Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

large hands posted:

she's gonna rebel against daddy and wind up as an LPC apparatchik married to an old stock realtor

after finishing 3/4 of a liberal arts degree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ikantski posted:

after finishing 3/4 of a liberal arts degree

majoring in weed philosophy and a minor in gender studies

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Her best friend will be Jenny Kwan's child.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

As an actual foreigner-looking-to-move-to-Canada I'm continually astonished at how willing you guys are to sell out wholesale to us even with the most idiotic of terms.

You're better than this.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Dear God why do you want to move here

There are no jobs. The cost of living is atrocious. The loving people are assholes

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

I just love how at some point the person writing this must've thought "this really needs a Pokemon to seal the deal"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

namaste faggots posted:

Dear God why do you want to move here

There are no jobs. The cost of living is atrocious. The loving people are assholes

Personal reasons. I assure you it isn't for jobs or COL or the cultural personality.

Frankly I'm gambling that the USA decides to annex Toronto sometime in the next couple decades. UCAS!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Has anyone stopped to consider the offensive stupidity of selling off the bulk of our university endowment lands in order to build outrageously expensive condos for chinese millionaires to buy?

Like, is this where we are now? Have we just accepted that our educational institutions will have no need to ever expand their facilities (let alone student housing) and the most valuable land should be sold off to benefit another country altogether? I mean, gently caress domestic students, they can stack themselves in leaking mold-ridden basements an hour from campus right?

Maybe I'm just pissy after watching a bunch of pretentious fuerdai parade themselves around the new towers at SFU all week, examining their new fiefdoms.

I think this was the intention of the endowment lands concept? To be developed and the profits used to fund the university?

I'm not saying it wasn't a terrible idea. The concept doesn't incentivize the creation of nearby low cost student housing and the result is that you have all the students living in East Van and taking the insanely full 99 B Line across the entire city every day into school.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Has anyone stopped to consider the offensive stupidity of selling off the bulk of our university endowment lands in order to build outrageously expensive condos for chinese millionaires to buy?

Like, is this where we are now? Have we just accepted that our educational institutions will have no need to ever expand their facilities (let alone student housing) and the most valuable land should be sold off to benefit another country altogether? I mean, gently caress domestic students, they can stack themselves in leaking mold-ridden basements an hour from campus right?

Maybe I'm just pissy after watching a bunch of pretentious fuerdai parade themselves around the new towers at SFU all week, examining their new fiefdoms.

Except it's not stupid at all, since it is a BUBBLE. Sell off the lands while prices are high in the bubble, let the foreigners buy the bag, then after the bubble collapses the university could get the land back for cheap and even with the bonus of it already sorta developed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
How can they afford these things they aren't even Chinese.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man, all I got from my agent was a nice grill/smoker.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I got a 15 dollar gift card to the local coffee shop

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
My agent gave me a nice fire pit for the backyard :)

How happy and naive I was.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How can they afford these things they aren't even Chinese.

They were lucky enough to be born in the Greatest Place On Earth

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

A 35% downpayment is fairly conservative. A bank would make money on a delinquent loan when it's secured against a house unless the market really poo poo tanked and the lendee walked away. Which they cannot in BC I think.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

A 35% downpayment is fairly conservative. A bank would make money on a delinquent loan when it's secured against a house unless the market really poo poo tanked and the lendee walked away. Which they cannot in BC I think.

I cannot walk away from a mortgage in BC.

Chinese nationals can walk away from quite a few things by getting on a plane back to China.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ocrumsprug posted:

I cannot walk away from a mortgage in BC.

Chinese nationals can walk away from quite a few things by getting on a plane back to China.

The banks could only lose in that scenario if prices dropped more than 35% though. cowofwar is right. If I was investing my money and had to choose, I would rather invest in mortgages that are 35% down with no income verification vs 5% down with income verification.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

This post is a great example of how insane this market has become.

People like you now think it's OK to lend hundreds of thousands of dollars to loving students with no income verification required

No loving bank thinks it's a good idea to foreclose a mortgage Jesus Christ man haven't you been paying attention to the Americans

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ikantski posted:

The banks could only lose in that scenario if prices dropped more than 35% though. cowofwar is right. If I was investing my money and had to choose, I would rather invest in mortgages that are 35% down with no income verification vs 5% down with income verification.

No loving bank is making this calculation and thinking hmmm great idea Layton, let's toast your promotion at the golf course after work

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Except that one bank which literally does that? :confuoot:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I didn't say CIBC had made a rational justification for that stupid mortgage.

Edit: CIBC isn't saying that foreclosure is a reasonable profit center. Foreclosures are a banking albatross. I mean gently caress, it's a non performing loan

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 25, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The 35% down payment is such a departure from everything else, it is almost believable that they are banking on that calculation.

The market is so insane, I wouldn't have been surprised if that advert was for 0% downpayment, unverified income mortgages for international students.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

The market is so insane, I wouldn't have been surprised if that advert was for 0% downpayment, unverified income mortgages for international students.

That's literally how retail credit and car loans have begun to function in many countries as of this year.

Credit is treated like air.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

No loving bank thinks it's a good idea to foreclose a mortgage Jesus Christ man

They wouldn't have to foreclose though. Even if the market tanks 30% and the student loses their method of paying their mortgage, they can sell the place on their own and cover it. The 35% down gives them so much buffer. If students could get a mortgage with 95% down with no income verification, you wouldn't care right? 5% down without income verification would be ludicrous. Somewhere in between, you're comfortable with the risk. 35% doesn't seem that bad (to me). If house prices drop more than 35%, the international student portfolio is probably going to be the last of their worries.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 25, 2018

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

I think this was the intention of the endowment lands concept? To be developed and the profits used to fund the university?

I'm not saying it wasn't a terrible idea. The concept doesn't incentivize the creation of nearby low cost student housing and the result is that you have all the students living in East Van and taking the insanely full 99 B Line across the entire city every day into school.

Fuuuuuck don't remind me the students are coming back

Working at UBC is magical during the summer, it's a beautiful campus and I have it almost to myself

Then the rest of the year I have to share it (and the 99B) with UBC students.

loving mouthbreathers

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ikantski posted:

They wouldn't have to foreclose though. Even if the market tanks 30% and the student loses their method of paying their mortgage, they can sell the place on their own and cover it. The 35% down gives them so much buffer. If students could get a mortgage with 95% down with no income verification, you wouldn't care right? 5% down without income verification would be ludicrous. Somewhere in between, you're comfortable with the risk. 35% doesn't seem that bad (to me). If house prices drop more than 35%, the international student portfolio is probably going to be the last of their worries.

You're assuming that in the event of such a situation that they'll be able to sell the home in a reasonable period of time. If you have an entire market that goes sideways and everyone's home takes a 20-30% haircut, you're going to have to find buyers that may or may not exist anymore.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/financialpost/status/768841050114953218?s=09
Oh up to 30%?

lmao

quote:

A steep drop in home prices of 30 per cent and a spike in unemployment to 11 per cent across the country would cost Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce less than $100-million in mortgage losses, according to the bank’s stress tests.

How a potential housing downturn could hit hard for Canada’s big banks — eventually

Analysis: The big banks would not be immune to a steep drop in prices, something that seems within the realm of possibility given early indications of cooling in Vancouver. Read on

On a conference call with analysts Thursday, where the topic of a potential housing downturn was raised, CIBC’s chief risk officer Laura Dottori-Attanasio told analysts that the bank assumes losses in such a scenario would include some insured mortgages where claims would be denied by overwhelmed insurers.

But she said the bank continues to view the residential mortgage book to be a “very good product” and is not concerned about markets such as Vancouver and Toronto where home prices have been rising rapidly.

“When we look at our greater Toronto and Vancouver markets, we have better [credit] scores than the national average, lower at origination loan to values, our serious arrear rates are much lower than our overall portfolio, and so the credit quality is very high in these particular segments,” she said.

“In fact, as we get worried about where the economy might be headed and the leveraged Canadian consumer, I think the area you want to look at more closely is in the unsecured product area.”

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Are there any good articles theorizing how a possible housing slow/crash would affect the dollar? If home prices start trending downwards sharply would we see an immediate effect on the dollar due to "confidence"? Or would we have to wait for housing starts to slow/stop and jobs to start hemorrhaging to see the dollar go down? Or even then is our dollar still too coupled to commodity prices for it to make any difference?

If the dollar tanks down to $0.65 again (all my savings are outside of Canada) and housing prices come down 10-15%, I could actually afford to comfortably buy something better than a 550ft2 poorly laid out, poorly constructed condo.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

James Baud posted:

Prices went up ~30% in each of 2015 and 2016 if you missed it, from values that were already way high.

You better believe that it can rocket back down by 35% with ease.

Sure but that's still the worst case scenario (where they default the day after they take the loan). Prices will probably rise for another year or three while the students are paying down the mortgage.

OSI bean dip posted:

You're assuming that in the event of such a situation that they'll be able to sell the home in a reasonable period of time. If you have an entire market that goes sideways and everyone's home takes a 20-30% haircut, you're going to have to find buyers that may or may not exist anymore.

Yeah for this individual but it averages out for the bank. If the market drops 30% and hundreds of their accounts have to sell to cover the mortgage, some will sell fast, some slow, some high, some low but it will average to around 30%. Otherwise the market would have dropped more than 30%? If it drops more than 30%, they're probably out of business anyways.

e: ^ lol

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A foreclosure lawyer told me that the banks don't care about foreclosure and it's no big deal, so I guess at the moment they have total confidence in their ability to resell a property and still be ok. This is an awfully bullish stance. I wonder how much prices have to drop before that opinion changes.

Additionally I wonder if there's a difference between detached houses and condos. The lawyer may have only been referencing the latter. My feeling is that there's always going to be more demand for detached homes and the glut in supply will be in condos. Overpriced shoebox condos could be what the banks really take a bath on.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Those cars are owned (or leased) by Scenic Rush...they're a rental company that lets you drive up and down the Sea-To-Sky corridor in a variety of Supercars. Unlikely the people in the photo also own the company.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why would you rent a supercar somewhere other than a track? I can already do well over the speed limit in pretty much any passenger car on any highway in Canada.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Never underestimate the lengths people will go to in order to appear more wealthy than they are. I find it tacky.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

Why would you rent a supercar somewhere other than a track? I can already do well over the speed limit in pretty much any passenger car on any highway in Canada.

The illusion of prestige and the overwhelming, anxious need to prove that your money has value by spending it on something

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I guess that makes sense, but why not do it in Vegas or someplace where you can also thrash it around a track if you choose?

But then again, I suppose if I were the target market for this sort of thing, I wouldn't have gotten the babby Mustang.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
guys, Canadians are parochial and ostentatious retards????? how could this be????

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The people who put the appearance of wealth so high up on their list of priorities generally don't take nearly as much time to actually experience things. What's the point in taking a car on the track? It costs more and you can't post self aggrandizing selfies on Instagram nearly as easily while trying to hit an apex just right as you can pulled over on the shoulder somewhere..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

The people who put the appearance of wealth so high up on their list of priorities generally don't take nearly as much time to actually experience things. What's the point in taking a car on the track? It costs more and you can't post self aggrandizing selfies on Instagram nearly as easily while trying to hit an apex just right as you can pulled over on the shoulder somewhere..

Likewise, what's the point of living in thriving multicultural metropolis when you could just live in Winnpeg?