Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well there's this in the article (which is a gold mine btw)

quote:

The judge, she said, ordered the mental examination because he objected to her speaking in Hawaiian in court.

“The judge, the cop, almost all the court reporters, the prosecutors, they are Japanese,” she said. “They are racist; they have a samurai code.”

Asked about her ethnicity, Kaaihue said she did not want “to get into it. But I am not Japanese.”

so she apparently claims to speak hawaiian but doesn't want to 'get into' her personal ethnicity. two of her three names are certainly hawaiian. elsewhere it says she was born on the mainland and came over at a young age - either she was born to at least one hawaiian on the mainland or she gave herself a bunch of hawaiian names and decided to (pretend to?) speak hawaiian in court to piss a bunch of people off

the 'samurai code' part doesn't have much to do with her ethnicity but it's hard to take part of that article without including something crazy she thinks or says

like seriously this facebook post

'some ___ say', 'some are saying', etc may just be one of trump's greatest legacies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

well there's this in the article (which is a gold mine btw)

so she apparently claims to speak hawaiian but doesn't want to 'get into' her personal ethnicity. two of her three names are certainly hawaiian. elsewhere it says she was born on the mainland and came over at a young age - either she was born to at least one hawaiian on the mainland or she gave herself a bunch of hawaiian names and decided to (pretend to?) speak hawaiian in court to piss a bunch of people off

the 'samurai code' part doesn't have much to do with her ethnicity but it's hard to take part of that article without including something crazy she thinks or says

like seriously this facebook post

'some ___ say', 'some are saying', etc may just be one of trump's greatest legacies

Beware the donkey sorcerers!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Donkeymancer casts Power Word Yeehawww.:rolldice:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

say hello to my next gurps character

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Donald Trump is trying to win the African-American vote by repeatedly saying the words 'African-American.' I wonder if it will work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Larch posted:

Gee, I wonder what's going on in that special election in Hawaii?

Oh.

I dunno she seems like generic crazy religious type. Maybe Texas politics has made me jaded but I just don't see

quote:

Kaaihue’s online campaign material features a photo of Howard Kim, her boyfriend who posted bail for her in the past, wearing a police uniform and making the statement, “I’m healthy and cancer-free!”

The statement appears to refer to U.S. Rep. Mark Takai, who was diagnosed with cancer last fall and who dropped out of his re-election bid in May. Takai died in July.

oh my god

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Clearly Trump running for President opened the 7th Seal for bad political candidates this year or something

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

FlamingLiberal posted:

Clearly Trump running for President opened the 7th Seal for bad political candidates this year or something

I don't think it did that; I think it opened the 7th Seal for news organizations to realize that people will read about this stuff.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm volunteering in the district next to mine since mine is conyers D-locked district, what's the worst stuff Dave Trott has done so I can be effectively outraged tonight?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Groper posted:

I'm volunteering in the district next to mine since mine is conyers D-locked district, what's the worst stuff Dave Trott has done so I can be effectively outraged tonight?

He's pretty much a very conservative generic back-bencher. Anti-gay, Anti-choice, etc. Nothing extremely special.

He said that the 50's were one of the best decades for Americans (black people either don't count as Americans or had it much better than we think), but that is pretty standard Republican thought.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

The Groper posted:

He was the GOP establishment's choice to get rid of Kerry Bentivolio. Google him, he was, shall we say, eccentric...

Here's a New Republic post from 2014 on Trott that should give you some ammo: Michigan's 'Foreclosure King' Is Trying to Win a Seat in Congress

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gorilla Desperado posted:

He was the GOP establishment's choice to get rid of Kerry Bentivolio. Google him, he was, shall we say, eccentric...

Here's a New Republic post from 2014 on Trott that should give you some ammo: Michigan's 'Foreclosure King' Is Trying to Win a Seat in Congress

Paradox Games is really jumping genres like crazy!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Paradox Games is really jumping genres like crazy!
Great, now I wish Paradox actually made an American politics game.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just play President 4Ever while crying like everybody else does.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Great, now I wish Paradox actually made an American politics game.

I find that the After the End mod for CK2 realistically simulates American politics

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cliff Racer posted:

Just play President 4Ever while crying like everybody else does.
But I want a CK2-style character-driven game where I can follow people as they rise from dogcatcher to senator.

Jazerus posted:

I find that the After the End mod for CK2 realistically simulates American politics
I forgot that existed. These day, when I rarely even boot up CK2 and when I do, I play the AGoT mod.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is there an lp of that after the end mod going on? i know there used to be one

i wanna read a, like, completionist after the end lp

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/769208113559900160
interesting tweetstorm on IL's D-leaning gerrymandering and how it's a good thing, after a court ruling rejecting a CA style independent committee

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

thethreeman posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/769208113559900160
interesting tweetstorm on IL's D-leaning gerrymandering and how it's a good thing, after a court ruling rejecting a CA style independent committee

Why is this good? Seems bad to me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cliff Racer posted:

Just play President 4Ever while crying like Donald Trump does.

Ftfy

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

did you read the tweets?

e: as in, by 'tweetstorm' I meant he followed the one I posted with several more explaining it

Hi argument is while gerrymandering is generically bad, the population distribution in IL makes it so that it's hard to come up with districts where the split of D/R district reps/state legislators is proportionally in line with the split of state-wide popular D/R vote. So while the democratic party's gerrymandering is gerrymandering (bad for democracy), it leads to state-wide proportional representation (good for democracy)

thethreeman has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Aug 26, 2016

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

The Larch posted:

Gee, I wonder what's going on in that special election in Hawaii?

Oh.

This is all I can think of when I see her comments about Gabbard. (From this Chick Tract.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

axeil posted:

because it helps Democrats

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

thethreeman posted:

did you read the tweets?

e: as in, by 'tweetstorm' I meant he followed the one I posted with several more explaining it

Hi argument is while gerrymandering is generically bad, the population distribution in IL makes it so that it's hard to come up with districts where the split of D/R district reps/state legislators is proportionally in line with the split of state-wide popular D/R vote. So while the democratic party's gerrymandering is gerrymandering (bad for democracy), it leads to state-wide proportional representation (good for democracy)

I disagree, putting part of the South Side of Chicago in the same district as farmland is not helpful for representing the people of Illinois.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois%27s_2nd_congressional_district

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The X-man cometh posted:

I disagree, putting part of the South Side of Chicago in the same district as farmland is not helpful for representing the people of Illinois.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois%27s_2nd_congressional_district

if you combine the city into one or two districts you end up illegally packing black voters into a single district. it's all a bit more complicated than how you portray it. il-2 is actually probably one of the best drawn districts in the chicago area.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The person making the tweets was talking about the state legislature, fwiw, though the ruling obviously applies at the national level too. I tend to think that "like or linked communities" should be the most important factor and thus disagree with him but its not like there's no possible way to see merit in his arguments.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cliff Racer posted:

The person making the tweets was talking about the state legislature, fwiw, though the ruling obviously applies at the national level too. I tend to think that "like or linked communities" should be the most important factor and thus disagree with him but its not like there's no possible way to see merit in his arguments.

i would point to the california redistricting process to see how "like" communities ended up springing out of nowhere to influence the district drawing process. lobbyists would come in and testify as to how everyone in X area is really concerned about an endangered species and they should draw them all into one district, and of course those lobbyists were conected to the california democratic party or whoever. i think you really can't just say, ok all rural towns are districted with rural towns and all suburbs are districted with suburbs. that's not really possible nor does it give you particularly desirable districts - they are usually just gerrymandered in a different fashion.

really the only actual solution is to end single member districts and introduce party list parliament-type systems. those obviously have their own problems, but it is the actual only way to solve the problem of districts.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
California's system got hosed up a bit because Democrats gamed it while Republicans stupidly sat back and didn't send anyone in to argue their case. Its existed as a philosophical argument for far longer than the 2010 cycle though. That said the results are still a lot more representative of the areas the districts are in than they had been previously and can really only be said to have been positive overall.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

i would point to the california redistricting process to see how "like" communities ended up springing out of nowhere to influence the district drawing process. lobbyists would come in and testify as to how everyone in X area is really concerned about an endangered species and they should draw them all into one district, and of course those lobbyists were conected to the california democratic party or whoever.

Yeah, that was well played by Team Blue, and I don't see it as a problem going forward. The Republicans in this state won't allow themselves to be so completely outmaneuvered again in 2020, it'll turn into a reasonably fair adversarial process before an independent adjudicator, which is a pretty big step in the right direction.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yeah, that was well played by Team Blue, and I don't see it as a problem going forward. The Republicans in this state won't allow themselves to be so completely outmaneuvered again in 2020, it'll turn into a reasonably fair adversarial process before an independent adjudicator, which is a pretty big step in the right direction.

well the point is, it's really easy to come up with a million reasons why communities have shared issues that demand they share a district. maybe two communities share access to a single water supply that is affected by drought, so they need a representative who will be responsive to their water needs. it's more arbitrary than it might seem on the surface.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Aug 27, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
He has a point re: IL, that a pure focus on communities of interest would result in a handful of ultra-Democratic (D+70ish) districts around Chicago and a bunch of somewhat-GOP districts covering the rest of the state, yielding a GOP delegation even while Dems win the vote. It's a hard problem to avoid when Dems tend to all want to live in the same area

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I disagree, a lot of Illinois' suburbs are lean Democratic and so much of the state really is located in Chicagoland. I think a non-gerrymandered legislature will still elect Democratic majorities. Bear in mind that "communities of interest" would still result in some downstate Democrats being elected too because it would put some of the more urban downstate areas together, just not to the extent that they are now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
NYT Upshot has started doing Senate predictions

(I guess Wisconsin is considered a lost cause for Republicans at this point)

They give the Dems a 60% shot at controlling the chamber (including 50-50 tie with VP tiebreaker)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I see no 538 on that list, the salt is palpable.

Also what are PW and PEC? Is one of them that lovely one that said Democrats were going to win in 2014?

edit: Yeah, its PEC, feel free to discount that one's numbers.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

well the point is, it's really easy to come up with a million reasons why communities have shared issues that demand they share a district. maybe two communities share access to a single water supply that is affected by drought, so they need a representative who will be responsive to their water needs. it's more arbitrary than it might seem on the surface.

Every system of representation is arbitrary, though. Until we get a benevolent AI to rule over us all, I'm mostly just concerned with the kinds of arbitrariness that allow deliberate abuses of power.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
chicagoland is such a dumb name, it sounds like a theme park

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cliff Racer posted:

Also what are PW and PEC? Is one of them that lovely one that said Democrats were going to win in 2014?

edit: Yeah, its PEC, feel free to discount that one's numbers.

wait isnt pec Sam Wang, ie the best model?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

wait isnt pec Sam Wang, ie the best model?
He hosed up the midterms something fierce, although he's done well in other cases. You should generally be skeptical of all averages/aggregators anyway.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

You might think that 538 isn't on the list of Senate forecasts because they don't have a Senate forecast, but no, I'm sure it's salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

mandatory lesbian posted:

chicagoland is such a dumb name, it sounds like a theme park

the metroplex sounds dorkier imo

• Locked thread