Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Halloween rules and the aesthetic of semi cheap kid friendly spooky decor is incredibly fun. Makes me think of cool autumn days walking home from school in crunchy leaves.

Wiccan mom rules too, she sounds like she's found something that makes her really happy and fulfilled. We should all be so lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I know someone who got married on Halloween and her thing is 'We're the Adamses!!!!'. They are hitting 10 years together.

She's already begun the mega rampage of Facebook photos. It'll be MONTHS of this poo poo. MONTHS.

I used to love Halloween you guys. USED TO.

I too hate when my supposed friends demonstrate having a happy marriage ten years on. It's the worst!

Luckily I found Facebook's hide from feed feature.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Travis343 posted:

Halloween rules and the aesthetic of semi cheap kid friendly spooky decor is incredibly fun. Makes me think of cool autumn days walking home from school in crunchy leaves.

Wiccan mom rules too, she sounds like she's found something that makes her really happy and fulfilled. We should all be so lucky.
This is no place for positivity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Serperoth posted:

Also, make sure to avoid mentioning how the entire field would have started much later if Ada Lovelace had been more into knitting or something.

My IOSM-in-real-life:

My business partner and I do big-ticket contracts for people, which means lots of pitches and lots of planning meetings and lots of waiting for funding by whoever's big idea it is. We've recently had a string of potential leads, all projects based on ideas by women—women who all vaguely know each other as part of the social/professional circle of one particular well-connected lady, who recommended them all to me via our prior working relationship. And so far, three out of three of these projects have fizzled, due to some combination of failure to find funding, failure to plan or budget properly, or some general personal issue. Meanwhile projects we've been working on that are led by men result in prompt paychecks, promises that are followed up on, and genuine opportunities for further work.

To me, each one of these cases is completely isolated and has failed or succeeded on its own individual merits; but to my partner it's all just proof that women can't run businesses. "No dick, no deal :smug: "

There's no arguing against it, not if I want to keep things civil, especially since each of these cases are by their nature so different and comparing them is so unscientific. But if you're wired in such a way as to see the world as a series of broad categories of people, where you're basically profiling all the time just to give yourself an initial direction to jump when you meet a given person or situation, you're never going to be convinced by any amount of argument anyway. Either the examples you encounter support your prejudices, or they're wacky outliers (like Lovelace, or Grace Hopper) whose existence proves the rule. Or serves as the "my black friend who is a Trump voter" that someone can so easily hide behind.

There's only so much you can do with certain kinds of people (and of course here I'm generalizing just like he does, probably. No, none of this makes me feel good or confident in my own ability to handle prejudices at all)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

My mom is a Wiccan of some kind and she does that. She had this weird idea that a big grab bag of mystical stuff (I never ask details) were commonplace in modern Celtic countries and when I moved to Brittany (she lives in the States) this was one of the things she was excited to "confirm" to her Wiccan friends. She thinks Celtic languages are somehow more "in tune with magic" so she assumed that since I speak Breton I must have had magical business going on around me on a daily basis. She pretty frequently calls me with odd questions but she was really in rare form that night.

me: :confused:

her: :j:

:j: So, are you doing anything for Samhain?

:confused: Sorry, for what? (she had pronounced it like Sam Hane)

:j: *spells out Samhain*

:confused: Ah, Samhain. That's Irish for November, I guess I don't really understand the question?

:j: It's a Celtic festival, on that day the walls between this world and the other are thinner. Are any of your friends going to any ceremonies or rituals tonight?

:confused: Not that I'm aware of.

:j: Maybe it's because you're a foreigner and they think you wouldn't understand

:confused: I'm pretty sure most of my friends are going to Halloween parties or bars.

:j: They'll probably do it afterwards.

:confused: Sorry but I should probably go, I'm meeting some friends at the bar in a few minutes.

:j: Be careful going home afterwards, fairies will be out tonight and they can be dangerous.

:confused: Ok mom, talk to you later.

I love her to death but conversations like that are just exhausting.

My girlfriend is a serious Wiccan. We haven't even decided how we're spending Halloween, but it'll probably be going to some special Halloween event we enjoy like a Rocky Horror Picture Show viewing or this local interactive theatre thing we're fans of (the producers dropped hints of plans for a special thing around Halloween). She typically keeps her religious activity to private prayers and rituals or having a hunk of amethyst on the dresser next to our bed. Non-invasive stuff like that. She's actually got plans for really pretty decoration and an altar for when we get our own place, so I don't mind having her stuff around. I'd rather she put up plants and neat artwork and crystal displays than empty soda cans and receipts.

Generally you can identify a decent Wiccan by treating their religion like any other: if they start being annoying and shove it into every conversation or do weird ritualistic things in the middle of normal interaction, they're annoying. It's the difference between someone who maybe wears a cross necklace and prays to God before bed every night and someone who starts speaking in tongues at church and screaming at gay couples on the street.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

chitoryu12 posted:

My girlfriend is a serious Wiccan.

She sounds like her beliefs are actually genuine, instead of someone desperately trying to find a personality through interests and hobbies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fashionable Jorts posted:

She sounds like her beliefs are actually genuine, instead of someone desperately trying to find a personality through interests and hobbies.

At least a little of it probably has to do with being raised in an abusive Christian household, including some very horrifying cult stuff that I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss here. Her poor interactions with that religion are what drove her to more esoteric beliefs, and she's now an avowed Wiccan who also took some beliefs from LaVeyan Satanism. In some ways it's a rebellion from her childhood that gives her a way to take charge of her life and chart her own path away from her family, but she very firmly believes in it. I think a ton of young Wiccan people got into it not purely because of a need to "be different", but also because they've had bad experiences with major established religions and are rebelling against it.

One nice thing about is that she also didn't take the path of "My religion is the true one, gently caress Christians, gently caress the establishment" that you see in a lot of rebellious young witches. She accepts the good things that the major Abrahamic religions have done to help people and acknowledges their beliefs as valid. She doesn't kick up a fuss if someone genuinely offers to pray for her during hard times.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Travis343 posted:

For all the awkward conversations it causes I am really glad she found that, she's had a really rough life and the last 10 years or so since she's found Wicca have been some of her happiest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Travis343 posted:

I dunno, I'm okay with someone believing whatever dumb poo poo they want, but when they start to talk to others about said dumb poo poo it becomes a problem. Even if someone is the nicest person in the world, it puts other people in an awkward position if they start talking to them about some silly and/or wrong beliefs. It's sort of like how being a furry doesn't harm anyone, but no one else wants to hear about it (aside from other furries of course).

I think what makes Wiccanism dumber than other religions is the fact that it sells itself as (and most of its believers believe it to be) something practiced by actual ancient pagans or whatever, when that isn't remotely true. I can understand someone believing one of the major religions because there's at least a strong social framework and long history telling them "this is a reasonable thing to believe", but in the case of something like Wiccanism that framework doesn't exist and the history is often fabricated, so there isn't really that same excuse for people learning about it and thinking "yes, this is a reasonable thing to believe."

edit: I should add that it's not as bad if someone talks to you about something like this just once, but if you've already established that you don't share their beliefs it becomes rude and off-putting.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Aug 25, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I think what makes Wiccanism dumber than other religions is the fact that it sells itself as (and most of its believers believe it to be) something practiced by actual ancient pagans or whatever, when that isn't remotely true. I can understand someone believing one of the major religions because there's at least a strong social framework and long history telling them "this is a reasonable thing to believe", but in the case of something like Wiccanism that framework doesn't exist and the history is often fabricated, so there isn't really that same excuse for people learning about it and thinking "yes, this is a reasonable thing to believe."

it is annoying but unlike organized religions which have the weight of history and institutionalization behind them, Wicca is pretty up-front about how recent and fabricated everything is if you have even the barest critical reasoning skills. I kind-of like the practices because the scratch that mystical itch in a much more intuitive and harmless way than most religions while being fairly transparent about how bullshit the whole underlying process is.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Halloween is the one yearly event I put genuine effort into. I don't even really bother with Christmas, but every Halloween I make sure I finish work early so I can watch bad horror films and drink ridiculous themed cocktails before we go out.

I don't even want to imagine the kind of mind that would see an excuse for a weekend of hot girls and beer and think "oh no, not again".

I am a Halloween Hater who doesn't see the point of putting hours of effort into augmenting what in the end is an excuse to get drunk with our friends. Also I hate wearing costumes. Come at me bro.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
My birthday is on Halloween, and while I enjoy the holiday, I just hate the hype that everyone seems to have for it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

it is annoying but unlike organized religions which have the weight of history and institutionalization behind them, Wicca is pretty up-front about how recent and fabricated everything is if you have even the barest critical reasoning skills. I kind-of like the practices because the scratch that mystical itch in a much more intuitive and harmless way than most religions while being fairly transparent about how bullshit the whole underlying process is.

I understand how some people need some sort of mysticism in their lives, but Wicca is too specific, if that makes sense. Like, I can understand someone believing something really vague about spirits or God, but the more specific those sorts of beliefs get the more ridiculous they seem, especially if they don't have the weight of an old historical document behind them. Wiccans also often (though not always) actually believe magic exists as a thing people can do, which is a line that most major religions (or at least their adherents) tend not to cross.

I think that, as with that poster above, Wiccans often hold their beliefs as a sort of response to a fundamentalist Christian upbringing, and I wouldn't really try to argue with such a person because I can't fully understand their circumstances. But that doesn't really change the fact that I still find the beliefs pretty dumb and my opinion of a person's intelligence would definitely drop if I found out they were Wiccan.

Oh, one question related to this - do Wiccans tend to skew towards being women? It seems like most of the time I hear about people being Wiccans they tend to be women, but it's entirely possible that's just a coincidence. If it is true, I'm curious about why that might be the case.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

It does seem like a vast majority of Wiccans are women. It wouldn't be surprising if it's true, from my understanding there is a fair amount of female-empowerment built into the modern Wiccan beliefs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Wicca isn't explicitly martriarchal to my knowledge but is extremely supportive of feminine self-actualization and drawing on feminine sources of power like the Moon or what have you, and places those energies on a level equal if not above that of patriarchal/masculine energies. It would go along with Ytlaya's supposition that a lot of the harder Wiccans tend to come form more hardcore Christian backgrounds, which I support.

As for the whole "magick iz 4 reale" schtick of Wicca, I don't mind it because for the most part any practiced "magic" will be a placebo and any actual effects like "I want a car to hit my ex-husband" are not very likely to come to pass, and I think a lot of its practicioners understand that deep down but enjoy the ritual of burning sage bush and talking about a more verdant spiritual world than the desert folklore/ancient history mashup of Judeo-Christianity. I think I can see why it would bug someone, but it doesn't bother me unless the person is being pushy and obnoxious in the way that any spiritual/religious person can be.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Halloween is great because now that I can afford to do so, I get to hand out full-size candy bars at my house and still go out after and eat and drink with a bunch of friends. Being the full bar house is fun.

For actual content: a buddy of mine recently shared an image of a bumper sticker that says "I like my guns like democrats like their voters: undocumented." He recently moved to Southern Oregon and apparently sees it all the time :911:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Zipperelli. posted:

My birthday is on Halloween, and while I enjoy the holiday, I just hate the hype that everyone seems to have for it.

i knew a guy in high school whose birthday was on halloween. in the midst of normal high school conversation, he mentioned how this one time, it was halloween, a full moon, his birthday, AND friday the 13th all at once, and it was the greatest thing ever.

despite the fact that halloween can't take place on a friday the 13th :downsgun:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Guys, this guy has got it all figured out. He's cracked the Gay Agenda. Protocol Zion is in effect; please locate your assigned leatherdaddy and prepare for your mandatory sex change.

quote:

Below we see one FTM, Ms Ronald Reagan, her male "wife" Nancy, and her FELLOW FTM POPE JOHN PAUL II, yes it's only now I am cottoning on that ALL the Elite's agents HAVE to be gender reversed, as they all serve Baphomet the hermaphrodite demon, look at Ms John Paul's OVAL FEMALE JAW and female back curve

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Wicca isn't explicitly martriarchal to my knowledge but is extremely supportive of feminine self-actualization and drawing on feminine sources of power like the Moon or what have you, and places those energies on a level equal if not above that of patriarchal/masculine energies. It would go along with Ytlaya's supposition that a lot of the harder Wiccans tend to come form more hardcore Christian backgrounds, which I support.

As for the whole "magick iz 4 reale" schtick of Wicca, I don't mind it because for the most part any practiced "magic" will be a placebo and any actual effects like "I want a car to hit my ex-husband" are not very likely to come to pass, and I think a lot of its practicioners understand that deep down but enjoy the ritual of burning sage bush and talking about a more verdant spiritual world than the desert folklore/ancient history mashup of Judeo-Christianity. I think I can see why it would bug someone, but it doesn't bother me unless the person is being pushy and obnoxious in the way that any spiritual/religious person can be.

I don't get why Wiccans doing magic gets poo poo on when Christians praying gets a free pass. A lot of people are willing to tell a practicing witch "Yo, that poo poo doesn't work cause magic isn't real" but are a lot less willing to say the same to someone praying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't get why Wiccans doing magic gets poo poo on when Christians praying gets a free pass. A lot of people are willing to tell a practicing witch "Yo, that poo poo doesn't work cause magic isn't real" but are a lot less willing to say the same to someone praying.

A couple reasons:

1. Praying isn't some actual system that is supposed to give reliable results (usually*). It's just asking God to do you a favor. Magic implies that there's some mechanism through which a person casting it will have a concrete result.

2. A religion like Christianity has the bonus of wide social acceptance, and it's natural (and not entirely irrational) for people to find something more believable if it's been believed by a great number of people throughout history.

For an exaggerated example of this, if I suddenly told you that some bizarre sounding supernatural thing was true you'd probably immediately think that I'm wrong. But if a large number of people, including people centuries in the past, believed the same thing, you might at least think the idea is worth consideration, even if you don't believe it. And this is actually pretty reasonable - while it's wrong to believe something just because other people do, it's pretty reasonable to consider something at least somewhat more credible and worth examination if many people believe it already.

*Obviously you have some Christians who believe in stuff like prayer reliably healing illnesses, and I would agree that prayer healing is just as dumb as Wicca magic.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Aug 25, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

People are used to prayer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

History + Institutionalization

We've got 1500 years on the outside of Christianity being the dominant religion in Western Society, and a hard dominant at that. Plus Christianity goes out of its way to discourage tangible results from prayer.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Senf posted:

Southern Oregon

Oof, say no more.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I don't really care either way, I just hate that my feed is FULL of it for MONTHS.

Also, the Adamses and The Munsters are just The Cleavers dressed in black. The shows even had the same plot points, just all "spooky'ed out for the 'creepy' families. In the end the whole point is they were a normal goshdang family like everyone else.

That's a good thing though? "Hey, that family who on the outside are strange and frightening to us actually have solid family values and morals and a strong support network." Teaching the average TV viewer that the weird family down the street might not be such bad people after all seems like a better use of prime time than the wacky antics of yet another fat doofus husband and his implausibly hot (but shrill and nagging) wife.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

History + Institutionalization

We've got 1500 years on the outside of Christianity being the dominant religion in Western Society, and a hard dominant at that. Plus Christianity goes out of its way to discourage tangible results from prayer.

iiiiiit depends on the breed of Christianity. A bunch of the Evangelical types are all about claiming that prayer will get visible results. The trick is, you have to do it hard enough or it won't work.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Senf posted:

Halloween is great because now that I can afford to do so, I get to hand out full-size candy bars at my house and still go out after and eat and drink with a bunch of friends. Being the full bar house is fun.

You're doing god's work and will be remembered as a local legend/hero, though not by name, by every kid in your neighborhood :cheers:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So this is on my timeline right now.

If you go to that page, every other post is something along the same lines.

Jesus loving christ. I realize this type of stuff is par for the course for Like farming but this poo poo is so slimy and cynical it genuinely makes me feel gross.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My husband thinks I'm a hideous deformed monster. Prove him wrong by commenting AMEN

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

dijon du jour posted:

Jesus loving christ. I realize this type of stuff is par for the course for Like farming but this poo poo is so slimy and cynical it genuinely makes me feel gross.

"Please help I am becoming more and more disabled with each post"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

dijon du jour posted:

How did the chick with no arms write the post?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

Helper monkey.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

While I get the first 3, is the last one photoshop? I don't know why but it looks fake, but maybe that's the lighting...

oldpainless posted:

Mouth

oldpainless? more like oldarmless

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My only problem with Wicca is when it starts clouding people's perception of the old religions, like the posts in this thread trying to say that Roman paganism was female-friendly until Christianity came along with all its male dominance.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think Cesar might be trying to see how far he can go with it before people stop posting sympathy. Eventually he'll just be posting like Looney Tunes-style disembodied lips and he'll still be getting posts "hey you are beautiful I bet you sing real good."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

oldpainless posted:

Very carefully.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Taken without context from a Facebook comment section:

quote:

When they come to put you in a concentration camp, remember where your dildo got you...
The UN is poised to come in and squash the American populace, because they know that our own military will not do what the President wants... Martial Law is coming...
The only reason it hasn't happened yet, is because we have the means to protect ourselves. ...
Like I said... remember where your dildo got you, when the time comes

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I'm glad that morons are still upset that Bundies and their pals got shat on

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Actually this one is about the protest at a Texas university where people are open-carrying dildos in response to concealed-carry being allowed on campus now. "Cocks not Glocks" is their headline.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Byzantine posted:

My only problem with Wicca is when it starts clouding people's perception of the old religions, like the posts in this thread trying to say that Roman paganism was female-friendly until Christianity came along with all its male dominance.

They're also more likely to be into those home-remedies/no medicine kinda things. My friend did that whole candlewax ear cleansing thing and dear god when I looked up what could have gone wrong with hot candlewax falling into his ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.

Ytlaya posted:

A couple reasons:

1. Praying isn't some actual system that is supposed to give reliable results (usually*). It's just asking God to do you a favor. Magic implies that there's some mechanism through which a person casting it will have a concrete result.

not to contribute to a derail but Wiccan "magic" is essentially you asking the gods for a favor as well. it just has ritual and symbolism added to on to it. and a lot of Christianity believes very strongly that prayer = concrete results, even if nothing happens. asked God to help you and he didn't? well, that just means he said no, silly!