Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

"Actually Samsung is great, their interfaces aren't even consistent within the same generation!"

I didn't say they were "great". I said they've improved quite a bit, and I like the interface now. I used Good Lock on my Note 5 which is basically stock Android, but on my Note 7 I think I'll stick with the Touchwiz Grace UX one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have a Nexus 5X and do a lot of conference calls on it as part of my job. With my previous phone (nexus 5) I could plug in regular stereo headphones and listen to the calls through them, but still use the phone's built in microphone to speak. I find this much more comfortable than holding the phone up to my ear for hours on end.

When I try this on the new nexus 5x, plugging in headphones seems to automatically mute the mic every time. Is it possible to do what I want to do?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't say they were "great". I said they've improved quite a bit, and I like the interface now. I used Good Lock on my Note 5 which is basically stock Android, but on my Note 7 I think I'll stick with the Touchwiz Grace UX one.

"I continue to buy Samsung phones because, while they still aren't great, they are always improving. I don't even have to change the lock function on this newest one!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

"I continue to buy Samsung phones because, while they still aren't great, they are always improving. I don't even have to change the lock function on this newest one!"

I didn't buy it. Try again. Or just stop caring so much what other people like and buy, but that might be a bit extreme, sorry.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

peepsalot posted:

When I try this on the new nexus 5x, plugging in headphones seems to automatically mute the mic every time. Is it possible to do what I want to do?

Your simplest solution is almost certainly going to be to get headphones (or a headset) with a built-in mic.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's objectively true that it's gotten quite a bit better over the years, the Note 7 iteration is pretty drat good, and improved to the point it's not even called Touchwiz anymore, Grace UX or something.

I don't think any of that except the name change is objectively true, and I think/hope "improved to the point it's not even called Touchwiz anymore" was a joke but I can't tell :)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't buy it. Try again. Or just stop caring so much what other people like and buy, but that might be a bit extreme, sorry.

"I don't think it's worth my money, but I do think it's worth somebody else's."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I give up :shrug:

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think any of that except the name change is objectively true

Uh, compare Touchwiz on the S3 or something around that era, with Touchwiz on the Note 7, and yeah it's objectively better in pretty much every way.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I give up :shrug:

Uh, compare Touchwiz on the S3 or something around that era, with Touchwiz on the Note 7, and yeah it's objectively better in pretty much every way.

"Uh, if you compare poo poo to garbage, there's a definite improvement!"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

This is actually a reasonable opinion to have if you're not an rear end in a top hat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SwissCM posted:

This is actually a reasonable opinion to have if you're not an rear end in a top hat.

He's posting like one so it's pretty unreasonable heh

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm testing out an HTC 10. It's a really nice slippery metal phone. It's much easier to hold than the 6p and the buttons are less clicky. The 6p ones are terrible and they would go off in my pocket or my car mount.

This is the first non-OLED phone I've used since...the Droid Incredible 2 and I must just be used to OLED because I don't like how this one looks. Also the adaptive brightness is terrible and when it's on low it's got a reddish tint to it.

I have a Turbo so I'm used to Moto Display. Instead the 10 has an LED but it's in green or orange only and double tap to turn screen on. The LED is a disappointment with only 2 colors and I can't turn off the LED light when it's charging. Double tap to turn on screen is at least better than the 6p's attentive display where you have to pick up the phone at a 90° angle.

I also don't like the fingerprint sensor. I have to press my whole thumb sideways over it to activate it and sometimes since it is also the home button when I try to authorize stuff and the app isn't ready I just go back to the home screen.

People keep saying the camera is really good. It's quicker to process HDR than the 6p but I don't think my photos come out as well as on the 6p and the laser focus is flaky as gently caress. Pro mode is kind of touchy and generally a bit useless unless I want to mess with focal points. Sometimes manual just randomly comes out much darker in the actual photo.

Battery life and performance are better than the 6p but it'll still stutter sometimes and it gets a bit hot.

I don't think it's worth the premium over the 6p but with that said, gently caress the 6p's buttons.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 24, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

RZA Encryption posted:

RZA Encryption posted:

RZA Encryption posted:

"Actually Samsung is great, their interfaces aren't even consistent within the same generation!"

RZA Encryption posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, this person really can't handle the fact that some people likes things that they don't.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

docbeard posted:

Your simplest solution is almost certainly going to be to get headphones (or a headset) with a built-in mic.
These are really nice headphones though.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 20, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MC Hawking posted:

I want to shove all of you people into a retail cell phone outlet and lock the doors till there's only a screaming clerk left, shaking violently and covered in blood who has been pushed beyond every conceivable limit by the snide bickering.

Isn't having to work at a retail cell phone outlet punishment enough without subjecting them to that?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha, come on, you're complaining about someone claiming TouchWiz is objectively bad, then say this? I like NatureUX era TouchWiz, with all its lovely color and sound, better than this boring Grace stuff, prove me wrong.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RZA Encryption posted:

:rolleye:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, come on, you're complaining about someone claiming TouchWiz is objectively bad, then say this? I like NatureUX era TouchWiz, with all its lovely color and sound, better than this boring Grace stuff, prove me wrong.

I don't know what NatureUX is or what you're talking about, and I don't have to prove anything to you?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's all Google's fault. If they would release the new Nexus phones already, there would be something else to discuss.

On that topic, I find it's telling there's not more Nougat discussion. There's a lot of good polish there, but I'm finding it hard to care about it.

I haven't even been able to gather enough effort to flash the OTAs on my N5x and Pixel C.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Nougat just isn't that different from Marshmallow. I do like the reply system set up in notifications though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Notification shade is a billion times better ~ Nougat

I hate saying Nougat

thanks for listening

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MC Hawking posted:

I want to shove all of you people into a retail cell phone outlet and lock the doors till there's only a screaming clerk left, shaking violently and covered in blood who has been pushed beyond every conceivable limit by the snide bickering.

The sheer volume of hot air going on in perpetuity in this thread would be enough to drive even the most seasoned of retail veteran into a hollow rage after an hour.

GO HUG IT OUT ALREADY.

1. I really don't think there's any extreme amount of bickering in here. I mean, people can completely disagree without it being some extreme weird argument.
2. To the extent that there is an extreme weird argument...it's an internet thread wholly focused on a cell phone operating system, any amount of disagreement is going to seem extreme in relation to the (un)importance of the subject matter.
3. People talk on the internet about things differently than they talk IRL about things.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Or....just wait for it...stop DYP'ing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

1. I really don't think there's any extreme amount of bickering in here. I mean, people can completely disagree without it being some extreme weird argument.
2. To the extent that there is an extreme weird argument...it's an internet thread wholly focused on a cell phone operating system, any amount of disagreement is going to seem extreme in relation to the (un)importance of the subject matter.
3. People talk on the internet about things differently than they talk IRL about things.

Or....just wait for it...stop DYP'ing.

I didn't think there was a problem with posting things I like about a Samsung phone but of course I'll stop, no problem. Just seems like a pretty retarded thing to attack/troll others over, it's just a phone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's just a phone.
The hyperbolic posting goes both ways.

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress off I want mine now. Is it cool?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Counterpoint: My Note 7 loving rules
Tone back the sensationalist posting and perhaps people won't mock you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I was lightheartedly posting my excitement for my pending new phone. I'm sorry I guess.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The hyperbolic posting goes both ways.

Tone back the sensationalist posting and perhaps people won't mock you.

Have you seen internet forums?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't think there was a problem with posting things I like about a Samsung phone but of course I'll stop, no problem. Just seems like a pretty retarded thing to attack/troll others over, it's just a phone.

I didn't tell you to stop, I'm basically telling you you're no different from the people you're arguing with. I don't have a problem with either position or whats been presented on either side, the only thing I have a problem with is acting like you're above it in some way.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was lightheartedly posting my excitement for my pending new phone. I'm sorry I guess.

I accept your apology

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I accept your apology

Good, let's all get along again. Until someone posts about grip tape.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
We all seem to enjoy arguing in here.

CD, you get a case for your N7?

Edit - when with this one, was the best looking one for the blue phone. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIUIE1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xbIVxb588RNSZ

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

We all seem to enjoy arguing in here.

CD, you get a case for your N7?

Edit - when with this one, was the best looking one for the blue phone. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIUIE1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xbIVxb588RNSZ

Yeah, I usually get a Diztronic or Spigen, for this one I got the Spigen Tough Armour, it's good.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Jigoku posted:

:words: about HTC 10 vs 6p.

Keep updating as I'm kinda in a similar boat. I was originally going to wait for the used 6p market to crash when Sailfish/Marlin drops however I've been eyeing the HTC 10 as of late. 820, MicroSD, and it can be unlocked.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

On that topic, I find it's telling there's not more Nougat discussion. There's a lot of good polish there, but I'm finding it hard to care about it.

Also, those of us who give a poo poo have already had it for a few months as part of the developer preview. Hard to be vocal about features you've had for a while and gotten used to.

Personally, I'm excited that they might move to a Microsoft style continuous release schedule with quarterly OS updates. Ongoing, iterative updates sounds nice.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wacky Delly posted:

Nougat just isn't that different from Marshmallow. I do like the reply system set up in notifications though.

Based on having run the beta for a couple of weeks now:

Yeah, I most like the new notification style/reply system. The split screen feature is obviously the biggest new thing, but I've not really had any cause to use it other than just messing around. (I have a feeling it would be awesome on a larger tablet, though). The little quick switches are cool, but I doubt I'd miss them if they were gone.

Things feel slightly clunkier than before, but I expect that's just my N6 being a bit long in the tooth, and it's usually not even noticeable.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

JayKay posted:

Keep updating as I'm kinda in a similar boat. I was originally going to wait for the used 6p market to crash when Sailfish/Marlin drops however I've been eyeing the HTC 10 as of late. 820, MicroSD, and it can be unlocked.

FYI I wanted to try the MicroSD adoptable storage thing since 10gb of 32 is being taken up by app data for some reason. I put in a random 16GB SD card from my SGS3 and apparently you need an SDHC or SDXC UHS-1 Speed Class 3 card.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

How useful is the multi-window thingy in Nougat?

I've got a 6P, but haven't got the OTA yet and I don't care enough to spend a few minutes downloading and remembering how to do it myself.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

It's the only feature I miss from the S6, hope the implementation is similar or better.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Good, let's all get along again. Until someone posts about grip tape.

Hey guys! Whatcha wanna talk about? :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a 6P, but haven't got the OTA yet and I don't care enough to spend a few minutes downloading and remembering how to do it myself.

It's okay I guess? I have a 5x so I don't exactly have the screen real estate to make me want to use it, but it didn't set my phone on fire when I tried it so I guess it's good to go!