Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

theflyingorc posted:

The number of metros that aren't really that conveniently connected to airports in America is kinda infuriating

WELCOME TO JFK, TAKE LIKE 14 TRAINS TO GET INTO NEW YORK

lovely airport mass transit connections are less "racist fuckers" and more "this way we can charge $20/day for parking, $2 per taxi pickup, and rental car lots will be in high demand!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

The number of metros that aren't really that conveniently connected to airports in America is kinda infuriating

JFK is like the easiest airport to get to the city from.

Take the long island RR to penn station and hop on basically any subway from there, or just take the E in.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/768545164763750400

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Denver finally has a lightrail connection out to the airport. Still doesn't help that it's 30 minutes from downtown.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Heteroy posted:

The Metrorail never made its planned expansion onto Miami Beach because even if county votes supported it, there has always been an effective movement against letting "those types" in. Miami Beach also used to be a sundown town before the 60's.

Unrelated, but Metrorail was started in 1971 and only just connected to the airport a couple years ago.

As a former South Floridian, I well-recall the (Why-Even-)Tri-rail system to take people from downtown Miami to white-and-rich-as-gently caress Boca Raton and how it was totally empty because it didn't go anywhere useful (because hispanic people live there)

Lotka Volterra posted:

Denver finally has a lightrail connection out to the airport. Still doesn't help that it's 30 minutes from downtown.
God, the loving graft and inconvenience of DIA.

Also pre-recorded anti-skyway-collapse shaman chanting.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 24, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Edit:Disregard, I apparently failed to load a page

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 24, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Winner is Jew posted:

JFK is like the easiest airport to get to the city from.

Take the long island RR to penn station and hop on basically any subway from there, or just take the E in.

You have to take the airtrain or something to get from the airport to the subway/lirr station. But yeah, after that it's mostly just time and then you're in Manhattan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://www.aclu.org/blog/washington-markup/town-near-you-people-are-being-evicted-their-homes-because-they-called-police

Call the police and get evicted. Nice.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the link station connects seatac airport directly to downtown seattle with shuttles departing every five minutes :chord:

strong words when the best celebrity endorsement he could get was scott frigging baio

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

one of the few good things about atlanta's metro

the trains aren't convenient to much but they roll you right into baggage claim. the southernmost stop in the whole system is the airport so there is only one possible transfer

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 24, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

one of the few good things about atlanta's metro

the trains aren't convenient to much but they roll you right into baggage claim

Even LAX wants you to take a shuttle to the Green Line.

Chicago's the only other city I can think of where the train goes right to the airport.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That's some hosed up poo poo right there.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Two polls out today, Monmouth and CNN, show HRC with slight leads in NC. But the real news:
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/768543172788092928

If McCrory loses his seat over HB2, that will chill the gently caress out of similar efforts in other states.

It'd be great if that fucker loses, but the new guy won't be able to do poo poo if Republicans still have a supermajority in the legislature.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

quote:

In Norristown, Pennsylvania, a tenant’s boyfriend physically assaulted her, and she called 911. The police arrested her boyfriend but told her that if she made more calls to the police, she would be evicted. After this, the tenant was terrified to call the police despite her boyfriend’s escalating violence. When he came back again and stabbed her in the neck, her neighbors called the police and she was airlifted to the hospital. The city pressured her landlord to evict, and days later, she received an eviction notice.

:stare:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
DC's gonna get that Dulles metro extension . . . it's coming you guys . . . any day now!

(they literally are working on it--I drive by the construction every day--but it has taken so, so long)

National airport has a stop already though

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Chicago's the only other city I can think of where the train goes right to the airport.

iirc philly does too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

It'd be great if that fucker loses, but the new guy won't be able to do poo poo if Republicans still have a supermajority in the legislature.

I'd be real surprised if that issue combined with Trump isn't dragging on statehouse races too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah this is another in a long list of hosed up poo poo the police do that can't be blamed on "bad apples"

quote:

In Norristown, Pennsylvania, a tenant’s boyfriend physically assaulted her, and she called 911. The police arrested her boyfriend but told her that if she made more calls to the police, she would be evicted. After this, the tenant was terrified to call the police despite her boyfriend’s escalating violence. When he came back again and stabbed her in the neck, her neighbors called the police and she was airlifted to the hospital. The city pressured her landlord to evict, and days later, she received an eviction notice.

That'll show her for not obeying her man!

quote:

In Binghamton, New York, a tenant was a victim of a home invasion and burglary, and his neighbor called the police. The tenant told the police that he didn’t know his assailants or why he was targeted. But the city cited the landlord, and the landlord assured city officials that all tenants in the building had been or would be evicte

That'll show them for getting robbed!

quote:

In Blakely, Pennsylvania, a neighbor called the police and accused a tenant of leaving her child unattended on the porch of the home. The Department of Children and Youth Services deemed the allegation unfounded, but the call to the police was still counted as a strike against the mother under the local ordinance.

That'll show them for getting a false report filed against them!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

This sounds like something out of a Kafka novel.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

DCA in DC. SFO also, sort of (you'll have to catch the airport train to get to your specific terminal.)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

my father more or less called me a race traitor because i support affirmative action and because i don't buy his malarkey about how students from places like richmond or compton are "inherently" less qualified than some rich brat from a place like cupertino or san marino

:qq: you don't care about how the left discriminates against chinese :qq:

Heard about that kind of sentiment among older Asian communities. The idea that they place as the "model minority" and are superior to us "lessers" has been noted as quite strong among some groups. It makes no sense and just strengthens the institutionalized racism all minorities face, but I guess it's about as rational as any other bias.

Being quiet is far easier than being safe, so kick out anyone who dares to be victimized or darker than balsa wood.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If they want to convince waspy suburbanites to pony up for light rail service/infrastructure they need to sell it in terms they understand.

Tell them it means less poor people sharing the road with them; wasps will love that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WampaLord posted:

You can get to 2 airports directly from the train in DC. And (allegedly) a third soon.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

LAX is the 9'th level of hell.

I say that as someone that not only flies out of there on a regular basis, but has done a poo poo load of engineering there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

El Scotch posted:

If they want to convince waspy suburbanites to pony up for light rail service/infrastructure they need to sell it in terms they understand.

Tell them it means less poor people sharing the road with them; wasps will love that.

The ones in Atlanta just cry about their taxes (they complained about SPLOST, which was practically a penny tax) and then argued for more buses and toll lanes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

The ones in Atlanta just cry about their taxes (they complained about SPLOST, which was practically a penny tax) and then argued for more buses and toll lanes.

this isn't accurate. agencies like cobb transit and gwinnett transit are just there to be like "see? we don't need marta, we can take care of transit ourseves" even if the buses are functionally useless

e: they did reject the splost tho, although gwinnett will tip soon into the yes column as it gets less white

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

emdash posted:

DC's gonna get that Dulles metro extension . . . it's coming you guys . . . any day now!

(they literally are working on it--I drive by the construction every day--but it has taken so, so long)

Good god it still isn't done?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, what? You take two trains, one is the airport circulator, and the other is your choice of three different subway lines (which serve different areas) or the various commuter rail lines (which go straight to midtown more or less, or take you out all over Long Island if you need to go there). It's one of the best connected airports to the local system in the world, let alone the country!

Also I don't know why you act like this is an "America" problem, connecting airports directly into regional transit systems that aren't just buses is actually pretty rare worldwide, even for many major cities, and of those that have them most have only gained the connection in the past 20 odd years.

WampaLord posted:

Philadelphia has a commuter rail line that terminates at the airport terminals, and the DC Metro has two lines that go straight into National Airport. Baltimore light rail has a line that terminates right by the international terminal.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

El Scotch posted:

This but unironically. The wasps I know seem to like public transport when it's spun as traffic reduction.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Dallas has light rail that runs to DFW. The light rail system here actually isn't that bad if you're trying to get to downtown from a suburb, not sure how nice it is for anything else.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

And people wonder why there's public outcry about police abusing power. Hell, I'm shocked we're not awash in IRAesque terrorism targeting them.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Moatman posted:

Good god it still isn't done?

The first half is done. The second half out to Dulles -- 2020. Maybe

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

emdash posted:

It's getting fairly close. I drove up the 267 toll road every day when I was in Falls Church working up near Dulles for the last year and a half, and it made solid progress. Granted, it could have been going since the first Bush admin for all I know.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

El Scotch posted:

But then their precious hard earned money will go to filthy moochers.

You really underestimate the sheer depth of the spite behind the tightfistedness of WASPs. It's not about them saving money, it's about the Other getting less than they have.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Seattle!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Baltimore has a light rail and a commuter train that both drop you off right at the airport, though I guess with the latter you have to take a shuttle bus to your terminal

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

emdash posted:

http://patch.com/district-columbia/washingtondc/police-open-investigation-east-falls-church-metro-train-derailment

I think we still have a lot of other poo poo to get in order before that ever gets completed.

also

https://comstock.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-comstock-s-statement-ntsb-report-metro-derailment

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crow Jane posted:

Baltimore has a light rail and a commuter train that both drop you off right at the airport, though I guess with the latter you have to take a shuttle bus to your terminal

Man, I love that shuttle bus though. I'm usually about half dead at 6am stumbling blindly out of the hotel and onto the shuttle, and those drivers are pretty awesome.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this isn't accurate. agencies like cobb transit and gwinnett transit are just there to be like "see? we don't need marta, we can take care of transit ourseves" even if the buses are functionally useless

e: they did reject the splost tho, although gwinnett will tip soon into the yes column as it gets less white

When I lived in Gwinnett, it was still terrified of those people and frantically denying Marta. I go back to visit, and there are ostensibly some buses, but they're entirely useless. Google maps told me my trip from Gwinnet to L5P would take three hours by public transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hillary is giving a speech on the alt-right tomorrow, focusing on Bannon. They got a new ad out for it too.

https://twitter.com/gotdem/status/768543536564215808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Locked thread