Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Is posting poo poo from the Donald Trump subreddit cheating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Depends. The city I work in a Muslim group wanted to build a Mosque but were protested against, and eventually shot down by city council on the basis that the land they wanted to build it on was zoned residential. I get it, actually. It was in a residential neighborhood. If I lived there I wouldn't want any large building with a gigantic parking being built basically in my backyard. Property values in that area would plummet, regardless of what the building was.

Go to Toronto sometime, I was just there and their zoning philosophy is pretty much "no rules, just right". We were staying in the east end and there was a large castle-looking mosque just dropped in the middle of suburban housing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I think the MGOW/Incel/MRA variants all derive from some tiny kernel of truth; even in TYOOL 2017 society values women more for their appearance, and being in a sexual relationship with a woman that is considered attractive is a status symbol for a man. So these men convince themselves they themselves don't have any 'value' if they can't meet these narrow definitions of manliness, and overcompensate. They all think this system is rigged against them, and they either seek to game it in their favor or abandon it entirely.

This kind of stuff doesn't just come out of nowhere. I'm always very curious about the type of relationships these guys have with their own families, especially female family members, or how their moms were treated by their dads.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

change my name posted:

Go to Toronto sometime, I was just there and their zoning philosophy is pretty much "no rules, just right". We were staying in the east end and there was a large castle-looking mosque just dropped in the middle of suburban housing.

Did the houses all become worth negative a bajillion dollars?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Depends. The city I work in a Muslim group wanted to build a Mosque but were protested against, and eventually shot down by city council on the basis that the land they wanted to build it on was zoned residential. I get it, actually. It was in a residential neighborhood. If I lived there I wouldn't want any large building with a gigantic parking being built basically in my backyard. Property values in that area would plummet, regardless of what the building was.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Did the houses all become worth negative a bajillion dollars?

Probably, but that's only because of all the obvious "the homeowner built this bridge to the top of their garage" type additions people bolt onto their houses.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Panfilo posted:

This kind of stuff doesn't just come out of nowhere. I'm always very curious about the type of relationships these guys have with their own families, especially female family members, or how their moms were treated by their dads.

Same.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

Is posting poo poo from the Donald Trump subreddit cheating?

''After a jury trial, Lemaricus Davidson was convicted and sentenced to death by lethal injection. Letalvis Cobbins and George Thomas were convicted and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Vanessa Coleman was convicted and sentenced to 53 years in prison for facilitating the crimes, and Eric Dewayne Boyd was convicted and sentenced to 18 years in federal prison for being an accessory after the fact to carjacking.''

OUTRAGEOUS THEY'RE STILL WALKING THE STREETS

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It kind of reminds me of when I went to Rotherham (UK Goon) on business, by which I mean a lovely job for a shady private company checking council houses loft insulation. There was an EDL protest at the train station whining about foreigners but the neighborhood we were looking at was incredibly lovely. Lots of windows were boarded up or broken, and of course there was a large population in the area of middle-eastern immigrants but it was a council estate, it was just neglected by the council. The only reason anyone would have ever gone near that place that didn't live there was an enormous Mosque standing proud in the middle of the block. A big golden (literally, Mosques, at least in the UK use very distinctive yellow bricks in their construction) focal point attracting any business to any corner shops in the area that would otherwise have no outside customers. The immigrant community were the only reasons that that place had anything to boast of at all. The people were all really nice as well despite not speaking much english (I got one family to understand why we were there by drawing a rough diagram of loft insulation. Visual aids :3: Don't speak any Urdu or any related languages myself and it was better than my partner trying increasingly loud voices)

UK Mosque for reference (Sheffield Mosque but one of my favourite examples:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 24, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Panfilo posted:

I think the MGOW/Incel/MRA variants all derive from some tiny kernel of truth; even in TYOOL 2017 society values women more for their appearance, and being in a sexual relationship with a woman that is considered attractive is a status symbol for a man. So these men convince themselves they themselves don't have any 'value' if they can't meet these narrow definitions of manliness, and overcompensate. They all think this system is rigged against them, and they either seek to game it in their favor or abandon it entirely.

But at the end of the day, they are still treating women like garbage. They are doing nothing to improve the system they live in, or help women in any capacity. They act like victims while focusing their anger on a group that doesn't need more anger against them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Are churches not allowed in residential areas where you are from?

Because I really don't know where else they would be zoned, they aren't commercial or industrial.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

But at the end of the day, they are still treating women like garbage. They are doing nothing to improve the system they live in, or help women in any capacity. They act like victims while focusing their anger on a group that doesn't need more anger against them.

Because they think they're the real victims here, not women. They hate these Chad stereotypes, not because how they think Chads treat women but because they're not a Chad themselves.

There's a ton of insecurity underneath it obviously. I noticed people that are single for a long time often develop a crippling fear of rejection often as well.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

RFC2324 posted:

Because I really don't know where else they would be zoned, they aren't commercial or industrial.

This was my thought. drat near every church I can think of near my house is definitely in a residential zoning area.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

RFC2324 posted:

Correct. They are not a place of residence, they are a business.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
From Community Development Zoning

quote:

Traditionally church zoning wasn't an issue. Places of worship were allowed "as of right" under municipal zoning codes in residential districts.

Thinking about the 1930s, when many U.S. cities initiated zoning, many households walked to worship services, and it wasn't disruptive at all to have a place of worship in a residential district. A few zealous municipalities created a zoning category called institutional, and placed that designation on churches, schools, and government buildings. Increasingly, special use permits are required to obtain permission to build or expand a house of worship, for several reasons:

1. Now, most attendees arrive by automobile, so traffic is an issue. We aren't religiously homogeneous as a people, so in a typical community, churches, synagogues, and mosques are holding services at many different times during the week. So the traffic situation isn't isolated to a couple of hours per week.

2. Not only are we more diverse, but also the congregations are taking on more and more roles. Many sponsor day care centers, parents day out programs, senior citizen activities, youth recreation, social services, and many other activities at all times of the day and week. Almost everyone comes and goes by automobile. So it's no longer true that a place of worship can't disrupt a residential neighborhood. Sometimes church zoning becomes very controversial, once specifics are known. Some controversies about places of worship will be based on the particular faith that proposes to build. If it's a minority faith in the community, you could be faced with a major dispute that will have nothing to do with land use.

To deal with traffic and commotion, many municipalities have started to add stipulations to the still-prevalent practice of allowing church zoning in residential districts. Most common among these would be requiring a special use permit or a conditional use permit. Strictly speaking, a special use permit merely requires an additional level of scrutiny, namely a public hearing and recommendation from the planning commission, and then another public hearing and action by the city council or whatever your governing body is called.

A conditional use permit requires these same procedures, but also spells out "conditions" that must be met at all times during the operation of the land use in question. However, in practice, the two terms are often used interchangeably. Either allows public input and questioning as to actual scheduling and frequency of events, and also handling of traffic and parking arrangements.

Sometimes noise is a church zoning issue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Correct. They are not a place of residence, they are a business.

They are not a business tho, as much as many atheists want to claim this. They are places of worship, those who believe in religion. Some mega churches are, but there is a reason even the government is trying to find a way to get those out of business.

Oh, and business zoning is commercial zoning, just saying.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Yeah, the idea of Revelations as being prophecy of events leading up to the apocalypse is a fairly new (and almost exclusively American) idea. From a historical perspective it's fairly clear that John was writing about things happening in his time, but doing so in coded and metaphorical language.
I'm not sure that it was an American idea (don't know THAT much about medieval apocalypticism) but it's based on 19th-century theology and the modern version was originally written by Hal Lindsay in the 1970s. Since then it's been updated every couple of years to fit the popular boogeyman of the moment. I used to read about this stuff in college in a confused, I-was-raised-Catholic kind of way. It's pretty pandering.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

One is clearly pre-trib Vicki, the other post-trib.

PS, please no one ever tell End Times Believers why shortening Tribulations to "trib" is funny.
Tribbles! :3:

eta:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Obvious fact that is often overlooked: No women wants your respect. They love bitterness and contempt. Here's a venn diagram to illustrate

I want star chamber campus rape tribunals to be hotter than everybody else. And (another) masters.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Who wants IOSM from a local Pokemon Go FB group?

And a sampling of the comments...

Possible thread title: Idiots on Social Media: Twerking, drugs, and violence

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Don't Mosques have call to prayers over loudspeakers? Might be annoying 5 times a day in a residential area. I realize churches have bells, but that's not really the same thing.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
Oh got one.
Opposing viewpoints for imgurs liberal views. https://imgur.com/gallery/iFGL9

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blind Pineapple posted:

What would the birds and the bees be with Pokemon characters

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Pidgey and the Beedrill. Duh.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh got one.

I never thought I would see a "women don't mind earning less because they want to have kids anyway" used as a serious argument, but there you go.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh got one.

it took me one, maybe two bullet points on each "idea" to just skip it because I knew exactly what stupid poo poo it would say. I still don't understand how you get so broken that you think any of those things is cool and good.

Edit: Also, lol at "us liberals" this person has never held a liberal viewpoint on anything ever. Also, the Milo part about LGBT being bullies to religious people.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh got one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

Do they realize that most people have done several playthroughs of Pokémon with a rival named "PENIS" or "DOUCHE" or "FUCKFACE"?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh got one.

Pretty smart way to make an echo chamber; post that and accuse anyone who disagrees with you as being closed minded.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do they realize that most people have done several playthroughs of Pokémon with a rival named "PENIS" or "DOUCHE" or "FUCKFACE"?
That just reminds me of the fact that Fuckface is indeed one of the names that Fallout 4 recognizes and will use if you call yourself that. :v:

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
Harmless IOSM: a friend of mine updated her profile picture to be her and her boyfriend, and fifteen minutes later (and even as of this post) only her and her boyfriend have "liked" the picture on Facebook, so this post happens:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't Mosques have call to prayers over loudspeakers? Might be annoying 5 times a day in a residential area. I realize churches have bells, but that's not really the same thing.

I think they are supposed to, but the one near my home doesn't. Could be a common practice in Muslim minority areas.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Tame but the person who posted this posts nothing but how excited she is for Halloween. That or what a fan she is of horror movies. Anybody else have a similar person on their list?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bean_shadow posted:

Tame but the person who posted this posts nothing but how excited she is for Halloween. That or what a fan she is of horror movies. Anybody else have a similar person on their list?

"There are only 182 days until Christmas!"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

bean_shadow posted:

Me :spooky:

I've mostly seen none too subtle reminders about the true meaning of Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and of course Independence Day.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

bean_shadow posted:

I liked Halloween at exactly the right level until I ran into like 2 dozen of these people and now I loving hate it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bean_shadow posted:

Most, if not all, of the women I have dated, just to start with.

People being WAY into Halloween is definitely a fairly common thing, tho I never did understand it.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Most, if not all, of the women I have dated, just to start with.

People being WAY into Halloween is definitely a fairly common thing, tho I never did understand it.

they gotta base their identity around SOMETHING

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Idiots on social media: Grow up, it's Pokemon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I imagine there's at least some overlap between people being way too into Halloween and mental illness. Everyone I've ever known who was like that was mentally unstable.

edit: or a teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I loving love Halloween and I throw a big party every year a few Saturdays before called A Ghouls Night Out and it's the only thing I look forward to :unsmith:

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine there's at least some overlap between people being way too into Halloween and mental illness. Everyone I've ever known who was like that was mentally unstable.

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Aug 25, 2016