" while the woman will probably say something like "I can't get it to start."

YMMV, of course, but it seems to me that a lot of the Red Pill misogynist bullshit on the internet stems from lonely men turning their anger and frustration outward while being unwilling to acknowledge their own faults and failures.

Funny you should say that. "The cocksucker won't start" is also reflection of what Nice Guys basically feel when Biocunt #6969 doesn't respond to the correct stimulus.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Some women do, some men do. There's lovely people and good people everywhere.

I think most people are not lovely though, if a little dumb and selfish at times. That dude prolly just got burned bad in the past or something and now thinks all women are like that.

Lunchposting so I can't be too thorough, but:

Attitudes like that are self-reinforcing though. If you treat women like they're golddiggers and serial abusers, they're likely to pick up on it and be like, "Well, fine then, I guess that's what we're supposed to do." And yeah, I've known women like that. I've known some who grew out of it and some who grew into it. I know women who exempted themselves from relationships with men completely and married women and aren't lesbians, they just lost faith that good relationships with men were possible (thereby increasing the percentage of women who are lovely abusers in the pool of single women, coincidentally). But I don't think that denying groups the benefit of the doubt helps you, or helps the people around you. I think that kind of cynicism breeds cynicism. And if you expect your partner to be lovely, you'll probably accept someone who is lovely, and then lo and behold, they're lovely. And then you come away more convinced than ever that people are lovely. Hell, I think some people enter lovely relationships for the validation that relationships are lovely.

I don't know, there are a lot of men I know (some of whom I would have been happy to date) who essentially charged me to prove that women aren't lovely, but they maintained a sliding scale that was also unrealistic considering who they were and what they offered emotionally. And I get tired of being "one of the good ones" but forced to answer for "the bad ones". Yeah, some people get super burned, I've been super burned dozens and dozens of times by people, but that doesn't mean you stop having friends or stop dating. Even if 99% of people are lovely, okay, then date a hundred. You only have to find the one.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Yeah, some people get super burned, I've been super burned dozens and dozens of times by people, but that doesn't mean you stop having friends or stop dating. Even if 99% of people are lovely, okay, then date a hundred. You only have to find the one.

Yeah.

People are piss babies though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

. Contact theory shows this is usually overcome just by having opportunities for positive or neutral interaction with members of the outgroup. Nice guys and their female equivalents isolate themselves from opportunities for positive or neutral interaction, either through literally shying away from most cross gender interaction or by unintentionally causing all interactions to become negative through their own behaviour.

Yeah, pretty much.

I think a lot of it is also people's standards for themselves, as well as their standards for others. They think if they gently caress up one time, their relationship with another person is over, so they don't take risks, they don't really get to the heart of things. They likewise think if someone else fucks up one time, their relationship is over (and sometimes it is or has been, because of other people's unreasonable standards). You end up with a situation where people hate themselves and are intolerant of others because they can't forgive mistakes, even their own mistakes, which is why they usually try to re-cast them as "not mistakes" or otherwise fail to acknowledge or address them. I also think it drives men and women to vie for perfect "no-risk" partners, but anyone who seems like they come at absolutely no risk is a tailored product, and a sham. No one is perfect, every relationship comes with risks, and to fall for a shyster's carefully-crafted persona is a guaranteed tragedy.

I mean, if you ever want to feel sorry for Rupert Murdoch (whaaaaaat??? that's possible?!) read up on Wendi Deng, the master of the craft.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mr. 47 posted:

All Women Are Like That.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just for the record, here are some common things I hear:

- You are smart
- You are attractive
- You are good at [activity]
- You are funny

These are decent compliments for a relationship, and things that Mr. "Pretty Good" might say. But it would be nice to throw in a few:

- You bring light to my life
- You make me feel like I could do anything
- I feel like I am better for knowing you
- When I am with you I can see things in a whole new way
- You make me feel excited about the future

And the difference between those kind of statements is significant. The former are affirmations of status. The latter are personal sentiments.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

People are piss babies though.

My getting super burned experience occasionally involved literal burns, and I eventually got over it enough to date and have trust in the basic goodness of other people again. If I could do it anyone can, but I do think it depends on having a bunch of nonromantic friendships and relationships. A lot of these angry dudes seem like they are completely isolated and putting all of their need for affection and all of their resentment for not having it on whatever woman they encounter. While i don't think pick really understands male friendships they are right in some ways, because I think a lot of men don't understand the need to have friends, or at least aren't comfortable seeking them out or expressing a desire for them when they are alone.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Pick posted:

Men treat women like things, news at 11 .

Is there a Pink Pill for proclaiming All Men Are Like That (AMALT) and then complaining that their compliments aren't complimenty enough

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So Political Lesbians actually exist?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

"You are smart and good at what you do" is a compliment a normal person gives that centralizes the praise on their partner. "You're the light of my life and you make me feel like I'm able to fly" is something someone says in a movie roughly three scenes before they've turned into an active stalker

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I told a girl I was in a long term relationship with that I felt like she was a core part of who I am as a person and that she gives my life more meaning and she responded by saying 'gee that's a lot of pressure to place on me can't you just stick to saying my boobs are mad perky like you usually do'

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Just for the record, here are some common things I hear:

- You are smart
- You are attractive
- You are good at [activity]
- You are funny

These are decent compliments for a relationship, and things that Mr. "Pretty Good" might say. But it would be nice to throw in a few:

- You bring light to my life
- You make me feel like I could do anything
- I feel like I am better for knowing you
- When I am with you I can see things in a whole new way
- You make me feel excited about the future

And the difference between those kind of statements is significant. The former are affirmations of status. The latter are personal sentiments.

this is extremely trite fyi

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Women I date say I'm smart, funny, cool, rich, handsome, big dick, master of sports (and other activities ;)), but they never really say what's really important, that I am God and could wipe out all of humankind if I wanted to

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 24, 2016

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Pick is the only person who watched the Star Wars prequels and identified Anakin and Padme as her #relationshipgoals

gateway
Aug 24, 2016

by Smythe

gigawhite posted:

Women I date say I'm smart, funny, cool, rich, handsome, big dick, master of sports (and other activities ;)), but they never really say what's really important

that they text u that u have a big dick while they stuck @ work and then they throw out their dillz as tribute 2 u

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Seriously. Someone can be fun and good to have in your life but that doesn't make them an essential part of who you are.

Red Pill peeps take this too far by seeing women as being an interchangeable series of holes, but this is not a whole lot better and will do weird things to you when you break up.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Seriously. Someone can be fun and good to have in your life but that doesn't make them an essential part of who you are.

Red Pill peeps take this too far by seeing women as being an interchangeable series of holes, but this is not a whole lot better and will do weird things to you when you break up.

I said it to someone I was engaged to, where I feel it is appropriate for someone to be considered a part of who you are. But you might be right because it did do weird things to me upon breaking up.

gateway posted:

that they text u that u have a big dick while they stuck @ work and then they throw out their dillz as tribute 2 u

I always hate it when women are all 'its soooooo big' because I know it's actually about average so I interpret it as them assuming I need reassurance when I really don't. It must be a really ingrained habit for women though because every girl I've ever said this to ends up messing up when switching to other descriptives, like "you have such a bi--nice dick...you have a nice dick".

gateway
Aug 24, 2016

by Smythe
i think comforting ppls insecurities with lies is silly in the long term and only gets u hosed

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

To be fair if they're at the point where they're commenting on your dick size they're probably looking to get hosed.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Pick posted:

Oh and I had another convo with another guy I know who believes in only saying "practical and accurate" statements of affection. For some reason his girlfriend dumped him!!

She's asked him to tell her how he felt about her and he said "pretty good". He wanted me to confirm that this was correct and she was out of line to take it "the wrong way",

He's not wrong and she's not wrong. They're just wrong for each other.

Anyone who can't recognize that is always wrong.

edit: Actually that's not fair. It's a valid way to feel. It just that you're simple. The world needs simpletons, too. But they're uninteresting and unimaginative.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 24, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Frosted Flake posted:

So Political Lesbians actually exist?

they're more like bisexuals who decided not to deal with men

I'm sure some of them still see themselves as straight but there's not much straight sleeping with and marrying your own gender lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moon Atari posted:

I always hate it when women are all 'its soooooo big' because I know it's actually about average so I interpret it as them assuming I need reassurance when I really don't. It must be a really ingrained habit for women though because every girl I've ever said this to ends up messing up when switching to other descriptives, like "you have such a bi--nice dick...you have a nice dick".

While I admire your subtle attempts at manipulation, please do not post pictures of your dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Every time I pull down my pants and show my dick to a new girl she always says "spicy!!" Every single time. The pants come down and my ding dong flops out and she says "spicy!!" This happens every. single. time

• Locked thread