Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
TSMs going to win worlds this year and then I'm going to stop watching comp league. If I'm wrong, ban "the mattybee". This is my promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Radical posted:

dyrus is actually a really popular streamer dude. even scarra gets 5,000 viewers on the reg and hes one of the lesser popular streamers.

Scarra's actually a really interesting case, IMO. He was hugely popular when he was a player (relative position of where Bjerg/Doublelift/Sneaky are now when they stream), burned out on it and basically stopped for quite a while, then has had to grind his way up into the public consciousness again from being like a 1-1.5k viewer stream (a nice starting point, but way below the threshold for a popular league stream). It's mostly been raw hustle on his part - things like going out of his way to seek out analyst desk positions, the show with QT, and the interview job he does for TheScore eSports are stuff that TheOddOne didn't bother with.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

when you think about it all this drama was actually started by scarra. this is his revenge for dynamic queue.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
people forgot about the fnatic financial ties scandal real quick

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kashuno posted:

people forgot about the fnatic financial ties scandal real quick

This is still the biggest story of the week for lol, by far. FNC is an enormous league brand and G2 is the best EU team; but you have to imagine there will be more than a slap on the wrist if the two owners are really in collusion or w/e.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
wouldn't be surprised to see fnatic sell the team to dignitas if riot pushes them, fnatic makes much more money from csgo and dota

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

exethan posted:

fnatic makes much more money from csgo and dota

apparently so does everyone else

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Radical posted:

when you think about it all this drama was actually started by scarra. this is his revenge for dynamic queue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5676n11NA

"Eventually everything will be controlled by Riot...A pro's life could be dramatically changed depending on whether Riot likes them or not and it makes me uncomfortable knowing my future lays on being on Riot's good side. Aside from that, Riot has artificially inflated the competitive scene and not allowing natural growth and it's questionable going forward because you can't continue to grow without having backlash with such complete control. Unlike the original DOTA that had natural growth and in tern became a long, successful game with a very stable e-sports scene eventually, Riot is injecting growth into League of Legends 3 years into this game."

Scarra, the prophet, talking about this exact scenario 4 years ago.

As well as mentioning how hard it's going to be in the future to play new champion and compete at the top levels if you've got to sink so much time into the game just to unlock new champions...Back when there were 104 champions.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I didn't read the thread for four days, but apparently major ish is happening. Is there a summary somewhere so I don't have to read 500 posts

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

still waiting for some EU team owners to weigh in on this because i bet things are 100% more hosed over there since riot seems to care a whole lot more about NA

Shadow225 posted:

I didn't read the thread for four days, but apparently major ish is happening. Is there a summary somewhere so I don't have to read 500 posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/4zbtma/rough_tldr_of_the_current_problems_for_everyone/

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sexpansion posted:

This is still the biggest story of the week for lol, by far. FNC is an enormous league brand and G2 is the best EU team; but you have to imagine there will be more than a slap on the wrist if the two owners are really in collusion or w/e.
I mentioned it before, I really think they'll wait until after World's to make a ruling on this and it probably will be worded in such that doesn't make FNC/G2 look like the bad guys in the same way they painted Monte/Badawi to be absolute villains

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
With all this happening, investors are probably already a bit put off. Not punishing fnatic will probably be worse

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yo thanks. Just have sponsors sponsor skins. You know a Mountain Dew Singed would be money.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
The International Wildcard Qualifier for the World Championship starts in two hours. There should be an english stream at http://twitch.tv/RiotGamesOceania

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I don't think anyone posted this yet, but Thorin's video on the drama is out, its good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oILTlJLDaZI

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

RealFoxy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5676n11NA

"Eventually everything will be controlled by Riot...A pro's life could be dramatically changed depending on whether Riot likes them or not and it makes me uncomfortable knowing my future lays on being on Riot's good side. Aside from that, Riot has artificially inflated the competitive scene and not allowing natural growth and it's questionable going forward because you can't continue to grow without having backlash with such complete control. Unlike the original DOTA that had natural growth and in tern became a long, successful game with a very stable e-sports scene eventually, Riot is injecting growth into League of Legends 3 years into this game."

Scarra, the prophet, talking about this exact scenario 4 years ago.

As well as mentioning how hard it's going to be in the future to play new champion and compete at the top levels if you've got to sink so much time into the game just to unlock new champions...Back when there were 104 champions.

If there's one thing I think all org owners would agree on it's that instead of this whole LCS fiasco they would rather have the very stable e-sports scene of the original DOTA.

(Also, not a single person at the top levels needs to grind to unlock anything.)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Radical posted:

still waiting for some EU team owners to weigh in on this because i bet things are 100% more hosed over there since riot seems to care a whole lot more about NA

Eh, EU has a much more robust social safety net so players on the margins aren't getting screwed nearly as hard as NA

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Also, looks like Riot pressed the Big Red Button in the office marked "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BRING BACK SOLO QUEUE"

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/competitive/riot-pls-ranked-pls

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they've actually been talking about this for a little while now but i think the timing of putting this out now was somewhat intentional

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Radical posted:

they've actually been talking about this for a little while now but i think the timing of putting this out now was somewhat intentional

This comment from Pywff on reddit makes me believe its entirely intentional:

quote:

This is landing in some sub-optimal timing and conversation, but was planned a few weeks out (main reason for the delay was we wanted to be sure this time. Like last time. And the time before.).

We'll be around to answer some questions, except if you ask what the details are because we're still figuring it out.

"We can answer questions, unless they are questions about this, in which case we don't know."

I doubt they would have announced this without having most of the details figured out, unless some Riot higher up just immediately yelled "ANNOUNCE IT NOW!!".

Also:

quote:

sub-optimal

Pwyff is such a memer :3:.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 24, 2016

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Championship Zed isn't that big of a deal but Riot Re-Releasing Championship Riven for everyone is. Probably like 5% of the people still playing from Season 2 have it and all of them are complaining loudly.

This is from 2 pages back, but they totally hosed over people who owned S1 and S2 holiday event skins. They constantly said on the forums they would never bring them back, then a few years ago they completely changed tack and now they bring them back every time that holiday shows up. The compensation they gave people who bought them in the original run amounted to an RP refund, which is decent I guess but still doesn't make up for it, and a really lovely overlay on the loading screen splash. It really ticks me off that when they were talking about why they weren't bringing Championship Riven back they said it would be unfair to players who bought it with the expectation it would be exclusive, because they already burned that loving bridge! If they hadn't gone and run their mouths about the holiday skins being exclusive so many times before bringing them back anyways, I wouldn't care, but as it is it was extremely dumb. Riot Squad Singed is still exclusive, at least. I think...

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

They've said for years they'll likely bring back championship riven when there's five championship skins for bundling purposes

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Silento posted:

This is from 2 pages back, but they totally hosed over people who owned S1 and S2 holiday event skins. They constantly said on the forums they would never bring them back, then a few years ago they completely changed tack and now they bring them back every time that holiday shows up. The compensation they gave people who bought them in the original run amounted to an RP refund, which is decent I guess but still doesn't make up for it, and a really lovely overlay on the loading screen splash. It really ticks me off that when they were talking about why they weren't bringing Championship Riven back they said it would be unfair to players who bought it with the expectation it would be exclusive, because they already burned that loving bridge! If they hadn't gone and run their mouths about the holiday skins being exclusive so many times before bringing them back anyways, I wouldn't care, but as it is it was extremely dumb. Riot Squad Singed is still exclusive, at least. I think...

quote:

all of them are complaining loudly.
I'm not mad that I have to give up the "hey nice skin" comments I get playing ARAM once every couple months for a chance to get skins I missed out on. I've played since Season 1, there are pros going to World's this year that didn't start until Season 3.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I'm not mad that I have to give up the "hey nice skin" comments I get playing ARAM once every couple months for a chance to get skins I missed out on. I've played since Season 1, there are pros going to World's this year that didn't start until Season 3.

Oh yeah I totally bought Mundo Mundo and Lollipoppy when they came back, it just feels really dishonest.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
lol

https://twitter.com/bedraggles/status/768523472666435584

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
wonder how soon he gets fired

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Scarra and QT's next show should have this as the screen the entire time they're talking about Riot's PR:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I love the literal dozen of Rioters flocking to the SoloQ reddit thread all clamoring, "This announcement is a coincidence! Honest!! Thinking otherwise is just being paranoid :)"

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I have Championship Riven and I'd only care if I was planning on selling my account and I'm probably never going to do that so gently caress it let whoever wants it have it.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
BP Riot: "We're sorry"

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1mhh

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im not going to read that because monte is going to make a 30 minute video where he reads it to me and makes funny faces im assuming. maybe tryndamere ran that one by PR first this time (considering the length i really hope he did)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Our 2017 plans include new in-game team-specific items with revenue-sharing for teams and pros, as well as smaller steps like working with teams to sell more jerseys - currently in the NA LCS studio store and at the summer finals in Toronto - and with the cooperation of teams, we hope to bring them to our online store as well.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Wildcard matches on soon http://watch.na.lolesports.com/en_US/international-wildcard/en

e: wow Riot is playing some amazingly horrendous music here

panda clue
May 23, 2014
"We did a poor job of communicating - we'll do better next year. Honest."

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

It's basically saying Andy is right and we'll be better in the future plz don't hate us

panda clue
May 23, 2014
It is concerning that he points out "we already do profit sharing!" when the NME owner made very clear how pathetically small that amount is. It makes it seem like, if they do add more profit sharing opportunities, they will be woefully inadequate.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

panda clue posted:

It is concerning that he points out "we already do profit sharing!" when the NME owner made very clear how pathetically small that amount is. It makes it seem like, if they do add more profit sharing opportunities, they will be woefully inadequate.

Don't worry Riot will let the teams sell t-shirts at the LCS studio. That'll fix the problem.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I love Atlus and Spawn

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So... I have an open question regarding the IWC broadcast: should I care about any of these games? Any chance any of them will be fun? Or, for want of that, at least good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lol

E: this guy and company are so full of poo poo. at least PR got to him before he could say some more retarded poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 24, 2016

• Locked thread