Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Thiel is also a literal vampire. I mean gently caress I know some of you are contrarian but think for one god damned second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

They were the only ones to show it in its entirety. The racist part is possibly newsworthy, everything else, not so much.

the racist bit was never seen by Gawker until the trial and never made it into the article that started this

the FBI did an investigation into the tape years ago, and got the full tapes.

Gawker sued the FBI during discovery and got their records including the full tape.

then a few days later, the sealed evidence started circulating through the media. :iiam:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MC Nietzche posted:

Thiel is also a literal vampire. I mean gently caress I know some of you are contrarian but think for one god damned second.

i agree, legal judgements should be based in how distateful the litigants are

the free speech amendments remind me of bitcoiners in this case, everyone swears theres some huge earthshattering precedents being set and everything is changing but i can't help but think that everyone involved is a moron rear end in a top hat and nobody's right

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the free speech amendments remind me of bitcoiners in this case, everyone swears theres some huge earthshattering precedents being set and everything is changing but i can't help but think that everyone involved is a moron rear end in a top hat and nobody's right

You could have just posted this, it would have had the same meaning.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

MC Nietzche posted:

And the Neonazis in this case were fuckheads but they were entitled to dress up in their Nazi uniforms and goosestep, as the US Supreme Court decided. Just because the party that wins a case is abhorrent doesn't mean that the ruling is flawed.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

ThirdPartyView posted:

And the Neonazis in this case were fuckheads but they were entitled to dress up in their Nazi uniforms and goosestep, as the US Supreme Court decided. Just because the party that wins a case is abhorrent doesn't mean that the ruling is flawed.

Yeah I can disagree with the Supreme Court about that one too. Just because a ruling was made doesn't make the ruling good, or just, or unflawed. Hell even in the Skokie case 4 justices dissented. Also Thiel being involved mars this case as much as people in this thread don't want to admit it. Motives matter, so does where the money comes from.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MC Nietzche posted:

You could have just posted this, it would have had the same meaning.

just because you're really really upset about what happened, doesn't make your argument correct

like if peter thiel had destroyed an actual journalism outlet like the NYT i'd be worried, but im not losing any sleep over a site that posts final fantasy listicles

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

just because you're really really upset about what happened, doesn't make your argument correct

like if peter thiel had destroyed an actual journalism outlet like the NYT i'd be worried, but im not losing any sleep over a site that posts final fantasy listicles

the NYT gave a platform for Judith Miller to help convince half the country that Iraq had WMDs (according to numerous, extremely legitimate secret sources) and we had to invade or die. her actual journalism consisted of repeating stories from "white house sources" for the sole purpose of allowing bush administration officials to point at her reporting to justify the war (they literally leaked fake intel to her to "launder" by publishing it in front-page scoops, and then used those articles to back themselves up). Ok, to be fair, I guess she had other sources--including an iraqi expat who everyone knew was a liar (Germany entirely dismissed him as a crazy gently caress), but she reprinted whatever he said as THE SCOOP FROM AN IRAQI WMD ENGINEER with zero fact-checking, despite the fact that some of his "intel" was literally plagiarized from The Rock.

the NYT bears some culpability for hundreds of thousands of deaths

gawker, on the other hand, printed "'i'm gay' -pete thiel"

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

vexatious litigation is absolutely a thing tho

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slanderer posted:

the NYT gave a platform for Judith Miller to help convince half the country that Iraq had WMDs (according to numerous, extremely legitimate secret sources) and we had to invade or die. her actual journalism consisted of repeating stories from "white house sources" for the sole purpose of allowing bush administration officials to point at her reporting to justify the war (they literally leaked fake intel to her to "launder" by publishing it in front-page scoops, and then used those articles to back themselves up). Ok, to be fair, I guess she had other sources--including an iraqi expat who everyone knew was a liar (Germany entirely dismissed him as a crazy gently caress), but she reprinted whatever he said as THE SCOOP FROM AN IRAQI WMD ENGINEER with zero fact-checking, despite the fact that some of his "intel" was literally plagiarized from The Rock.

the NYT bears some culpability for hundreds of thousands of deaths

gawker, on the other hand, printed "'i'm gay' -pete thiel"

exactly, NYT actually matters where gawker got big off gossip and nonconsensual sex tapes

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Has Gawker lost the appeal yet? I thought they were expected to win the appeal, but still closed down because Thiel specifically had the suit altered in a way to circumvent Gawker's suit insurance and essentially force the closure through bankrupting them directly.

It's legally above the board and all, but still very pointedly done to kill Gawker first, seek damages second.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Rich fucks quashing media they disagree with through legal threats is nothing new. Rich fucks destroying an entire media outlet by weaponizing other people's lawsuits is something new.

And incidentally, society decided that the former was a dangerous activity that needed to be regulated, which is why we have anti-SLAPP statutes in many states. That's probably what will ultimately happen here, although admittedly it's going to be more difficult in this case because the legal strategy in question is more complex. The kind of financing Thiel did actually does have some legitimate uses, so it's not just a case of just banning it outright.

I doubt this is the end of free and independent journalism the way some people are predicting, but its another lovely development for an institution that's already unwell. Like a lot of people, my feelings on the matter are mixed - I'm happy that Gawker is finally getting what's due to it, but I'm dismayed that this is the way it had to happen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

thecluckmeme posted:

Has Gawker lost the appeal yet? I thought they were expected to win the appeal, but still closed down because Thiel specifically had the suit altered in a way to circumvent Gawker's suit insurance and essentially force the closure through bankrupting them directly.

It's legally above the board and all, but still very pointedly done to kill Gawker first, seek damages second.

They haven't appealed because Florida requires they set aside the entire amount for the judgement or pay a $50 million appeals bond, neither of which they could afford. Now that the company is sold, I'm assuming they will cobble something together and appeal (and probably eventually win) All of their other post-trial motions have been denied.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there should be a $150m fine for being sarcastic in a legal document

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

http://imgur.com/vuQZK5Q

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Thankfully Univision is eating Gawker, minus Gawker itself, of course. Surely they'll enforce a good deal of quality control and editorial to keep this from happening again while also doing everything they can to even the score with Trump.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I can believe two things at once: that Gawker were bullies who had it coming -- outing that gay executive is only one example -- and that it is a bad thing that Peter Thiel was able to use his billions to destroy them. If I want a test case to be upset about, though, I'll pick the multi-millionaire who tried to take down Mother Jones. That wasn't a libel case, although it was disguised as one; it was SLAPP.

:agreed:

Hulk Hogan going wild in the year 2016. What a time to be alive.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

thecluckmeme posted:

Well, duh. Who seriously thinks this wasn't the whole point. HH may be a C-list celebrity now but I'm reasonably sure he's not poor or anything.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/768592061985464320

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He's becoming a partner in a law firm?!?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Subjunctive posted:

He's becoming a partner in a law firm?!?
Yeah there's nothing really new about this concept other than Thiel not being a lawyer himself. Law firms have been taking cases on contingency using their own capital since before there was even a United States. They've even been selling shares of future lawsuit payouts to divvy up the risk.

It's actually sort of how the system is supposed to work, since otherwise only clients with deep pockets could ever see a lawsuit through its end, no matter how legitimate their case.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Baby Babbeh posted:

Rich fucks quashing media they disagree with through legal threats is nothing new. Rich fucks destroying an entire media outlet by weaponizing other people's lawsuits is something new.

And incidentally, society decided that the former was a dangerous activity that needed to be regulated, which is why we have anti-SLAPP statutes in many states. That's probably what will ultimately happen here, although admittedly it's going to be more difficult in this case because the legal strategy in question is more complex. The kind of financing Thiel did actually does have some legitimate uses, so it's not just a case of just banning it outright.

I doubt this is the end of free and independent journalism the way some people are predicting, but its another lovely development for an institution that's already unwell. Like a lot of people, my feelings on the matter are mixed - I'm happy that Gawker is finally getting what's due to it, but I'm dismayed that this is the way it had to happen.

I'm...pretty sure that SLAPP relates to frivolity of legal action, which makes it generally non-applicable in this case.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

What kind of business can't scrape together $75K in legal fees to pay for a case that can net them $1 million? If they have any kind of case at all they can probably find someone who'll do it for limited money up front. This seems like it will only get used to fund the sketchiest of cases, even if they stay true to their intention to avoid the skeevy world of personal injury suits. (They probably won't).

I'm also pretty skeptical of companies that use Big Data for risk underwriting. It sounds really good in theory, but in practice you often find that the data isn't really all that useful and the features that are really determinative end up being the common sense things you'd look at anyway. Just because you have a lot of data doesn't mean it says anything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Baby Babbeh posted:

What kind of business can't scrape together $75K in legal fees to pay for a case that can net them $1 million? If they have any kind of case at all they can probably find someone who'll do it for limited money up front. This seems like it will only get used to fund the sketchiest of cases, even if they stay true to their intention to avoid the skeevy world of personal injury suits. (They probably won't).

I'm also pretty skeptical of companies that use Big Data for risk underwriting. It sounds really good in theory, but in practice you often find that the data isn't really all that useful and the features that are really determinative end up being the common sense things you'd look at anyway. Just because you have a lot of data doesn't mean it says anything.

Pretty sure that is less about large businesses and more about small ones/individuals. Even if I had a solid as hell case there's no way I could come up with $75K easily and quickly. Maybe I could talk to a lawyer that would agree to do the case for a slice of the settlement but there's no guarantee of that. More importantly somebody with deep pockets could just tie it up in court so long that the legal fees would exceed the potential payout. Same really goes for a little mom and pop sort of set up. Mr. and Mrs. Ownsathing may not necessarily have enough liquid assets around to mount any kind of legal defense.

Really, that's one of the biggest problems with the American legal system right now; if you have enough money you can just bury legal problems in it until they suffocate.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

MC Nietzche posted:

Yeah I can disagree with the Supreme Court about that one too. Just because a ruling was made doesn't make the ruling good, or just, or unflawed. Hell even in the Skokie case 4 justices dissented. Also Thiel being involved mars this case as much as people in this thread don't want to admit it. Motives matter, so does where the money comes from.

One of the most important free speech cases ever heard by the Supreme Court, rejected by Something Awful poster MC Nietzsche.

Clearly in your mind cases need to E decided based on who you find more palatable. Those kangaroo courts are sure great!

Let's just talk about unicorns.

Any other projects, like ubeam, that go against the laws of physics, started by college dropouts?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

One of the most important free speech cases ever heard by the Supreme Court, rejected by Something Awful poster MC Nietzsche.

Clearly in your mind cases need to E decided based on who you find more palatable. Those kangaroo courts are sure great!

Let's just talk about unicorns.

Any other projects, like ubeam, that go against the laws of physics, started by college dropouts?

I bet you're the kind of shill who would have defended Plessy V. Ferguson or Dred Scott v. Sandford after all if the Supreme Court decided it they must be right!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

MC Nietzche posted:

I bet you're the kind of shill who would have defended Plessy V. Ferguson or Dred Scott v. Sandford after all if the Supreme Court decided it they must be right!

I believe that the constitution is clear when it comes to freedom of speech. The government has no right to decide which views cannot be expressed, even if the rest of the people find them abhorrent. In fact, it is precisely when we deal with abhorrent views that we must be even more determined in our defense of free speech.

Or, you know, call me a shill. I'd also use that approach if I was a loving moron.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Didn't thiel get a law degree from Stanford?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

namaste faggots posted:

and clerked for the court for awhile too it looks like

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

namaste faggots posted:

Welp, then there's nothing new about this at all, unless he let his bar license expire or something. You learn something new every day!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
YikYak is dying, how will I spread vicious rumours about my sorority sisters now?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jumpingmanjim posted:

YikYak is dying, how will I spread vicious rumours about my sorority sisters now?

Anything interesting or just another in the line of social media apps where no-one had any idea how to monetize it?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Have you tried this revolutionary platform called "The Facebook"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Anything interesting or just another in the line of social media apps where no-one had any idea how to monetize it?
Oh there are ideas on how to but the problem is more "how to introduce the monetization without alienating your consumer base and killing the platform". I mean ask for 5$ per month (paid in advance for the next month) to post/commnent on twitter and you get a decent revenue but how much of your userbase do you lose?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Now i'm reminded of my all time favourite gawker article.

http://gawker.com/5994974/the-most-deranged-sorority-girl-email-you-will-ever-read

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

And people said Gawker provided no worth.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Whisper

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/08/silicon-valley-is-hostile-to-diversity-says-slack-engineering-director-leslie-miley/

Check out the comments here if you are a connoisseur of internet people explaining how the tech industry actually isn't racist.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Time to sell everything and invest in block chains, it's the future! How it will be employed is not clear but future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WhatsApp prepares for monetization.

quote:

Mobile messaging service WhatsApp will give its parent company Facebook personal information including users’ phone numbers, as part of plans to allow businesses to send messages to users.

WhatsApp’s billion-plus users will be notified of the change to its privacy policy from 25 August. They will have 30 days to decide whether to opt out of their information being used for ad targeting on Facebook, but will not be able to opt out of their data being sharing with the social network.

The ad targeting will be on Facebook’s platform, which has 1.71 billion monthly active users, with WhatsApp saying it won’t put banner ads or allow spam on its own platform.

A WhatsApp spokesperson said: “We want to explore ways for you to communicate with businesses that matter to you too, while still giving you an experience without third-party banner ads and spam.

“Whether it’s hearing from your bank about a potentially fraudulent transaction, or getting notified by an airline about a delayed flight, many of us get this information elsewhere, including in text messages and phone calls.”

The testing of tools designed to allow businesses to contact users was originally announced when WhatsApp dropped its yearly service fee on 18 January this year.
"for you to communicate with businesses"