Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

A red cape has specific symbolic meaning in the context of Iron Blooded Orphans, thinking about it. It's an old school duelist's thing, basically telling your opponent to meet you out by the bike rack.

Pretty uncommon in the "present" of the show, which makes me wonder what this dude's deal is.

Well this is more pink than red, and wasn't it specifically draped over the shoulder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

Well this is more pink than red, and wasn't it specifically draped over the shoulder?

1) If people call Char the Red Comet, I can say it's a red cape.
2) Presumably, the current cape position is for easy access to allow the pilot to challenge people to duels at any time.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a way to buy Gundam blu-rays for a non insane import price? I really like Thunderbolt (as I have said repeatedly), but not to the point where I'll spend 90 bucks to get a blu-ray.

The dipping exchange rate is making the price gap shrink, and it's still stupidly expensive for something that is only an hour long, but if you don't want the extra physical stuff and just want the BD, you can import the basic edition from Amazon Japan. It's still 65 bucks for just the BD though. https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01EHI4MOK/

Not Dave posted:

Given the turn around on Build Fighters, Try, and G-Reco, I imagine that Thunderbolt will not be a long wait.

What are the Gundam series without a Blu-ray releases? I know G was announced recently, so does that leave Wing (edit: and X)? I thought 0080 had one but I can't find any info about it and it's being released in the West in DVD so I'm guessing I imagined it.

As far as mainline stuff, just X and 0080 are missing BDs now (since G's BDs are about to release, I'm not counting those). Bandai has a pretty comprehensive guide of the releases here: https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/gundamdvd/
There are plenty that haven't made it to the west, of course, but RightStuf seems to be doing their damnedest to fix that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the mech has horns and a red cape, it seemed like a toreador riff to me

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm 12 years old and that weapon is the sickest poo poo

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I get a bit of the GP02A from those legs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

1) If people call Char the Red Comet, I can say it's a red cape.

I mean, it sounds a lot better than The Salmon Comet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That Casval sure got some impressive muscles.

(I wish I could just embed the tweet proper but I have no idea how to do that)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Literally by posting a link to the tweet

https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/768993180624691200

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

New IBO S2 trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8tHqYrzf34

Also a whole slew of new mech designs http://g-tekketsu.com/2nd/ms/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

New IBO S2 trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8tHqYrzf34

Also a whole slew of new mech designs http://g-tekketsu.com/2nd/ms/

I'm guessing the two Gjallarhorn officers we see McGillis chatting to are the pilots of the two Gjallarhorn Gundams we've seen kit previews for - the close-ranged one with the rapier with Attack on Titan-style replaceable blades, and the long-ranged one with the skull face and the four huge guns. They'll probably be working in tandem as Tekkadan's main opponents in the early part of the show.

There's also a rag-tag collection of customised Rodis and Grazes (presumably) led by the Rodi with the big hood and the huge shotels. They've been labelled an 'antagonist faction', so I'm guessing they're the Brewers 2.0, a band of infamous mercenaries hired by Todo to help Gjallarhorn.

It also seems we'll be seeing a couple of familiar (mechanical) faces from Season One - Carta apparently wasn't the only member of the Seven Stars with a Graze Ritter, and McGillis is either still using his old Schwalbe Graze or has handed it to a subordinate. This also indicates that the new, heavily-armoured Grazes are part of an elite unit, rather than being full replacements for the old machines.

The little kid with the Gjallarhorn uniform looks like they'll be important - in grand old franchise tradition, I'm suspecting we're looking at a supersoldier loaded with enhanced Alaya-Vijnana tech. It works best on growing children, after all.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The new Graze Ritter is called "Graze Ritter (McGillis machine)", although whether that means it's his own personal mech or just the colors of his faction of them I'm not sure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

The new Graze Ritter is called "Graze Ritter (McGillis machine)", although whether that means it's his own personal mech or just the colors of his faction of them I'm not sure.

Seems like an appropriately regal machine for the leader of Gjallarhorn, which I guess means someone else is flying his Schwalbe.

Man, it'd be a pretty gloriously evil twist if it's Carta's old machine, repaired and given a new paintjob to fight on in her memory.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Abyssal Dision, what are you doing here? This isn't Ace Combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have any Gundam shows ever dealt with what happens to the actual Gundam units after they become outdated? Like say a few rx-78 or 79 variants are still intact after the oyw. Are they just put into storage or do they see continued operations until they are destroyed?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have any Gundam shows ever dealt with what happens to the actual Gundam units after they become outdated? Like say a few rx-78 or 79 variants are still intact after the oyw. Are they just put into storage or do they see continued operations until they are destroyed?

Unicorn has that scene where all those old OYW zeon suits attack that EF base

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kuvo posted:

Unicorn has that scene where all those old OYW zeon suits attack that EF base

That's zeon forces though. They are always bouncing between outdated and top of the line technology. I'm curious about specifically Gundam type suits. The federation has all their mass production gm lines but what happens to all their prototype units? Apart from the mk ii surviving into zz despite being heavily outclassed by neo zeon suits, I'm drawing a blank on other gundams out living their usefulness

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's zeon forces though. They are always bouncing between outdated and top of the line technology. I'm curious about specifically Gundam type suits. The federation has all their mass production gm lines but what happens to all their prototype units? Apart from the mk ii surviving into zz despite being heavily outclassed by neo zeon suits, I'm drawing a blank on other gundams out living their usefulness

Well let's see...

Original Gundam was destroyed in the final battle
Mk.II and Zeta were destroyed at the end of ZZ
Judau kept the ZZ when he left for Jupiter
The Nu was (most likely) destroyed
The F-91 was Mass-produced
The Victory was Mass-produced
Usso kept the V2 at the end of Victory
The Alex was destroyed
The GP suits were most likely destroyed considering the entirety of the events of 0083 are covered up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Very few Gundams survive their respective series, which sort of solves that problem. The ones that do tend to be squirreled away by the original pilot.

The Gundam was destroyed. The Zeta was sealed away due to the Biosensor causing weird poo poo to happen. Judau took the ZZ to Jupiter with him. Nu Gundam was destroyed in the Axis Shock. Ect

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Judau is the best

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Federation were still using the GMs from the One Year War at the beginning of Zeta. One of the GM pilots even complains about the GMs being too out of date and useless against Char's Rick Dias team.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

All Frogs posted:

The Federation were still using the GMs from the One Year War at the beginning of Zeta. One of the GM pilots even complains about the GMs being too out of date and useless against Char's Rick Dias team.

Those are GM IIs, post-OYW suits that aren't quite advanced enough to start having the fancy gimmicks that would come to define the Gryps conflict.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc the GMII's are essentially on par specs-wise with the RX-78-2 with a panoramic cockpit, which sounds impressive until you remember that the gundam was itself already outdated by the end of the war.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

Iirc the GMII's are essentially on par specs-wise with the RX-78-2 with a panoramic cockpit, which sounds impressive until you remember that the gundam was itself already outdated by the end of the war.

To the point where the GM Sniper II was better than on par with the Gundam.

Seven years of work to get a suit that's about as good as what you already had, and a whole lot less stylish. No wonder they died en masse.

Poor GM II. The only GM without even a brief period of offscreen badassery.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It really seems like the GM/RGM series are the true success story of the Federation, rather than Gundam units that almost immediately get outstripped by their opponents and only survive by virtue of their pilots. The GM-III is a powerhouse grunt suit, while the Jegan line is the most successful mobile suit in history, with an exceptionally long service life.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

It really seems like the GM/RGM series are the true success story of the Federation, rather than Gundam units that almost immediately get outstripped by their opponents and only survive by virtue of their pilots. The GM-III is a powerhouse grunt suit, while the Jegan line is the most successful mobile suit in history, with an exceptionally long service life.

The Gundams are prototype units that were the testbed for the technology that made the GMs successful. If the Gundams didn't exist, the GM series wouldn't have existed either, or it would have existed in a far less effective form.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not quite; Gundams tend to be overpowered prototypes with all the new toys, or one-shot customs. The GM-equivalents are the followup mass-production models that iron out the kinks and excise the unnecessary expensive extras.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; Gundams tend to be overpowered prototypes with all the new toys, or one-shot customs. The GM-equivalents are the followup mass-production models that iron out the kinks and excise the unnecessary expensive extras.

Oh I get that the GM line doesn't exist without the Gundam. I just find it interesting that the prototypes have such a limited shelf life and either explode or get mothballed at Torrington.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Droyer posted:

Well let's see...

Mk.II and Zeta were destroyed at the end of ZZ

i thought the zeta was recovered and locked up after ZZ. I don't remember where I read it, but I thought Amuro was trying to get clearance to user it in the lead up to CCA and the Federation top brass got a case of the newtype jitters because of the biosensor and said 'no can do'. Thus the reason the ReGZ was there, trying to be the Zeta without the actual things that made the Zeta dangerous and remotely useful.

Another sidestory example of 'where did this Gundam go' is the S(uperior) Gundam, where there was supposedly 4 of them made, but only 1 was used, and that one was destroyed by its special AI. There's probably a full catalog of non-official side story suits that just went missing in their epilogue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh I get that the GM line doesn't exist without the Gundam. I just find it interesting that the prototypes have such a limited shelf life and either explode or get mothballed at Torrington.

Well, the thing to note is that most of the prototypes are never intended to be piloted in combat situations. They're not expected to have ANY shelf life. They just keep ending up in combat situations because Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The thing with big fancy prototypes in shows like Gundam is they really only work once. After that first battle, you can be drat-sure the other side's looking real hard at what it does and working on their own version or counter-tactics (see: Gundam 00's first season).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not Dave posted:

i thought the zeta was recovered and locked up after ZZ. I don't remember where I read it, but I thought Amuro was trying to get clearance to user it in the lead up to CCA and the Federation top brass got a case of the newtype jitters because of the biosensor and said 'no can do'. Thus the reason the ReGZ was there, trying to be the Zeta without the actual things that made the Zeta dangerous and remotely useful.

Another sidestory example of 'where did this Gundam go' is the S(uperior) Gundam, where there was supposedly 4 of them made, but only 1 was used, and that one was destroyed by its special AI. There's probably a full catalog of non-official side story suits that just went missing in their epilogue.

Gonna be perfectly honest, It was a while since i saw ZZ so i just checked the gundam wiki, and it turned out I misread! whoops. So yeah the Zeta just goes into permanent storage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I found out that Full Frontal's Side Co-Prosperity Sphere is actually based off of Imperial Japan's Co-Prosperity Sphere from WW2, and not Napoleon's Continental System like I had originally assumed. Interesting, but my point still stands that a trade system like that can only be enforced by military might, which Neo Zeon sorely lacks compared to the Federation, who would crush their efforts to strangle them out of trading with the colonies via mass mobilization.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hello friends. Kadokawa's Comic Walker just put up the first 30 issues of The Origin for free. So get on that if you wanted to read it but were broke.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

The GIG posted:

Hello friends. Kadokawa's Comic Walker just put up the first 30 issues of The Origin for free. So get on that if you wanted to read it but were broke.

thanks for linking this. really digging the water color work

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

thanks for linking this. really digging the water color work

The whole thing is pretty good. They're pricey but worth it in my opinion. If you're near a Barnes and Noble they often have them on the shelf.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I found out that Full Frontal's Side Co-Prosperity Sphere is actually based off of Imperial Japan's Co-Prosperity Sphere from WW2, and not Napoleon's Continental System like I had originally assumed. Interesting, but my point still stands that a trade system like that can only be enforced by military might, which Neo Zeon sorely lacks compared to the Federation, who would crush their efforts to strangle them out of trading with the colonies via mass mobilization.

your point still stands?

was there an argument over this???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

your point still stands?

was there an argument over this???

Not really. I just thought it was interesting, since I wasn't aware of the Japan angle and I thought they were going for the Gundam Wing style Napoleon angle. I was having a debate on another site about this, but arguing with Zeon fanboys is difficult.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Full Frontal straight up says that Laplace's Box would be used as a deterrent, which considering how everyone involved feels about the Box it's enough of a substitute for military might that I can buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perhaps, but I don't think Full Frontal has really thought his plan through well enough if he's hedging all his bets on the box, and considering how the box itself is such an anticlimax, I'd find it hilarious if his plan went through, he held the Federation at arm's length, and they attacked, only for him to open the box and realize it was a ridiculously specific clause and not anything that could stop a full scale Federation attack.

This is all going into speculation, but the box is really the only bargaining chip Neo Zeon has to stand a chance against the Federation, and it's a hollow one. I mean, the Feds were willing to destroy Industrial 7 with the Gryps Laser to prevent the box's contents from getting out.