Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

theflyingorc posted:

Assuming Rasmussen's off by the ~4 points we assume they are, doesn't this mean there's a very real chance of the Democrats taking the house? She needs like +9/+10 to take it, right? And she's at 7/8?

http://election.princeton.edu/house-polling-margin/ not really, at least not yet. My cynicism is strong so I suspect nothing good will happen for the House, but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

emdash posted:

http://election.princeton.edu/house-polling-margin/ not really, at least not yet. My cynicism is strong so I suspect nothing good will happen for the House, but who knows

I mean, that's showing it currently in the "who knows" no mans land, doesn't it?

I'm not saying it will happen, but it really sounds like it's bordering on possible.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Assuming Rasmussen's off by the ~4 points we assume they are, doesn't this mean there's a very real chance of the Democrats taking the house? She needs like +9/+10 to take it, right? And she's at 7/8?

Trying to predict the house is basically dark magic at this point.

With normal voting patterns, I usually see between +8 and +10 as the conventional wisdom.

Meanwhile Trump is awful with the typically reliable GOP bloc of White Women and candidates across the country are having to thread the needle between still getting Trump Supporters without pissing off White Women and other traditional establishment R groups. Additionally, many states sought to dilute Hispanic voting power by spreading it between districts during the 2010 redistricting process... the same group that has grown markedly since that time, and are reportedly registering in mass numbers and expected to have unprecedented turnout.

I sincerely doubt "What if we lose white women?" was factored into the redistricting, which gives the Democrats slightly more than a snowball's chance for grabbing the House. A ton of it is now on the shoulders of Hillary and the DCCC, but they have an uphill battle given the district lines and the fact that major conservative donors have been taking money they'd earmarked for the presidency and spending it downticket.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You can have for-profit healthcare with heavy market restrictions, you know.

For how long?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Shifty Pony posted:

It isn't that it costs significantly more to make a non-CFC inhaler, it is that you have to get every formulation approved by the FDA and that costs a poo poo-ton and takes forever. That limits the number of competitors in the market leading to those that are there charging gently caress-you prices. You'd think that the high prices would incentivize other manufacturers to get in but they don't because they know that the existing manufacturer can drop prices at will as they already made back the FDA costs.

The FDA is really gun shy about generics and especially for drugs with particular delivery mechanisms. There have been several cases recently where a generic has not worked like the name brand because of a seemingly inconsequential change. For example a particular generic sustained release Wellbutrin actually released the drug in a matter of a couple hours instead of over the course of a day.

Which really just proves that pricing is artificially inflated and set only at the nexus of maximum pain for the consumer and maximum profit for the company.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

theflyingorc posted:

Retaking the house would be very difficult because of the raw hurdles. But even cutting deeply into their margin could make Paul Ryan more willing to cut the tea party loose on some things (like Budget).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mattavist posted:

For how long?

The majority of healthcare systems aren't completely state controlled. They're in fact the minority.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

iospace posted:

4 OH FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR

Anyway

Moment of left wing adoration for Beck over, time to hate him again:
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/768812233556099072

You can't really sue/collect damages from imaginary people though

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

emdash posted:

Because of the gerrymandering at the House level and how incurably red so many red states are, I could see an outcome where the EC margin is "only" ~347-191 and the Republicans easily keep the House - but the popular vote gap approaches the magic 60-40 split typically associated with "electoral cataclysm" losses like 1964 and 1972.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

McAlister posted:

If Facebook has an IPO ( initial public offering ) and Adam buys stock then Adam gives money to Facebook which they use. But when Adam sells that stock to Brenda Facebook gets no money. Adam gets the money only. Brenda now receives dividends from Facebook even though she didn't give Facebook a single cent. If the bill and Melinda gates foundation buys the stock from Brenda they likewise become people who take money away from Facebook without having put any money into Facebook.
Buying on the secondary market still drives up the price of the stock, which can benefit the company as a whole in certain cases, and definitely is better for the c-level sociopaths running it (assuming they own a lot of stock or are paid in stock, which is often the case). I agree with you overall and it's not as great a benefit as it would be buying on the primary market (i.e. in an IPO), but you should not discount the benefit to zero, either.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/768814174973595649

checkmate, libtards

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Retaking the house would be very difficult because of the raw hurdles. But even cutting deeply into their margin could make Paul Ryan more willing to cut the tea party loose on some things (like Budget).
Wouldn't that make the Tea Party folks more prominent in the House, though? I'm assuming they tend to come from redder and safer districts, and so a wave election would see them making up a greater proportion of the GOP caucus. In that case Paul Ryan might find himself cut loose, not the other way around.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also keep in mind that this election is going to test how much a lack of GOTV operations actually hurts you. The polls aren't accounting for the fact that Trump's campaign isn't running a tradition GOTV effort and probably won't be as up to speed with things like having volunteers drive people to polling locations.

I also think turnout will be depressed as the harsh reality that Trump can't actually win starts to hit in late October. I think these factors combined leads to Trump losing even worse than projected, and maybe in my dream scenario, we retake the House.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

We talk about this everytime it comes up, but UHC does not require full state control to work. We're also talking about three different parts of the healthcare system: medical care (hospitals and doctors), ancillary medical services (medical devices and pharmaceuticals), and health insurance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trump is operating on a completely different plane of reality.
Which is to say, the plane that is crashing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WampaLord posted:

I also think turnout will be depressed as the harsh reality that Trump can't actually win starts to hit in late October.
Trump voters are not exactly known for their strong grasp of the really real, however harsh.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

WampaLord posted:

Also keep in mind that this election is going to test how much a lack of GOTV operations actually hurts you. The polls aren't accounting for the fact that Trump's campaign isn't running a tradition GOTV effort and probably won't be as up to speed with things like having volunteers drive people to polling locations.

I also think turnout will be depressed as the harsh reality that Trump can't actually win starts to hit in late October. I think these factors combined leads to Trump losing even worse than projected, and maybe in my dream scenario, we retake the House.

B-b-but the silent majority!!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This actually makes a lot of Trump's contradictory statements make a lot of sense, if you assume his message hasn't changed but his words have. For example:

Trump Statement 1: "Mexicans are bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists"
Trump Statement 2: "I love Hispanics!"

The logical conclusion based on Pearson's logic that the message hasn't changed but the words have is that Donald Trump loves criminals and rapists. Considering his past relationships with Mark Foley and that billionaire pedophile whose name I can't remember, this conclusion makes perfect sense.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kaleedity posted:

does that account for why the same inhalers that cost hundreds of dollars in the states go for less than twenty dollars in europe (2013 article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/us/the-soaring-cost-of-a-simple-breath.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

Glad I didn't live in the US growing up.
All my family have asthma, 4 brothers. And we went through 3-4 inhalers a week as kids.
gently caress, even now I can dander into a pharmacy and get one for 10 euros.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

emdash posted:

Rasmussen national 4-way: Clinton +4, a 2-point swing toward Clinton from a week ago

loving Rasmussen has Clinton up by 4?! Boy oh boy :allears:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Trump voters are not exactly known for their strong grasp of the really real, however harsh.

The die-hards? Sure, they're life mission is to vote for Trump, but they're a minority of a minority. Your average Republican who isn't a Trump fanatic will listen to polls, will start to get depressed, and a significant number of them will go "Eh, why bother voting, Hillary's gonna win anyway."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/25/12639010/epipen-mylan-allergy-treatment-hillary-clinton

Mylan will be making the drug more affordable, and this is a right-direction step, but it won't solve their PR problem nor does it go far enough.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

This actually makes a lot of Trump's contradictory statements make a lot of sense, if you assume his message hasn't changed but his words have. For example:

Trump Statement 1: "Mexicans are bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists"
Trump Statement 2: "I love Hispanics!"

The logical conclusion based on Pearson's logic that the message hasn't changed but the words have is that Donald Trump loves criminals and rapists. Considering his past relationships with Mark Foley and that billionaire pedophile whose name I can't remember, this conclusion makes perfect sense.

Trump is like a one-man Baron of Munchhausen game gone horribly horribly wrong.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah drug prices are insane , my medication is 9000 dollars without prescription coverage. Prescription prices are a poverty trap for persons with disabilities just like we can't get married in some instances because we would die without the Medicaid coverage.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

It's true, though, on grounds of Trump not actually having anything besides words.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/25/12639010/epipen-mylan-allergy-treatment-hillary-clinton

Mylan will be making the drug more affordable, and this is a right-direction step, but it won't solve their PR problem nor does it go far enough.

They'll just raise the price of something else, like that old Carmax commercial where the guy squeezed the balloon to show how car prices work

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

These articles about GOP out performing Dems in registering new voters down here in FL is concerning. We have a grand total of one statewide elected Democrat (Bill Nelson) and that's with a Democratic edge in voter registration. What I have no idea is that if this is just typical FL Dem incompetence or if people are actually enthused enough about Trump to actually get off their rear end and go vote for him.

538 actually had a piece on this yesterday:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-voter-registration-gains-probably-arent-gains-at-all/

quote:

Examining the trends in these states under a microscope reveals that what’s happening is more a mix of party switching, natural replacement and removal of inactive Democratic voters from the rolls than a feverish Trump effort to expand the electorate. And in the Politico piece mentioned earlier, Ben Schreckinger acknowledges that Democrats have made voter registration gains recently in Arizona, Colorado and Nevada, all formerly GOP-leaning western states with fast-growing Latino populations.

There’s no doubt Trump compelled hundreds of thousands of conservative voters to switch their registrations to Republican to vote for him in closed primaries, accelerating these voters’ exodus from formal Democratic affiliation. But do they constitute a surge of new November voters? Not so much. It’s likely that most of these party switchers were already voting Republican.

Edit:

quote:

Helpfully, Florida also breaks down its registration tallies by race — and that breakdown tells a far different story. Since November 2012, Florida has added a net 436,484 voters to its rolls. Hispanics have accounted for 55 percent of this net growth, and overall, nonwhites have accounted for 76 percent. In other words, most voters who are truly new to Florida’s electorate belong to demographic groups that are generally hostile to Trump.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

They'll just raise the price of something else, like that old Carmax commercial where the guy squeezed the balloon to show how car prices work

My guess is that won't be the case ;)

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yep and debating the 90s is not good politics. Part of her philosophy I was reading here is she cares little for cultural or social abstracts.

It's not "debating the 90's" if we're discussing major policies that in many (most?) cases are still in place.

Gyges posted:

She's saying that she agrees that many of the policies enacted in the 90s had unintentional consequences and, in hindsight, were actually bad policies in and of themselves.

Is she saying that, or are you saying that? I would say that she is demonstrably not saying that, that she is going out of her way to not say that, while giving very content-free lip-service that can be vaguely interpreted as that. That's concerning. Ya'll are being too generous with these answers.

Lightning Knight posted:

The most important part of her statement was when she straight up said, I can change policy, not people's minds. Tell me what you need, what the black community needs. I'm a white person and I need to hear from black people what they want, and I will try to do it. That's what we need. What she once did is less important than what she will do, and what she's offering to do is what they want to do. That's fundamentally a BLM victory.

I'm not saying that ultimately she isn't leaning in that direction, but it's ridiculous when coupled with this appeal to "workhorse not show horse" legislative concreteness, when she isn't even willing to offer an opinion on specific, important policy issues in a townhall where she was ostensibly supposed to address those concerns. Like, everything she's offering in that transcript is basically "trust me, I'm on your side." That's as much the pitch of a shrewd politician as a con artist.

"I feel your pain" "feel-good" politics is actually kind of a bad thing. And it's just bizarre to have her on the one hand admonishing BLM activists for failing to offer concrete plans, while as an individual running for President dissembling to try and give as much of a non-answer as possible.

During the '08 primaries and campaign, everyone was reading all these grandiose motives and ideas into Obama's campaign. Obama's campaign was built on vagaries designed to appeal to a broad audience and let them project what they wanted. "Hope" and all that. Then he got into office and he governed as a pretty mediocre centrist that lost basic campaign promises like the public option.

It's really hard, probably naive, to take "trust me" as an answer from someone with a mixed record. The burden is on Clinton to assert that she's made shifts of policy from those she previously held. That's not an unreasonable expectation in a townhall specifically designed for exploring these issues, for which she presumably prepared.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/mbrodkorb/status/768620720620498944

lol, if he ends up not even on the ballot in MN

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

emdash posted:

There is no way that would happen. The Democrats wouldn't even oppose it simply because they don't want to add anything to the "it was rigged' narrative.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The video of her saying that needs to be in an ad.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, I think Clinton's margin of victory is going to be even larger than the polls suggest. It's much easier for people to say they're going to vote for someone instead of actually do it, and Trump has virtually no infrastructure to drive people to the polls. I don't think the lack of a GOTV would hurt him as much as it would for Clinton, but the organization gap is so wide that I can't see it not costing him a few percentage points in the election.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

emdash posted:

Didn't need those 10 EVs anyway!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I've heard of not going for the fifty-states strategy but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

http://www.kare11.com/news/politics/trump-pence-not-yet-on-mn-ballot/307472506

They haven't missed the deadline yet, but lol at not being registered in every state more than a week after the convention.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dork457 posted:

How common are books that are meant to provide some kind of an influence on an upcoming election? I can only imagine Coulter is walking back her absolute support of Trump with the excuse that it's because of his softening on immigration, when in actuality this book could have been on it's way to the printers just as Trump's numbers started to crash.

Extremely common. Dozens of them each and every presidential election cycle, and sometimes even some come out for congressional elections. And that's to say nothing of all the books that come out for primary candidates.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

emdash posted:

It's even funnier. They never elected alternate electors and nobody knew until today so the executive committee just said gently caress it and picked some which might be a problem.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
It's a lost cause anyways. Reagan couldn't even take Minnesota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But my dream of a reverse color 1984 electoral map :negative:

• Locked thread