Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jimbo raises a good point though
https://twitter.com/12thPrime/status/768400849743720449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Every day I go and sit in the Cartoonitorium at the First Dog on the Moon Institute and stare blanky at a blank page and I think to myself...

...this could use a large amount of unreadable, hand-drawn, sans-serif text.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

What if I actually did a cartoon and not a bad essay with maybe a picture of a dog

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Photoshop!? Looks more like MS Paint.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lmao

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...a78416c957b5207

quote:

A push by Sydney’s Chinese community to dump the Safe Schools program from NSW schools is gaining broader support with Victorian ethnic leaders also hearing concerns about the controversial program.

The NSW parliament will debate the program’s future next month after a petition with more than 17,000 signatures was tabled by Liberal MP Damien ­Tudehope this week on behalf of the Australian-Chinese community.

Confederation of Indian Australian Associations chair Vasan Srinivasan said many within Melbourne’s large Indian population were similarly troubled by the program’s presence in Victoria, where Premier Daniel Andrews has taken steps to protect it and branded critics as “bigots”.

“We do believe that should be stopped,” Mr Srinivasan said. “That’s the majority of community feeling.

“It should not be given that platform in the school lessons, the majority of Indians feel … school is not an appropriate place to bring this subject up.”

Chinese Association of Victoria president Ka Sing Chua said some in his community were also worried about it, particularly newer migrants.

“Sometimes they are a bit more conservative,” he said.

The Andrews government has been a vocal supporter of Safe Schools, making Victoria the only state planning to continue with the unamended version of the program — which includes homosexual role-play and asking students to consider gender as a fluid concept — following a review that prompted changes to the federally funded course.

The state Opposition has committed to axing it for a more general anti-bullying program, with education spokesman Nick Wakeling saying disquiet among ethnic communities was a contributing factor.

“Labor MPs will ignore this issue at their own peril,” he said.

“Ultimately they will need to explain to parents in their community why they as a Labor government know better what’s in the interest of the child when it comes to this issue.”

The Andrews government has pledged funding to expand the program to all state secondary schools.

Basically you could bold the whole thing, but this represents a changing/evolution of tactics by the opponents of Safe Schools. It's an extremely transparent attempt to wedge multiculturalism against equality, although the bitter irony is the argument they are pushing is that we should respect the wishes and opinions of minority groups , obviously only when it aligns with the anti-LGBTI crowd.

Also amazingly, there's no mention of size/scope of the opposition within these groups, and if it's anything like the Jewish community (which I am more familiar with, I'm not Jewish) then it's hardly a consensus and barely newsworthy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's amazing how the usual narrative of "they should stop having <whatever> values they have and be part of the greater community" changes to "we need to respect the wishes of every minority" when it's convenient to their particular bigotry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's a pretty clever attack approach, I think it's more to convince themselves because the argument is so transparent and doesn't really stand up to the most basic level of scrutiny.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They just saw how helpful identity politics was to the nominal left and didn't want to miss out.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Apparent a WA leadership spill is about to happen to Colin. Live on Sky right now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Apparent a WA leadership spill is about to happen to Colin. Live on Sky right now.

Who wants to be a captain of a sinking ship?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Adam Giles

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

But enough about the September OP.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

this tweeter seems mad that Hillary opened a jar of pickles as part of a rib on a late night talk show.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the anime meme nazis are convinced that Hillary is afflicted by so many diseases she'll die two days into her term. it's weird imo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ben Garrison is a crazy person who over time becomes the 4chan parody version of himself that he hates so much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As a member of the chinese community, gently caress COMMUNITY VALUES

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

BBJoey posted:

the anime meme nazis

WHY are these even a thing? It's absolutely mindboggling to me.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

They just saw how helpful identity politics was to the nominal left and didn't want to miss out.

yeah hahaha identity politics, thats what "the left" does

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

But enough about the September OP.

:buddy: Actually there was a good bit on the whole sad NT situation on Late Night Live. It's sadder than Tasmania.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

Status of laws against homosexuality in India - still life imprisonment?

Gee golly they definitely have relevant opinions and values

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Recoome posted:

Lmao

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...a78416c957b5207

Basically you could bold the whole thing, but this represents a changing/evolution of tactics by the opponents of Safe Schools. It's an extremely transparent attempt to wedge multiculturalism against equality, although the bitter irony is the argument they are pushing is that we should respect the wishes and opinions of minority groups , obviously only when it aligns with the anti-LGBTI crowd.

Also amazingly, there's no mention of size/scope of the opposition within these groups, and if it's anything like the Jewish community (which I am more familiar with, I'm not Jewish) then it's hardly a consensus and barely newsworthy.

Indeed. I'm sure they were very careful to avoid using Muslim conservatives to drive the point home either. A conservative is still a conservative no matter which race or nationality they come from. It sounds like this kind of wedge could fall apart pretty easily though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

yeah hahaha identity politics, thats what "the left" does

Uhh, It's what a lot of people who call themselves 'left' or 'progressive' or whatever do?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

Uhh, It's what a lot of people who call themselves 'left' or 'progressive' or whatever do?

now this will prob sound weird but it turns out that there's actually discrimination based on identity in Australia, hope that helps

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do you think I'm trying to deny that?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Identity politics isnt a thing people do its an insult like allopathic medicine

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Tbh i think im a bigot now when people talk about genders being more then male/female, sure you want your sexuality to be a pansexual flying fruit bat go nuts but saying thats your gender makes my eyes roll back in my head

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Scarecow posted:

Tbh i think im a bigot now when people talk about genders being more then male/female, sure you want your sexuality to be a pansexual flying fruit bat go nuts but saying thats your gender makes my eyes roll back in my head

Source your quotes.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Australia
Our schools are safe.
Love it or leave it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

identity politics as a term can be used legitimately to define a certain kind of leftist thought centred on individual identity as opposed to collective-based class politics which was (relatively speaking) more prevalent in the 20th century, but often it is used by anime meme nazis to deride ideas like "maybe we shouldn't murder all the Muslims/gay people/black people"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

He said the engine was "cumulative" and recorded the gender most commonly used over a period of time, not in the moment.

"It's been going for about four weeks, so it's going to be interesting to see how that goes," he said.

"The top five are quite consistent, but when you look in the long tail of gender, there's some quite interesting stuff.

"You can see that Victoria has a much wider gender vocabulary and they get more adventurous, whereas it is significantly less in the other states."

Mr Nicol said most states and territories tended to have genders in their top 50 that were not commonly used in other states.

I've got a stupid 'emoji'->'gender' word filter

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I can't help but think IWC would have a hilarious opinion on this, where is he when we're talking about something right up his alley?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If the "taxed and taxed nots" means what I think it means we can say goodbye to the tax free threshold (if the chucklefucks can organise themselves out of their paperbag senate) https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/25/scott-morrison-hits-out-at-taxed-nots-and-warns-of-recession-risk

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kat Delacour posted:

(if the chucklefucks can organise themselves out of their paperbag senate)

that's a lomarf for sure

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao if the Coal-ition removed tax-free they would lose the next election and all elections for the next 10,000 years.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Kat Delacour posted:

If the "taxed and taxed nots" means what I think it means we can say goodbye to the tax free threshold (if the chucklefucks can organise themselves out of their paperbag senate) https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/25/scott-morrison-hits-out-at-taxed-nots-and-warns-of-recession-risk

Or they'll just remove enough benefits from the poor so that over their lifetime they don't receive more tax dollars than they give.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

identity politics is like a warning phrase (e.g. regressive left; nominal left) that the person who said it is full of poo poo

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Kat Delacour posted:

The amount of outright lies and muddleheaded thinking in his speech was at the point where he might as well be saying "Goo goo gah gah".

eg - Labour's budget mess. Well No Scott it was Peter Costello who organised the structural deficit for us also good job on contracting growth and suggesting we reduce discretionary spending potential to help fix it. My cat for treasurer. Rolling on the keyboard would have to be better than what we now have.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

identity politics is like a warning phrase (e.g. regressive left; nominal left) that the person who said it is full of poo poo
:lol:
Identity politics is an established term and if you're going to write off everyone who uses it you're going to be writing off a lot of people. It even has an entry in the SEP. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-politics/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

:lol:
Identity politics is an established term and if you're going to write off everyone who uses it you're going to be writing off a lot of people. It even has an entry in the SEP. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-politics/

yeah ugh did you actually read what you linked heh

• Locked thread