Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Katrina car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This made a noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7XX51S8XQM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I did that once by accident while learning to drive and a freeze plug immediately blew out (from water pump overspeed I assume) and dumped all the coolant. Luckily no other damage.

e: okay, not quite as bad. He says he's in 6th gear and drops to 2nd at 150km/h (95mph). I was going more like 55 and shifted from 5th to 2nd.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Of course it's a Renault, no great loss at least :v: The Megane we had at work had a sketchy shifter. Going into first instead of third or third instead of fifth from fourth was common, luckily I always managed to back off before releasing the clutch.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MrYenko posted:

"Watch what happens when I pour jello chocolate pudding mix into an RX7!"

Someone took "floating a biscuit outta my tailpipe" literally and poured Bisquick in the crankcase

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AGNa8-4ss

Oil is green right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wouldn't it be super cool if oil was neon green though?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Sure, as long as we made coolant literally any other color.

Naturally though, you know even if oil was that green, we'd have ended up with green coolant anyways. :negative:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
:allears:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

So this begs the question: Which part generally explodes when you hydrolock a rotary engine?

Comedy answers are probably related to "x in, apex seals out"

Hydrolocking a rotary is a weeeeeeeee bit difficult to start with. The absolute worst possible is break a seal - everything else will be quite fine. I've belted a river crossing and injested, all it did was splutter and and fart until the plugs cleared..... I'm not actually sure a piston style hydrolock could even happen come to think of it, incoming water for instance would be more likely to go straight back out the exhaust. Certainly I've never really heard of anything more than difficulty in restarting if a rotary injests water.

LaF's pic is a flood car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not really a horrible mechanical failure, but the power-regulator cap (C14 below) blew on my Honda ECU, as 25 year old Honda ECUs are wont to do.

Totally non-obvious from basic inspection, had to remove it to see.

It looks like it poo poo down one of its legs and ate up the traces beneath.

Symptoms were non-start, solid CEL with no fuel pump, and measuring only around 0.3V at the MAP sensor 5V reference line.

Gonna replace the entire set of caps and chip the ECU while I'm in there.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I miss the pre surface mount days. So much easier to fix stuff.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What happened to C15?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

What happened to C15?

I removed it to see if it was also hosed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I felt like such a boss replacing the caps on my 2008 era Samsung. Wife was shopping around online fretting about the cost of replacing it and I was all "stand aside woman, this feeling of saving the day is what men live for!"

Did some quick googling to find the right capacitors, bought em from Fry's, and spent half an hour doing the actual work. Four years later the TV is still humming strong.

So yeah, gently caress surface mount.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

xzzy posted:

So yeah, gently caress surface mount.

I dunno, surface mount is pretty doable by hand, too. The only stuff I motherfuck having to deal with is BGA; gently caress cracked solder balls. Even if you reflow it, the problem will often come back anyway.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Raluek posted:

I dunno, surface mount is pretty doable by hand, too. The only stuff I motherfuck having to deal with is BGA; gently caress cracked solder balls. Even if you reflow it, the problem will often come back anyway.

Really depends on the kind of SMD, but mobile phone parts are loving tiny.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've only ever managed to make a huge mess out of it. The bits are just too tiny for my clumsy fingers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SEKCobra posted:

Really depends on the kind of SMD, but mobile phone parts are loving tiny.

I can freehand 0402s, but I can't do anything smaller. Really the problem with cellphone stuff isn't the size of the parts so much as the density of the parts. But get some good magnification (stereo microscope, ideally), some good tweezers, and a hot air rework station, and you might surprise yourself how doable a lot of that stuff is.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Raluek posted:

I can freehand 0402s, but I can't do anything smaller. Really the problem with cellphone stuff isn't the size of the parts so much as the density of the parts. But get some good magnification (stereo microscope, ideally), some good tweezers, and a hot air rework station, and you might surprise yourself how doable a lot of that stuff is.

You literally pointed out right here why SMD work is annoying, because having to set up (and buy) a microscope and hot air soldering station is a huge hassle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cojawfee posted:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Now I just really want to know what it looks like when that gets mixed with coolant.

Milkshake?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The future is now.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

literally a fish posted:

Now I just really want to know what it looks like when that gets mixed with coolant.

Milkshake?

Get the red coolant! Christmas in the car when things go right, and then the oil turns brown if things go wrong

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

literally a fish posted:

Milkshake?

Clearly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SEKCobra posted:

You literally pointed out right here why SMD work is annoying, because having to set up (and buy) a microscope and hot air soldering station is a huge hassle.

Low‐melt solder (ChipQuik is the name brand) works pretty well in the absence of a hot air station.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Technosynthese is one of those words that sounds all futuristic now, but terribly, terribly dated in a few years.

c.f. '-omatic' from the 50s

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

Get the red coolant! Christmas in the car when things go right, and then the oil turns brown if things go wrong

hah! I run 300v in the moto and toyota red for coolant. Yeah p much this. Motul also smells rather pleasant.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

hah! I run 300v in the moto and toyota red for coolant. Yeah p much this. Motul also smells rather pleasant.

Zerex Asian Vehicle Formula works quite well and is also red/pink too. Only comes in 50/50 premix though.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cojawfee posted:

Saw this earlier on faceballs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AGNa8-4ss

(Yes it would look cool)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Literally the video that started this discussion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Saw this earlier on faceballs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AGNa8-4ss

(Yes it would look cool)

That video is on this page.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

Literally what I was gonna say. I can do 0201s but they are a cast iron bitch and I expect to lose a few before getting one placed right.

Anything with pads on the bottom (bga, dfn, qfn, wlcsp, et al) can take a flying gently caress at a blender.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Why let the oil pan have all the fun?

https://youtu.be/jM-WcvGW3pc

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

NoWake posted:

Why let the oil pan have all the fun?

https://youtu.be/jM-WcvGW3pc

:catbert:
How in the actual gently caress?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Door Frame posted:

VW managed to get coolant in to the tail lights. At least the intercooler's on the right end of the vehicle. It's progress.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

All I can think is water cooled turbo?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

the spyder posted:

All I can think is water cooled turbo?

Bingo, B5 S4 with water cooled turbos. I always thought turbos were 'cooled' + lubed with oil direct from the sump.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Pretty much every production car with a turbo for the last few decades has had a water-cooled turbo as if they arrange the cooling system correctly then water will siphon through the turbos even with the water pump off thanks to convection, cooling the turbos down even after you shut the car off, thereby negating the need for a turbo timer.

You can also just not beat on the car for the last couple miles but where's the fun in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Mercury Ballistic posted:

What, you don't have a surface mount machine in the lab at your office? :smug: