Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Bro, Brock Kobayashi got $75.00 U.S. American 1999 Dollars to stick it in a A: drive and sit around.

Best job ever.
There was an invoice in the file for a 40 hour week. This nigga got $3k in 1999 dollars to stick in a floppy in every computer in the office and say "all is well."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Germstore posted:

I'm only two in and I will admit I could not tell the Neil Young 320 vs uncompressed if my life depended on it, but I was so sure of the Suzanne Vega I would have bet money on it, and I did get it right. The page is pretty dumb because on refresh it reorders the tracks but not the order of the different quality versions.

e: less sure about Coldplay, but I still got it.

I'd say it's time to hit the roulette tables! You're on fire

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Germstore posted:

I'm only two in and I will admit I could not tell the Neil Young 320 vs uncompressed if my life depended on it, but I was so sure of the Suzanne Vega I would have bet money on it, and I did get it right. The page is pretty dumb because on refresh it reorders the tracks but not the order of the different quality versions.

e: less sure about Coldplay, but I still got it.

that's awesome dude can I get your contact info so johns hopkins can call you for some studies or would the phone call harm your perfect ears

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Idiot. Yeah. I only got three, but it was the three I was sure of. After hitting the try again button it reorders the tracks so I'll do a few more trials on those three tracks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
if you're gonna quote AB studies then give the full paper and methodology and sample size etc tia

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

You do know it isn't like the nyquist frequency where humans can't physically hear it. It's by definition noise, which humans can hear if the path to their ears is good enough.

e: okay, I picked the 320 on the second Tom's Diner.

e: yeah, doing pretty darn poorly on repeated tests.

Germstore has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Aug 25, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Here's the Y2K doomsday kit:

Wish I took a photo of that CD-Rom drive with a little "Y2K Compliant" sticker on it. There's a great book called Flat Earth News which details just how the Y2K pandemic went from one innocuous line which theorised a potential issue to a full blown panic that cost billions as everyone fell over themselves trying to rectify this. Brock likely made a nice bit of cash during that time as everything digital was considered a risk. People were expecting to find their cars wouldn't start in the morning.

The other group that fared well from panic were the survivalists who managed to rope Leonard Nimoy into narrating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhEQEG43RU

Nike even played up on the doomsday scenario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhF7dQl4Ico

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wasn't there a 360 port of Goldeneye 007 Reloaded though? You know, the newer and better game?
That was the remake. This appears to be an HD remaster of the old game.

Quote-Unquote posted:

If it helps it was a bad port and a good reminder that Goldeneye is a bad game outside of nostalgia.
Oh yes. It was great for what it was, which was a reasonably competent shooter on a console which had some semblance of cleverness with objectives and AI that used cover. But it's rough edges gave it it's quirks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remember the hysteria about the Y2K bug, and admit that I felt a little let down when nothing really seemed to happen.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mortimer posted:

that's awesome dude can I get your contact info so johns hopkins can call you for some studies or would the phone call harm your perfect ears

tell us more about your exhaustive studies on what other people can and can't hear :allears:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

just want to reiterate how loving stupid the statement "you think you can hear it, but you can't" is

bonus points because it's not just moronic but also somehow makes you sound like a hipster douche

e: it's alright everybody, you think you can see a retarded derail, but you're not actually seeing one.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Aug 25, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can we call an armistice on the goddamn audiophile slapfight? If it doesn't involve ISA slots or a parallel port then just shut the gently caress up about it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Look man, I can't listen to my MP3s unless it's on a Santa Cruz sound card with an RCA line out to my 1970s Receiver. Its just got so much warmth.

Germstore posted:

I'm only two in and I will admit I could not tell the Neil Young 320 vs uncompressed if my life depended on it
I can't tell the diff between Uncompressed and 320, but I managed to hit the 320 consistently except for that Katy Perry song since it was all noise anyway.

Not bad for lovely MacBook speakers.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Aug 25, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok, so does anyone still use PCMCIA or ExpressCard or are those completely obsolete at this point?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Ok, so does anyone still use PCMCIA or ExpressCard or are those completely obsolete at this point?
No one used those lovely ports when they were new and useful and you basically needed an Ethernet/Fax line to them so that's what you bought one of those godawful bulky expansion cards for it.

Or you got like a WiFi in it. That too.

Hey someone was Kickblasting an external GPU for older systems and I'm wondering how long until ThunderUSB makes speeds good enough that I can just Frankenstein out better parts from my Desktop/Macbook like I'm on the BattleStar Galactica.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Up until maybe five years ago when the last of our offices replaced their token ring network.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've mostly only used PCMCIA to give ancient laptops wireless access. Another relic I have in storage somewhere is a Toshiba laptop with a blazing-fast 250mhz Pentium II in it and a whopping 800x600 display that I installed Puppy Linux on and successfully got online using a PCMCIA wireless card.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

just want to reiterate how loving stupid the statement "you think you can hear it, but you can't" is

bonus points because it's not just moronic but also somehow makes you sound like a hipster douche

e: it's alright everybody, you think you can see a retarded derail, but you're not actually seeing one.

What you're ignoring here is that it's not their opinion. Double blind testing has repeatedly shown that people cannot tell these types of sounds apart. Sure, some people get it right, but most of the time it's the kind of accuracy you get in a toin coss.
Nobody is saying you're a liar, just that you're mistaken. It's like the people who swear that praying cured their cancer, or that they can tell when it'll rain based on leg pain. They're honest in their beliefs but, just like you, they're wrong.

I hope this clarifies it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Holy poo poo, why is everyone so assblasted at either the people who claim to be able to tell the difference or the people that don't believe them?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Holy poo poo, why is everyone so assblasted at either the people who claim to be able to tell the difference or the people that don't believe them?

Personally? Because it often leads to scams like monster cables.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

What you're ignoring here is that it's not their opinion. Double blind testing has repeatedly shown that people cannot tell these types of sounds apart. Sure, some people get it right, but most of the time it's the kind of accuracy you get in a toin coss.
Nobody is saying you're a liar, just that you're mistaken. It's like the people who swear that praying cured their cancer, or that they can tell when it'll rain based on leg pain. They're honest in their beliefs but, just like you, they're wrong.

I hope this clarifies it.

There are double blind tests where some people can tell the difference for some tracks and you are ignoring those.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Germstore posted:

There are double blind tests where some people can tell the difference for some tracks and you are ignoring those.

Can you provide a link to them?
You can do this by pm if you prefer.

Edit. Obviously, distinguishing "some" tracks defies the purpose of your argument.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

http://www.head-fi.org/t/431522/abx-test-of-320kbps-vs-flac-results

Guy was able to pick the uncompressed version of one of the tracks a stastistically significant number of times.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well then he's Monster Cable's target market, congratulations to him

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Germstore posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/431522/abx-test-of-320kbps-vs-flac-results

Guy was able to pick the uncompressed version of one of the tracks a stastistically significant number of times.

Emm....

quote:

Only one of the results had enough of a difference to be statistically significant. In doing this test, I discovered just how close 320kbps and flac really are.....

It's important to note, that this is only one set of tests, and really doesn't mean anything in the big picture. Maybe my hearing sucks. Maybe my equipment is so poor I can't hear all the little nuances.

However, the fact alone that it was so hard to tell them apart in the first place...there's not nearly as much difference between the two as I found in sighted "tests".

I take back any statements I have ever made as to whether I can hear a difference between FLAC and 320kbps MP3s. I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. It's funny, because as soon as I play them again the .flac one sounds so much crisper. But I know it's all in my head now.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

His conclusion is in favor of mp3. He had a hard time and only did well on one track. All I've said is that the two are perceptively different because the removed information is necessarily in the audible range although biased towards the higher end of that range.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Every post I've made has included the word "some". I posted an example so-

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

And this thread has officially hit a low point. Start a golden ears thread please.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I would have figured that the HDMI scam would be over by now. Still go to a brick and mortar store and they want $30 for a reasonable length one. So AmazonBasics it is. I think they might actually sell those at a slight loss but I'm just haopy not getting screwed.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Hang on a second, I gotta look up how to make you all shut the gently caress up about audio formats.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah enough audio crap now who remembers this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg9VOBdk87o

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

(MP3 stuff removed - because yeah that's not interesting. )

The Neil Young lossless player looks to be simultaneously "technically better" and "completely pointless", which I guess is on the better end of audiophile snakeoil. (If there is a companion store that sells differently mastered tracks with less dynamic compression it might actually have a genuine niche.)

As for tech relics, I had to fire up an XP image to find a browser that could download a generated PDF via some messy javascript on a NIH webpage today. Of course, said XP image is technically speaking still the only supported alternative on the network at work. At least we are allowed to run Win7 if we accept not having support.

Oh, and the NIH page in question is the only way to apply for a licence to use some huge data sets, and you have to reapply every year. I already look forward to next year.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Aug 25, 2016

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Negrostrike posted:

Yeah enough audio crap now who remembers this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg9VOBdk87o

Not me, but it did remind me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQy8QDWjkE

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The argument that got me to rip my old CD collection to FLAC was that even though the difference between lossless and MP3 is imperceptible to humans, down the road someone might come up with a new format that offers similar quality at a much lower bitrate. The extra space taken up on your computer hard drive for your archival copy isn't a big deal, and in the future when you're transcoding for a portable player you aren't converting one lossy format to another.

Then standalone portable MP3 players stopped being a thing, followed shortly by no longer needing to actually store music on your portable device at all. Now my music collection is a random mix of flac, mp3, ogg, ape, ac3, and other poo poo and I don't really care as long as I can keep it all tagged consistently. Even back in the age of ratio FTP sites where kind of rear end sounding 128kbps MP3 was the norm, it didn't ever bother me because I care more about listening to the music than listening to nuances of the audio equipment.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

thetzar posted:

Not me, but it did remind me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQy8QDWjkE

Which reminds me of this:

Negostrike has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Aug 25, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sweet christ I'll admit to not being able to tell the difference between 64kbps mp3 and flac with $10k headphones drilled directly into my ear canal if it'll just get everyone to shut the gently caress up about it already, loving hell

I even tried to change the subject already, goddamn. I think I can tell the difference when I'm listening to gigantic speakers that cost like 5 grand each with equally high-end hardware behind it, some people think I'm just imagining it, whoop de loving do. End of argument.

Can we go back to talking about those applications that took a screenshot of your desktop and then let you infest it with ants or shoot it with a shotgun or whatever

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Audiophile derail is the worst thread derail ever. This is why we can't have good threads.

WebDog posted:

Wish I took a photo of that CD-Rom drive with a little "Y2K Compliant" sticker on it. There's a great book called Flat Earth News which details just how the Y2K pandemic went from one innocuous line which theorised a potential issue to a full blown panic that cost billions as everyone fell over themselves trying to rectify this. Brock likely made a nice bit of cash during that time as everything digital was considered a risk. People were expecting to find their cars wouldn't start in the morning.

I actually worked in IT at the time and we kind of checked if Windows NT Server and whatever would be okay but I don't recall us spending too much effort on checking every single thing. The main things I remember about Y2K are:
- wishing I was older so I could be doing some COBOL contracting work and making big $$$ (and playing with old poo poo)
- all the jokes, including - a christmas card I received where santa was talking to a reindeer about the "Y2K virus bug" or something computer illiterate like that, and the time I asked our admin why someone was doing work on the men's bathroom and she said they were doing Y2K upgrades :classiclol:

My work recently threw out a bunch of these so now I have an eSATA ExpressCard which I've actually used when I want to copy between external drives or just on a laptop with no eSATA port of its own. But yeah I guess they're obsolete :v:

I've got an old 486 laptop with a PCMCIA slot but no onboard networking. I have a few 802.11b cards but it was hard to find one that actually had Windows 95 drivers. It also came with a 10BaseT card.. in fact it might support both 10BaseT and 10Base2 (coax), I don't quite remember.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

Audiophile derail is the worst thread derail ever. This is why we can't have good threads.

I actually worked in IT at the time and we kind of checked if Windows NT Server and whatever would be okay but I don't recall us spending too much effort on checking every single thing. The main things I remember about Y2K are:
- wishing I was older so I could be doing some COBOL contracting work and making big $$$ (and playing with old poo poo)
- all the jokes, including - a christmas card I received where santa was talking to a reindeer about the "Y2K virus bug" or something computer illiterate like that, and the time I asked our admin why someone was doing work on the men's bathroom and she said they were doing Y2K upgrades :classiclol:

My work recently threw out a bunch of these so now I have an eSATA ExpressCard which I've actually used when I want to copy between external drives or just on a laptop with no eSATA port of its own. But yeah I guess they're obsolete :v:

I've got an old 486 laptop with a PCMCIA slot but no onboard networking. I have a few 802.11b cards but it was hard to find one that actually had Windows 95 drivers. It also came with a 10BaseT card.. in fact it might support both 10BaseT and 10Base2 (coax), I don't quite remember.

For some reason I remember my high school throwing out a bunch of PCMCIA-SCSI cards. No idea what they could have used them for, our school wasn't particularly advanced technology-wise.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

Was this another of those situations where doing it on Unix is trivial (cat whatever*.part > full_file.mp4) but doing it on Windows requires downloading some weird Russian dude's lovely GUI program that may or may not log your keystrokes? Simple things, like renaming a bunch of files at once, or creating a loving zip file up until Windows 7.

Concatenating files on Windows is easy from a Command Prompt (or literally from DOS), if I recall correctly it was like:

COPY FILE.01+FILE.02+FILE.03+FILE.04 FULLFILE.MP4

Okay it sucks that you have to type out all the filenames I suppose.

Edit:

For some reason I remember my high school throwing out a bunch of PCMCIA-SCSI cards. No idea what they could have used them for, our school wasn't particularly advanced technology-wise.

Maybe someone had an external SCSI hard drive or Zip drive?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

I actually worked in IT at the time

What was worse in the oughts: working in IT or being known by friends and family as the guy who was "good with computers"? I was that second one and it fuckin' sucked.

"Hey GPW, can you fix my computer? I'll give you a sixer."

And the problem is some weird, esoteric driver issue that I've never seen before but google's just barely good enough in 2006 for me to find a post from '98 to get things sorta functional again, and then I get talked up like I"m a fuckin' wizard and a whole squad of uncles with Win95 computers flood me with their problems at every family gathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One modern invention I love is HDMI out on desktops and laptops being a modern thing, finally I can have the HTPC I always wanted without having to use lovely S video or god forbid the yellow cable.