Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Iron Crowned posted:

Those really were the best uniforms

Except for the coffee filter collars on the undershirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Volcott posted:

Except for the coffee filter collars on the undershirts.

Thoe were the best part you dolt

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Are there ever vulcan captains of ships, or is it just a matter of having human captain, high-functioning autist backup, on basically every ship? Is data just an attempt to make less horny stand-ins for vulcans?

More importantly, why do I care enough to ask?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vulcan is the planet of the Autisim? It all makes sense now!

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

lenoon posted:

Are there ever vulcan captains of ships, or is it just a matter of having human captain, high-functioning autist backup, on basically every ship? Is data just an attempt to make less horny stand-ins for vulcans?

Vulcan captains would be a terrible idea, they would either be venting 49% of the crew at the first sign trouble or be sat in engineering getting the self destruct ready.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Triggered posted:

Vulcan captains would be a terrible idea, they would either be venting 49% of the crew at the first sign trouble or be sat in engineering getting the self destruct ready.

sounds like the complaints about a woman captain when voyager was new

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

lenoon posted:

Starfleet is a mostly human organization. Vulcan ships are probably similar, Vulcan captain mostly Vulcan crew and a smattering of (probably constantly borderline suicidal) members of other species.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Any human serving on a Vulcan ship is constantly fantasizing about venting atmosphere after three months tops. Occasionally a human has to be teleported to the brig because he starts ranting about the ship being "too loving hot and full of goddamn Vulcans" while eyeing the atmosphere control panel.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, but you'd still take a job on a Vulcan ship just in the hopes you'd be serving during a mass Pon Farr outbreak.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wonder if all the Vulcans on a Vulcan-only ship have their pon farrs synchronize after a while. That would be one crazy weekend.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

sounds like the complaints about a woman captain when voyager was new

Janeway had a full catalogue of terrible decisions, anyone else would have made a better captain. Chipotle, Kim, guy who got busted in Starfleet academy, the doctor, guy who killed saruman. Even Neelix would have made a better captain.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Vulcan Captain - "Sorry Human, you enlisted for the wrong ship. That ship over there is scheduled to have a Pon Farr outbreak in the next few weeks. This ship is only planning to have a Jamie Farr outbreak."

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I was thinking it would be pretty cool to work on a Vulcan ship but yeah you're right the heat thing. I bet it's like working with a ship full of those horrible women in every office that pitch a fit all summer about how it's freezing just because the AC is blowing a temperature below 80.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There are definitely Vulcan-captained starfleet ships, and in fact there was a Starfleet ship populated entirely by Vulcans in DS9.

They kicked Sisko's rear end at baseball.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dammit spock stop messing with the thermostat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

worf is the coolest starfleet guy because he gives a poo poo and actually had to work to get there

e: remember how in the end of star trek nemesis wesley shows up in a starfleet uniform guess that whole magical traveler thing didnt work out

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

corn in the bible posted:

worf is the coolest starfleet guy because he gives a poo poo and actually had to work to get there

e: remember how in the end of star trek nemesis wesley shows up in a starfleet uniform guess that whole magical traveler thing didnt work out

Really either Wes wasn't smart enough to hack life with the demigods or he aged out of the traveler's boner demographic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Or nemesis was just horribly written by people who didn't know startrek at all and just tossed him in a uniform because they sort of remember him in a uniform during the show.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are definitely Vulcan-captained starfleet ships, and in fact there was a Starfleet ship populated entirely by Vulcans in DS9.

They kicked Sisko's rear end at baseball.

I always thought it was funny that the Vulcan captain was outwardly racist to everyone and Sisko was the only one calling him out on it their entire Starfleet careers.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
GUYS THERE'S A GODDAMN CANON ANSWER AND IT'S IN THE BASEBALL EPISODE OF DEEP SPACE NINE. Someone already got to this before me, god damnit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Baronjutter posted:

Or nemesis was just horribly written by people who didn't know startrek at all and just tossed him in a uniform because they sort of remember him in a uniform during the show.

Which is all the more bewildering because apparently Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart both contributed to the story. Which they probably should not have been allowed to do.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

HD DAD posted:

Which is all the more bewildering because apparently Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart both contributed to the story. Which they probably should not have been allowed to do.
All those deleted scenes in Nemesis with naked Remans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

at the end of the dax trial episode her old lover says

LIVE A LONG LIFE FOR ME, JADZIA

well........

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Whats the point of the symbiote if it doesn't make you smarter? They double up on brains but dont seem to see any boost to their intelligence.

Trill should be dominating the galaxy but they seem to spend their time being mediocre officers in star fleet. Dax seems to be one of the most important trill but they get posted to a lovely space station next to a planet full of cowards.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Triggered posted:

Whats the point of the symbiote if it doesn't make you smarter? They double up on brains but dont seem to see any boost to their intelligence.

Trill should be dominating the galaxy but they seem to spend their time being mediocre officers in star fleet. Dax seems to be one of the most important trill but they get posted to a lovely space station next to a planet full of cowards.

maybe they just told dax she was important so she'd go away and stop seducing politicians all the time

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baronjutter posted:

I think in the original script, Wesley steps out of the Traveler's windowless van an alternate dimension, expecting a Betazoid wedding and dressed approrpiately (i.e. starkers). Since it was like two minutes before the wedding started, they handed him the only formalwear they had lying around, a starfleet dress uniform.

So they kind of explained it, a little, but it was one of the many things that ended up on the cutting room floor in favor of more Remans.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i have heard ds9 ends with sisko turning into a magical space god, can i just say gently caress that that's retarded thanks

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Triggered posted:

the peak of a Trill is the 2nd or 3rd symbiote before they get too much memory / ability. Once you get up to 5-10 they are crippled by severe nostalgia and their every thought and sentence is dedicated to "You remember the time......"

It's like an Onion article I read one time about WW2 where it was like "Massive Casualties at Normandy today as soldiers immediately start reminiscing about the battle, deploying strategic rocking chairs and corncob pipes to wistfully remember the machine gun fire as it was happening"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

i have heard ds9 ends with sisko turning into a magical space god, can i just say gently caress that that's retarded thanks

Nope, he just goes to hang out with some wormhole aliens for a little bit. The writers wanted that to be forever, but he said no loving way is a show about a black single father going to end with him abandoning his kid and fought hard against that. So instead he says he'll just be gone a little while, at least from our perspective (NONLINEAR TIME STUFF).

I mostly feel bad for Kira and Odo, but I guess odo has his work cut out for him spending the next century teaching those idiots not to be reactionary racists against anyone not made of goop.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

That's not what happens

He kills a spacegod :black101:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im gonna watch enterprise, ive never seen anything but the pilot

i just want scott bakula :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Actually, you really don't

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

contrary to a lot of opinions, enterprise is good, especially seasons 3 and 4. The first two seasons are no worse than any other of the modern trek's initial stumblings.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It had a lot of potential until it puked 9/11 all over itself.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Here is your cheat sheet, since it is a prequel

Shields = Hull Plating
Phasers = Phase Cannons
Torpedos = Literal Torpedos
Decontamination = Done by sensuously rubbing gel on each other with slow pans over any ladies hot bodies*
Tucker = Texas Accent yet from Florida (He gets cloned and the child sounds like a baby cowboy)
Food = Doesn't come from replicators, it comes from a kitchen that remains 100% fully stocked at all times no matter what happens or how much time passes. First human warp 5 ship going further into unknown space than anyone? Entering a dangerous region of space on a military mission where you are under constant attack and have no way to re-supply? At least there are steak dinners, cakes and pies on constant display.
Show = Bad

* I thought the decon gel thing was just a joke from the first couple times they did it, but nope. Season 3 T'pol and Phlox are stuck in the chamber and Phlox is talking about some disease while the camera zooms in on T'Pols belly button and you watch her rub inside her waistband / her legs. That's more transparent than 7 of 9 being eye candy.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 25, 2016

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You just need to have faith

Faith of the Heart

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also there is a dog, dogs are bad

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

They knew they were going into that zone where they would be stuck indefinitely. Probably just filled a shuttle bay floor to ceiling with Hungry Man dinners and vented atmosphere.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Decontamination Procedures

1. Undress to your strategic gray underwear, or wear your issued Sanitation Thong, lighting will be set to Blue Mood standard
2. Open the jar of Decontamination Jelly
3. Lovingly rub yourself and your crewmates all over
4. Specially tuned audio waves will interact with the Decontamination Jelly, for convenience it has been made to resemble soft-jazz
5. The Sterilization Rod will descend from the ceiling, use this opportunity to prevent muscle soreness from the Jelly by either stretching with the Sterilization Rod or mutual massage
6. Prevent nerve cluster inflammation by softly kissi-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Also there is a dog, dogs are bad

The episode where Phlox was hallucinating and almost phasered porthos would have been much better if he actually phasered porthos.

Make the B plot about him cloning a new beagle with that desert larvae plot device thing.

Archer wakes up "Porthos! You look younger! that Nebula must have done wonders for you!"
*frozen dog bounces off of shuttlepod as they inspect the ship for damage*