Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't even dislike the first season, i thought it was really engaging the entire time. Great news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

This made me smile. Yes the show has flaws, and it is not the best show quality wise on TV, it is currently my favorite show on TV.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I didn't even dislike the first season, i thought it was really engaging the entire time. Great news.

I loved both season, but in all fairness I watched season 1 in a week on Netflix right before season 2 started.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just found out this got renewed, didn't see that coming. Excited to see what happens next season.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Since the first season ended with them making an IBM clone and the second one ended with Joe stealing Gordon's antivirus idea, I'm hoping the third season will be about Tom starting Sierra Online.

Okay, Sierra was started in 1979. Tom invented Habitat or Meganet, whateve.r

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Guess I'll have to tune in for another season, for some reason.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Holy poo poo. AMC is the anti-Fox. At this point they've (almost) made up for Rubicon.

The world needs more of this cast. I just hope the writing is more consistently as good as it can be.

*edit - and then I read the AV Club article. Wouldn't mind more info about Rubicon; that little bit about metrics and a different world seem interesting.

isk fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 16, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They also hosed with Mad Men and Walking Dead pretty hard. Don’t cut them too much slack.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ufarn posted:

They also hosed with Mad Men and Walking Dead pretty hard. Don’t cut them too much slack.

Breaking Bad too, but to a lesser extent. Those split half-seasons are generally considered to be utter dick moves.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Moltke posted:

Guess I'll have to tune in for another season, for some reason.

That reason is Toby Huss, you cur. :colbert:

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ThaGrandCow posted:

At least Tom didn't show up at the last minute on the plane and rush into Cameron's arms, although I assume if there is a 3rd season he'll have caught the next plane or something.

So.

This happened:

Wikipedia.org posted:

In October 2015, AMC renewed the series for a 10-episode third season,[8] which will premiere on August 23, 2016.

See you in less than 2 weeks!

Spacebump pointed it out last year, but the thread was about dead by then.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice, I really like this show. Took forever to give it a shot because how interesting could working on old beige computers be right??

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
I'm so looking forward to this. It seems like AMC realized that the only way this show is going to work is if they market the hell out of it and make sure newcomers can binge the first two seasons. I heard Season 1 & 2 are up on Netflix, which is great.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Buzz on the first few episodes of episode 3 is high. (minor themes) Joe and Gordon are good because Pace is charismatic and McNairy's subtle, but they keep putting Cameron and Donna upfront because they're wonderful.

Also yes, Toby Huss is gold.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm not sure if I want to watch another season. I want to like this show, and I do like parts of it, but most of it ends up with drama for drama's sake.

Maybe I'll watch the first couple of this season and see what happens.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Complaining of "drama for drama's sake", in a television drama :roflolmao:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

isk posted:

Also yes, Toby Huss is gold.

Pete and Pete was my favorite show growing up, I was so :3: when I realized who Bosworth was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The season 3 trailer quotes a critic saying something like "consistently gripping drama..."

That's really good enough to put on your ads? gently caress.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
They're having a loving laugh with the tech at this point. By the mid 80s this one small tech company has invented:

A persistent MMO game world

Social networking

Online first person shooters

...and now apparently micro-transactions?

This show was really better when it was just about a yuppie sociopath and a nerd trying to make, literally, just a computer. That was the entire first season. At this rate they're going to be making augmented reality brain implants by the time MC Hammer becomes a thing.

As a reference, this is what computers looked like in 1986.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ce3XUTt3W0

I'll keep watching it because that one red haired computer woman is so beautiful she makes me want to bite off my own hands.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

joedevola posted:

As a reference, this is what computers looked like in 1986.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ce3XUTt3W0

"I had this monster database, 12 megabytes, and it was corrupted!"

Christ, i'm old. I remember those tiny hard drives as a young kid in the mid to late eighties, especially at places like Radio Shack, and thinking "12 MB? THAT'S INSANE". Then I went home and turned on my gargantuan CRT monitor with a loud "BWONNNNNGGGG" to play my Commodore 64 games.

Years and years later, I got a Gateway desktop with a Voodoo 2 card in it, and my skull was exploded after watching a high resolution GPU benchmarking test for Quake 2.

quote:

I'll keep watching it because that one red haired computer woman is so beautiful she makes me want to bite off my own hands.

Kerry Bishé is so gorgeous it's not even funny.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This show is good, and I'm glad literally everybody including the cast was wrong about how it was going to get cancelled and I'm excited it's back.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Complaining of "drama for drama's sake", in a television drama :roflolmao:

It's ham-fisted and forced. Plenty of good dramas on TV where the drama makes sense.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
That is way more fireworks than we talked about :ohdear:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

joedevola posted:

Social networking

In the sense that chat rooms and newsgroups are social networking.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Are they still casting Joe as a bad Steve Jobs ripoff?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

gret posted:

Are they still casting Joe as a bad Steve Jobs ripoff?

He's somewhere between Steve Jobs and John McAfee now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gordon looks extremely on his last legs :(

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Gordon looks extremely on his last legs :(

Yeah Joe is toying with an unwell man. That whole deposition thing is bullshit, Joe retained Gordon to work on that oil company's servers, they obviously had a business relationship.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

joedevola posted:

They're having a loving laugh with the tech at this point. By the mid 80s this one small tech company has invented:

Also they're making a 'mainframe'. Out of what looks like PC104 cards. That runs IBM PC DOS. :psyduck:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Also they're making a 'mainframe'. Out of what looks like PC104 cards. That runs IBM PC DOS. :psyduck:

They used to run on banks of what looked like stock IBM XTs so maybe.

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Cards that didn't even plug into a socket... he just seated it in between the rails lmao

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wacky Delly posted:

He's somewhere between Steve Jobs and John McAfee now.

I hope he starts off more Jobs but goes pure McAfee by season's end.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Donna kicking open the stall door to reveal someone in it was probably the highlight.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

I hope he starts off more Jobs but goes pure McAfee by season's end.

Show ends with Joe shooting some guy in Belize and running for president, I can dig it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I did like their GUI game chat rooms looked a lot like Maniac Mansion which wasn't far from release at that point.

Still like the show and everyone save Cameron.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mortanis posted:

I did like their GUI game chat rooms looked a lot like Maniac Mansion which wasn't far from release at that point.

Still like the show and everyone save Cameron.

I always figured Community was a takeoff on Habitat, which predated Maniac Mansion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpulhO3jyc

The speech bubbles are definitely inspired by it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plenty of good dramas on TV where the drama makes sense.

Subjective but this is one of them, and it's currently one of the best.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always figured Community was a takeoff on Habitat, which predated Maniac Mansion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpulhO3jyc

The speech bubbles are definitely inspired by it.

Oh good catch. I hadn't even remembered that, and Lucasfilm to boot.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Someone do up a Season 3 thread, I work a new schedule and won't be able to watch the show on a regular basis.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

joedevola posted:

They are telling the big, expansive history of computer tech progress through the prism of a small group of entrepreneurs. It's sort of an alternate universe, in the same way Mad Men was. There wasn't really a guy named Don Draper who was singlehandedly responsible for all the major campaigns and slogans of the 60s and 70s, either.

I don't mind that approach at all, given the alternative is some sort of anthology series with a new group of historically accurate nerds inventing something every week. At some point, character development has to enter the picture otherwise they might as well just make a documentary series.

But I do agree that the anachronisms are jarring. I'm not sure why they feel the need to cram modern technology into a story taking place in the mid 80s. Like... I think they were talking about end-to-end encryption in consumer focused BBS chat rooms in that last episode, if I heard correctly. If its a thing people are starting to discuss in earnest in 2016, you can be sure no one was doing it or even thinking about it 30 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I noticed they sewed a bra into Mackenzie Davis' shirt. She's still looks distracted and uncomfortable and usually has a kangaroo stance (arms in front of chest) in scenes where her boobs are on display; unless she's purposely acting like a girl who doesn't wear a bra and is really self concious about it then she is spot on.

Only 2 eps in but S3 is looking good so far.

• Locked thread