Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

anybody who gets into "professional" overwatch should be embarrassed with themselves.

Lolwut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

I can't believe young men and women would somehow think that playing a CHILDREN'S game is a worthwhile calling in life!!! They should get real jobs!!

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

If I learned anything from Jacky D it's never speak first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-eoiY4bOo

30 Rock's constant low-hum-Benny-Goodman in the background soundtrack drives me loving nuts I can't take it. Like, just let people talk, I don't need a droning clarinet in the background.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I really like Kongdoo's name and logo (the most important part of any eSports team) so I am glad they got back in. Ever and CJ feel like if you combined them you might have a good team, but both of the squads as they are just feel like complete messes. I hope Loken makes it out ok tho, that guy rules.

Sexpansion posted:

Please do yourself a favor and watch some of the wild card qualifier games, they are actually very entertaining. For instance, watch Tussle's Lee Sin dominate here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9yR_Yu19BA
The first blood this game is my favourite first blood so far this year.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

iSurrender posted:

Sorry, maybe we should go back to qualityposting like wondering if the CEO of a billion dollar company is gonna step down over petty internet drama.

this is not petty internet drama when we are talking about full time players being unable to support themselves financially and five dudes sleeping in one room because the stipend riot provides covers peanuts, this is a basic human rights issue

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Riot and Kespa need to step up and relegate Jin Air instead of Ever or CJ. Do the right thing, Riot. No more 60 minute games with comps that cannot engage.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Firebert posted:

Riot and Kespa need to step up and relegate Jin Air instead of Ever or CJ. Do the right thing, Riot. No more 60 minute games with comps that cannot engage.
gently caress you

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

gently caress you

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I want to see Jin Air vs Unicorns of Love at World's just to see what kind of crazy game that would be. Unless they just went 1-1 and one game was a UoL style match and one game was a Jin Air style match. They're the two teams I can most identify with having a style that drags their opponents to that level (UoL's chaotic bloodbaths vs Jin Air's long drawn out games)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if jin air has had the same coach forever and any time the team loses a game he just says "Hmmm but have you tried dragging the game out later?"

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
All I'm hearing is that Froggen joins Jin Air in 2017 and takes them to the championship

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

I wonder if jin air has had the same coach forever and any time the team loses a game he just says "Hmmm but have you tried dragging the game out later?"
Han Sang-Young has been the coach for as long as i remember, he was around during the Stealths/Falcons days

Dragongem posted:

All I'm hearing is that Froggen joins Jin Air in 2017 and takes them to the championship
GBM jungle/Frogen mid yes....YES

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

gently caress you

I know everyone loves the sadplane.jpg meme; it's great, I love it too! It's not going to go away. But Jin Air has to go away.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
We will not be getting rid of Jin Air you monster.

Also: I'd laugh my head off if the orgs manage to pressure riot into franchises right now because c9 has that extra spot that's going sell for a bajillion dollars if they do

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kashuno posted:

You'd be right to argue they have no leverage until you realize it's not just TSM but a majority of the NA orgs and all of a sudden riot loses a lot of leverage because if they were all pull out simultaneously even if VC comes in and buys the players up piecemeal brand loyalty is a big deal

And the capitalists will regret it once the workers of the world unite and institute full communism now.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Powercrazy posted:

And the capitalists will regret it once the workers of the world unite and institute full communism now.

I know this is now the Bad Analogy thread, so this following post is probably off topic but Riot makes money by viewers. The brands built up currently are one of the major factors in people watching, and if a large section of fans no longer have a team solely because Riot told everyone to gently caress off, they will probably not come back. This is the owners' leverage, and it's enough to probably get a few more concessions out of negotiations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

This doesn't even make sense as a comparison lol

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I find it difficult to believe that the owners would actually go through with leaving the LCS. Like maybe Fnatic could, but what do the other guys even have other than bad CSGO teams?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't get why people think teams will stay if Riot, when finally forced to make a decision, says "No we will not give you decent revenue options"

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
If you think Barb had a bad party, you should see the bash LCS owners are throwing for Tryndamere...

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Redmark posted:

I find it difficult to believe that the owners would actually go through with leaving the LCS. Like maybe Fnatic could, but what do the other guys even have other than bad CSGO teams?

Leaving the LCS isn't even necessarily quitting league. qtpie left the LCS and league is still his job. TSM ran tournaments before LCS, they can run them after. Or they can just sit back and manage a collection of streamers that destroy the 5v5 queue. If Riot goes as far as banning them all from league forever because they didn't keep funding a pro team, that sets an insane precedent that no investor will want to get involved in.

Even if they do leave League entirely, if TSM bought a Smite team or something plenty of fans would follow. The learning curve to watch a moba isn't as steep as the one to play it.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
The chance of either side going nuclear is slim. It should be zero, but Merrill may still want to see what his knee tastes like after trying his foot and his shin.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thelazyblank posted:

The chance of either side going nuclear is slim. It should be zero, but Merrill may still want to see what his knee tastes like after trying his foot and his shin.

Yeah I mean in any logical situation between a company and owner org, I would expect this to just end calmly with the teams getting a bit more revenue options and Riot raising the stipends a small amount as a gesture of good faith.

With riot I have no idea if Merrill is going to tell them to suck his dick and "remind" all the teams how League of Legends made them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If all the NA organizations left LCS it would probably have to be "quitting League". It would be a matter of time before TSM started running their own tournaments again and hammered with a C&D order from Riot since they own all aspects of the games. They'd never be able to reliably gain viewers, because Riot could shut them down on any streaming or video service if they were that petty.

What's the allure to a league full of LoL players going straight to DOTA2 for the TSM Invitational, though? Should be funny just to see how bad some of them are at the game at first.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I mean in any logical situation between a company and owner org, I would expect this to just end calmly with the teams getting a bit more revenue options and Riot raising the stipends a small amount as a gesture of good faith.

With riot I have no idea if Merrill is going to tell them to suck his dick and "remind" all the teams how League of Legends made them.

Merrill can't possibly still have total company control right? Surely he has shareholders or something who will tell him to suck it up and deal if he's that stubborn about it.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

What's the allure to a league full of LoL players going straight to DOTA2 for the TSM Invitational, though? Should be funny just to see how bad some of them are at the game at first.

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/80302009

link doesn't have his profile on the leaderboards (you gotta enable it) but that mmr would put him around 40th in america. probably would have made some serious cash if he switched from league earlier.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Merrill can't possibly still have total company control right? Surely he has shareholders or something who will tell him to suck it up and deal if he's that stubborn about it.

riot's completely owned by tencent, but i figure they gave riot a lot of autonomy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Well Riot's owned by TenCent, but who knows how much they really intervene with Riot's doings

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
HTC has now responded to that whole drama thing now as well

https://www.facebook.com/HTCEsports/posts/1800010233566078

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hahahaha holy poo poo even sponsors getting in on it now. it never stops getting better.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Christ that was a brutal little writeup by a sponsor

panda clue
May 23, 2014
guys, you're idiots if you think sponsors have any sort of leverage over Riot Games :rolleyes:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's actually similar to the Armenian genocide because

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

its kinda interesting how riot has taken control over the subreddit and ensured that people are always talking about league. even a video that is about pro players but not necessarily about league (even if it isn't about another game) is not ok to them.

ive always been under the perhaps naive assumption that all the pro league players were doing much better than they actually are because of the popularity of the game. guess once again qt proves hes the smartest league player that ever lived.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This is truly what :munch: and :suspense: were made for

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why would sponsors want to even get involved if they can't market their products to the audience? There is no League of Legends VR version, so it's not like HTC can be like "hey play the League Vive version please?" while still trying to market their products. Ridiculous.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Why would sponsors want to even get involved if they can't market their products to the audience? There is no League of Legends VR version, so it's not like HTC can be like "hey play the League Vive version please?" while still trying to market their products. Ridiculous.
OGN was sponsored by Vive and you know what they did? They had finals with a 360 camera and you could plug in your HTC Vive and watch the game as if you were sitting in the audience.

Riot should have given OGN full control over LCS they've been doing it for decades and the difference in quality is astounding. Like yeah, Riot has great in-house production but LCK is still miles and miles ahead

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

OGN was sponsored by Vive and you know what they did? They had finals with a 360 camera and you could plug in your HTC Vive and watch the game as if you were sitting in the audience.

Riot should have given OGN full control over LCS they've been doing it for decades and the difference in quality is astounding. Like yeah, Riot has great in-house production but LCK is still miles and miles ahead

I am convinced the one thing Riot, as a company, hates more than literally anything is OGN

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

that retirement home video just had regi wearing the VR headset as if he was watching league too.

agreed on OGN being better at the esports thing than riot in every way possible. its nice that league has done so well for them they can make their own sports leagues across the world or whatever but it just feels like way too much for one company to deal with internally to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Radical posted:

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/80302009

link doesn't have his profile on the leaderboards (you gotta enable it) but that mmr would put him around 40th in america. probably would have made some serious cash if he switched from league earlier.

Link is an exception because he played high level Dota before switching to League. I think everyone else would really struggle.

• Locked thread