Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Bacon Hat posted:

the preferred moveset for any high IV poke is to gently caress off and forget about it until the late 20s

you will get better poo poo over time as a function of being higher level. and if you think that 97 CP perfect whatever is special, gently caress yourself with it because youl get one twice as good in 2 levels

drat, youre still ever so stupid. Proven with each and every post wherin you demonstrate that you do not understand a fundamental gave mechanic. And you do so in such a pouty way.

Hint: Your level has poo poo all to do with IVs

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they'll ever fix that bug where a Pokemon in a gym doesn't die for like 5-10 seconds after its HP is empty. It's really loving me up when it comes to training up gyms, especially since the other Valors in the local area are constantly putting things of such a high IV that if I want to defeat them I have to go for something 300+ CP above and only get the pittance of experience

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Escobarbarian posted:

I wonder if they'll ever fix that bug where a Pokemon in a gym doesn't die for like 5-10 seconds after its HP is empty. It's really loving me up when it comes to training up gyms, especially since the other Valors in the local area are constantly putting things of such a high IV that if I want to defeat them I have to go for something 300+ CP above and only get the pittance of experience

That has hosed me over I can count on one hand probably but most of them have been friendly gyms, so every fight counts

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
You guys are going to rage so hard when Niantic unveils that you can only trade with people in your immediate vicinity. Mark my words

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

DapperDuck posted:

You guys are going to rage so hard when Niantic unveils that you can only trade with people in your immediate vicinity. Mark my words

I wouldn't expect anything other. It would be pretty stupid to trade remotely IMHO.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm hoping that when the player base drops off I'll have an easier time holding some gyms.

Comrade Koba posted:

If you rename your pokemon, does the custom name show up if you put it in a gym? I'm curious how the average casual player would react to seeing a Pidgeot named "15_8_13_SuboptimalMoveset" or something like that.

Sadly, when I put "nutsack" my exxeguctor in a gym, no one will see how hilarious I am.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Even reddit thinks this meme is played out just sayin

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I don't like about the appraise feature is that "It's stats are the best I've ever seen!" implied to me that it was literally the best one that I had. It's misleading and silly to use a relative qualifier like that. But I mean, I googled what it all means, so now it's not really a problem.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I've got a squad I'm happy with but I can't get everyone leveled because stardust is impossible to accrue this is hell. Only getting 100 per catch and a couple hundred to ~2000 per egg is garbage when you need 2500 at a pop lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

high level mons arent the be all end all. You need lower level mons for friendly gyms and a gang of ankle biters will take down a legendary eventually :shrug:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Cartouche posted:

I wouldn't expect anything other. It would be pretty stupid to trade remotely IMHO.

That would make the regionals really hard to get though, people would have to stock up for all their friends if they go out of the country, and if you don't know any international travelers, you're screwed.

Something where you could put up a Pokémon for trade (like put up a Tauros in exchange for either a specific regional or any one of the three) and get whatever when the trade is accepted just to fill the Pokedex/get candy, but then also do local trading if you care about moves, cp, ivs, etc. would be nice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

That would make the regionals really hard to get though, people would have to stock up for all their friends if they go out of the country, and if you don't know any international travelers, you're screwed.

Something where you could put up a Pokémon for trade (like put up a Tauros in exchange for either a specific regional or any one of the three) and get whatever when the trade is accepted just to fill the Pokedex/get candy, but then also do local trading if you care about moves, cp, ivs, etc. would be nice.

You make it sound like Niantic would actually want to makes things easier for us. Even local trade is incredibly exploitable.

This is a company that doesn't believe you should be allowed to take credit for leveling/capturing a gym

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

high level mons arent the be all end all. You need lower level mons for friendly gyms and a gang of ankle biters will take down a legendary eventually :shrug:

Yeah I'm not expecting to get them all to their cap, it's just that i have a lot in the 1000-1200 range that need some boosting. Training makes sense yeah

They've just made stardust a pain to get in bulk - getting some as a reward for training or maybe getting the cp value in dust when you trade would be nice.

E: in person trading was the purpose of the silph road right? Gonna be interesting to see how that holds up, if at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like they will avoid local trading because of the huge potential for people online to lure children to places with the promise of pokemon to trade. That's not a liability I would want if I was Niantic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
upgraded to the latest version of the live map and had to make a ptc account cause the guy removed google support for no reason. the second i logged into the map with this account it says "Possible Ban" and won't load anything. the account, which I made about five minutes ago, is fine and definitely not banned. gj map guy

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I just post there is a 2500 snorlax in my backyard. I am literally buried in 30 something nerds. I am running out of code red. Please send retainer elastics also.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Escobarbarian posted:

upgraded to the latest version of the live map and had to make a ptc account cause the guy removed google support for no reason. the second i logged into the map with this account it says "Possible Ban" and won't load anything. the account, which I made about five minutes ago, is fine and definitely not banned. gj map guy

PTC accounts require you to log in to the actual game on a phone or emulator to accept the TOS.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

the reason was that the google log in was hosed and would lose connection after a bit more than an hour. Did you actually catch your starter pokemon on the ptc account? Go do that first.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
derp I figured it out immediately after making my post if it helps

depressing that "PackItUpPackItIn" is one above the character limit for usernames

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Can't you use emoji ⬆️ in usernames?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

It's an annoying bug but IVs are used to calculate CP, i.e. two mons of the same species with the same CP are identical even if their IVs are different. So the difference between different mons of the same CP lies only in the distribution of stats.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm happy enough with the appraisal system that I can easily check whether a mon is top or bottom tier. I don't need to know it's exact stats to see if its worth putting dust and candy into. It's removed my need to check IVs through 3rd party sites.

Once they make a tracking system that isn't absolute garbage, I'll probably stop using desktop scanner. At least point me in the right direction Niantic! I spent 10 minutes walking around looking for a snorlax on my sightings and never found it before it despawned.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Has anyone else noticed spawns lasting longer than usual? I saw a Poliwhirl on the Sightings tab from my house but didn't want to go get it. My wife went and found it, and told me where it was. More than half an hour later, it was still on my sightIngs, even after restarts. So I went to check, and it was still there and I caught it. I bought nothing lasted more than 15 minutes previously?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It might have spawned twice, the other day I went out to catch a nido and an abra spawned near by, I caught both. When I got home, nido had despawned on the tracker, but a few minutes later, it spawned again, same thing happened with the abra.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ExplodingSquid posted:

What site/app are you using to get the IV's like those?

Pgnexus.gg

420 check exact IV's every day

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DrOgreface posted:

Has anyone else noticed spawns lasting longer than usual? I saw a Poliwhirl on the Sightings tab from my house but didn't want to go get it. My wife went and found it, and told me where it was. More than half an hour later, it was still on my sightIngs, even after restarts. So I went to check, and it was still there and I caught it. I bought nothing lasted more than 15 minutes previously?

It's a known bug, too

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Is the sort by hp function broken? Or is it sorting by who's at full health, because it's retarded? I want to see who has the highest max dammit

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jonesy posted:

Is the sort by hp function broken? Or is it sorting by who's at full health, because it's retarded? I want to see who has the highest max dammit

It is sorting by current HP. This is because that's all that matters when you're trying to pick someone for battling.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No it doesn't it sorts by cp but only ones with full hp. I want sorted by hp high to low.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I haven't started battling in earnest, so that makes sense. I just favorite my squad and/or max their cp and sort by that. Sorting by % would be good for picking who to throw into an empty slot I guess

E: yeah I agree with the dude above

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's cool if you like the stats aspect of the game, but gym battles are kinda boring rn, especially because the game is so ridiculously unbalanced but I'm frustrated because there are so many cool things you can do socially with a game that is so tied to physical location and those potentialities become less and less exciting the fewer people are playing.

For instance, gym battles are really loving cool when you have teammates and defenders actively fighting to take a gym and you trash talk and get a big rush from winning. It's significantly less fun when you solo a gym and it's immediately retaken by someone in a nearby apartment.
It's cool when a lure is set up and a crowd of people all get together and try to find rare mons and you talk to them and meet people you would have never ever met before. It's less cool when you're sitting inside tracking with your laptop then jump in your car to catch one of the only ten pokes worth fighting.

I love the social aspect of the game and have never used trackers myself but I've run into people at the park using trackers and sometimes we'll gather up a group and go look for something we never would have seen otherwise. That kind of fun isn't incompatible with third party tools.

Jonesy posted:

I haven't started battling in earnest, so that makes sense. I just favorite my squad and/or max their cp and sort by that. Sorting by % would be good for picking who to throw into an empty slot I guess

E: yeah I agree with the dude above

Why do you bother powering up if you're not even battling? I've seen other people do this and spend all their stardust and never fight gyms and I don't get it.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 25, 2016

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DrOgreface posted:

There are some pokes who will spawn, stay 15 minutes, then hide for 15 minutes, then show again for 15 minutes. If you catch it during the first window, you don't see it during the 2nd window.

Sounds utterly made up but apparently they have the same encounter_ID in the game file, and I usually trust reddit nerds who start spitting out variable names.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/4v0qf2/30min_spawns_aka_double_spawn_evidence_inside/

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's an annoying bug but IVs are used to calculate CP, i.e. two mons of the same species with the same CP are identical even if their IVs are different. So the difference between different mons of the same CP lies only in the distribution of stats.

The type of people who care about IVs also care about ~ultimate potential~ for when dueling becomes a thing. Higher IVs means that once you spend 100k stardust you will be 5% better than your opponents.

Since this is all about future potential for when it eventually matters, I suggest for common pokemon to just evolve the higher CP, and save your perfect IV pokemon to evolve later when it will actually matter. Since they're common pokemon, you'll be able to power up your high IV guy when dueling actually becomes a thing in no time.

For rare poo poo, yeah, don't waste your candy doing a non-optimal evolve right now since it will take months to save up for a 2nd evolve.

Edit: for instance, I just found out that I caught my first 100% pokemon ever, and it's Eevee. It's level 5 though, so according to this I would have to dump almost 100 candies in it to power it up to my current max. Instead, I will evolve my 4 highest CP eevees hoping to get 4 vaporeons who can do work in the meantime, and when dueling comes out I'll roll the dice on this one.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hatched nine 5k eggs in one go and got a Weezing, Dugtrio, and Poliwrath for my time. Pokedex on 108/110 now :)

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why do you bother powering up if you're not even battling? I've seen other people do this and spend all their stardust and never fight gyms and I don't get it.

I'm powering them up to battle with, that's why I haven't started in earnest yet. There's no other use for stardust beyond powering up your dudes, right?

Also because a couple of my higher iv dudes were underleveled, so like a dope I said "I'll just spend the stardust to bring them up to par" without realizing how much it takes :doh:

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 25, 2016

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Alan Smithee posted:

So what's everyone's uberoptimal strat for evolving while luggy egging? I named everything I wanted to evolve "evolve" and then after it evolved it was still named evolved so that poo poo slowed me down while sorting alphabetically.

A01, A02, A03...

I don't bother naming the Pidgey and Rattata.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I just favorite everything I want to evolve, and then unfavorite after I've evolved as I go. It doesn't add any real time to the process, I pulled 73k xp last time (maybe 3 - 5 new entries in the pokedex)

This also makes it easy to keep track of how many pidgey/weedles/etc I have to evolve, since you can just count the rows

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 25, 2016

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Snak posted:

I feel like they will avoid local trading because of the huge potential for people online to lure children to places with the promise of pokemon to trade. That's not a liability I would want if I was Niantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Jonesy posted:

I'm powering them up to battle with, that's why I haven't started in earnest yet. There's no other use for stardust beyond powering up your dudes, right?

Also because a couple of my higher iv dudes were underleveled, so like a dope I said "I'll just spend the stardust to bring them up to par" without realizing how much it takes :doh:

I understand that but why do it now? You could find high IV Pokemon at higher levels with better moves (especially considering the "best" moves are subject to change). If you actually battle first, you may find that you don't actually need to power them up, but the way you're doing it is putting the cart before the horse and burning up all your horse feed (in this analogy horse feed Is a much scarcer resource than it is IRL).

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm level 25, can take 10 gyms per night if I have time, and I've never needed to use stardust yet (I have like over 400.000). It's just very easy to attack gyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I understand that but why do it now? You could find high IV Pokemon at higher levels with better moves (especially considering the "best" moves are subject to change). If you actually battle first, you may find that you don't actually need to power them up, but the way you're doing it is putting the cart before the horse and burning up all your horse feed (in this analogy horse feed Is a much scarcer resource than it is IRL).

Oh, that's just the limitation of my strategy/autism. I have my arcanine with a good moveset and good enough (~90+) ivs, so i want him big and strong. Ditto my wigglytuff and vileplume and vapelord. I just hit 23, I figure I'm in a good position to start heavily loving with gyms (just haven't gotten out to them yet)

• Locked thread