Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess they could have added "this fall on CBS" followed by a wink to the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CPColin posted:

I'm ashamed that it took until they said, "I'm sure you two will go on to many exciting adventures!" before I realized "Assignment: Earth" was a backdoor pilot.

There's some godawful comics based on the idea.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Railing Kill posted:

"Computer: create a baseball team with Sandy Koufax and Herman Goering as a battery. Randomize the rest of the players." *smiles smugly* "Yeah, this'll go real well."
"Computer: Create a baseball team made up of history's greatest players."
*Team composed entirely of Joe Piscopoes materializes*

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There are people today who rewatch Super Bowls and Stanley Cup playoffs. Why wouldn't someone watch an awesome World Series match on the holodeck?

Archer used to enjoy kicking back to watch vids of whatever the water polo equivalent of the world cup is.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 25, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Knormal posted:

Somewhere there's a scrapped episode where Joe Piscopo gains sentience and takes control of the Enterprise.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

CPColin posted:

I'm ashamed that it took until they said, "I'm sure you two will go on to many exciting adventures!" before I realized "Assignment: Earth" was a backdoor pilot.

Assignment: Earth is a fun (and cool and good) episode, but it's really pretty hilarious from a Star Trek point of view. It's just one minor rewrite away from not needing to have the Enterprise crew in it at all. That said, awkward backdoor pilot or no, I always felt like that was a route Star Trek really could have gone down. So many Trek episodes involve the crew showing up on a planet, dicking around for a while, and watching as the plot resolves itself without them doing much, that sometimes I wonder if Trek couldn't have thrived as an anthology show. The guest stars are often the best characters on the show because they're free to grow and change and do horrible things or die tragically without the writers slamming down on the reset button. The stakes are always higher when there's an interesting guest star involved (because we know that nothing that happens to the main cast will ever stick), and it would be really interesting to see what you could do if you maintained Trek's basic premise, but really emphasized the crew's role as observers. So many episodes creak under the strain of squeezing the crew into a plot that isn't really about them, or suffer by being about the dangerous high stakes adventures of people who aren't actually allowed to suffer permanent consequences, that taking the crew out of the equation more often might have been really liberating for the writers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I vaguely remember Kate Muglrew not being the original choice for the lead on the show, Genevieve something was the first choice? I'd just google it but usually Timby has some amazing backstory you don't find in a random search.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well the original spec for Star Trek was "wagon Train to the Stars" a space version of wagon train, which I understand was largely anthology based. The wagon train of wagon train would just transport settlers and check in on trading posts, while the wagon train crew(?), and the original idea for Star Trek was to have the ship largely visit earth colonies and take experts to important planets.

This idea survived late into the shows development before they decided to focus on episodic story telling and the bridge crew, and have the ship mostly visit alien planets and "where no man has gone before".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I vaguely remember Kate Muglrew not being the original choice for the lead on the show, Genevieve something was the first choice? I'd just google it but usually Timby has some amazing backstory you don't find in a random search.

Oh yeah, there's a few scenes on Youtube. She was awful.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Rhyno posted:

Geneviève Bujold played her estranged sister, Nicole Janeway! :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching the first DS9 episode with Odo's people.

Odo: Changelings?
Female Changeling: It's a name given to us by the Solids. They meant it as an insult, but in defiance we took it and made it our own.
Girlfriend: OH! So it's their N-Word.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, there's a few scenes on Youtube. She was awful.

The scene that exists with her is 90% meaningless bullshit technobabble. It's hilarious that the first shooting day they started off with something that is literally just the actors trying to sell terrible dialogue before they're given a chance to actually act. I mean, she didn't sell the dialogue, but it could totally be the director leaving her flailing in the loving wind and her having no idea what the words she is saying could possibly mean.

Watching it makes me embarrassed for the writers. It underlines how lazy and formulaic things were from the start of voyager.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, if you edited out all the nonsensical technobabble from Voyager, you'd probably lose at least two seasons worth of air time. I feel like the Voyager writers never understood how to sell it at all. You're supposed to use it dress up something else that's actually happening, not use it to be the plot point in and of itself. If an energy beam hits your helmsman and turns him into a macaque, that's the plot point and anything you come up with about it reconfoobulating his plasmanoids is just there to explain how the hell such a crazy thing is happening. Now, that's bad enough and Voyager did it plenty, but the other thing they did, which is just completely baffling, is they'd announce that "his plasmanoids are being reconfoobulated!" and make that be the plot point. Not only do none of us know what that means (I guess it's bad though!), but then they'd solve it 30 seconds of camera shaking later by shouting "quickly, we have to deconfabulate the isodynamic inversion buffer cables!" At which point, we're supposed to wipe our brow and say "whew, that was a close one!"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I just re-watched Voyager again and it was almost like they were improvising the technobabble early on. Torres kept having to pause between thoughts and it sounded like the writers just put [TECHNOBABBLE] in the script and the actors were winging it without rehearsing.

"We could fire a dekyon beam at the leading edge of the anomaly and.......create a....inverse symmetrical warp field and channel it inwards"

It's no wonder the first janeway was having so much trouble.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I had only ever seen the scene in the badlands where they get grabbed to the delta quadrant, which is entirely lacking in intensity... I didn't realize there was more.

https://youtu.be/SaWyA6F3Qxc

Like, some of that is pretty darned good for early production. The waterless planet stuff sells really well, and she feels troubled in the tuvok scene. You have to change your expectations a little, because she's certainly playing a more brooding and thoughtful character then Mulgrew, but that's fine.

The bridge stuff is definitely subdued.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 25, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Her delivery is very stilted and her inflection keeps changing. Is she trying to hide an accent?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Duckbag posted:

Her delivery is very stilted and her inflection keeps changing. Is she trying to hide an accent?

I think she's just doing the accent that she has

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You can hear her audibly pull up every time she has to say something even vaguely technical.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

it sounded like the writers just put [TECHNOBABBLE] in the script and the actors were winging it without rehearsing.

Isn't this actually what they did? I remember someone ITT mentioning it a while back. Like, the scripts were written with "Technobabble" or "Piller Filler" where a big pile of technobabble ought to be, and LeVar Burton or Colm Meany or Roxanne Dawson would just make poo poo up?

Knormal posted:

"Computer: Create a baseball team capable of losing to the 1962 New York Mets."
*Nine Michael Jordans materialize*

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Computer, create a basketball player capable of dunking on Data.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's pretty much peak Voyager that they had an actor just do technobabble for a screen test

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's some godawful comics based on the idea.

By your favourite writer/artist!

Also, I feel like Gary Seven is what you'd get if a US network tried to make Doctor Who.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pakled posted:

Computer, create a basketball player capable of dunking on Data.

Bugs Bunny materializes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
WARP PARTICLES!

They had parts where they would just write "we have to (tech) the (tech)!" Then another writer would come in to add in sciencey words.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The thing that really bugs me about that approach to techno babble is that it would have been easier to just spend an hour or two laying down same basic rules in the show bible and then inserting them into the scripts instead of making something up whole sale each time.

Time fuckery: chronoton particles
Warp drive related: subspace and or tachyons
Something bad is happening: reverse the polarity

Especially by the time Voyager rolled around enough of that kind of stuff was de facto established that there really was no excuse for stuff like Warp Particles.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

T.C. posted:

The scene that exists with her is 90% meaningless bullshit technobabble. It's hilarious that the first shooting day they started off with something that is literally just the actors trying to sell terrible dialogue before they're given a chance to actually act.
The little featurette I saw of her bit was also missing the Treksounds. Which is amazing to me, that people can get through De-Ionizing the Warp Coil Manifolds using a Level 3 Baryometric Sweep without the sound greebles around.

It all sounds so sterile without the FX.

sunday at work posted:

The thing that really bugs me about that approach to techno babble is that it would have been easier to just spend an hour or two laying down same basic rules in the show bible and then inserting them into the scripts instead of making something up whole sale each time.

Time fuckery: chronoton particles
Warp drive related: subspace and or tachyons
Something bad is happening: reverse the polarity
I mean, if you watch enough VOYs1 you kind of do get some consistency.

Annular Confinement Beam is Teleporter AoE poo poo. Gravimetric is some curvature of space gravity bullshit. Biogenic is some neural energy field bullshit.
The rest is usually bullshit made up to give the plot some meaning or menace.
"Captain, their weapons are emitting theta-band radiation. Our sensors are useless!" "B'Elanna, can we use the deflector array to deploy a modular radiogenic pulse? That might--" "Cause runaway Theta decay! They'll be lit up like Christmas trees!"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 25, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like to think Paris puttering around with :smug: internal combustion mechanics :smug: has some of that Treknobabble going on.

"I just don't get it Neelix, everything I try just makes the car go slower"

"We had a problem like that on Talaxian RefugeShip #277... As I recall, the commander decided to jettison some extra weight. About 50 bowls of Leeola Root smoothies later, the entire crew was at least 10 lbs lighter each!"

"Hey wait a minute... if I reroute the gasolinotic lines through the central carbobulator--"

"It might produce enough pressure to aerate the main Gofastium drive!"

"Yeah. I'll have to reinforce the lubricator array with rarified Pennzoilium, but this might just work"

//later//

"Alright, time to start this baby u--"

//Holocar explodes//

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, Future's End is horrifying. They panned across the LA boardwalk and it took a few seconds for me to realize that yes, this is what 1996 actually looked like.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 25, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

The Corbomite Maneuver, The Man Trap and one other episode (I forget which one -- Charlie X, maybe?) were screened for NBC executives, and they chose The Man Trap to be the "real" premiere of the show.

Pretty sure it was Mudd's Women that was the third one for consideration.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Railing Kill posted:

Isn't this actually what they did? I remember someone ITT mentioning it a while back. Like, the scripts were written with "Technobabble" or "Piller Filler" where a big pile of technobabble ought to be, and LeVar Burton or Colm Meany or Roxanne Dawson would just make poo poo up?

It's about half-right. There was a convention whereby the writers would put [TECH] in the script, but that wasn't for the actors to ad-lib; the script would get sent to the art department where the turbo-nerds like Rick Sternbach and Mike Okuda worked (same guys who wrote the Tech manuals) and they would try to fill in the appropriate technobabble for what the writers were calling for.

That said, Naren Shankar also claimed in an interview that a Mad Libs-style technobabble generator which had been sent to the TNG writers as a gag/spoof had at some point been taken up in earnest as a tool by the Voyager writers to string together technobabble.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Michael Piller apparently really didn't like that "Piller Filler" became a standard term for script-padding technobabble.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

That job fell to whoever was the science advisor at the time. You can imagine how much work went into the writers getting the science guy to understand exactly what needed to happen. I think Okuda complained that his input would be ignored whenever it was inconvenient. So lazy.

Supposedly Ron Moore inserted the tongue in cheek technobabble scene with Riker and the Ferengi guy in Rascals.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Ron Moore posted:

Moore then went on to describe how a typical script might read before the science consultants did their thing:

La Forge: "Captain, the tech is overteching."

Picard: "Well, route the auxiliary tech to the tech, Mr. La Forge."

La Forge: "No, Captain. Captain, I've tried to tech the tech, and it won't work."

Picard: "Well, then we're doomed."

"And then Data pops up and says, 'Captain, there is a theory that if you tech the other tech ... '" Moore said. "It's a rhythm and it's a structure, and the words are meaningless. It's not about anything except just sort of going through this dance of how they tech their way out of it."

:laugh:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 25, 2016

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Rhyno posted:

Man, Future's End is horrifying. They panned across the LA boardwalk and it took a few seconds for me to realize that yes, this is what 1996 actually looked like.

You are not far behind me. Imo they should have left behind Janeway with her pants suit, and gone with Captain Hobo. The bitch sold him out to the cops. Series 3 is a slog.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 25, 2016

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Can we agree that Mark Twain in Time's Arrow is the most annoying character in any episode of TNG, if not in Star Trek as a whole?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens. Shame.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Momotaros posted:

Can we agree that Mark Twain in Time's Arrow is the most annoying character in any episode of TNG, if not in Star Trek as a whole?

*angry twain noises*
Absolutely not he's a loving treasure and I'll always think of Mark Twain as his depiction in TNG.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Momotaros posted:

Knowing that it's Deep Throat from X-Files just makes all those scenes hilarious.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

After The War posted:

Knowing that it's Deep Throat from X-Files just makes all those scenes hilarious.

Oh man. I didn't even know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

After The War posted:

What in the goddamn! I had no idea, this changes EVERYTHING