Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
Ten week old puppy who loves to bite at my legs and feet or jumps up on them. I've tried yelping and it honestly encourages her to get more playful, it's nothing too painful in terms of biting, but she latches on and I'm honestly unsure what to do. For example, if we're outside she'll often go tinkle and poo, then she'll grab onto my leg and if I freeze she'll stop, but if I continue to move she'll come right after me. Should I be waiting longer before moving for her to lose interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Dude come on there are answers to that question on this page
E: previous page I guess but still

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 23, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

Dude come on there are answers to that question on this page
E: previous page I guess but still

no you must be the sullen and surly concierge of dogfacts. :catbert:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Divine Blob posted:

Ten week old puppy who loves to bite at my legs and feet or jumps up on them. I've tried yelping and it honestly encourages her to get more playful, it's nothing too painful in terms of biting, but she latches on and I'm honestly unsure what to do. For example, if we're outside she'll often go tinkle and poo, then she'll grab onto my leg and if I freeze she'll stop, but if I continue to move she'll come right after me. Should I be waiting longer before moving for her to lose interest?

Redirect her attention to a toy or something that she's allowed to bite on. Ideally, you want to learn to recognize when she's in that kind of mood and give her the toy before she actually starts biting you. It's not enough just to get them to stop, you need to provide them with an alternative behavior that they should engage in instead or they'll go right back to whatever they were doing before they stopped.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks for the tips about the Kong toys. I got 3 of them to rotate in and out and they're in the freezer now for later. Are pig ears ok to leave with the dog as well when going away? She doesn't try and swallow food whole.

I did leave her with a pig ear and a puzzle toy when I went to the gym and she wasn't howling when I left except a little yip or two. So I'm not sure if she heard one of my neighbors come home and thought it was me but when I came back when was howling a bit, just not sure if she was doing it the whole time or not. I have her signed up for obedience classes at the local petco starting next week so I'm hoping some formal training can help give her some confidence. We have a good sit command at the moment and an OK recall but more practice I'm sure.

Also I've been practicing leaving by getting ready and just sitting down to finish my work or project or whatever so she doesn't get too worked up about the leaving routine. I've also been low key getting ready to leave and not making a fuss or giving her too much attention as I leave and then giving her a treat that she can chew on as I leave but as I stated earlier she will watch me leave out the big front window and let out some yips, so I'm hoping the Kongs can occupy her more. I take her for a long walk up hilly areas before I leave in the morning for the gym.

Basically is there a good routine that I can use, or is it mostly just getting her used to me leaving at certain times in the day.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The person I live with has a poorly trained shitrat that is dog aggressive. Her idea of training is literally just hitting it with a fly swatter. I wish I were joking. Would it be immoral to allow my much larger, buff and handsome dog to kill it to teach her a lesson?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Carmant posted:

The person I live with has a poorly trained shitrat that is dog aggressive. Her idea of training is literally just hitting it with a fly swatter. I wish I were joking. Would it be immoral to allow my much larger, buff and handsome dog to kill it to teach her a lesson?

No

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Im obviously not actually going to do that (on purpose) because I do like the little guy.. hes very sweet with people, although his life is clearly a miserable existence full of fear. I'm just pissed because she will not listen to reason at all. SHe just keeps telling me that "I know from experience that hitting a dog works" and when I try to show her appropriate training resources she tells me that the internet is full of lies.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Carmant posted:

Im obviously not actually going to do that (on purpose) because I do like the little guy.. hes very sweet with people, although his life is clearly a miserable existence full of fear. I'm just pissed because she will not listen to reason at all. SHe just keeps telling me that "I know from experience that hitting a dog works" and when I try to show her appropriate training resources she tells me that the internet is full of lies.

What if you tried hitting her to correct her poor dog training behaviour?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
use a flyswatter or squirt bottle (on the owner)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
If you ever have anyone over ask them what they think about hitting a small dog with a flyswatter in front of her. :v: I know a lot of people still hit their dogs, but I don't think the general population approves of that as much as it is used to, probably less so with a small dog. PI might have ruined me though I don't know.

Also if hitting her dog "works", why does she need to keep hitting it?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
trying to get people to change the way they train their dogs is a losing game. don't waste your time or your breath, you'll just end up pissed off

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Update RE overexcited dog. She lunged at my face and hosed it up before I could get her under control today and I had to walk back to my car with blood all over face and clothes (and dog) while avoiding people so they wouldn't freak out. I realize this sounds comical in light of my earlier post critiquing a person's poorly trained dog. I can still see out of the eye she got thought so that's good...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Carmant posted:

Update RE overexcited dog. She lunged at my face and hosed it up before I could get her under control today and I had to walk back to my car with blood all over face and clothes (and dog) while avoiding people so they wouldn't freak out. I realize this sounds comical in light of my earlier post critiquing a person's poorly trained dog. I can still see out of the eye she got thought so that's good...

So uh what kind of dog ya got there?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Ikantski posted:

So uh what kind of dog ya got there?

Mutt from a shelter. Who knows.. most people say Husky. In my defense I've only had her a month and this behavior has only been happening for about a week.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Carmant posted:

Mutt from a shelter. Who knows.. most people say Husky. In my defense I've only had her a month and this behavior has only been happening for about a week.

im gonna try to be kind here buddy, biting faces is a bad thing. might need to take your drat face away from the dog until you can teach and maintain a bit of mouth control.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

SneakyFrog posted:

im gonna try to be kind here buddy, biting faces is a bad thing. might need to take your drat face away from the dog until you can teach and maintain a bit of mouth control.

So you're saying I need to get stilts? I don't know how to get my face any further away than standing erect. Tiptoes maybe?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
yeah probably don't wanna get on your roommates case about their training when your dog is biting you in the face... how bad did she get you? a couple days ago she wasn't even breaking the skin, was like a 'im gonna fuckin savage you' thing or a 'smacked you with her teeth and you started bleeding' thing?

either way it's probably time to hire a professional trainer duder

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Ausrotten posted:

yeah probably don't wanna get on your roommates case about their training when your dog is biting you in the face... how bad did she get you? a couple days ago she wasn't even breaking the skin, was like a 'im gonna fuckin savage you' thing or a 'smacked you with her teeth and you started bleeding' thing?

If the bite to the face was intentional I'd probably skip the trainer and go straight to returning the dog or euthing.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Ausrotten posted:

She didnt bite me in the face.. it was just teeth + velocity. It ended up being pretty bad but like I said, no permanent damage just a big gash. If she had been trying to bite me I would probably be in the hospital or something. Again.. this is a dog that has been here for all of a month from a shelter and her behavior is changing as she gets more comfortable, I don't think I can be held responsible for what she wasn't taught by whoever owned her before she ran away. A week ago she was basically just walking along normally, althoug she isn't perfect on a leash we are working and making good progress on that front. She's started doing this a few days ago, probably caused by changing our walking route to a place with a bit more sensory input, lots of people and other dogs. She is friendly with other dogs but it gets her super hyped up. It's a very short but intense episode and I still haven't worked out entirely what sets her off, it seems that it's just a lot of excitement adding up over the course of the walk. Most sources have told me that the best way to handle this is turning away and standing still, and that anything else will just add to the excitement. Of course this is a largeish dog and a jumper, and even when I stand stiff it takes her a few seconds to calm down and in that time she can potentially do some damage, like she did today.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
for the record i was kidding about not getting on your roommates case bc your dog 'bit' you. i've had the teeth + speed thing happen a number of times too, it sucks and is p embarrassing if other people see it. definitely not the end of the world but that happening is why i recommended you figure out how to hold on to her so she can't get at you. saying "oh just do nothing" is all fine and dandy until a good sized dog is leaping at you and screaming like a deranged grasshopper. avoid the situations she gets manic in until you can get a trainer to look at her, it sounds like she is way, way over stimulated and doesn't know how to deal without spazzing the gently caress out.

Engineer Lenk posted:

If the bite to the face was intentional I'd probably skip the trainer and go straight to returning the dog or euthing.

same but some people are weird about that

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Carmant posted:

Most sources have told me that the best way to handle this is turning away and standing still, and that anything else will just add to the excitement. Of course this is a largeish dog and a jumper, and even when I stand stiff it takes her a few seconds to calm down and in that time she can potentially do some damage, like she did today.
Step on the leash so she can't take off before you become a statue if you don't want to go the collar grab route.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do you have a brother in law you can dump the dog on for a few months?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Carmant posted:

Oof :( that is poo poo. If a dog made me bleed my own blood on my face I'm not sure what I'd do. I feel for you, chum.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

When my dog jumps up I catch her in the air and pick her up which totally confuses her, but she's only 35 lbs so I have no real advice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog who is still a puppy (1 year vizsla) occasionally gets excited and tries to jump up and give licks but he's made me bleed by accident which promted me to correct his jumping behavior. I used to turn away from him during a jump as to take away my attention. This worked when he was little but didn't completely remove his urge to jump. Then I remember the knee to the chest. When he jumps, I just stick my knee out and bump him in the chest to block him. That's been very successful and he doesn't jump much anymore. I would treat if he approaches and sits automatically so now he is starting to greet with a sit versus a jump. Also reinforcing acceptable mouthing behavior with chew toys is crucial.

He has caught me in the face a few times during play time though so I understand accidents but I've never felt that it was malicious or an intentional bite. That would honestly scare me, especially as a shelter dog who you may not know what issues it has. Intentional face biting is a pretty serious issue that could get you and your dog into a lot of trouble.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

This dog is a piece of poo poo. I loving hate it. The knee to the chest thing would probably legitimately hurt her given the velocity with which she lunges at me, and if I hurt her she might actually try to kill me or something.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Carmant posted:

This dog is a piece of poo poo. I loving hate it. The knee to the chest thing would probably legitimately hurt her given the velocity with which she lunges at me, and if I hurt her she might actually try to kill me or something.

Do you really think that if you kneed her she'd try and attack you? I'd say you're going to need a lot of help getting this dog into shape and that's more work than I'd be willing to put into a dog I'd had for one month.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Just take her back to the shelter dude

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

We've got plenty of no kill shelters around here and Im talking with them. Someone may have already found her a place. I've always heard just dumping them back in the shelter they came from would get them put down.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Tsyni posted:

Do you really think that if you kneed her she'd try and attack you? I'd say you're going to need a lot of help getting this dog into shape and that's more work than I'd be willing to put into a dog I'd had for one month.

Normally no not at all, but during one of her little hyperactive episodes I feel like something like that could prompt aggressive behavior. I'm no dog expert here though, every dog I have ever had before this has been a chill breed like a Great Dane/Cocker Spaniel/Lab

minema
May 31, 2011

Carmant posted:

We've got plenty of no kill shelters around here and Im talking with them. Someone may have already found her a place. I've always heard just dumping them back in the shelter they came from would get them put down.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, it sucks. It's good you're recognising you can't deal with her issues though, it'll be better for both of you in the long run. I've never heard of that happening, if it's an actual rescue they should take her back, if it's just a pound type place it might be different? It's worth ringing them and asking though.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

minema posted:

I'm sorry this has happened to you, it sucks. It's good you're recognising you can't deal with her issues though, it'll be better for both of you in the long run. I've never heard of that happening, if it's an actual rescue they should take her back, if it's just a pound type place it might be different? It's worth ringing them and asking though.

It was a county animal shelter. I'm sure they'd take her back, I've just heard they bump returned animals up to the top of the list to be euthanized and it's a small shelter with room for like 10 dogs max so she wouldn't last long.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Carmant posted:

It was a county animal shelter. I'm sure they'd take her back, I've just heard they bump returned animals up to the top of the list to be euthanized and it's a small shelter with room for like 10 dogs max so she wouldn't last long.

it's possible but it's a not sure thing by any means. We got Kas from the city animal shelter and were her 6th owners. but you should do whatever youre comfortable with and gently caress anyone who gives you poo poo about it. lifes too short to live with a dog you loving hate

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

She's staying here until I can get her into a no kill. I'm not worried about my safety or anything. I'm just not sure what to do with her in the meantime because the little episodes seem to be getting more frequent and longer lasting. She just straight up stopped and refused to walk after like 10 minutes this morning. She would keep trying to "play" and when I refused she'd plop down on the ground. It was a quiet neighborhood with no one around, no squirrels to chase, etc. so I don't know what that says about the overstimulation theory. I ended up having to pick her up and carry her back to the car.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dog showed food aggression. First time in her life. I've always taken things from her, given back, all that no problems. I think she was overstimulated. We were at a BBQ at my sister in law's with the other dogs and all the family. She was hyped up the whole time. She grabbed an eaten corn cob from the trash. I chased her down and grabbed it. She growled. I was taken aback. I went full in and took it from her mouth. She snapped at my finger, bit it, drew blood. I absorbed it, got right in her face.

I know modern dog training is "give your dog treats all the time and they'll have no choice but to be good", but I put her right on her back and pressed my face right into her eyes.

I got a baby coming in two months. She does any type of aggression again, I'm getting the shock collar and we are in full electrocution town.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
man this threads title never ceases to deliver

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Dog showed food aggression. First time in her life. I've always taken things from her, given back, all that no problems. I think she was overstimulated. We were at a BBQ at my sister in law's with the other dogs and all the family. She was hyped up the whole time. She grabbed an eaten corn cob from the trash. I chased her down and grabbed it. She growled. I was taken aback. I went full in and took it from her mouth. She snapped at my finger, bit it, drew blood. I absorbed it, got right in her face.

I know modern dog training is "give your dog treats all the time and they'll have no choice but to be good", but I put her right on her back and pressed my face right into her eyes.

I got a baby coming in two months. She does any type of aggression again, I'm getting the shock collar and we are in full electrocution town.

tell me about your hilarious graphic tshirt collection

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Look, I get it. You're worried about your baby. That's perfectly rational and I understand. Your dog sounds like it was overwhelmed with everything going on. Kids'll do that too.

So what I'm saying is, when you euth the dog because it's a dog, make sure you get a good gun for when you need to euth the kid for being a kid. And keep that shock collar handy for the interim for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
What kind of dog do you have? I'd love to help you find the most effective option for managing this horrible turn of events :(