Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Evil thoughts: is there a way to get Primed onto Risen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

albany academy posted:

Evil thoughts: is there a way to get Primed onto Risen?

I think there was something a while back that said if you had Alexia1 out of formation...somehow...(with the faction UA, maybe?) you could get spells onto the Risen. If it's the UA trick, then I guess dwarves wouldn't be able to do it. Unless you got a Rhulia UA for merc units...

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I think there was something a while back that said if you had Alexia1 out of formation...somehow...(with the faction UA, maybe?) you could get spells onto the Risen. If it's the UA trick, then I guess dwarves wouldn't be able to do it. Unless you got a Rhulia UA for merc units...

Yeah, you need a ranking officer for the trick to work (so Valachev, Murdoch, Attendant Priest and the Dominator are the only current options). It is an odd bit of behavior, but it's been discussed since day 1 of MK3 and hasn't been eratta'd yet, so I don't think it's too scummy to play it this way.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

CaptCommy posted:

Yeah, you need a ranking officer for the trick to work (so Valachev, Murdoch, Attendant Priest and the Dominator are the only current options). It is an odd bit of behavior, but it's been discussed since day 1 of MK3 and hasn't been eratta'd yet, so I don't think it's too scummy to play it this way.

I mean in the scheme of weird tricks, it's not really that game breaking off a thing either...

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

At best you're putting an upkeep on a largely poo poo unit and a power solo.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

albany academy posted:

Just remember that your risen are there to eat up your opponent's clock, not your own!

The person who took first place at the steamroller I was at last weekend won because all of their opponents death-clocked themselves.

Make sure you know your rules / models, folks!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I took this Aiakos2 list to the local store last night:

(Aiakos 2) Captain Aiakos [+29]
- Kraken [36]
- Defiler [8]
- Shrike [6]
- The Withershadow Combine [9]
General Gerlak Slaughterborn [7]
Bloodgorgers (max) [15]
Bane Warriors (max) [17]
- Bane Warrior Officer & Standard [6]

And went up against, from what I remember, this Kreoss3 list:

http://conflictchamber.com/#b21b0A1U2f1L1r3q2v3k3C3D3p3t3z4i30

Protectorate Army - 74 / 75 points

(Kreoss 2) Grand Exemplar Kreoss [+28]
- Crusader [10]
- Fire of Salvation [16]
- Vigilant [9]
- Devout [9]
- Hierophant [3]
Exemplar Vengers (max) [20]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]
The Covenant of Menoth [4]
High Exemplar Gravus [9]
Knights Exemplar Seneschal [5]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Saxon Orrik [4]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]

I ended up blowing the feat turn because of stupid bodyblocking with my Bane UA preventing my Kraken from being 100% effective, but managed to win on scenario (Incursion). It mostly came down to him swerving for the flag on my right, which had a forest blocking LOS with the long edge to the rest of the board. He had his Vengers, Kreoss, Gravus, Seneschal all pretty much tucked back there with the non-Devout warjacks pressing the center flag. I was able to just refuse the flank, go for the other two flags, and send in sacrificial Banes to contest/bodyblock.

Overall I like the Aiakos list, but it's not a final version because I need a Necrotech in there for sure. I'm thinking of either dropping the Bane UA for Necrotech + Warwitch Siren, or dropping the base unit to min for Necrotech + 5 points of something.

Bane Warriors are still pretty good, losing Stealth sucks but forests are always an option because you don't have to worry about the movement penalty, meaning you can camp in there for Concealment and always get a full charge. I really want to try them with Goreshade2 for Occult on one unit and Mirage on the other, camp the Miraged unit >3" in a forest and suddenly pop forward to hopefully surprise the poo poo out of my opponent. Shrike didn't get to do much since there weren't a lot of good targets for a trample, but at DEF 15 it served as a pain in the rear end for his non-warjack cluster to shift. Bloodgorgers didn't get to live the Carnage + Overtaking dream because of the low-model count high ARM thing, but I'd take another list anyways if I expect to see that in a tournament.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

The person who took first place at the steamroller I was at last weekend won because all of their opponents death-clocked themselves.

This sentence depresses me.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Why? There was a guy in our meta who had a similar thing happen, and it's because lots of people are new or coming back to the game for MK3.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

counterspin posted:

Why? There was a guy in our meta who had a similar thing happen, and it's because lots of people are new or coming back to the game for MK3.

I guess winning on clock always feels less...I dunno rewarding?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Luebbi posted:

If Rhupert wasn't meant to give Pathfinder to Warjacks, he'd surely only be able to give it to warrior models! Oh wait...

It's a new edition with tons of new cards, I'm sure some of the intricacies weren't tested/realized and will be changed with the next couple erratas. That's not to say that you as a player shouldn't use the options available to you - it's up to the designers to make changes as warranted or needed.

They could have buffs cast on them in mk2 and that didn't break the game. I don't know why it would make a difference. "Granted" is a very specific choice for the unit. Remember, the unit actually lost potency in the transition because of them losing arcane disjunction and alexia losing a point of defense.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
If you win on deathclock, there's usually a fair chance the gap between your opponent and you is large enough so that you'd flatten them anyhow.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Saalkin posted:

I guess winning on clock always feels less...I dunno rewarding?

As a regular eBaldur player I have to disagree.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I dunno, I just don't think it's very satisfying when I win on clock. It's happened, I've never lost on clock. To win an entire tournament because of the clock is rough.

Yeah yeah, I know the usual lectures about how it's part of the game, managing time is a skill, etc, etc, but we're still talking about man dollies pretending to shoot other man dollies so running out of time just isn't my deal. It's one of the reasons why the tournament scene ain't for me.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

I dunno, I just don't think it's very satisfying when I win on clock. It's happened, I've never lost on clock. To win an entire tournament because of the clock is rough.

Yeah yeah, I know the usual lectures about how it's part of the game, managing time is a skill, etc, etc, but we're still talking about man dollies pretending to shoot other man dollies so running out of time just isn't my deal. It's one of the reasons why the tournament scene ain't for me.

I get what you're saying completely. Honestly, I just see it as part of the nature of playing armor skew, and I enjoy watching little man dollies flail pointlessly against a wall of rock. It's certainly not flashy, but it's fun at times.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fnordcircle posted:

Make every tournament timed turns as god intended

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

Make every tournament timed turns as god intended

Your God is evil and doesn't deserve existence or worship.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Your God is evil and doesn't deserve existence or worship.

Timed turns uber alles

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Timed turns are the devil and eBaldur's a poo poo. :colbert:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Timed turns are the devil and eBaldur's a poo poo. :colbert:

Arm 23 no debuff double wrath brah

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I said he's a poo poo, not poo poo.
Unfortunately, he's not poo poo at all.
Just a massive poo poo.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

I said he's a poo poo,
not poo poo. Unfortunately,
Just a massive poo poo.

The Haiku of eBaldur.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

Timed turns are terrible

:viggo:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Deathclock is the best.

So is painting mandollies.

Look at my Madrak.

Here's the comparison with the Madrak1 I did when I got my first Trollblood models.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

loving communist of course you'd want to strangle legitimate competition

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

koreban posted:

The Haiku of eBaldur.
:golfclap:

Fyrbrand posted:

Deathclock is the best.

Look at my Madrak.
Good opinions, even better Madrak.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fyrbrand posted:

Deathclock is the best.

Look at my Madrak.

Here's the comparison with the Madrak1 I did when I got my first Trollblood models.

I hope this doesn't piss you off too much, but I think that they are both rather good looking figures. I think I'm honestly less discerning about paint jobs anymore, I'm just glad to have people painting their stuff.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Fyrbrand posted:

Deathclock is the best.

Look at my Madrak.

You paint warmans very well.

Death clock is the only clock for me. I sure hope SJ doesn't become my local pressganger because timed turns are dumb and bad. I don't want to live under his dumb and bad tyrannical fist.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 25, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Pretty sure timed turns were invented by Hitler. You wouldn't want to support Hitler would you?

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 25, 2016

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Pretty sure timed turns was invented by Hitler. You wouldn't want to support Hitler would you?

Germanic people invented the clock, this checks out

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
So I've noticed that in Warmachine Mk 3, you can now get backstrikes by walking around your enemy and hitting them in the back. You don't need to have been in their back arc for your whole activation like in the previous version.

I play the Iron Kingdoms RPG with some friends, and our party's cutthroat has had difficulty setting up back strikes, since you need to be in the enemy's back arc for the entire activation in the IKRPG rules. Anyone know if it would horribly unbalance things to port over the new and improved Warmachine backstrike rules to our IKRPG campaign?

Maybe they need to publish an errata, or a new edition or something of IKRPG...

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
We just use all the new rules for IKRPG. Game is still good and fun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I really wish it was better, as much as I've enjoyed it. Building encounters is a total crapshoot and the rules for constructing enemies is awful. Also, the arcane/skilled/mighty archetypes are horribly balanced against each other.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

HJE-Cobra posted:

Anyone know if it would horribly unbalance things to port over the new and improved Warmachine backstrike rules to our IKRPG campaign?

Considering how awful IKRPG's balance already is, I don't see how it could possibly hurt.

Butt Beholder
Jun 24, 2006

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Thinking about getting back into the game with cryx. I know they are not great now, but are the awful?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Butt Beholder posted:

Thinking about getting back into the game with cryx. I know they are not great now, but are the awful?

Cryx are still great actually, they just aren't the levels of zero-effort great that they used to be.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

KPC_Mammon posted:

Considering how awful IKRPG's balance already is, I don't see how it could possibly hurt.

Hahah fair enough.

What other rules should get ported over from Warmachine Mk 3 to IKRPG? Warjacks getting a free focus point each round when in range of the warcaster? Whatever the new rule is about throwing stuff?

But yeah, I've been the one GMing for my friends and it seems challenging to construct an encounter for them. It feels like the fights can drag on forever sometimes, while still being too easy?? Maybe I am just bad at GMing. Still fun, anyway. I hope to get their party of mercenaries fighting some Protectorate of Menoth dudes sooner or later.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Butt Beholder posted:

That depends, are you a member of the Internet hive mind or are you a strong independent woman that don't need no man? If you're the former go buy Khador, if you're not a complete mouth breather, go get some undead pirates.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

Hahah fair enough.

What other rules should get ported over from Warmachine Mk 3 to IKRPG? Warjacks getting a free focus point each round when in range of the warcaster? Whatever the new rule is about throwing stuff?

But yeah, I've been the one GMing for my friends and it seems challenging to construct an encounter for them. It feels like the fights can drag on forever sometimes, while still being too easy?? Maybe I am just bad at GMing. Still fun, anyway. I hope to get their party of mercenaries fighting some Protectorate of Menoth dudes sooner or later.

No, that's pretty accurate. It's difficult to challenge the PCs with regular bad guys so you need a swarm of them which takes forever, or you use tougher guys which turn the fights really swingy and can still take forever because of how hard they can be to kill since they're very similar or identical to PC characters.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

That depends, are you a member of the Internet hive mind or are you a strong independent woman that don't need no man? If you're the former go buy Khador, if you're not a complete mouth breather, go get some undead pirates.

yep

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Butt Beholder posted:

Cryx are still good and cool.