Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
So why is everyone raggin on Handicraft and Enchanting? I maxed both and was able to craft a full set of the Righteous Path heavy armor and enchant it with +16% Two handed damage on my ring/boots/gloves and +11 Heavy armor skill on my chest piece. Then upgrade the armor to exquisite so I have like 111 armor on my chest piece alone. Mind you, armor doesn't seem to do poo poo against higher level enemies. Glad I went down the thaumaturge route for Well of Life. Makes it so melee characters can actually work without having to range cheese through the whole game.

The stuff I crafted is miles better than anything that I've found in the game up to level 40. The set armors are all atrociously bad, and have enchantments spread out seemingly randomly. A few more stamina points/health points makes literally no difference in the late game. Only raw damage output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The set items were a huge disappointment. Given the amazing armour mods they could have gotten permission to use from Nexus it's weird they went with their own half-arsed badly clipping mishmashes. If you pick heavy armour for the Order gear do you get a set of the badass looking armour they're all wearing? I picked light armour and got a loving city guard's outfit.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If you pick heavy armour for the Order gear do you get a set of the badass looking armour they're all wearing? I picked light armour and got a loving city guard's outfit.

Yes, you do.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I'm playing around with enchanting a bit to see how it works out. Currently trying to sell enchanted items to afford the skill books to increase my enchanting.

Results so far: at 15 enchanting, I can combine a steel sword with a petty soul gem to make a sword that has 6 charges of "drain 4 health", which sells for 206 gold. At 40 enchanting, I can combine the exact same materials to make the exact same sword, except it now has 7 charges and sells for 154 gold. Having higher enchanting seems to decrease the base value of enchanted items.

EDIT: I found the benefit. It's charges. Enchanting 15 -> 40 makes the petty steel sword go from 6 charges to 7. No change in strength of the effect, and a decrease in item cost, but there is some benefit.

@15: Rune greatsword + grand soul gem = absorb health 4pts (72 charges, value 778).
@40: Rune greatsword + grand soul gem = absorb health 4pts (94 charges, value 698).

On the other hand, for things that don't have charges...
@15: blue silk robe + grand soul gem = 8% fortify elementarism (value 1036).
@40: blue silk robe + grand soul gem = 8% fortify elementarism (value 804).

Gonna keep investigating.

Emy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 24, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Emy posted:

I'm playing around with enchanting a bit to see how it works out. Currently trying to sell enchanted items to afford the skill books to increase my enchanting.

Results so far: at 15 enchanting, I can combine a steel sword with a petty soul gem to make a sword that has 7 charges of "drain 4 health", which sells for 206 gold. At 40 enchanting, I can combine the exact same materials to make the exact same sword, except it now sells for 154 gold. Having higher enchanting seems to decrease the base value of enchanted items.

what the hell is wrong with alchemy and enchanting in this mod

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Zereth posted:

what the hell is wrong with alchemy and enchanting in this mod

Good news! Thanks to the console, I have figured out that there is actually an increase in magnitude eventually.

@99: Rune greatsword + grand soul gem = absorb health 4pts (176 charges, value 578).
@100: Rune greatsword + grand soul gem = absorb health 5pts (178 charges, value 578).

@100: Blue silk robe + grand soul gem = fortify elementarism 10% (value 456).

The different enchantments have different break points, presumably where the rounding is enough to take it up to the next number. Sneak, for example, goes from 7% to 8% somewhere in the 70-80 range. 100 enchanting makes things that were at 4, like absorb health, go up to 5. 7%s like fortify archery and fortify sneak are increased to 8%. 8%s, like fortify elementarism, go to 10%. Things that start at 10 or 10% like mana, mana regen, stamina, two-handed, go to 12 or 12%. Fortify carry weight goes from 15 to 18, so don't disenchant that amulet of nimble-footedness (+30 weight) unless you want to spend multiple slots making up for its effect. The enchanting potions seem to function as expected. A rancid 7% enchanting potion (stronger ones seem to not exist, and I've not yet delved into alchemy) with 100 enchanting kicks the sneak enchant up from 8% to 9%.

So then, the overall effect of 15 -> 100 enchanting is approximately something like this: 1.2x enchantment strength, just under 2.5x charges, the gold value an enchantment adds to an item... looks to vary based on item, around 0.7x for that rune greatsword, to 0.4x for the blue silk robe. Maybe it's intended to make enchanted items cheaper for you to buy? Who knows.

And of course, to the best of my knowledge there are no enchanting perks, as "enchanting is not subject to a memory." With all that in mind I think it's time to go back to my main save and throw all my enchanting books in the loving garbage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Emy posted:

And of course, to the best of my knowledge there are no enchanting perks, as "enchanting is not subject to a memory." With all that in mind I think it's time to go back to my main save and throw all my enchanting books in the loving garbage.
There's one on the left side of Mentalism/Light that claims "Enchanted items are 30% stronger". Assuming it means ones you make, it sounds like that still wouldn't beat most things you can just find around.

EDIT: Oh god I just noticed you were using grand souls in this poo poo. So, with maximum enchanting, the perk, the only buff potion to be found, and the best possible soul, you might be able to just barely beat the 12% cheaper elementalism gauntlets I just found lying on the ground somewhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So when will someone uncover how useless Rhetoric and Handicraft are? Seem the only crafting skills that aren't proven to be poo poo yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mega64 posted:

So when will someone uncover how useless Rhetoric and Handicraft are? Seem the only crafting skills that aren't proven to be poo poo yet.

Handicraft is good for weapons and ONLY weapons. Rhetoric has a very obvious effect on buying and selling prices, which is incredibly important in this game where raising skills costs a shitload of money. They're probably the two most obviously solid crafting skills.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Got really burnt out on Skyrim/Beth gameplay in general but I'm considering picking this up. How are the difficulty levels? In Skyrim I put it at max from the start and it made combat really stupid/impossible (starting wolves one shotted you for a long time) but it was fun figuring out how to exploit around that. It sounds like this mod is a lot more serious from the get go though, would playing at max difficulty be a bad idea?
Is stealth as viable as in vanilla? It was fun playing a sneak mage that could one shot backstab most bosses and clear normal mobs with fear and summons while sitting undetectable in a corner.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Rhetoric helps with buying/selling prices, and gives you dialogue options for better/easier rewards.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

Handicraft is good for weapons and ONLY weapons. Rhetoric has a very obvious effect on buying and selling prices, which is incredibly important in this game where raising skills costs a shitload of money. They're probably the two most obviously solid crafting skills.
Some lockpicking is useful if you don't want to throw dozens of picks at harder locks.

DisDisDis posted:

Is stealth as viable as in vanilla? It was fun playing a sneak mage that could one shot backstab most bosses and clear normal mobs with fear and summons while sitting undetectable in a corner.
There's a perk in the tree about the summoning and fear/control type skills that makes your spells silent. Even without that I've been lightning sniping entire groups of bandits without them figuring out where I am if I'm far enough away.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

DisDisDis posted:

Got really burnt out on Skyrim/Beth gameplay in general but I'm considering picking this up. How are the difficulty levels? In Skyrim I put it at max from the start and it made combat really stupid/impossible (starting wolves one shotted you for a long time) but it was fun figuring out how to exploit around that. It sounds like this mod is a lot more serious from the get go though, would playing at max difficulty be a bad idea?

In general it's not harder than Skyrim, but everything does a LOT more damage and you're REALLY weak at the beginning. You can't eat very many hits to the face in this, but neither can the stuff you're fighting. Destruction spells are WAY stronger than Skyrim's, so you can go pure mage and be fine. The flipside is enemy mages will wreck yo poo poo fast.

Stealth is very viable but it seems to take a higher skill level and/or a good amount of perks to be able to sneak close enough to backstab. Stealth archery is viable right out of the gate. The Bound bow you summon via the Summon Mystic Bow spell uses vanilla Skyrim summoned arrows instead of the Nehrim modified arrows and is stupid broken strong because of it, so combining that with stealth and the early 2.5x sneak archery perk makes most of the early game hilariously easy. I'm level 24 right now and that tactic is still strong as hell

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Found my first dragon they are way stronger than their Skyrim counterparts

I won by parking frost hazards under it and hiding behind pillars from its fire

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Ugh this fuckin' divide and conquer quest

I'm kinda digging the dungeoneering, especially now that I've got cool spellz, but I'm just so annoyed by the writing in this game. I'd rather not have these things brought up if you're going to handle them all so badly.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

MrTheDevious posted:

In general it's not harder than Skyrim, but everything does a LOT more damage and you're REALLY weak at the beginning. You can't eat very many hits to the face in this, but neither can the stuff you're fighting.

thats not my experience with melee weapons at all. I find that I really got to wail on things to an absurd degree to kill things where as in the base game a power attack or two will do basic poo poo in. I always play on normal and with sperg though, maybe its better than legendary enemies.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Two questions, whats the level cap or softcap and where might be strongest enemies be found? after spending a long while doing stuff in Ark and gearing up I destroyed everything in the desert and got multiple levels per dungeon, sorta wonder if I peaked or if the desert wasn't quite the top.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 25, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Two questions, whats the level cap or softcap and where might be strongest enemies be found? after spending a long while doing stuff in Ark and gearing up I destroyed everything in the desert and got multiple levels per dungeon, sorta wonder if I peaked or if the desert wasn't quite the top.

Hardest things I've fought so far are Starling Centurions in a hidden downed spaceship in the northern glacier/highlands (me) with 550 armor, they still one shot me in melee at level 42 (I have Well of Life though, so I could literally kill anything in the game now without worry of death, since it brings you back to life every time you would die from a hit. Says it brings you back with 50% hp, but I think it's bugged to be a solid number value of HP, because I always come back with 100% health).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

English patch 1.1.2.4 released. This seems to be the first big non-"localization only" patch.

quote:

Added missing Kkywords to spells (respectively to their MagicEffects). The missing of the keywords caused that some perks had no effect with/on the spells. Following spells fixed: all rune spells, all summoning spells, all light magic spells, all mentalism spells, " Ice Spike", "Winter Skin", "flame Cloak", "Lightning Cowl"
:psyduck:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Oh, that's what's wrong with alchemy and enchanting: the mod just straight up isn't finished. :staredog:

And that explains why Ice Spike was doing terrible damage when I had to switch off lightning bolt to fight some lightning immune things.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Is the rhetoric option at the end of Divide and Conquer supposed to do anything?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Zereth posted:

... Oh, that's what's wrong with alchemy and enchanting: the mod just straight up isn't finished. :staredog:

And that explains why Ice Spike was doing terrible damage when I had to switch off lightning bolt to fight some lightning immune things.

I've played for like 30 minutes but from what I've read I sort of feel like I might get a better experience if i give it a few more months to cook, as long as they keep actively fixing/improving things.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!
Turns out there is actually something that requires 80 Handicraft to make, the Mages Backpack which increases carrying capacity by 90.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok, so I'm now utterly convinced this mod's story came from the desire to write two more endings to Mass Effect 3.

At the end of the game you are given the choice of either fleeing to guide humanity like a god in the new Cycle (which doesn't seem like a good idea if you remember the Aged Man's story) , or destroying the obvious Totally Not A Reaper Superweapon you were building like some kind of idiot to give the rest of humanity a chance to survive and do things right, but blowing up Enderal in the process.

Besides being completely contrived and a massive rant against.... something, I'm not sure what, the story is bad and I essentially called pretty much all the twists aside from the literal Deus Ex Machina-girl just going around doing her thing.

It is presented badly, because it tells itself via a bunch of unskippable scripted events and cutscenes. It gives no real reason for why stuff keeps repeating itself over millions of years almost verbatim except The Reapers did it or possibly fate, despite ostensibly removing fate in the last game. It has a lot of interesting things you wouldn't see in many other games, mainly a mostly depressive story pointing to a proper folly of man... except the folly is told in such a flat and uninteresting or just improbable way you don't give a poo poo about it at the end. Again, it might have something to do with being translated from German, but you really don't get the impression that the people you interact with through the story are human beings. It might be a problem with the engine being unable to convey a lot of movement and emotion as well, but that's just speculation.

As I stated before, it seems to have a massive hate-on for atheism, or some kind of strawman of new atheists, to the point a nation that just went through a violent revolution to overthrow a theocracy then invades another theocracy because of... reasons? Like they've barely conquered their own lands and now they're somehow set up to take over the entire continent. This all turns out to be not because their leader thinks that this is a good idea but because apparently his daddy is your commander and he is apparently a half-lightborn (god) from a secret liason between your commander and a goddess that his father wanted to cover up, so he sent the child away. This makes the child hate the gods because that's how that works I guess. Or possibly if he had his father's guidance he wouldn't have been a massive douche, but given what we know of the commander I find that improbable too. .

We are never really told what the "Daddy" in your dreams is, even at the massive plotdump at the end of the game, presented by a giant machine that looks a LOT like the baby reaper from Mass Effect 2 . Maybe he's just your subconscious self-loathing? Or possibly he's the same thing that the Butcher of Ark saw or something like that in his final volumes. I don't know, since I never found all of those books though I presume it to be left ambiguous. Or the game just sucks at storytelling, again. The books meanwhile are usually quite good at worldbuilding, to the point I'd compare some of them to Morrowind tomes, but it doesn't matter since I can't get invested in this world as I would that one since it is so haphazardly put together due to the nature of giant mods such as these.

As for the main story missions themselves, they are fine for the most part, but bugs in both combat and scripts, longwinded speeches pausing your action and terrible balance means things like the Starling centurions mentioned before are basically the hardest enemies in the game. Not because they have any cool abilities, but because they can soak more damage than most other enemies and hit like a truck. Even the final enemies of the game weren't all that hard compared to them. Dragons are tough, but easily cheesed. There's also a few missions I'd cut just to not make the game feel like such a massive slog, like the pointless gathering quests for the airship that did nothing to further the story but took forever to complete because they were boring walks through a desert into caves with more damage sponge enemies.

Also, since gold pennies are so important in this game, you spend an inordinate amount of time just hoarding it and selling stuff at stores to buy more books. Which isn't interesting, just busywork. Sometimes that's ok, but it takes way too long here what with the loading times in Ark and the sluggish interface and the stores you have to visit at certain hours of the time.

Again, the work put into this mod is phenomenal in terms of amount of content and the attention to detail, it is just too bad the story doesn't hold it all up as it should. There are interesting story points and people have proper arcs and so on, but it all just comes off really clumsy and I blame the engine and overambitious plans. Supposedly that has a lot to do with people leaving the project, but I can't say for sure.

If you liked Gothic games, you might like this, but after taking a break to finish Deus Ex Mankind etc, I'd rather play that any day of the week despite my issues with that game.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Max difficulty trip report: It's actually way more sensible at level one. Everything can still one hit kill you but I actually managed to kill a cave troll by standing in a river and shooting it with arrows (in skyrim you just wouldn't have the damage to kill it.) Despite putting every single level up into mana there are even some things that don't ohko me. I'm doing the gallery owner's quest to go to the dark lands as my first quest after reaching Ark and it's a ton of fun spelunking to get around impossible enemies and... spamming Summon Ancestor while hiding to kill things. I've noticed a bunch of invisible walls on terrain where Skyrim had none, which is disappointing.

I like where stealth is so far. It still has massive utility but doesn't engage blind idiot mode on all enemies as soon as you crouch, and it feels like a defining part of your character since you can't auto train it by crouching everywhere.

How's dual casting in this game? The same as vanilla or actually worth it? I hope so because I took it and have a couple hours of progress after the fact.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 26, 2016

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would be interested to hear what mods people been using, I've just done quick loot, quick light and quick mining, just minor things to speed up the time wasting parts or the light mod so I don't get munched holding a torch or have to fight via name tags in pitch black

Still just testing to making sure nothing is game breaking.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Max difficulty trip report: It's actually way more sensible at level one. Everything can still one hit kill you but I actually managed to kill a cave troll by standing in a river and shooting it with arrows (in skyrim you just wouldn't have the damage to kill it.) Despite putting every single level up into mana there are even some things that don't ohko me. I'm doing the gallery owner's quest to go to the dark lands as my first quest after reaching Ark and it's a ton of fun spelunking to get around impossible enemies and... spamming Summon Ancestor while hiding to kill things. I've noticed a bunch of invisible walls on terrain where Skyrim had none, which is disappointing.

I like where stealth is so far. It still has massive utility but doesn't engage blind idiot mode on all enemies as soon as you crouch, and it feels like a defining part of your character since you can't auto train it by crouching everywhere.

How's dual casting in this game? The same as vanilla or actually worth it? I hope so because I took it and have a couple hours of progress after the fact.

Dualcasting works wonders with destruction magic which is pretty crazy as is anyway.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So, without reading anything else in the thread.... I just started this mod and am.... eh.... a couple of hours in. It seems well done so far, but also very, very slow paced. I dunno, maybe I'm just getting older and am much less patient with my entertainment, but the game is kind of boring me thus far. I don't think it's bad, just having a hard time holding my interest. I am simply wondering, does it get more compelling, or kinda hold to this pacing? I don't know if I can maintain my attention as-is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Backhand posted:

So, without reading anything else in the thread.... I just started this mod and am.... eh.... a couple of hours in. It seems well done so far, but also very, very slow paced. I dunno, maybe I'm just getting older and am much less patient with my entertainment, but the game is kind of boring me thus far. I don't think it's bad, just having a hard time holding my interest. I am simply wondering, does it get more compelling, or kinda hold to this pacing? I don't know if I can maintain my attention as-is.

After the third time the game goes 'your dead, lol j/k' it opens up, but the lack of fast travel will mean you end up doing a LOT of walking. The bugginess and memory leaks ensure that you'll crash semi frequently while travelling, so save often. I"m making it sound worse than it really is, but it's all true. Enderal has some great design, but I won't accuse it of having great programming.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

There's a pair of mods on Nexus that re-enable fast travel and waiting. I would've quit an hour in without them. I hate tedious "realism" junk like that

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

There's a pair of mods on Nexus that re-enable fast travel and waiting. I would've quit an hour in without them. I hate tedious "realism" junk like that

oh snap. I can sort of deal with the lack of fast travel, but removing waiting is pure assholery. I need to get me some of that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine waiting was removed so people don't just wait 1 hour between every battle to full heal and instead have to bring food and drink.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I imagine waiting was removed so people don't just wait 1 hour between every battle to full heal and instead have to bring food and drink.

That's fine, but then they were total assholes and put in "wait till tomorrow" or "this can only be done at midnight" quests.

Also, I just installed a mod that provides no-heal waiting, so there was definitely a way to do this without being a total jerk. My beef with enderal (other than the lack of stability) is how many anti-player decisions seem to be hanging out in it.

e: At least there are no cliffracers.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 27, 2016

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
As a counterpoint, I'm quite enjoying the fast travel systems in Enderal. Sure, some areas are hard to get to but they're remote, inhospitable areas that you don't have to go to more than once (my ~immersion~:allears:). For anything common, there's a whole pile of methods of getting around fast.

Want to offload loot? Use a cheap teleport to Ark scroll then use the signposts to get to the cells with shops in.
Weren't finished looting that cave? Make sure you drop a Mark before heading to the city and you can Recall right back there.
Quest sending you somewhere new? Take a Myrad to the nearest tower then summon your horse!

Need to get deep in the Undercity/up a cliff/way off in a corner of the map? Ok...yeah, you're hoofing it along paths for those. Honestly, you rarely have to repeat a long trek, the map's not that big so it won't take more than 5 minutes if you stay on track and you certainly don't have to take the hard way back.

I wonder if those of you who hate Enderal travel are using the horse? It's cheap (free with an easy quest), seems hard to kill and you can summon it on top of you instantaneously for free anywhere outside by eating a respawning flute(my ~immersion~:gonk:). Sprint to get past hostiles on the paths and you're golden, it's not useless like Skyrim horses are!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

:negative:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
When I went to do the painter lady quest I for some reason assumed that you couldn't use the fast travel points until you got there on foot and since I had a lot of fun hoofing it over there I've since been playing with that restriction. I've been rediscovering one of the few things I love about gamebryo which is the completely silly slope physics that let you climb anywhere. I discovered you can get up slopes too steep to walk up by going backwards and wiggling your mouse back and forth and since then I've been exploring all over the place. Just got coronated and now that I have my nice looking robes I'm loving off to the desert because screw being the chosen one. I just wanna be a shmuck who does odd jobs in an rpg for once. Between mark and recall, the teleport scrolls for various destinations and the towers the fast travel situation doesn't seem too bad to me. Especially since this is skyrim so once you get a horse you can just climb straight up any vertical surface.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Man, I'm glad I gave up after never being able to find the chest piece.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
With the recent patch: I seem to permanently gain 11 sneak skill every time I use ghostwalk. Not sure how they managed that one.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ha I found that too. Somebody entered 1 instead of 10 into one of the records. Here's my fix

http://www.filedropper.com/selnasetfix

vvv No worries! I was going to put it on the Nexus but the insane amount of form crap you have to fill out first.. :effort:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

Ha I found that too. Somebody entered 1 instead of 10 into one of the records. Here's my fix

http://www.filedropper.com/selnasetfix

Oh my goodness!! That's extremely kind of you to share!

• Locked thread