Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I hosted a viewing party for 202 and there were multiple people who don't watch MMA who experienced instant and violent hate upon seeing mike perry, and they had not even seen the weigh ins the day before.

They soon were acquainted with the cruel sense of humor of the MMA gods when Perry went on to destroy Lim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

nearly on par with condit / maia in terms of things i really wanted to see but never really thought about. it's a great and perfectly relevant fight for both of them.

I'd like to emphatically agree with this take on Nelson vs Kim

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Mike Perry is burnt out on meth c/d

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

conor got beat half to death in the third round. it was a combination of nate's insane pace in the third and conor's amazing bodywork (and footwork, lol) that caused nate to slow and mcgregor to catch his breath

If he got beat half to death how did he unambigiously win the next round by doing what he had done the entire fight (slaughter nate with counters at every range except slugging range)?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm rewatching Condit and Maia fights these past few days and it seems like Condit doesn't really have a good td defense and rather relies on being very active at the bottom and exploding out when he gets the chance. I don't think he can do that to Maia, so if he gets taken down he'll wear a human backpack for most of that fight.

Foul Fowl posted:

If he got beat half to death how did he unambigiously win the next round by doing what he had done the entire fight (slaughter nate with counters at every range except slugging range)?

Nate gassed and Conor got the Robbie Lawler second wind?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Foul Fowl posted:

literally explained in the paragraph you quoted

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Conor kicking the poo poo out of Nate's leg like you're supposed to do against Nate Diaz was much more important than anything about being conservative with his energy.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
i'm looking for .gifs of that ending flurry to see, but you guys probably already counted em:

how many punches does nate buzz mcgregor with/how grounded is he during that close range barrage against the fence?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm rewatching Condit and Maia fights these past few days and it seems like Condit doesn't really have a good td defense and rather relies on being very active at the bottom and exploding out when he gets the chance. I don't think he can do that to Maia, so if he gets taken down he'll wear a human backpack for most of that fight.

Nate gassed and Conor got the Robbie Lawler second wind?

Maia gasses hard even when he is in complete control of the fight. If he can't finish Condit then he's probably going to get smoked in the later rounds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Maia gasses hard even when he is in complete control of the fight. If he can't finish Condit then he's probably going to get smoked in the later rounds.

further, condit is loving exhausting to fight regardless of how 'in control' you are. this is not good for maia. maia sub r1 or 2, condit ko 3, 4 or 5. i cannot fathom it going the distance.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Marching Powder posted:

further, condit is loving exhausting to fight regardless of how 'in control' you are. this is not good for maia. maia sub r1 or 2, condit ko 3, 4 or 5. i cannot fathom it going the distance.

doesn't all the offense condit throws from his back mean he's very likely to present maia opportunities

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

doesn't all the offense condit throws from his back mean he's very likely to present maia opportunities

possibly. but condit, as a byproduct of being there for like 50% of his fights, has one of the best guards in the game and getting back to his feet is what he does. maia is on a different level to people on a different level though, and it's possible that he'll just take condit apart on the ground. i don't know. i don't even suspect that i know. that's why it's so fascinating to me.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

literally explained in the paragraph you quoted

my post disappeared because i'm in the underground but i really didn't think conor was hurt that bad. i haven't rewatched the fight though so i guess we just saw different things but conor kinda continued to beat up nate unimpeded so i guess i have a hard time seeing him that hurt.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Conor's boxing looked significantly better and his cardio still saw him in a fair bit of trouble.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

my post disappeared because i'm in the underground but i really didn't think conor was hurt that bad. i haven't rewatched the fight though so i guess we just saw different things but conor kinda continued to beat up nate unimpeded so i guess i have a hard time seeing him that hurt.

he was hurt bad enough that a judge gave it a 10-8 and there are an awful lot of people who agree with that. and by beat up i assume you mean took the forth round which was very, very close imo and then lose the fifth in everyone's opinion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Conor's boxing looked significantly better

i just can't really get behind this. what was better to me in this fight was the game plan. i posited this before but i think that whoever made the first move lost the exchange like 80% of the time due to them both being sick counter strikers. nate's best weapon is his 1-2 in attack and check hook on the counter. conor hacked nate's leg forcing nate to attempt to strike first for nearly 2 entire rounds using, you guessed it, the 1-2 which conor countered all day. as the fight wore on though, the complexion changed and then changed again.

god drat it was a sick fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Condit is also extremely good at cracking dudes and getting the gently caress outta dodge.

I agree maia is a puzzle but condit is much better at touch butt in the park than matt brown.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Marching Powder posted:

he was hurt bad enough that a judge gave it a 10-8 and there are an awful lot of people who agree with that. and by beat up i assume you mean took the forth round which was very, very close imo and then lose the fifth in everyone's opinion.

i'm rewatching the old gifs and while I think Conor took a lot of shots then he's got an iron chin and I can't tell if Diaz had enough energy to buzz him with shots, gonna rewatch round three

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

there's no way that round was a 10-8. and there's no way round 4 was 'very, very close'. i'm starting to think you have a dog in this race.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

there's no way that round was a 10-8. and there's no way round 4 was 'very, very close'. i'm starting to think you have a dog in this race.

no, i'm right, YOU'RE wrong!

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

If 3 is a 10-8, so is 1.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I scored rounds 1 to 5 209 motherfuckers

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

If 3 is a 10-8, so is 1.

that's bullshit for several reasons, most notably in the facet that the fight was never in any sort of danger of being stopped. that isn't to say the round was close, i don't know the stats but mcgregor outlanded diaz by a significant margin, but the damage he did to diaz was nowhere near fight ending and at all times there were two people in that fight.

in the third round, mcgregor did not just stop throwing attacks of his own, but he was being positionally bullied and had the poo poo beat the gently caress out of him to the point where if the fight was ever going to be stopped, it would have been there.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I dont think it was a particularly close fight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
sure except for the fact that conor was landing up until the last like 60 seconds whereas nate accomplished literally nothing in round 1

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

I dont think it was a particularly close fight

It was very close, like 3 rounds to 2.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

sure except for the fact that conor was landing up until the last like 60 seconds whereas nate accomplished literally nothing in round 1

if accomplishing nothing was the only criteria for a 10-8 then explain chris avila's scorecards

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

his definitions of 'close' differ drastically to normal people. i tried to get to the bottom of it once and couldn't. my advice would be to just accept it as a gimmick.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lloyd Boner posted:

Just because it was close doesnt mean it was close

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Hmmm so it was close.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

if accomplishing nothing was the only criteria for a 10-8 then explain chris avila's scorecards

is chris avila one of the judges? probably because nate landed a lot of punches in the last minute and it seemed like the moment when the fight was turning, same as everyone else who watched it live.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Close the thread IMO

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

1 and 2 were dominant rounds for Conor, they traded 3 and 4 and then 5 was very close but for Nate's late takedown. 3-2 Conor was extremely flattering to Nate who got beat up and knocked down 3 times, and the drawn scorecard was retarded.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i love how people think a knockdown in mma is automatic grounds for a 10-8 like in boxing and how if a guy doesn't get knocked down but gets the absolute poo poo beat out of him on the feet that it automatically isn't a 10-8 round.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I hope Handsome Carlo wins his fight and doesn't retire yet.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

i love how people think a knockdown in mma is automatic grounds for a 10-8 like in boxing and how if a guy doesn't get knocked down but gets the absolute poo poo beat out of him on the feet that it automatically isn't a 10-8 round.

it has nothing to do with knockdowns, i don't think either round was a 10-8 because neither had enough discrepancy in offense to merit it. sorry.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

it has nothing to do with knockdowns, i don't think either round was a 10-8 because neither had enough discrepancy in offense to merit it. sorry.

to be honest i'm ok with r3 being a 10-9, but if as a conor fan you can put your hand on your heart and say 'i'd be 1000% ok with that round going another 30 seconds, there was no way it would have been stopped' then hey, good for you, we perceive things differently. me? i'd say conor was saved by that bell, and i would probably have given it a 10-8 (have not rewatched it since live)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joe Rogan said on his podcast that Donald Cerrone is on next Tuesday (30th, I believe).

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
nelson/kim is cool as heck and i'll probably go if flights and tickets are reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

to be honest i'm ok with r3 being a 10-9, but if as a conor fan you can put your hand on your heart and say 'i'd be 1000% ok with that round going another 30 seconds, there was no way it would have been stopped' then hey, good for you, we perceive things differently. me? i'd say conor was saved by that bell, and i would probably have given it a 10-8 (have not rewatched it since live)

i don't think it would have but i have also not seen the fight again. so i guess we will reconfer after a second viewing to establish who Was Right and Is Cool.

e: also i am a fan of both and i really like that these fights have finally propelled nate into the position of the leading diaz brother.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 25, 2016

• Locked thread