Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

There's some amount of scaling based on ship (spawns got noticeably nastier once I upgraded from Asp to Anaconda), but mostly in terms of what ships you come up against. If you downgrade to an Eagle, you'll probably be coming up against engineer-boosted Eagles and Vipers instead of engineer-boosted Anacondas.

Ok, thanks. At least it is a chang of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Main Paineframe posted:

No idea. I just punched vague terms into Google Image Search and picked something that looked cool

Know thyself, frogfriend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Peterson (balls)

Yolomon Wayne posted:

2 runs for loving 50 cigars that are only sold by one station in the galaxy in batches of not-50.
2.5 hours of buggying for a single loving drop of (3) Tellurium.
14 jumps to get grid somethings, 16 jumps back.
Outcome: 35.13MW power plant on my FDL.

Thanks Hera, it was totally worth it.
But i dont think i want to see you ever again.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

tooterfish posted:

Scoopable stars are:

Oh
Be
A
Fine
Girl
Kiss
Me

KGB FOAM is another option that always seems to stick in my brain better

MVEMDOIST is a good mnemonic too (My Very Educated Mother Disproves of Instantaneous Ship Transfer)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I disagree with that last one.

Also…

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Sounds like you need to modify yo poo poo! I got the hookup right here:

The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer

This is pretty neato. Now I just need to buy the Engineers update :haw:

Edit:

Oh, it's Horizons that's the paid DLC. Can I do all this with the base game then?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Capn Beeb posted:

This is pretty neato. Now I just need to buy the Engineers update :haw:

Edit:

Oh, it's Horizons that's the paid DLC. Can I do all this with the base game then?

No, you need Horizons to do engineers. They're all located planetside.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nope, Frontier were crafty and made all the engineers live on planets.

e: fuckin hax

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What's a good all-purpose Cutter to do engineer stuff in if I'm extremely space rich but also extremely bad at the game because most of my playtime has been spent reloading mission boards?

I'm thinking lots of turrets, but I can't seem to make the power work :shobon:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Dang it, I wanna overclock my big rear end multicannons :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is there a site I can input information about a system and it'll give me a list of systems that fit that?

Specifically, I'm trying to find a High Tech system in a boom state in Empire Space. It'd be nice to have such a tool for future scenarios as well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Met posted:

Is there a site I can input information about a system and it'll give me a list of systems that fit that?

Specifically, I'm trying to find a High Tech system in a boom state in Empire Space. It'd be nice to have such a tool for future scenarios as well.

https://eddb.io/system

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Thanks.

I need WAY TOO MANY Modular Terminals.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Do you mean in general or in the special case of joystick in VR? I've done the former, and it works pretty well — hell, it's more reliable in terms of keeping a system focused than using mouse + kb. I To make it work well, though, you kind of need 6 different axes, not all of them analogue.

My setup is joystick x/y to dolly the camera x/y, with a switch to make it a z-axis dolly instead; rotation is bound to a hat and zooming is bound to another. That hat also skips left/right through the map submenues, while a a third hat does the usual selection of system actions (select, path to, system map etc). It works pretty well, if a bit bit slowly, but as mentioned it's actually more precise and reliable than not using the joystick.

…now how well that works in VR, I can't answer. :v:

I use something along those lines, and it's honestly way more useable (in VR too) than with a mouse. I swear I nearly lost my mind trying to click systems with the mouse. Then I switched to VR, so I said "welp, people say map is poo poo in vr, but I might as well bind all this crap if I'm gonna play in VR" and behold, suddenly map works great.

The people saying map is bad in VR are dirty dirty liars.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm doing the (hilarious) mines thing against NPC interdictions. Question: do pips to weapons do anything for mines?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm doing the (hilarious) mines thing against NPC interdictions. Question: do pips to weapons do anything for mines?

Not really. Keep them in SYS and ENG depending on how you intend to avoid exploding and just spam more mines.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tippis posted:

Not really. Keep them in SYS and ENG depending on how you intend to avoid exploding and just spam more mines.

Awesome. That's what I figured but I didn't want to be gimping my portable minefield in some way.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I decided to go out and see the fsd lady (not felicity). I kitted out an Asp in order to do so, and somehow I have the gold skin for it? I have never bought any Asp skins on the store. (The only one I remember having is the black Friday skin)

What happened there?

Also, was I wrong in believing that you could modify the equipment of any ship you owned, regardless of the fact that it's several hundred light-years away? This lady seems to only let me tweak the Asp, not my FDL which is like 300ly down the road.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It was a reward for pre-ordering Horizons (or having a lifetime pass) if I remember rightly.

Wear it with pride, lord it up over the plebs!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Oh I know about KGBFOAM.

I meant to plot the route. I could avoid those long stretches of no stoppable stars.

The golden asp skin was for buying Horizons before they decided to add it as DLC to Steam, when before it was a standalone product.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 25, 2016

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

That site always seems to be out of date, at least when it comes to commodities prices.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

CapnBry posted:

I just checked this and holy cow what a dick move. You lose 10% of the cost of the modules if you just sell the ship with everything on it. I thought for sure you'd get full price for the modules, 10% off the ship. Numbers:
Sidewinder: cost 32,000
Sell: offered 28,800
Added reactive surface composite armor (139,424): offered (forgot to write this down but it was ~154k) not 28,800 + 139,424 = 167,424.

So yeah that sucks. I guess I lose money every time I buy a Hauler to be a taxi and fit it with an A class FSD and fuel scoopie and sell it outright when I get where I am going.

Regarding using the galaxy map in VR, I was doing a twitch stream yesterday and I was going from Lave to Delkar and I thought, "I have a pretty good idea of where that is and what is around it so let's just find it using the HOTAS." Nope, a minute later I take the hat off and go walk to the other room, type it in, hit enter, waggle the rotation left and right a bit so I can select it and tromp back to the VR room grumbling. Relying heavily on "open galaxy map" from the mission list, or having a handful of bookmarks really helps but space is so big, I don't want to go to just the same places over and over again!

Anyone with a GTX 1070 have a good configuration that isn't all alias-artifacted to hell and doesn't drop too many frames? Funny I can run this game at 100+ FPS on Ultra with 2.0x SuperSampling with the GPU at 100% usage, but in VR even "VR HIgh" reprojects like a mo-fo in the station. All that news from gamescom and not one question was if they're looking at doing FOVeated rendering, lens-matched shading, or implementing simultaneous stereo rendering using the new Nvidia stuff. I want my VR to be as beautiful as my desktop!

I experimented with this a bit on a 1080 and found that the only way to stop reprojection with supersampling at 2.0 is to turn EVERY graphics setting to the absolute minimum. No shadows, no AA, low res textures, short draw distance, everything. As soon as I turned on any of those settings the motion blur that indicates reprojection set in. Stations are the problem; in space it can handle quite high settings. I think there's just too much geometry in stations.

The game looks really, really weird and poo poo with no shadows, but it's still better than the blur.

My solution was to stop playing in VR. That's a bit sad but it's actually better anyway because you can alt-tab during the agonizing waiting periods (jumping/supercruising).

CapnBry posted:

I wish there was some way to set what you wanted, either by going to certain places which are of a certain type (larger ships vs smaller ships, or engineer ships vs stock) or just being able to set it directly. I was in my Vulture and was in a high res blasting away on Anacondas and FDLs for an hour and having a great time, getting like 2M in bounties in an hour, and I said "Let's go get the Anaconda!" Flew back and switched ships and went back to the exact same place and it was all Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Eagle, Cobra, Cobra, Imperial Eagle, Cobra. I tried logging out and back in, same ship assortment. I switched to solo play, same ships. I wouldn't mind as much but they only spawn so fast and killing a dude for 10-30k bounty every 4-5 minutes is balls. Especially if the space cops come and destroy the poor fellow before I can get my 800 ton rear end over to him.

It's like playing a fantasy MMOG where all the dungeons are filled with random level dudes, that spawn one at a time, on the other side of the dungeon.

There are four kinds of RES spawns, and which one you get is random. Just keep resetting the instance until you get a good one. The spawns are: hazardous, big ships, mixture, and small ships. Brown sea effortpost: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/132183-Simple-Guide-to-RES-Resource-Extraction-Site-Bounty-Hunting

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Gonkish posted:

I decided to go out and see the fsd lady (not felicity). I kitted out an Asp in order to do so, and somehow I have the gold skin for it? I have never bought any Asp skins on the store. (The only one I remember having is the black Friday skin)

What happened there?

Also, was I wrong in believing that you could modify the equipment of any ship you owned, regardless of the fact that it's several hundred light-years away? This lady seems to only let me tweak the Asp, not my FDL which is like 300ly down the road.

At some point in the future you'll be able to move ships around automatically, but for right now you can only mod the ship you bring to the engineer.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Offtopic:

Hello CapnBry, I like your blog and still use your mob finder for daoc sometimes.

Ontopic:

I really dislike flying the Anaconda due to its size, so I sold it and went back to a python and some other smaller, nippier ships. I'm kinda slowly grinding up the last couple ranks for the corvette but I'm worried I will hate it like the Conda. Anyone have a first-hand comparison?

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Rasmussen posted:

Offtopic:

Hello CapnBry, I like your blog and still use your mob finder for daoc sometimes.

Ontopic:

I really dislike flying the Anaconda due to its size, so I sold it and went back to a python and some other smaller, nippier ships. I'm kinda slowly grinding up the last couple ranks for the corvette but I'm worried I will hate it like the Conda. Anyone have a first-hand comparison?

What did you dislike about the Conda? The Vette is large like the Conda, turns better, better huge gun placement. Still slow in normal space like the Conda.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

mpyro posted:

What did you dislike about the Conda? The Vette is large like the Conda, turns better, better huge gun placement. Still slow in normal space like the Conda.

The general hugeness of it, and the placement of the cockpit were the two main issues.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
As an earthlike planet was found around Proxima Centauri. I know they changed Pluto's graphic due to the actual images of Pluto. Think they will change up the Alpha Centauri system at all due to the discovery of the new planet?

It's in the habital zone. It orbits Proxima Centauri every 11 days. It's orbit is 0.05 AU.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

I know you like to throw this meltdown thing around, but this is none.
Im actually pretty glad ive gotten my 25.2mw to a 35.13 cause i now will never have to worry about power supply again.

I still would like to see hera tani die in a fire for the surface part of the mission though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I know you like to throw this meltdown thing around, but this is none.
Im actually pretty glad ive gotten my 25.2mw to a 35.13 cause i now will never have to worry about power supply again.

I still would like to see hera tani die in a fire for the surface part of the mission though.

That's why I took one look at Hera Tani long ago and went Hell no. Instead I gave Qwent his 25 modular terminals and got my better power supply that way.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Rasmussen posted:

The general hugeness of it, and the placement of the cockpit were the two main issues.

The Vette is the same cockpit placement and about the same size.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

mpyro posted:

The Vette is the same cockpit placement and about the same size.

I think I might save myself the trouble if that's the case!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Rasmussen posted:

I think I might save myself the trouble if that's the case!

It's also just as much an immovable brick in supercruise as the conda is.

The anaconda's normal space performance never bothered me, it's flying the drat thing in supercruise that drove me mad.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How do you find targets for assassination missions these days?

Description says signal sources, ive check them all for 40 minutes and my target aws nowhere to be seen?

e: what kind of sources am i supposed to check?
they dont fly around in hyperspace like they used to, do they?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 25, 2016

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I don't know if they changed it for assassination missions but have you tried honking the system or scanning the nav beacon?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I don't know if they changed it for assassination missions but have you tried honking the system or scanning the nav beacon?

Yes.
I enter the target system, get the update about the time window.
Within the window, i stay near the target astronomical body give in the mission update upon honking.
Then i constantly check contacts and all signal sources that pop up and have, as of now, failed 3 assassinations in a row due to target not showing up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Welp. Horribly unlucky maybe? I know you used to have to fly around for an hour just to not find the guy. When I was doing Sirius rep yesterday I did a couple of missions where I needed to get some canister from a USS and they very clearly pop up as mission objective USS with coloured text to differentiate from normal USS. Hopefully they do the same with other mission types too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

It's also just as much an immovable brick in supercruise as the conda is.

The anaconda's normal space performance never bothered me, it's flying the drat thing in supercruise that drove me mad.

In exploration, I've learned to just drop out of supercruise, re-align, and go back to supercruise again. When flying bricks like the Anaconda and the Cutter, that's the only thing keeping your space madness from becoming real madness. Maneuvering through supercruise the "normal" way is just a flat-out bad idea.

This is especially true for the Imperial Cutter. Boy, if you think flying the Anaconda in supercruise is hard, never try the Cutter. Believe me, your mental health will thank me. :shepface:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

IAmTheRad posted:

As an earthlike planet was found around Proxima Centauri. I know they changed Pluto's graphic due to the actual images of Pluto. Think they will change up the Alpha Centauri system at all due to the discovery of the new planet?

It's in the habital zone. It orbits Proxima Centauri every 11 days. It's orbit is 0.05 AU.

I was recording of science video about this last night and so I actually looked at the game to see what was around Proxima Centauri. Turns out the planet Eden is .01 AU and yet has an orbit of 31 days so basically they made a mistake somewhere because the orbit period at 0.01AU should be for 24 hours. 31days is the period for something at 0.1AU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I was planning on going to visit it tonight to see what was there! I wonder if they'll update it with the new info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Some lovely Xbox clan moved into my home system, a rugged, independent mining colony at the edge of the bubble. Now Mahon's cronies are stinking up the joint. I do not like this. :smith:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 25, 2016

• Locked thread