Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sad Brains Moment:

What do you do when you realize that the only time you hear from your friends is when they want something. And when you need something they're nowhere to be found.

I just had that realization

This has been a Sad Brains Moment by Goober Peas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like you need better friends :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That sucks, at least my friends are just a bunch of worthless jackwagons.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha :wtc:

So a coworker wasn't feeling great yesterday and didn't show up to work this morning. Turns out he went to Emergency around 3:30 in the afternoon yesterday, got diagnosed with Appendicitis and admitted by 5, was going under the knife by 6:30 and out of the OR 7:30. Surgery was laparoscopic and was feeling good enough to be discharged by 11 and sleeping in his own bed last night. Came into the office later to fill out some paperwork for short term disability because he shouldn't be working for 2 weeks.

:canada:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Goober Peas posted:

Sad Brains Moment:

What do you do when you realize that the only time you hear from your friends is when they want something. And when you need something they're nowhere to be found.

Sucks dude :(

For once I actually have a decent set of friends, and it's a weird feeling. Military isn't conducive to solid friendships.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Sad Brains Moment:

When your a wrench for a living this is all your friends and women folks.

And why when I'm with my son playing Pokemon do I get hit on by girls way too young for me. I appreciate it but why now when my life is all catty wompass.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Who knows about bearings? I have one from a benchtop lathe that I need to replace, and the only marking I can see on it is HJ 104. Googling "hj 104 bearing" isn't turning anything up, and I can't find my calipers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

Who knows about bearings?

Slidebite is your dude.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bandman posted:

I read that and said "no fuckin way" and googled it for myself. There's definitely some Dorian Gray-type sorcery happening there.

He is also an accomplished horse rider (saddlebreds) and was still competing in shows a couple years ago.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Who knows about bearings? I have one from a benchtop lathe that I need to replace, and the only marking I can see on it is HJ 104. Googling "hj 104 bearing" isn't turning anything up, and I can't find my calipers.

Googling 104 should at least give you the bearing diameters. Then just find out what type of bearing it is (needle, spherical, cylinder, etc and sealed or not) and go from there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Googling 104 should at least give you the bearing diameters. Then just find out what type of bearing it is (needle, spherical, cylinder, etc and sealed or not) and go from there.

I found the calipers! 20mm ID 42mm OD 12mm wide. Totally not shielded spherical bearings. $18 on McMaster.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Spherical bearing? :raise:

That should be what everyone would call 6004 bearing, which is a conrad ball. If you want a sealed bearing throw a -2rs suffix on it.

Some lathes have very high precision bearings, but if it's just a table-top hobbiest lathe probably not anything super special especially with something that small.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just touched my girlfriend's bare leg with the surface of my gross torn open blister and the look of horror on her face was loving priceless.

I think I'm sleeping on the couch tonight.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Well your definitely not having awesome floor sex.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Got the car! (96 hyundai elantra). Tiny bit of rust on the fender, exhaust needs a weld, badly needs a can of seafoam, and runs out of gas about 1/16" above the E mark. Barely chugged and farted it into the gas station on the way home.

A full tank later, the thing was purring happily (if a bit throatily due to the exhaust) and I even managed to wiggle the lighter jack just so so that my phone could charge.

I think I'm in love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Probably not. The blister area actually stuck to her leg for a half second. It was gross and I was prepared to be punched.

PopeCrunch posted:

Got the car! (96 hyundai elantra). Tiny bit of rust on the fender, exhaust needs a weld, badly needs a can of seafoam, and runs out of gas about 1/16" above the E mark. Barely chugged and farted it into the gas station on the way home.

A full tank later, the thing was purring happily (if a bit throatily due to the exhaust) and I even managed to wiggle the lighter jack just so so that my phone could charge.

I think I'm in love.

Get thee to the PYR thread!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goober Peas posted:

Sad Brains Moment:

Learn to entertain yourself and live without them? It sucks, but there it is.

Find some hobbies that you can enjoy by yourself if you don't feel like going out alone. I build model ships personally, and read lots of books, and poo poo-post.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

Spherical bearing? :raise:

That should be what everyone would call 6004 bearing, which is a conrad ball. If you want a sealed bearing throw a -2rs suffix on it.

Some lathes have very high precision bearings, but if it's just a table-top hobbiest lathe probably not anything super special especially with something that small.

Sorry, spherical balls, not a roller bearing. No shields, but there's a cage around the balls.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that probably just a standard ball bearing unless it has a weird feature like an NR snap ring groove or filling slot... or possibly a 7004 thrust bearing which is pretty rare, but not impossible on a lathe. It would almost certainly need to be used in conjunction with another bearing as it would be thrust load carrying in 1 direction only.

I am not familiar with the HJ prefix off the top of my head, other than a caged needle bearing which that isn't.

A spherical bearing has a different meaning to bearing people even though balls are spheres, so if you go to a local bearing house without the old one as a sample, don't call it a spherical bearing.

If you can take a couple good photos of both sides of the bearing I can probably tell you conclusively what it is.

Also, unless you have a reason not to, just get a sealed bearing. It might even be cheaper because they're typically more common and it probably wouldn't hurt to keep the seals on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Haha why did he have to lose that custom title to the lovely comic ones.

Buying you titles is a waste because of BSS Rhyno :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Haha why did he have to lose that custom title to the lovely comic ones.

Buying you titles is a waste because of BSS Rhyno :colbert:

It's hard to keep track of who's jimmies are rustled in what forum. I should really mouth off in TV IV and see what that gets me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So my car has been throwing a code for the catalytic converter for... awhile. I barely managed to get it smogged last year - I reset the ECU, then drove it until all readiness monitors except the cat were showing ready - and the CEL came back on as I was leaving the inspection station. The CEL comes back on within ~30 minutes of clearing codes now, so I can't do that again.

Every cat I've been able to find specifically states "automatic only". I finally found the manual version on Rockauto (which seems to be a recent addition). Apparently the manual has two cats instead of one. :confused: The length of the entire assembly is the same, and the secondary O2 sensor is in the same place on both (it would be between the two cats on the manual version).

Won't lie, it's very tempting to just order the automatic version. It's a shitload cheaper, and it'll still turn off the CEL. And I need to smog the car in a few months. The secondary O2 sensor is fairly visible from under the hood (since both the cat and sensor are in the downpipe), so fooling the ECU with a spacer may backfire if the inspector actually bothers to look. Plus I'd rather keep a functional cat on it.

Damnit. It's expensive to do it the right way.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

So my car has been throwing a code for the catalytic converter for... awhile. I barely managed to get it smogged last year - I reset the ECU, then drove it until all readiness monitors except the cat were showing ready - and the CEL came back on as I was leaving the inspection station. The CEL comes back on within ~30 minutes of clearing codes now, so I can't do that again.

Every cat I've been able to find specifically states "automatic only". I finally found the manual version on Rockauto (which seems to be a recent addition). Apparently the manual has two cats instead of one. :confused: The length of the entire assembly is the same, and the secondary O2 sensor is in the same place on both (it would be between the two cats on the manual version).

Won't lie, it's very tempting to just order the automatic version. It's a shitload cheaper, and it'll still turn off the CEL. And I need to smog the car in a few months. The secondary O2 sensor is fairly visible from under the hood (since both the cat and sensor are in the downpipe), so fooling the ECU with a spacer may backfire if the inspector actually bothers to look. Plus I'd rather keep a functional cat on it.

Will the auto version run into anything? realistically it does the same job either way so if it's not going to hit any thing I'd just do that. Doublecheck the flanges are the same though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bend posted:

Will the auto version run into anything? realistically it does the same job either way so if it's not going to hit any thing I'd just do that. Doublecheck the flanges are the same though.
I'm pretty sure fit is why they have manual and auto version of cats.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Does your smog test check tailpipe emissions or just obd monitors?

bend
Dec 31, 2012

nm posted:

I'm pretty sure fit is why they have manual and auto version of cats.

Maybe, I know I can buy a manual and auto cat for my fiances car, both fit just fine. The auto is shorter and has more pipe aft of it before it reaches the flange but I've got a manual cat in there at the moment with no problem. Not sure why the difference the manual is a little cheaper and looks like it should flow better (no abrupt transitions between the cat and pipe, nice and gradual with a low angle) that's a bout it as far as I can tell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

Does your smog test check tailpipe emissions or just obd monitors?

Only monitors if it's OBD2, plus a visual and safety. The visual ranges from "I see an engine under the hood" to "I'm going to crawl around under the car looking for a reason to fail this jackass" - so long as it's stock (or at least appears stock), it's usually a "yup, there's an engine there" unless you run into someone fresh out of inspector training. The car is bone stock, and will remain that way unless the 2.0 s/c version of the engine falls into my lap for dirt cheap, complete with harness and ECU.

bend posted:

Going by photos on both Rockauto and Davico's websites, the flanges should be the same. I don't see why they wouldn't be, it's the same engine, and the same cat-back systems fit the car regardless of transmission. Davico seems to be the only third party that manufactures a direct-fit downpipe+cat for the manual version.

The exhaust manifold is on the firewall side of the engine; the manifold and downpipe don't go anywhere near the transmission, so it's not a fitment issue. Going by pictures, the only difference seems to be a second, much smaller cat.

Auto version:

Manual version:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 25, 2016

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I'd just put the auto on then if I were you, do you know if anyone else has done it? might be worth a look on an enthusiast forum just to see if you can confirm it fits and works before you pay.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's the way I'm leaning. I'm almost positive that it'll bolt up just fine, and I know just from pictures of the auto version (and comparing it to mine) that the secondary O2 sensor is in the same place.

They really didn't make many of these cars with a manual outside of the Red Line edition (Tusen Takk has the Red Line - same car, but has a supercharged 2.0 with a beefier gearbox vs my n/a 2.2 - ~60 hp difference). The only enthusiast forums are Saturn forums, and this car is largely seen as a Cobalt (which, well, it is... it's basically a Cobalt with plastic body panels and a Saturn logo).

I honestly don't understand why the manual version gets an extra cat. :iiam:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Adiabatic posted:

Oh my god this is amazing as gently caress oh my god

Oh my god

Nice boat

bend
Dec 31, 2012

That's the way I'm leaning. I'm almost positive that it'll bolt up just fine, and I know just from pictures of the auto version (and comparing it to mine) that the secondary O2 sensor is in the same place.

They really didn't make many of these cars with a manual outside of the Red Line edition (Tusen Takk has the Red Line - same car, but has a supercharged 2.0 with a beefier gearbox vs my n/a 2.2 - ~60 hp difference). The only enthusiast forums are Saturn forums, and this car is largely seen as a Cobalt (which, well, it is... it's basically a Cobalt with plastic body panels and a Saturn logo).

I honestly don't understand why the manual version gets an extra cat. :iiam:

Carryover from an earlier model or design stage maybe?If there was something in the way on the original plans for the auto that got changed later it may have been left.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Locator posted:

Learn to entertain yourself and live without them? It sucks, but there it is.

Find some hobbies that you can enjoy by yourself if you don't feel like going out alone. I build model ships personally, and read lots of books, and poo poo-post.

It doesn't suck at all?

Do poo poo by yourself and have fun with it and, shocker, people will want to be around you because you're doing cool stuff instead of complaining about your problems

:aaaaa:

I've been trying to tell you dumbasses this for like months. I will not give up on you sadbrains god damnit.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Yup. I go out alone all the time. Nothing wrong with going to shows or bars. I just find people to talk to. Better than sitting in alone when nobody wants to hang out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that probably just a standard ball bearing unless it has a weird feature like an NR snap ring groove or filling slot... or possibly a 7004 thrust bearing which is pretty rare, but not impossible on a lathe. It would almost certainly need to be used in conjunction with another bearing as it would be thrust load carrying in 1 direction only.

I am not familiar with the HJ prefix off the top of my head, other than a caged needle bearing which that isn't.

A spherical bearing has a different meaning to bearing people even though balls are spheres, so if you go to a local bearing house without the old one as a sample, don't call it a spherical bearing.

If you can take a couple good photos of both sides of the bearing I can probably tell you conclusively what it is.

Also, unless you have a reason not to, just get a sealed bearing. It might even be cheaper because they're typically more common and it probably wouldn't hurt to keep the seals on it.

These are the bearings in question. One of them is good, the other's right hosed. You can just barely make out HJ 104 on the right bearing. The left is its twin (also HJ 104), but I've flipped it face down in case that reveals anything interesting.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So Mazda just gave the green light for the RX-9 for 2020?

I don't understand this at all, after Mazda came out and basically said "we're too high class to sell a Mazdaspeed 3/6."

Too highbrow for a relatively straightforward turbo performance hatch or sedan, but somehow a two seater with a temperamental engine that 85% of the car buying public won't run or maintain properly slots into their "we want to be the next Lexus/Infiniti" roadmap.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

A few years back I replaced the stock down pipe on my cobalt SS/TC with a high flow single cat model. No matter what I did it would throw a CEL. I wound up using my copy of HP tuners to delete the codes from the ECU and never had a problem after that. Not sure if that would help you if they are looking at readiness monitors but it worked for me. This was in VA for reference. It's probably not cheaper unless you know someone with a copy, then it's like $50 for the credits to unlock.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Safety Dance posted:

These are the bearings in question. One of them is good, the other's right hosed. You can just barely make out HJ 104 on the right bearing. The left is its twin (also HJ 104), but I've flipped it face down in case that reveals anything interesting.

bog standard ball bearings, get you a decent quality 6004 and carry on

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

It doesn't suck at all?

Do poo poo by yourself and have fun with it and, shocker, people will want to be around you because you're doing cool stuff instead of complaining about your problems

:aaaaa:

I've been trying to tell you dumbasses this for like months. I will not give up on you sadbrains god damnit.

Except that I don't have 'sadbrains' at all? I'm pretty happy with my life. The 'it sucks' part is just that every once in a while it would be nice to have someone (who doesn't live a billion miles away) to do stuff with that doesn't only ever call you when they want something.

UnkleBoB posted:

Yup. I go out alone all the time. Nothing wrong with going to shows or bars. I just find people to talk to. Better than sitting in alone when nobody wants to hang out.

That's great if you enjoy that, it just so happens that I really don't enjoy going to shows or bars alone, so I only very rarely do that. I enjoy my modeling and reading, neither of which are really very 'social'.

Some of us are just hermits, and are pretty ok with that most of the time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Locator posted:

Except that I don't have 'sadbrains' at all? I'm pretty happy with my life. The 'it sucks' part is just that every once in a while it would be nice to have someone (who doesn't live a billion miles away) to do stuff with that doesn't only ever call you when they want something.

That's great if you enjoy that, it just so happens that I really don't enjoy going to shows or bars alone, so I only very rarely do that. I enjoy my modeling and reading, neither of which are really very 'social'.

Some of us are just hermits, and are pretty ok with that most of the time.

Have you considered not being depressed or sad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yeah what he said but unironically

• Locked thread