Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
This is like the 4th story this month fed to the media from the Conservative party. Gotta hand it to them; they're playing the media like a fiddle, they love ATIPs

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/flight-manifest-trudeau-st-kitts-1.3732608

quote:

The flight manifest for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Christmas vacation to the Caribbean, released to the Conservatives through an access to information request, was redacted to leave off the names of family members and a nanny who travelled on the government-owned Challenger jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/this-canadian-hacker-is-doxxing-racist-internet-commenters

quote:

Comment sections can be hate-filled wastelands. Some posters share their racist, misogynistic, and demeaning thoughts behind the protection of aliases. When forced to use their real names, they believe they have a supportive audience, no one cares, or won't face any real consequences. A Canadian hacker I'm calling Danny takes joy in exposing and punishing these people.

"All I ever want from people is to simply stop oppressing others," Danny wrote over IM chat before I met him in person. "With belief, with privilege, or even just with online words. I want white males to accept the yoke of our horrible, terrifying track record in history."

The man who leaks others' personal information did not want to be identified. As part of an agreement for an interview, I can confirm he is "from the Prairies" and "holds a lofty position at a large IT company." In his spare time, he doxxes people he believes are bigots.

I don't advocate doxxing but somehow I cannot feel bad for the typical racist CBC commenter finding themselves exposed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

brucio posted:

This is like the 4th story this month fed to the media from the Conservative party. Gotta hand it to them; they're playing the media like a fiddle, they love ATIPs

The cost of hauling those extra passengers and their luggaged burned tens of dollars worth of fuel. Taxpayers tens of dollars.

Time to impeach.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Morroque posted:

Sometimes the Beaverton just gets really petty all of a sudden.

That's based on recent events unfortunately.

quote:

Ontario Tories apologize to party activists after controversial youth seminar

The Progressive Conservatives are doing damage control after a training session for young party activists sparked complaints of shoe-throwing by an official and inadequate food and water.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/08/23/ontario-tories-apologize-to-party-activists-after-controversial-youth-seminar.html

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 25, 2016

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...PSocialNewsfeed

I thought this might be a better place to put this article. I know how much you all applaud the protections of government jobs and how important they are for protecting the social and moral fabric of canada. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the article. Quite informative, but the only surprising part is that they found anyone working for the CRA willing to speak to the press. I'd be terrified of getting on their bad side.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Powershift posted:

Time to impeach.

My grandpa is calling (on facebook) for parliament to hold a vote of no-confidence in Trudeau. He doesn't seem to understand how this system works, but gently caress it, he's old as dirt. I'm impressed he figured out how to post in the first place.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Patrick Brown was my hometown MP and through the country club and that sort of thing a pretty familiar face.

Between being around him then, hearing about his Barrie nightlife and then more stories in Ottawa the man's closet must look like catacombs.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

CanLit Generator posted:

One of the Eatons gets government funding despite the wishes of a wealthy father.

I liked this one. :mmmhmm:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My grandpa is calling (on facebook) for parliament to hold a vote of no-confidence in Trudeau. He doesn't seem to understand how this system works, but gently caress it, he's old as dirt. I'm impressed he figured out how to post in the first place.

Im confident in Trudeau to continue putting on a pretty public face while pushing forward with the CPC traditions of the last 10 years :colbert:

e:

Frosted Flake posted:

Patrick Brown was my hometown MP and through the country club and that sort of thing a pretty familiar face.

Between being around him then, hearing about his Barrie nightlife and then more stories in Ottawa the man's closet must look like catacombs.

Patrick Brown is the end result of years of CPC rhetoric and right wing propaganda. He is going to be our Trump.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 25, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Meanwhile, in Surrey...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress your loving grandpa

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Frosted Flake posted:

kill yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Viral video to try and get more exposure towards safe needle sites or anti-opiod overdose meds? Is that what this is?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
So today, as the verdict for Richard Henry Bain, the somewhat psychotic elderly guy who tried to shoot at Pauline Marois on the night of her election, killing a stagehand, was delivered. Our minister of health Gaetan Barette (ex CAQ star candidate) was fortunately there to explain why. During a debate in the National Assembly he implied towards the PQ that heavily charged political language was definitely the cause, seemingly ignoring the fact that this would imply the Liberals would be most guilty of this offence (and especially his own person).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

patonthebach posted:

Viral video to try and get more exposure towards safe needle sites or anti-opiod overdose meds? Is that what this is?
I'm not sure what they're asking for, exactly. As they point out, the overdose medication naloxone is becoming less effective due to a flood of cheap synthetic opioids from China, some of which* bind so tightly to opioid receptors that you can't block them effectively. So neither safer injection sites nor naloxone kits will solve the problem; maybe it's just 'raising awareness'?

As an aside, every non-profit, especially in the inner city for some reason, has someone whose brilliant idea to raise exposure for your poor little clinic is "let's make a viral video!" And the results are inevitably as embarrassing as this, and the videos get 15 views and don't do anything, and I want to kill the nice menopausal lady who's trying to get me to dance on camera.

*Fentanyl isn't quite as strong of a ligand as naloxone at the µ-receptor, so naloxone does work (with difficulty) to reverse an overdose. W-18, media reports to the contrary, appears to have no effect on any opioid receptors, so who the gently caress knows how it's killing people. All this poo poo comes as loose powder from China - $11K a kilo, guaranteed delivery! - so some of it may indeed be exotic fentanyl derivatives which can bind tighter than naloxone, much like what the Russians used to knock everyone out in that theatre hostage.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Squibbles posted:

Haha there's a notice on my company intranet that we are not allowed to go on business trips or attend conferences in Texas for tax reasons. Not that we are a particularly big company or anything but I guess those kinds of tax policy can end up costing business to a state/province. It's probably a net gain though, I would imagine.

Texas has no state income tax, so there must be some other reason.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

brucio posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that a better strategy would be to wait to release these stories until Parliament is back doing stuff to counter-program or attempt to drown out Trudeau's policies? Nobody's switching their vote to Conservatives because of some plane tickets.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I drempt I met Chris Selley last night, in a Vietnamese restaurant. I chided him about his columns this summer and he accepted my criticism with a good natured chuckle.

Help.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Meanwhile in Alberta...

quote:

Drive west from Calgary on the Trans-Canada Highway toward the Rocky Mountains and you'll pass a distinct billboard that isn't promoting a hotel, restaurant or other attraction.

Its message is vague, with images of airplane trails crisscrossing a sky and an accompanying website address. While this may confuse most people, the motive for the sign is all too clear to world-renowned climate researcher David Keith.

The Harvard scientist was amazed when he saw the billboard and admittedly a little frightened.

The billboard promotes a conspiracy theory about governments secretly spraying chemicals from the sky to sterilize people. While it may sound outlandish, Keith has received aggressive threats from believers because his research involves altering the atmosphere.

"I get emails once every few days, I get occasional mails that are really wild hate mail. I've had packages that I'm a little worried to open."

Shading Earth from the sun
Average human's ecological impact shrinks
He also receives disturbing phone calls, and twice the threats were serious enough that the police were called.

"I suppose if you really believe it, then it's rational to want to kill me because if you really believe it, then you believe I'm some mass murderer orchestrating the death of the human race," he said in an interview with CBC News.

Keith lives part time in nearby Canmore, Alta,, so it feels like the billboard is in his backyard.

The website (or rather URL redirect) is being run by the guy who owns this service:
http://www.banffairporter.com/

I guess that explains why the owner of the company can throw money at a dumb billboard.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm saying if a cop doesn't look like a Canadian police officer I will not stop until a police officer in a proper CANADIAN uniform were to appear I also have rights .. especially since I'm 5 generation Canadian & members of my family died fighting for Canada & freedom wearing traditional CANADIAN uniforms . So if you don't like the uniform don't apply it's really that simple .Canada FIRST!!

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Lobok posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that a better strategy would be to wait to release these stories until Parliament is back doing stuff to counter-program or attempt to drown out Trudeau's policies? Nobody's switching their vote to Conservatives because of some plane tickets.

They've been coming out during this month's infrastructure announcements, which is each MP's excuse to brag about the good things they're doing for their riding.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

For a while there were a bunch of Chemtrail ads on the Toronto subway so presumably there's a decent amount of conspiracy crazies with too much disposable income.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Meanwhile in Alberta...

The website (or rather URL redirect) is being run by the guy who owns this service:
http://www.banffairporter.com/

I guess that explains why the owner of the company can throw money at a dumb billboard.

Wait what? A guy who runs a plane company thinks chemtrails, the chemicals the government secretly puts in airplane exhaust, are real? :psyduck:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

Wait what? A guy who runs a plane company thinks chemtrails, the chemicals the government secretly puts in airplane exhaust, are real? :psyduck:

Bus company, but he is around airports so he knows something is up because he sees people hosing chemicals into them all the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ironically, I think it would be a net benefit if the government were actually sterilizing people who believe in outlandish conspiracy theories like chemtrails.

I'm not saying they should do it, but if they were doing it, I'd have a really hard time getting too upset.

Arivia posted:

No, it's a bus service that drives you from Calgary airport to Banff for a rather exorbitant fee.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh my bad. Missed that/thought there was a larger distance between the two.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Why Christy Clark’s pause on carbon pricing makes sense

History reveals that every revolution eventually turns on its own adherents, with varying degrees of violence. Radicals and zealots are never satisfied with anything less than permanent upheaval; anyone who advocates moderation or consensus soon comes to be seen as a traitor to the cause. If we accept that a carbon tax represents a revolution of sorts for Canada, this backlash against reason has already appeared in British Columbia.

B.C. was once the darling of the Canadian environmental movement. In 2008 it led the country—and all of North America—on climate change by instituting a comprehensive tax of $10 per tonne of carbon emissions. This tax was hiked annually until it hit $30/tonne in 2012, precipitating a noticeable decline in provincial emissions without causing dramatic economic hardship. (A $30 tax adds approximately seven cents to a litre of gas.) Environmentalists across the country sang B.C.’s praises and loudly demanded other provinces follow its lead. Those days are over.

Last week, B.C. Premier Christy Clark announced an update to her province’s climate change policy. Plenty of new measures are up for debate in this package, but the main issue is her decision to halt further increases in the provincial carbon tax. In doing so she disregarded an advisory panel’s recommendation that the tax be boosted by $10/tonne every year from 2018 until 2050, when it would hit $350/tonne. (Equivalent to about 80¢ per litre of gas.) With an election in the near future, Clark was clearly concerned about the political and practical ramifications of such a move.

For her caution, Clark received a furious blast from many of the same environmental groups that once lauded her province. “It’s irresponsible and unacceptable that our so-called leaders refuse to act,” groused the B.C.-based Wilderness Committee. Clean Energy Canada claimed “B.C.’s climate leadership has fizzled.” Well-known B.C. academic Mark Jaccard labelled Clark’s decision a “cynically ineffective” policy that is “taking cynicism to a new level.”

From the angry tone of her critics, you might think Clark had pulled B.C. off its perch as Canada’s climate change policy leader. Not so. B.C. still has the highest carbon tax in the country. Alberta won’t match B.C.’s $30/tonne carbon price until 2018. Quebec currently operates, and Ontario plans to join, a cap-and-trade system that prices carbon emissions at about $16/tonne. Manitoba, Saskatchewan and the Atlantic provinces have no specific policies or prices. “We will consider raising the carbon tax as other provinces catch up,” Clark said, quite appropriately. And yet Canada’s reigning carbon tax champion is being treated by environmentalists as a counter-revolutionary. Only the show trial remains.

A few important public policy lessons fall out of B.C.’s recent experience. First, there is clearly no benefit to being a first mover on climate change. For all its accomplishments over the past eight years, the B.C. government is now condemned for allowing the rest of the country to equal its achievements. If soaking up praise from the environmental lobby is a goal, it seems better to be a follower rather than a leader—which explains why Ontario and Alberta are the new favourites among the notoriously fickle green crowd.

Second, the fury directed at Clark suggests most environmental groups are clueless about the political context of climate change. While B.C.’s $30/tonne carbon tax has had a significant impact on a few industries exposed to foreign competition, such as cement and agriculture, the fact the broader economy has not been brought to a standstill doesn’t mean the same will be true at $350/tonne. The province’s own budgetary analysis concludes that “increasing the carbon tax beyond the current $30 per tonne would have a stronger negative effect on economic growth.” No successful politician can ignore the economic implications of their actions, or the electorate’s ability to accept change. Carbon emission targets must always be balanced against other public policy obligations.

Finally, the demand that B.C. ratchet its carbon price far beyond other provinces’ efforts misses the bigger picture. The objective of a coherent national climate change policy should be a single, consistent price across the entire country. Massive differences in tax rates or cap-and-trade fees between provinces will create substantial economic damage by encouraging businesses and consumers to move around the country to take advantage of these variances. Widening the gap between B.C. and the rest of Canada is thus counter-productive to the interests of a national carbon plan. And with a federal-provincial conference on climate change coming this fall, it makes ample sense for B.C. to wait to see if Ottawa sets a floor price on carbon across the country, and at what level. Provincial convergence, not divergence, is the appropriate goal.

Having achieved what was once thought impossible in Canada—broad acceptance of carbon pricing—the revolutionaries of the environmental movement must learn to give credit where it’s due, and focus their attention on encouraging the laggards rather than attacking the leaders.

Thoughts?

I don't like how BC has been regressing from its climate change moves in the early 2000s, though I can see the logic from the provinces' point of view in the province putting some pressure on the Feds to bring on board some national carbon price.

Related somewhat, I still don't understand Ontario's cap and trade concept and it seems like a disaster to me.

quote:

Struggling cap-and-trade auctions threaten Ontario's $8B climate change plan

The cap-and-trade program Ontario’s set to join next year is having big trouble in California and Quebec, and it could mean Ontario’s much-heralded $8.3-billion Climate Change Action Plan has far less money to spend in reality.

For the second time in a row, a joint cap-and-trade auction held by California and Quebec has failed to sell most of the emissions allowances on offer. It leaves the two governments hundreds of millions of dollars short on revenue projections, and nobody can say for certain why the auctions are failing.

Cap-and-trade auctions are held quarterly, and see businesses buying allowances from the government to cover their expected greenhouse gas emissions during a time period. Businesses can also trade allowances in between auctions. In a cap-and-trade system, there is a total cap on emissions and only enough allowances to fit within that cap. The cap comes down over time.

Ontario has budgeted for about $2 billion annually from cap-and-trade auctions, starting next year — a figure that will be impossible to meet if these auction results continue.

California and Quebec have been holding joint auctions since November 2014. The first five sold out completely, while the sixth sold 95 per cent of the allowances on offer. But Joint Auction #7, held in May, was a bust that saw only 11 per cent of allowances sold, and observers were anxiously awaiting results of the August auction to see if the market would rebound.

A summary report of Joint Auction #8 was released Tuesday, and it shows only 35 per cent of the total allowances were sold — an improvement from May, but a far cry from what the governments had budgeted for.

“Thirty-five per cent is definitely showing that there’s a problem,” said Duncan Rotherham, a carbon market expert who has done cap-and-trade modelling for Ontario energy firms. “And this is twice as scary as the first one because it’s a trend.”

In fact, the underlying numbers for California are even worse. Almost all of the allowances purchased in the California auction were special “consignment” allowances given to energy utilities; the state government sold just one per cent of its allowances on offer, which is disastrous for projects — such as California’s high-speed rail plan — that are supposed to be funded from auction revenue. California had been raising about $650 million to $800 million (Canadian) per auction, but May’s only raised about $13 million and August’s will be even worse. Quebec has raised roughly $200 million per sold-out auction, but only raised $20 million in May’s auction.

The same problem could be about to hit Ontario’s government. The five-year, $8.3-billion climate change action plan is to be funded entirely from cap-and-trade revenue. The plan is seen as crucial to meet Ontario’s emissions-reduction targets, and is supposed to fund electric vehicle incentives, home energy retrofit programs, and many more green initiatives.

A statement from Environment and Climate Change Minister Glen Murray’s office said the province has built its action plan so it can adjust to auction results.

“As it is a market system, fluctuations are expected and the result of one single auction is not an indicator of the strength of the market,” the statement said, despite the fact Postmedia asked about two poor auctions in a row.

“It’s important to note that, on average, 80 per cent of total current allowances offered have been sold at auction,” the statement continued. “The Climate Change Action Plan has specific built-in ranges to adjust to auction results and was designed with that flexibility.”

Ontario’s cap-and-trade program starts up in January 2017, but for the first year the auctions will be isolated within the province. The joint auctions with California and Quebec start in 2018, and the total revenue from those auctions will be split proportionally between the three jurisdictions.

Rotherham said it’s unclear what will happen when Ontario starts its auctions — even when the auctions are Ontario-only. He said the secondary market, where businesses can trade the allowances they’ve purchased in auctions, could start seeing large discounts if nobody’s buying at the regular auctions.

“You could have buyers in Ontario saying, maybe we need to sit out of these Ontario auctions,” he said. “Why would I buy fully priced Ontario allowances when I can wait and buy discounted (California and Quebec) allowances?”

He also pointed out that if California businesses have stopped buying but Ontario’s are ready to gobble up allowances, the split auction revenue results in “a massive transfer of wealth from Ontario to California.”

When trying to diagnose the problem with the auctions, most people point to legal and political uncertainty in California. A lawsuit arguing the program is an unconstitutional tax is working its way through the courts, and the state government is battling political opponents over how to extend the program past 2020.

Dave Sawyer, whose EnviroEconomics firm has done cap-and-trade analysis for the Ontario government and other clients, said it’s not surprising the auctions are struggling, given the uncertainty in California. But he said it could also simply be that cap-and-trade is working and emissions reductions are happening faster than expected, meaning fewer allowances are necessary.

He said observers need to be patient because the system is so complex, and it will take a long time to know whether deeper problems are at play — or if this is just short-term turbulence from California’s political situation.

“I don’t know if this is a trend yet,” he said. “Does it indicate an underlying structural problem? I don’t think one can conclude that. There’s all kinds of reasons you could find to explain it.”

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Helsing posted:

He gave that file to Bill Blair, an ex-cop who hosed up the Rob Ford investigation, lied to the media about "secret laws" giving his men arrest powers they didn't have (and then laughingly admitted it in a press conference when called about about this lie, saying it "made his job easier" to mislead the press) and oversaw the illegal detention and beatings of thousands of protesters. I'm sure once they've figured out exactly how to create a new Canada-style oligopoly with approximately two or three lovely over-priced choices for consumers to pick from they will get around to legalizing it.

This was certainly the plan, before we started tearing it apart in the courts and at the provincial level. :haw:

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 25, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What the gently caress is going on at the Star these days?

Air show too traumatic for newcomers who escaped war

Fighter jets and bombers screaming over the city pleases a small minority of fans at the expense of the everyone else

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2016/08/25/air-show-too-traumatic-for-newcomers-who-escaped-war.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"Old man yells at thing next to cloud"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Fighter jets and bombers screaming over the city pleases a small minority of fans at the expense of the everyone else

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2016/08/25/air-show-too-traumatic-for-newcomers-who-escaped-war.html

I can't tell if you're laughing at/mocking refugees with severe PTSD from being in a literal war or not.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I got hosed up by a dog once when I was a kid ban dog show thanks.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Like for serious I still have the scar.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Frosted Flake posted:

I can see their point with this one, I have to say.

Also, I'm not sure why military aviation is particularly celebrated over other sorts. Surely an airshow would be just as entertaining with Extra 300s doing crazy poo poo instead of CF-18s burning fuel at a furious pace. Planes are cool by themselves; they don't need to be able to drop bombs on things to be awesome.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't tell if you're laughing at/mocking refugees with severe PTSD from being in a literal war or not.

I hope we're mocking the NIMBY Torontonian harnessing the image of a bloodied 5 year old so that he can study for his poli sci PhD in peace.

quote:

For most Torontonians the Canadian International Air Show is, at best, a nuisance. I have yet to encounter a neighbour with an even remotely positive opinion of warplanes making low altitude passes for days on end. The organizers realize this. According to their website, “Like all (...) events such as auto races, walks, marathons, bicycle rides for charity [the air show] may be seen as disruptive by some while being anticipated and enjoyed by others. We understand that the noise generated (...) may be a concern.”

The air show is nothing like a charity bike ride. In a city with a large population of refugee newcomers and people who have experienced the trauma of war it is insulting, invasive, and violent.

Last week the world was presented with yet another heartbreaking image from Syria: 5-year-old Omran Daqneesh, sitting bloodied, covered in dust, and shell-shocked after being rescued from the wreckage of an airstrike. Witnessing his trauma is made all the more painful by our inability to help.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's the headline. Listen, it's great that we let them come here. OP PROVISION was a big success, and the local charities settling them are doing a great job.

Should we stop having Canada Day fireworks and the CNE Airshow? Nah.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

I got hosed up by a dog once when I was a kid ban dog show thanks.

I was going to call you out on a ridiculous analogy, but then I remembered how the air show is located inside a building that people can easily avoid while walking to get groceries.

I mean, if these were airborne vehicles that make very loud noises very near a densely populated city center, that would be a completely different story.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sliderule posted:

I was going to call you out on a ridiculous analogy, but then I remembered how the air show is located inside a building that people can easily avoid while walking to get groceries.

I mean, if these were airborne vehicles that make very loud noises very near a densely populated city center, that would be a completely different story.

So is the city of Toronto a safe space?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dog shows aren't just indoors.

Dog shows for annoying frumpy dog owners where people care about the shape of their nads and the color of their tongue are inside.

Dog shows for ones that do sick Frisbee tricks and herd sheep are usually outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sliderule posted:

....isn't this about military planes flying overhead? Not stationary planes in a building?