Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Not to mention the many actual priests who apparently don't see any problem with loving children, or protecting people who gently caress children. I think that's a bigger oversight than a teenager doin' it in the loophole.

Another quality post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Many Canadians are totally perplexed by even the simplest parts of keeping kosher, so I'm not surprised that the Muslim rules seem exotic and mysterious.

If you put "Kosher" into ubereats you might get a burger taken apart and put in separate containers, but if you put "no cheese" everything is cool.

:shrug:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
is this thing the NDP are desperately pushing on Facebook about McKenna and the picture budget gaining any traction? it seems so absurdly petty. Especially for the ones done in Canada; that supports local photographers, and it's a drop in the bucket of gov spending

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Let's not be too harsh on religious hypocrisy -- it's the only thing that actually makes it bearable to live in a society full of religious people. "It is not their love for men but the impotence of their love for men which hinders the Christians of today from—burning us."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

is this thing the NDP are desperately pushing... gaining any traction?

For at least the foreseeable future, the answer is always going to be no.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Surely Nietzschean ethics are the way forward.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

is this thing the NDP are desperately pushing on Facebook about McKenna and the picture budget gaining any traction? it seems so absurdly petty. Especially for the ones done in Canada; that supports local photographers, and it's a drop in the bucket of gov spending

One canadian has remarked that it was perhaps not the best use of public funds.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Post Media publications today are full of pieces from think toilets on cutting spending and debt. It's all topped off by a cherry on top piece by Peter McKay.

:laffo:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
It's 2016. Has Trudeau legalized cannabis yet?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Surely Nietzschean ethics are the way forward.

Well, he might as well have been writing about the NDP when he remarked that the best way to harm a cause is to defend it with poor arguments.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

On 4/20.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Look, convoluted regulations that favour entrenched interests don't write themselves. God forbid they forget a comma and accidentally make it easy to buy weed from a local farmer.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

He gave that file to Bill Blair, an ex-cop who hosed up the Rob Ford investigation, lied to the media about "secret laws" giving his men arrest powers they didn't have (and then laughingly admitted it in a press conference when called about about this lie, saying it "made his job easier" to mislead the press) and oversaw the illegal detention and beatings of thousands of protesters. I'm sure once they've figured out exactly how to create a new Canada-style oligopoly with approximately two or three lovely over-priced choices for consumers to pick from they will get around to legalizing it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Helsing posted:

He gave that file to Bill Blair, an ex-cop who hosed up the Rob Ford investigation, lied to the media about "secret laws" giving his men arrest powers they didn't have (and then laughingly admitted it in a press conference when called about about this lie, saying it "made his job easier" to mislead the press) and oversaw the illegal detention and beatings of thousands of protesters. I'm sure once they've figured out exactly how to create a new Canada-style oligopoly with approximately two or three lovely over-priced choices for consumers to pick from they will get around to legalizing it.

[as Trudeau delivering an oscar-worthy speech of redemption] "Hey man, I believe in second chances. We all have something to redeem. That's..that's what makes us human. I will NOT be blinded by ignorance and hate. Everyone equally deserves second chances."

im glad of it, sounds like progress :thumbsup:

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
RCMP allows Muslim women Mounties to wear hijab

Guess how many times the Reddit thread for this story has used the word "Pastafarianism" so far

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Funkdreamer posted:

RCMP allows Muslim women Mounties to wear hijab

Guess how many times the Reddit thread for this story has used the word "Pastafarianism" so far

Too goddamn many.

Considering Sikhs have been allowed to wear turbans for some time now, I'm surprised the hijab was even an issue. You can even still wear your hat at the same time!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

People in the army still complain about turbans, despite turbans being part of British Army dress since before Canada was a country and every drat kind of stupid Irish hat under the sun being the headcover of some regiment.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Since Postmedia is essentially the only game in town for print news everywhere in English Canada outside of Toronto, this sort of heavy-handed centralized editorial control is a grave danger to democracy.

Not that anyone cares, of course.

Edit: While certainly covered under the same constitutional considerations as turbans, I don't think hijabs are necessarily the same because Sikhs are specifically required to wear a turban, whereas Muslims are merely required to be modest and the hijab is only one of many cultural interpretations of same. Also yeah, turbans had been legit regimental dress since before confederation. That said I don't suppose it's worth getting worked up over if the RCMP themselves are ok with it.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 24, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Can a corpse be in danger?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Helsing posted:

Can a corpse be in danger?

Depends what you're in to. :anime:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Frosted Flake posted:

People in the army still complain about turbans, despite turbans being part of British Army dress since before Canada was a country and every drat kind of stupid Irish hat under the sun being the headcover of some regiment.

I really wouldn't advise them to do so now, what with the Minister for Defence being a solider who wore/wears a turban.

God only knows why it was an issue in the first place.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PT6A posted:

God only knows why it was an issue in the first place.

Old Army dies hard.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Turbans.

Soccer.

:can:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Its an issue because of assholes. The right for Sikhs to wear turbans can't even be argued against on the grounds of safety as regs state that helmets/other safety headwear are required in combat and other situations that warrant their use.

Also the hijab actually looks p hot on most women I've seen sporting one. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Listening to the Alberta at Noon and it was all about our ballooning debt and what the NDP aren't doing to fix it. I was expecting loads of back water hicks calling for cuts to schools and public departments, and sure their were a few of those. What I wasn't expecting was the overwhelming amount of people calling from all over saying that the Alberta Advantage is dead and we need to implement a sales tax to get us off this loving roller coaster. I felt a little pride at that.

Apparently we need to have a referendum to implement one? I'm curious if the NDP will roll the dice on it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Listening to the Alberta at Noon and it was all about our ballooning debt and what the NDP aren't doing to fix it. I was expecting loads of back water hicks calling for cuts to schools and public departments, and sure their were a few of those. What I wasn't expecting was the overwhelming amount of people calling from all over saying that the Alberta Advantage is dead and we need to implement a sales tax to get us off this loving roller coaster. I felt a little pride at that.

Apparently we need to have a referendum to implement one? I'm curious if the NDP will roll the dice on it.

Instead of loving around with sales taxes they should just get rid of the drat flat tax. Piling more regressive taxation on top of an already regressive taxation system is a bad solution.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Instead of loving around with sales taxes they should just get rid of the drat flat tax. Piling more regressive taxation on top of an already regressive taxation system is a bad solution.

This is true. I think they took the first steps with that, but more should be done.

I prefer income tax to sales tax because I'm going to pay the tax one way or the other, and I'd prefer feeling a little less ripped off every single loving time I buy anything.

EDIT: And if they do institute a sales tax, and it's not HST (so I have to calculate it separately, track it separately, and remit it separately) I will cut a bitch.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

vyelkin posted:

The NDP already did. thank loving god

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
The thing that seems to get bandied about with sales taxes is that "at least people visiting the province are paying into it too," whereas income tax is just "this is the cost of living here, deducted from your paycheque."

edit: VVV :stare: gross

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 24, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Charge income tax to people who visit on business, like many states in the US do. (Including the fractional value of stock that was vesting that week.)

I had to file in 5 states last year, it's a thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

P.d0t posted:

The thing that seems to get bandied about with sales taxes is that "at least people visiting the province are paying into it too," whereas income tax is just "this is the cost of living here, deducted from your paycheque."

Tourists contribute a shitton to the economy, which ends up going to employees and businesses, both of which should be paying their fair share of income taxes. We don't need to also have a sales tax, IMO.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

CanLit Generator posted:

A Vancouver software engineer eats poutine at a fictionalized version of a diner in your town you totally recognize and for some reason feel that you knowing that place is somehow a flaw of the story, in a pickup truck with more than one veiled reference to the Diefenbunker.

DariusLikewise posted:

"The program is different and revolutionary for Manitoba because it uses not only targeted funds, but also words, deeds, and training to fight human trafficking in a whole new way. Outreach on neighborhood streets is one strategy that is executed with the help of law enforcement officers. Almost daily, Winnipeg Police dispatch an elite unit on the streets to try and counter sexual exploitation and human trafficking."

The 'solutions' part of this article was maddeningly short on details. Are the Elite Cops arresting the sex workers, but allowing them to avoid prosecution if they enter rehab/diversionary programs? Arresting only the johns? Tracking down the traffickers? There are a multitude of ways to 'improve' law enforcement's approach to sex work and trafficking while still actively harming women.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, but unlike turbans you can take those off before you go into the mess. Very important you do this to show respect for those who went before you and fell in battle.

The mess is also where you go the afternoon of November 11 to get absolutely poo poo-faced pissing-yourself puking-in-the-corners drunk. Another very important ritual to honour the fallen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

P.d0t posted:

edit: VVV :stare: gross

PT6A posted:

Tourists contribute a shitton to the economy, which ends up going to employees and businesses, both of which should be paying their fair share of income taxes. We don't need to also have a sales tax, IMO.

This. If a tourist passing through Alberta pays $20 for a meal at a restaurant, does the province benefit more from them paying 5% on top of that directly to the province, or do they benefit more from that $20 making its way into the income of the business, waiter, chef, and restaurant owner, all of which pay taxes on their income, but which are or at least can be taxed in more progressive ways than a flat tax that disproportionately affects the poor?

That being said, Canada has so far tended to be better than some other places at how we implement sales taxes, namely in their not being applied to a lot of everyday necessities and the addition of sales tax rebates to the poor. Compared to some US states, for example, that just charge a flat sales tax on all transactions with no rebate at all, it's a much more progressive system. Unfortunately it's also more bureaucratic and, again, we would probably be better served by just raising top marginal income tax brackets.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Canada’s tax agency is ‘out for blood’: not from global-income cheats, but from its leaking auditors

The Hongcouver blog’s Canada Revenue Agency sources - auditors past and present - are nervous.

“CRA is vicious and will retaliate if they find out I gave you anything, believe me.”

“I’m going to go dark after this. There’s just too much heat.”

“Please be very careful and advise your other source to completely delete all email and texts.”

After successive leaks to the South China Morning Post – revealing last month secret plans to crack down on foreign-funded real estate deals in Vancouver, then last week exposing how the agency knew about the huge scale of the problem for 20 years while effectively ignoring associated tax cheating – the CRA sprang into action.

Leak reveals secret tax crackdown on foreign-money real estate deals in Vancouver

Not in further pursuit of the suspected tax cheats - but in an attempt to pursue the leakers.

In the past few days, two of the SCMP’s three CRA sources discussed the response by the agency in greater Vancouver.

Meetings have been held. Staff have been questioned. Reminders given about duty, responsibility and values.

Said a current auditor: “Since the [July] leak, everyone has been reminded of ethics. ‘You have a duty, to your employer’, those kinds of things. There were group sessions and emails [in which we were told] if we have concerns, we should talk to team leaders and they will funnel it up, and something will happen. But nothing usually does. No one is willing to go further up the chain to say ‘we don’t even have the resources to do these audits.”

In stark contrast to the previous lackadaisical pursuit of suspected tax cheats – with just one successful audit of undeclared global income having been executed in BC last year - the internal response to the leaks has been swift, starting within a day of the SCMP’s July 14 report, the auditor said.

A retired auditor who is in contact with current staff said employees had been hauled in and “interrogated” about the leaks.

The culture of ‘Teba’

I asked both sources to expand on an issue that still bothered me about their stories: if the CRA is well aware of wide-scale tax cheating among foreign-earning real estate buyers in Vancouver – and has been so for decades - why has it not done more about it?

Canada tax chiefs knew foreign money’s big role in Vancouver housing market 20 years ago, leaked documents show, but they ‘ignored’ auditors’ warning

Both seemed to think me naïve. They cited what they saw as a huge cultural problem within the CRA that deterred such pursuit: a devotion to “Teba”, or tax earned by audit. In other words, the bottom line.

[Teba is] why we end up beating up on the little guys instead, who run gas stations and small businesses, the ones who will put up the least resistance
They said audits are seen primarily as a means of raising revenue, as opposed to enforcing the law, executing moral rightness or acting as a deterrent to future cheating. A lengthy-but-principled investigation into an obstructive foreign-earning cheat wasn’t something applauded by bosses – it was to be avoided by both managers and auditors. “Like the plague,” said the retired auditor.

The current auditor cited the recently exposed KPMG case (in which self-confessed cheating clients of the world accountancy giant were granted secret amnesty by the CRA if they handed over their back taxes and some interest) as demonstrating that the agency took the easiest path to revenue, regardless of the ethical implications.

“CRA is given a set amount of money by Ottawa and they expect a return on their money,” the auditor said. “We’re the only department that makes money, and foreign-linked audits take a lot of time. It’s hard to verify sources of income coming out of mainland China. Hong Kong is somewhat open, but otherwise - it’s hard.”

Even with 50 auditors newly assigned to real estate cases, pursuit of undeclared global income would prove difficult – in spite of that issue having been first on a list of the CRA’s real estate related projects in the July leak.

Foreign home buyers in Vancouver hit with HK-style 15pc tax, but millionaire migrants will be exempt

“Everything is about Teba, and with global income it can be very low, because the cases are so complicated, and they [CRA] hate going to prosecution,” the auditor said. “That’s why we end up beating up on the little guys instead, who run gas stations and small businesses, the ones who will put up the least resistance.”

The July leak included a breakdown that listed not just the Teba of various real estate audit types conducted in BC last year - global income, flips, capital gains, GST – but also the Teba per hour of audit. Sure enough, the single global income audit yielded the lowest Teba/hr at C$155, compared to about C$300/hour for flips and capital gains, and C$800/hour for GST cases.

The retired auditor, who was involved in last week’s leak of a 1996 CRA study that revealed the huge extent of foreign-funded property-buying in greater Vancouver and widespread suspected tax cheating, concurred with the general point.

“Auditors do not have the tools to get the information we need to do these audits and these taxpayers are very smart with lots of money to hire the best accountants and lawyers to stall us and throw up road blocks …nobody [in CRA] wanted to do these audits and would do whatever they could to avoid them,” the source said.

“Let me stress that: no one wants these types of files. They take forever and usually the returns are not great and we know it. We know there is more [money there] but the information is just too hard for us to get. So, you do what you can and then you get out. It is very, very frustrating.”

Immigration and auditors don’t talk much

Both sources highlighted another problem: the lack of a simple mechanism for auditors seeking basic information from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, such as an immigrant audit target’s declarations of assets made during the application process and upon landing.

“Auditors do ask … The taxpayer may or may not give it to you,” the former auditor said, adding “it is hard for them to deny the existence of it since they are required to provide it to CIC.”

But this hinged on the co-operation of the auditee. The former auditor, who has discussed the issue with current CRA staff, said: “There was/is no cooperation between CRA and Citizenship and Immigration Canada that we are aware of. If there is, then a memorandum of understanding would have to exist. There may in fact be one - but no one I talked to knows of it.

“And even if there is then you have to go through an intergovernmental affairs officer to get anything - red tape and time. There is no bulk data that we ever knew of, no data base easily accessible by an auditor.”

Asked whether auditors could obtain immigrants’ asset declarations from CIC, and, if so, how easy it was, a CRA spokeswoman said: “The CRA continues to work with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada [CIC] and other federal, provincial and territorial government departments to develop and explore further opportunities to improve information sharing in support of our respective mandates.”

Without specifying CIC, she had prefaced the remark by saying CRA “can obtain or share information with various federal government departments, provinces and territories in support of the CRA’s compliance efforts…All information obtained or shared is done so in accordance with the terms of various memoranda of understanding or legislation such as the Privacy Act.”

Nevertheless, the current auditor said auditors were hamstrung by a lack of auditor-level communication with CIC. “We’ll definitely catch guys flipping houses. But global income is going to be another story. We need more resources for that. I don’t know how - until someone starts coordinating with immigration and customs, to see how much they are coming and going, what they are declaring each time, until that information gets down to the auditor level - I don’t know how we’ll do it.”

The source said auditors did not generally speak to immigration staff, and that instead information would have to be sought via “high-level contacts” within the two departments. Information such as asset declarations to CIC were “not readily available at the auditor level” the auditor said.

This is not to say that the sources underestimate the investigative powers of the CRA.

Both signed off by telling me not to expect to hear from them again in the immediate future.

“They are out for blood,” the former auditor said. “You do realise they can easily tap your phones and email?”

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...PSocialNewsfeed

I thought this might be a better place to put this article. I know how much you all applaud the protections of government jobs and how important they are for protecting the social and moral fabric of canada. Enjoy!!!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Subjunctive posted:

Charge income tax to people who visit on business, like many states in the US do. (Including the fractional value of stock that was vesting that week.)

I had to file in 5 states last year, it's a thing.

Haha there's a notice on my company intranet that we are not allowed to go on business trips or attend conferences in Texas for tax reasons. Not that we are a particularly big company or anything but I guess those kinds of tax policy can end up costing business to a state/province. It's probably a net gain though, I would imagine.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

People actually believe this?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
A woman and her dog cross the Rockies only to return with a broken soul.

I like this one because you can interpret it as crossing the rockies in either direction depending on how your Canadian regional bias lies.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Obviously returning from BC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

quote:

Ontario Tories apologize for youth seminar featuring waterboarding, Patrick Brown (The Beaverton)

MCMASTER UNIVERSITY -- The Ontario Progressive Conservatives have released an apology to young party activists Tuesday, after organizers of a youth rally used violence, intimidation and the presence of party leader Patrick Brown to haze young PC members.

“I was really afraid.” said Daniel Singh, a 19-year-old PC recruit. “This was supposed to be a meet and greet but organizers were hanging volunteers upside down by their feet. They starved us and called us dogs and, worst of all, Patrick Brown was there.”

“He didn’t do anything. He was just there. Leering.”

Monday’s seminar was meant to be a casual get together for young conservatives to find future volunteers for the Ontario PC party. According to an organizer of the event, who asked to remain anonymous, the event schedule had only included a brief speech on fiscal conservatism, a photo-op and a pizza networking session. The physical torture, verbal demoralisation and disturbing presence of Patrick Brown were reportedly improvised.

“You can’t totally blame us for what happened,” said the anonymous source. “We haven’t held any power since 2003, who knew how we were going to react.”

This event marked the first use of Patrick Brown on Canadian soil since the leader of the Ontario PC Party was added to the United Nation’s list of cruel and unusual punishments.

Following the incident, McMaster University has reportedly considered banning future PC events held on campus. University officials decided against the ban, though, fearing that being a young conservative was socially awkward enough.

Sometimes the Beaverton just gets really petty all of a sudden.