Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I tend to pick JetSetRadio man if I'm lagging because well, it's not like I'm really going to hit anyone. I'll just Heal or Wall-ride/Bunny-hop like a rabbit on crack and I'll still be useful.
JetSetRadioing all over the Payload is great too, I love how just one single enemy on the load stops it dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For some reason the best place to farm them is at the Whale's Graveyard. An easy fix for this problem would be the option to recycle worthless monster-mutagens like the Wraiths.

You get that ability through renovations at Corvo Blanco.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I'm playing through Sly Cooper 1 for the first time. I like it but there are a few things that make me mad at the game. For one, it has a lives system where the penalty is non-existent. Why even have it then? Also, the camera is inverted. Am in the era of games where the camera is on the right stick but game developers though up was down and left was right?

It's hard to tell where a platform is in relation to Sly and Sly's jumps are floaty which is also an issue I remember having with platformers from the early 2000's. Also from game design in the early 2000's, some levels are minigames that aren't that fun. I don't know if Sucker Punch thought the player would get bored or they got bored making regular levels but they aren't good minigames. I played through one last night that was a car race using only the left analog stick and the cars didn't have an speed to them and it was better to stay in the middle of the track because trying to take a turn on the inside resulted in hitting the railing more often than not.

My last complaint is against the first boss of the game. It breaks the 'three hits to kill rule' which is fine but it then also breaks the boss's pattern. For the first three hits you jump from platform to platform dodging the boss and hitting him when his attack is over ( a pattern done to death by every video game but fine). Then recovering from the third hit, he spins and whips his tongue around which the player has to jump over. I wasn't ready for it and died. Then the game doesn't even have the charity to start me from there. It's an easy, short fight once I knew it was coming (minus arguing with the platforming) but that curve ball from before was frustrating.

BallisticClipboard has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Aug 22, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The cloudburst fight towards the end of Arkham Knight is some major bullshit in a game that has otherwise been excellent. You have to hit a huge tank's four weak spots with a cannon that locks on veeeery sloooowly. The weak spots are on its left, right, front and back, so you have to position yourself correctly while it's driving around, and while you're dodging its rotating cone of vision. As soon as you hit it it knows where you are and starts chasing you at top speed, constantly firing three different weapons and cornering about as fast as you do, and you can't hit it from far away cause you'll lose your lock-on. And to top it off, only once you've done that do you get to deplete its energy bar by firing at the weak spot on its front, which means you're going to be driving in reverse while it pelts you with missiles, and let's just say it's a good thing they at least set a checkpoint between the two phases that refills your energy.

I can absolutely see what kind of boss fight they were going for, but each of its many elements interacts with the others in juuust such a way that the whole thing comes together into something deeply, and uncharacteristically for the game, unpleasant and frustrating.

e: there's also entirely too much going on in fights now but that was already a thing in Arkham City. Too many different prompts, too many gadgets, too many multiple press button combinations. But at least once you nail it, a complex fight is fun.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Aug 22, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BallisticClipboard posted:

I'm playing through Sly Cooper 1 for the first time. I like it but there are a few things that make me mad at the game. For one, it has a lives system where the penalty is non-existent. Why even have it then? Also, the camera is inverted. Am in the era of games where the camera is on the right stick but game developers though up was down and left was right?

It's hard to tell where a platform is in relation to Sly and Sly's jumps are floaty which is also an issue I remember having with platformers from the early 2000's. Also from game design in the early 2000's, some levels are minigames that aren't that fun. I don't know if Sucker Punch thought the player would get bored or they got bored making regular levels but they aren't good minigames. I played through one last night that was a car race using only the left analog stick and the cars didn't have an speed to them and it was better to stay in the middle of the track because trying to take a turn on the inside resulted in hitting the railing more often than not.

My last complaint is against the first boss of the game. It breaks the 'three hits to kill rule' which is fine but it then also breaks the boss's pattern. For the first three hits you jump from platform to platform dodging the boss and hitting him when his attack is over ( a pattern done to death by every video game but fine). Then recovering from the third hit, he spins and whips his tongue around which the player has to jump over. I wasn't ready for it and died. Then the game doesn't even have the charity to start me from there. It's an easy, short fight once I knew it was coming (minus arguing with the platforming) but that curve ball from before was frustrating.

Sly 1 is a great platformer with some really not so great flaws. Personally I like it the least of the 3, even though it does have a fond place in my memory as one of my first PS2 games. Thankfully the second game fixes pretty much all of that.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Leal posted:

Rimworld: Occasionally you'll have someone asking for asylum, the obvious reward is getting a new colonist but you have to fight off their pursuers. The problem is that you can't see their stats or personalities before accepting or declining. So for all you know you took on dead weight, possibly taking in someone who refuses to do every labor besides growing plants who is depressed and pessimistic.

E: If you want entrance to safety you gotta pay the toll is all I'm saying

Sure you get a lovely colonist but then you get complete control of that colonist. If they can't haul or do dumb labor, well maybe the best thing for them to do is stand in front of the huge pack of raiders coming to kidnap them. Problem solved!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

Sure you get a lovely colonist but then you get complete control of that colonist. If they can't haul or do dumb labor, well maybe the best thing for them to do is stand in front of the huge pack of raiders coming to kidnap them. Problem solved!

Wasteful. All those perfectly good organs going unharvested.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

...Arkham Knight...major bullshit...tank...

Agreed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

An option when the follow up raid happens that allows you to hand the guy back over would be great. Oh, you think hauling poo poo is below you? Welp, guess who is going back to a slaver camp rear end in a top hat?

And hey, something that is driving me crazy my current game is the three male colonists constantly flirting with the single female colonist, getting a mood drop, then doing it again an hour later to get another mood drop which stacks. So I figured ok, I'll have her stay up at night and go to sleep in the day so the three men, 2 of which is almost 3 times as old as her and the other being 4 times, would stop trying to make moves on the nudist lesbian 19 year old. Except they still try making moves on her when she is asleep! Apparently I got loving goons as my colonists, I'm having to make her room on the other side of the base, move the workshops I had her using over to there and seperating the colony between the three elder goons and the single young woman so the men stop going on food binges (I guess they really are goons) and poo poo because they keep getting rebuffed every 2 minutes.

E: Oh and the food binge mood break can eat a bag of dicks. I now build a wall to secure my precious survivor meals cause these assholes always grab those without fail when they binge.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

And hey, something that is driving me crazy my current game is the three male colonists constantly flirting with the single female colonist, getting a mood drop, then doing it again an hour later to get another mood drop which stacks. So I figured ok, I'll have her stay up at night and go to sleep in the day so the three men, 2 of which is almost 3 times as old as her and the other being 4 times, would stop trying to make moves on the nudist lesbian 19 year old. Except they still try making moves on her when she is asleep! Apparently I got loving goons as my colonists, I'm having to make her room on the other side of the base, move the workshops I had her using over to there and seperating the colony between the three elder goons and the single young woman so the men stop going on food binges (I guess they really are goons) and poo poo because they keep getting rebuffed every 2 minutes.
This seems accurate to real life.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
MGS5: wheres all the drat fuel resources? I've got all the good looking upgrades I could get with the stuff you pick up while playing and I'm less than halfway through the story missions from here on out I guess I need to grind to upgrade anything. Lousy cookie clicker side games that every game has to have nowadays.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The final fight of the Cave of Ordeals in Zelda: Twilight Princess HD is three darknuts :suicide: Well, at least it has the Poes that I want to hunt, except that's another problem, you can't control the day/night cycle. I just hope the Cave of Shadows doesn't have Freezards, I despise those enemies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Serious ending spoilers: I'm very disappointed Arkham Knight doesn't give you an unmasked Bruce Wayne skin to do the post-game with.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I started playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with my girlfriend the other day. There is a sandstorm in the prologue, and there's a bunch of fuckers in there.

I was overwhelmed, crouched behind a crate and weighed my options. She kept screaming at me to just shoot the fuckers, but I wanted to be careful. Then I think I failed the mission because I took too long. But I couldn't see poo poo!

Then she asked me "couldn't you have used your smart vision thing to see everything crystal clear?

you loving idiot"

And now she keeps laughing at me :(

EDIT: She crouches behind things yelling I CAN'T SEE poo poo :( :(

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
:sever:?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Do not do this, you have found a keeper

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In other news, I really like Deus Ex Mankind Divided but as it goes on it just gets preachier and preachier and somehow even less subtle about its Augmentation = Class/Race Warfare allegory and it's getting pretty annoying. The characters (by which I mean, the writers) have started exclusively referring to augmented people as a race and saying the anti-aug prejudice is fueled by anti-aug racism. And I don't mean comparing the two; Jensen's side-protagonist-buddy seriously had a chat with Jensen about how racism against augmented people is bad and wrong but all I could think of the entire time was that being augmented is not a race. It's not even a matter of semantics, it's just a wrong thing to say. Like icarus, their hamstrung metaphor has flown too close to the sun and now it's starting to fall down into the ocean of preachiness.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much. As I mentioned in the other thread it reminds me of how preachy people got with X-Men being an allegory for minorities. While there's some resemblance there, people hate minorities because they're dumb fucks. People are scared of mutants and augments because they're inherently dangerous because of who and what they are. Lesbians don't shoot lasers from their eyes, and I don't ever recall a black person being able to swivel my head three hundred and sixty degrees with his knife arms.

That said I do wonder if a game dealing with racism straight out would be tolerated. Can you imagine a game developer handling a black protagonist being called friend of the family every time he got too close to NPCs, and being forced into seperate lines and so on? Eye opening maybe but man, not sure there's any writers I could trust with that for an interactive medium.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even Mankind Divided can't stick to its basic principles like that. In the intro of the game there are two separate lines for augs and non-augs, and Jensen and his buddy get through in the non-aug line just fine after presenting their passports and being insulted by the local constabulary and everything. The police don't tell Jensen to turn around and go back through the correct line when the player goes through the non-aug line to the subway because the developers just didn't want to see it through all the way down to the gameplay, and imo that's where they really failed. Jensen is augmented in a world that hates augmented people and the game only very rarely ever has it affect him OR you.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Aug 24, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I noticed that too. Even waited in line and everything! :saddowns:

I'd be really interested in a game that deliberately, narratively inconvenienced you as a player like that. Can't imagine any AAA title would be brave enough to go that route though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Reminds me of Skyrim, where Khajiit (and maybe Argonians?) aren't allowed inside cities. Unless you happen to be one, in which case nobody ever brings up this law to you and it never inconveniences you in any way

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wish that had happened in Fallout 2, but no, no weapons allowed in Shady Sands so I have to manually unequip all my party's weapons whenever I go there, and no mutants on Vault City so I have to leave Marcus and the ghoul by the front gate, every time. It got worse after I got my ear bitten off and my Charisma went down because that meant I couldn't have as many party members, so whenever I left Vault City I had to pop mentats to bring my Charisma back up in order to rehire them both, every single time. :argh:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

I noticed that too. Even waited in line and everything! :saddowns:

I'd be really interested in a game that deliberately, narratively inconvenienced you as a player like that. Can't imagine any AAA title would be brave enough to go that route though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bsxQZ5JDec

the interesting bit about the video is his idea of playing both spinoff games and a main title can allow a player to experience being someone with privilege (or without) and how that affects their day-to-day affairs. also, the implication that it's more of a coincidence in design than a deliberate artistic choice.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

poptart_fairy posted:

While there's some resemblance there, people hate minorities because they're dumb fucks.

I thought I was in GBS for a second until I realized who "they" was referring to.

I don't think we'll see a good or meaningful video game title about race for a very long time since the American game industry is tremendously white and privileged, and most of them are smart enough to just not touch the issue.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeeeeeah, re-reading that it wasn't my best phrasing. :v:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

2house2fly posted:

MGS5: wheres all the drat fuel resources? I've got all the good looking upgrades I could get with the stuff you pick up while playing and I'm less than halfway through the story missions from here on out I guess I need to grind to upgrade anything. Lousy cookie clicker side games that every game has to have nowadays.

If you aren't there yet, once you can start doing the combat deployments it lets you get decent enough amounts. Alternatively, if you have the cargo fulton upgraded to extract containers, raiding places like the Afghanistan Base Camp and the airport in Africa (Assuming you've gotten that far) can net pretty good amounts. Beyond that, I know some missions/optional stuff awarded decent amounts...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CJacobs posted:

In other news, I really like Deus Ex Mankind Divided but as it goes on it just gets preachier and preachier and somehow even less subtle about its Augmentation = Class/Race Warfare allegory and it's getting pretty annoying. The characters (by which I mean, the writers) have started exclusively referring to augmented people as a race and saying the anti-aug prejudice is fueled by anti-aug racism. And I don't mean comparing the two; Jensen's side-protagonist-buddy seriously had a chat with Jensen about how racism against augmented people is bad and wrong but all I could think of the entire time was that being augmented is not a race. It's not even a matter of semantics, it's just a wrong thing to say. Like icarus, their hamstrung metaphor has flown too close to the sun and now it's starting to fall down into the ocean of preachiness.

Being black or asian or etc. isn't a race either.

The More You Know

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

The More You Know
Hoping this is bait, but Poe's Law and all.

I'm enjoying Tibia for some unbeknownst reason, but I hate how many goddamn walls are put up everywhere. You can't just go off the path directly, the devs put in an insane amount of impassable plants so that to get to a grinding spot you have to take a weird windy route instead of just walking directly there.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Picked up Far Cry 4 since it was on a Steam sale a few days ago for $20, and one of the main things dragging the game down is the wingsuit. I love the wingsuit when I can actually control when it deploys, but there's sort of a finicky thing where you have to be jumping off a ledge over a certain height before the game will let you deploy it. This leads to two common scenarios:

1. You jump off a cliff so you can deploy your wingsuit and get where you're going. The game decides that the cliff wasn't high enough, so it doesn't let you use it and you fall to your death.

2. You sprint and jump over a small ledge trying to get away from something. The game decides that the ledge was high enough to deploy the wingsuit, and does so since you were already holding shift to run. The acceleration to wingsuit speed in nearly instant, so you immediately smash into something and die.

They really should have put it on a different button or something. The clunky way that it works has ended up killing me about as many times as the actual enemies, and jumping around on hillsides like an idiot trying to make the thing work gets annoying.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Aphrodite posted:

The More You Know

shut up

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stuntman posted:

Hoping this is bait, but Poe's Law and all.

I'm enjoying Tibia for some unbeknownst reason, but I hate how many goddamn walls are put up everywhere. You can't just go off the path directly, the devs put in an insane amount of impassable plants so that to get to a grinding spot you have to take a weird windy route instead of just walking directly there.

I don't know, bait implies there's anyone out there dumb enough to think it was serious.

But here we are.

Should I have gone with "makes u think"?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Build an FOB.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

Build an FOB.

Just so you know, you can't do that until chapter 22 or something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

The bigger outposts/bases should have a bunch of large metal containers full of resources. Once you have the cargo 2 fulton you'll be rolling in fuel for a while.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The current Overwatch weekly brawl is "offensive heroes only", but they didn't think to restrict the map rotation to king-of-the-hill maps. Playing payload and point defence maps in this gamemode is the worst.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that bugged me about Pokemon X and Y was that they came on the 3ds. Earlier generations had Pokemon Yellow and Crystal as a "third" game, why not make that generation have one too? Pokemon Z - 3 axes, three games. Just felt like a lost marketing gimmick opportunity I guess.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inco posted:

The current Overwatch weekly brawl is "offensive heroes only", but they didn't think to restrict the map rotation to king-of-the-hill maps. Playing payload and point defence maps in this gamemode is the worst.

They also don't know how to do weekly brawls, because where Hearthstone tavern brawls are just "Here's dumb poo poo that wouldn't work in a serious game, have fun", overwatch brawls are "i dunno..restrict the characters to junkrat and mei" instead of doing poo poo like the first weekly brawl, where everyone's cooldowns were cut in half, and their ults charged faster. that was fun mayhem, this poo poo is just lifeless.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that bugged me about Pokemon X and Y was that they came on the 3ds. Earlier generations had Pokemon Yellow and Crystal as a "third" game, why not make that generation have one too? Pokemon Z - 3 axes, three games. Just felt like a lost marketing gimmick opportunity I guess.

I think people just waited for the third game of the generation to be released so that they dont have to buy the other two games, which is why nintendo stopped doing the third game

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Aug 24, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BillmasterCozb posted:

They also don't know how to do weekly brawls, because where Hearthstone tavern brawls are just "Here's dumb poo poo that wouldn't work in a serious game, have fun", overwatch brawls are "i dunno..restrict the characters to junkrat and mei" instead of doing poo poo like the first weekly brawl, where everyone's cooldowns were cut in half, and their ults charged faster. that was fun mayhem,this poo poo is just droll.

I think people just waited for the third game of the generation to be released so that they dont have to buy the other two games, which is why nintendo stopped doing the third game

Wait, was that ever how it worked? You still needed to trade another versino at least with Pokemon Yellow - there was no weedle in the game that I could think of. Magmar was also missing. Others too.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BillmasterCozb posted:

They also don't know how to do weekly brawls, because where Hearthstone tavern brawls are just "Here's dumb poo poo that wouldn't work in a serious game, have fun", overwatch brawls are "i dunno..restrict the characters to junkrat and mei" instead of doing poo poo like the first weekly brawl, where everyone's cooldowns were cut in half, and their ults charged faster. that was fun mayhem,this poo poo is just droll.

Droll means "funny" not "dull"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Droll means "funny" not "dull"

:v: I have no idea what words are, it turns out

BioEnchanted posted:

Wait, was that ever how it worked? You still needed to trade another versino at least with Pokemon Yellow - there was no weedle in the game that I could think of. Magmar was also missing. Others too.

I think the third version usually has some pokemon from one or both of the other games, but there'd still be some you need to trade

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Aug 24, 2016