Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Lol Chaos just died though :rip:

Turn 129, haven't even finished all of Thorgrim's epic quests yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've never finished all of a LL's quests but Kholek, because he only had one.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
by the sounds of it Hellcannons should really act more like an angry steam tank rather than just having an unbreakable crew of evil gnomes. I guess then you'd have to tone down their ranged damage to compensate and they're chaos's only real ranged unit as it is but still

a berserker demon steam tank though

e: also I think the new DLC looks awesome! kinda worrying though that the new Lords get some crazy bonuses like vanguard/poison armies. I guess when Mannfred is one of the current choices you've gotta find a different way of making new characters stand out that doesn't involve being the best dual role caster/melee guy in the game. I kinda wish they'd make Kemmler worth using though (new guy Ghorst even gets a 'summon wight king' spell lolol)

Frankly fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 24, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deified Data posted:

I've never finished all of a LL's quests but Kholek, because he only had one.

I finished Karl Franz', but only as a victory lap. Though I guess it would be a good idea to try to rush Ghal-Maraz because that extra public order for all provinces is a great bonus.

Playing the Quest Battles from the Battles menu instead of the campaign is pretty fun, I'd add, since you have to make do with those setups instead of a tailored doomstack.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
How do i use slayers correctly? Aside from "don't"

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Frankly posted:

by the sounds of it Hellcannons they should really act more like an angry steam tank rather than just having an unbreakable crew of evil gnomes. I guess then you'd have to tone down their ranged damage to compensate and they're chaos's only real ranged unit as it is but still

a berserker demon steam tank though

Yeah, the unbreakable dwarf crew on the hell cannon is a really dumb way to implement that unit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

send them at cavalry and monsters and away from archers

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HiroProtagonist posted:

Keep them back, countercharge monsters, and use them to run down the occasional fleeing unit? :shrug: I'm playing through a Dwarf campaign right now and I'm not using them. Ironbreakers and Hammerers are more my thing.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Game's getting murdered in the Steam reviews. :(

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Hellcannons were the bane of my dwarf playthrough. Those fuckers outranged my cannons by just a bit, though it does occur to me that I had the cannons a bit behind my line.
The first time I saw them there were three and I had no slayers or gyrocopters in my army. I ended up have to rush my poor exhausted Dwarves at them at the end of the battle and it broke my heart to see the slaughter.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Krazyface posted:

It's because they're not giving away all their DLC for free.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deified Data posted:

It's because they're not giving away all their DLC for free.

Yeah, skimmed it and while I think the DLC is a bit overpriced, god drat are these some whiny babies.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I can understand disagreeing with the DLC policy and prices but it's really dumb to tank the main game's reviews because of it when it's very solid on it's own. But whatever, Steam reviews has always been awful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Krazyface posted:

It's stupid, because it's not as though the game is actually lacking for content without the DLC. Even the new units in the upcoming one are more about adding variety to the factions rather than plugging up obviously missing roles in the unit rosters.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kainser posted:

Yeah, the unbreakable dwarf crew on the hell cannon is a really dumb way to implement that unit.

I've said it before but Hellcannons would be 100% improved if you replaced the unbreakable trait with extra-high leadership, then when the Hellcannon crew breaks you swap the Hellcannon artillery with a Hellcannon chariot.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Triskelli posted:

I've said it before but Hellcannons would be 100% improved if you replaced the unbreakable trait with extra-high leadership, then when the Hellcannon crew breaks you swap the Hellcannon artillery with a Hellcannon chariot.

An uncommandable berserk Hellcannon chariot that will charge the nearest unit, friend or foe. :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NeurosisHead posted:

I wonder if they'll make Free Company recruitable with no recruitment buildings. Hybrid troops that aren't good at anything, but can recruited anywhere at any time for cheap and can vanguard deploy seems like something that's kind of balanced. It give the Empire something to do when they have no recruitment buildings, at least.

My guess is that they will add a new lower tier temple of sigmar in t2 for the fanatics. KotBS will probably require Reiksfort and t3 stables. Free Company I've got no clue where to fit that in, maybe tier 3 barracks like the handgunners but not require the gunsmith.

I don't know, I just don't see free company doing so hot. They can't shoot over their own troops like handgunners, yet they also don't have armor piercing. I feel like any sort of dedicated melee unit is probably going to eat them alive and any sort of ranged unit is going to outshoot them. Maybe if they could use their pistols in melee or on the charge 40k style they could be good mid-ranged mix up troops. Or they could be useful as a hard counter to low/no armor fast monsters like chaos hounds and bats or low morale stuff that you get parting shots on like goblins and ungors. They would be harder in a punch up than a typical ranged unit but if you run out to line up another charge they just shoot you in the rear end.

Part of me thinks they will just be Pistoliers without the horses though. :smith:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Where are the fukkin dragons in this game? I see dragons in the promo materials.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Where are the fukkin dragons in this game? I see dragons in the promo materials.
as mounts for undead and orc lords

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Baron Porkface posted:

Mannfred von Carstein can get one when he gets high enough level and so can generic Chaos lords

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's un-dwarfy but I'm beginning to think that the best line-up for early-game Dwarfs against the swarms of Orcs you'll be fighting is 6 shield & axe units, 4 Miners with Blasting Charges, 4 Thunderers, 4 Quarrelers, and a single siege weapon to aggro the enemy.

It's un-dwarfy in the sense that the Miners are there to die horribly by positioning them right out front to snare melee mobs and bomb them, and to bait cavalry charges since they don't have charge defence. Meanwhile, Thunderers and shield units are the real front-line, with the former shooting down enemy special characters or cavalry that rush ahead or get caught by the Miners and the latter to protect the Thunderers and bolster faltering Miners. The Quarrelers shoot the poo poo out of enemy ranged units and routers.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
DLC rage will never not be annoying. Vote with your wallet, it's easy. Meanwhile if I think that $17 for 20 hours worth of fun playing beastmen was worth it then I'll vote with mine.

On my 2nd play through of every faction, I have no idea how I tolerated playing against Marauder horsemen as Chaos because I had forgotten how annoying they are. Once I get the + speed buffs for my own how viable is it to charge them into melee with other maruader horsemen just to lock them down?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kainser posted:

I can understand disagreeing with the DLC policy and prices but it's really dumb to tank the main game's reviews because of it when it's very solid on it's own. But whatever, Steam reviews has always been awful.

Gamers are the whiniest most entitled assholes on earth, so it's no surprise really.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How else are you supposed to say "We like the game but high priced (Day 1) DLC is terrible" other than negative reviews? Most of the reviews even say "This game is fantastic, but the DLC prices suck".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How else are you supposed to say "We like the game but high priced (Day 1) DLC is terrible" other than negative reviews? Most of the reviews even say "This game is fantastic, but the DLC prices suck".

Review the DLC then, because it has its own separate review page.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For the record, this is what most people post on the DLC review pages:

quote:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tequila Sunrise posted:

The day 1 DLC was £6. Is that your whole pocket money or something?

E: in fact it was day 8, because you still got WoC free as a bonus for buying in the first week iirc

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fnordcircle posted:

DLC rage will never not be annoying. Vote with your wallet, it's easy. Meanwhile if I think that $17 for 20 hours worth of fun playing beastmen was worth it then I'll vote with mine.

Just the minotaurs were worth it. Now I'm gonna drop $7 for the Volkmar Clowncar and not regret it for one second.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
When I buy the DLCs, will I be able to use the DLC units/faction/lords when I play co-op with my friend who doesn't have it?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Little Bitch Man posted:

When I buy the DLCs, will I be able to use the DLC units/faction/lords when I play co-op with my friend who doesn't have it?

Yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Review the DLC then, because it has its own separate review page.

you have to own something to review it on steam

i think negative reviews in and of themselves are fine but just say 'the game is fine but i dislike the dlc prices,' raging anger or ascii middle fingers are lame

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cool, definitely getting this new one then. The price for it seems pretty drat reasonable to me.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

An uncommandable berserk Hellcannon chariot that will charge the nearest unit, friend or foe. :v:

I'm surprised it wasn't set up like the luminark in the first place tbh

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
"No Auto-Resolve" beastman VH campaign.

Having great success with Ungor Herds and Ungor Raiders in battles with that stalk and vanguard trait. Been positioning them with 4 Ungor Raiders and 2 ungor herds in front of them as a form of side shock line during placement. They've just been decimating the empire crossbowmen while my front line of mostly spearmen/minotaurs and gorebull just demolish from the front.. not sure if I'll even train centigors actually.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

As soon as I adopted the obnoxious lord-sniping, potion-toting, hero-heavy, bullshit air strategies frequently employed by my opponents in multiplayer quick match I started winning literally every game. The wins are hollow but I can't stop.

Help.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tequila Sunrise posted:

but the DLC is very decently priced for what it is?

It's not more expensive than previous CA DLC and it certainly has been much more unique and interesting.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Anyone else find themselves wanting a different dwarf starting position? Killing orcs all day every day is fun and all but after a while it gets a old.

Are there any cool LL's that are based somewhere else that they could introduce at some point?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Periphery posted:

Anyone else find themselves wanting a different dwarf starting position? Killing orcs all day every day is fun and all but after a while it gets a old.

Are there any cool LL's that are based somewhere else that they could introduce at some point?

Not really; considering that Dwarves and Orcs share the same region "type", they'll pretty much end up fighting each other all the time for territory. Once Skaven are in the game, you'll have another enemy type to kill en masse since they're the other underground race in the setting.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The whinging about the price of the Beastmen DLC was ludicrous, particularly on Reddit.

It'd be understandable if TW:W had felt like an incomplete release but it's one of the most polished releases CA have done and it's perfectly possible to sink hundreds of hours into the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

Not really; considering that Dwarves and Orcs share the same region "type", they'll pretty much end up fighting each other all the time for territory. Once Skaven are in the game, you'll have another enemy type to kill en masse since they're the other underground race in the setting.

I just find that at a certain point the whole "kill orcs take back your old city" thing becomes a cake walk and boring. Then by the time you've hosed the Orcs off you are such a powerhouse that everything else is a bit trivial.

I'd almost prefer to be in the mountains in between Bretonnia and the Empire with some more elaborate quests to resolve old grudges or some poo poo as a way to generate cash and force conflicts (as if you need an excuse to gently caress with Bretonnia).

Skaven could definitely spice the whole thing up a bit.

• Locked thread