Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

May as well just save your dust for when duels come out because who knows how many times they'll rebalance between then and now. I still hold on to at least one of each in the hopes that 90% of them won't be worthless in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I can see powering up things with high IVs and good movesets now, instead of later. I can even see powering up things with good movesets and :monocle: bad IVs if you want to bust some level 10 gyms more quickly.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Has anyone else noticed a big difference when playing late at night vs afternoon? Last night at like midnight I decided to check out the "best spot for dratini and magikarp" in the area and seriously saw like maybe 5 pokemon total in the hour I was there.

I've seen people claim that the more people around you playing, the better the spawns will be.. but then I've seen people claim that it doesn't matter and that's a myth. What the gently caress.

Also a lot of nests just like don't work after dark which is lame and dumb

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I was just chillin' at the end of a hedge maze in the Forest of Dean (day out with the family), and there was a Gym there so I was wrecking some guys bad 'mons and installing my dictatorship.

The guy was fighting back, but he only had 700-800 CP guys so I was knocking them down again.

The point to all this is, while I was stood with my phone in my hand, some little 10 year old girl runs up to me and asks "are you BearRaid?"

I am a 32 year old man. She wasn't even the other player with the weak Pokemon at the gym. She was red team too so we trained up the gym so she could get one of her mons in. :hfive:

That was weeeeird.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
caught a rhyhorn with good IV's and rock smash and Bulldoze at 650 cp

also caught a Rhydon with good IV's with Rock smash and Earthquake at 789 cp

which is the better move set? Is Earthquake the nuts as far as moves go or?????

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

zeldadude posted:

Has anyone else noticed a big difference when playing late at night vs afternoon? Last night at like midnight I decided to check out the "best spot for dratini and magikarp" in the area and seriously saw like maybe 5 pokemon total in the hour I was there.

I've seen people claim that the more people around you playing, the better the spawns will be.. but then I've seen people claim that it doesn't matter and that's a myth. What the gently caress.

In my experience, the nests will have hours of operation where they tend to be more active during the day depending on the pokemon type. However, I don't think there's any validity to more pokemon spawning if there's more people around since they're using old cell data to determine spawns and not live data. Anecdotally, when I was visiting my campus during the summer I noticed the spawns were very sparse since the reception there is bad. Now that the semester has started and the campus is full of people (a good 70% of which are playing Go)... the spawns are exactly the same. The only difference is all the stops are perma-lured now so it feels like there's more pokemon.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I love the social aspect of the game and have never used trackers myself but I've run into people at the park using trackers and sometimes we'll gather up a group and go look for something we never would have seen otherwise. That kind of fun isn't incompatible with third party tools.

Why do you bother powering up if you're not even battling? I've seen other people do this and spend all their stardust and never fight gyms and I don't get it.

Bigger numbers are the point of this game, not battling. Why bother battling, except to get more pokecoins and stardust to do more powering up?

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

The appraisal system is good enough for me, as I'm not really bothered about exact numbers.

Finally caught a Mr Mime and Jigglypuff today, and hatched a Hitmonchan. A good day for 'mons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is there an up-to-date consensus on incense use? Googling stuff like this is really annoying since I haven't kept up with it. I have no idea if an article from the beginning of the month has anything useful in it or not.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Mezzanon posted:

caught a rhyhorn with good IV's and rock smash and Bulldoze at 650 cp

also caught a Rhydon with good IV's with Rock smash and Earthquake at 789 cp

which is the better move set? Is Earthquake the nuts as far as moves go or?????

They're both crap but the Ryhdon is the least lovely of the two.

http://www.pogomoves.com/check.php?pkmn=Rhyhorn&basic=Rock+Smash&charge=Bulldoze

http://www.pogomoves.com/check.php?pkmn=Rhydon&basic=Rock+Smash&charge=Earthquake

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

zeldadude posted:

I never get good spawns around my house beyond the very rare uncommon ones in a blue moon. Long story short: poo poo spawns are still poo poo spawns.

What bugs me when at work is that the app seems to time out after a span of inactivity and the nearby list only populates again after I reboot the app.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

AirRaid posted:

The point to all this is, while I was stood with my phone in my hand, some little 10 year old girl runs up to me and asks "are you BearRaid?"

I am a 32 year old man. She wasn't even the other player with the weak Pokemon at the gym. She was red team too so we trained up the gym so she could get one of her mons in. :hfive:

That was weeeeird.

I'm a grown 29-yr-old woman who's only recently felt the sting of "holy poo poo I'm old" due to PKG and striking up conversations with the youths. That time I biked around and took all the gyms in my neighborhood with a random 18-yr-old boy on his summer break before starting college was fun... that time I had an in-depth conversation with a 15-yr-old was super interesting because it made me realize that some kids turn out pretty smart if you've got a shitload of resources to send them to a private/charter school that costs $21k/yr (sigh, Boulder).

I would never talk to these people in most other situations, but it was neat to chat with people many years my junior while realizing, after the fact, how strange this was. Still, it's nice to meet people who still have hopes and dreams that have yet to be shattered.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I can see powering up things with high IVs and good movesets now, instead of later. I can even see powering up things with good movesets and :monocle: bad IVs if you want to bust some level 10 gyms more quickly.

If you're really serious about the late game (30-40), don't use dust ever because you only get it at a trickle and it takes ~150k dust to get from 30 to 40

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Wow thanks for the link! That's so many loving numbers about this silly mobile game, holy bananas!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

Now that the appraisal feature is out, Niantic will bring the hammer down on iv managers

DON'T DO IT YOU GUYS

they literally can't stop them. The ones not tied to your account, the onesa where you manually enter in your poke's stats? impossible for them to squish. the only thing they could do is completely mess with the cp/iv formulas, and i don't think they'd be that pants-on-head retarded to attempt it.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Snak posted:

Is there an up-to-date consensus on incense use? Googling stuff like this is really annoying since I haven't kept up with it. I have no idea if an article from the beginning of the month has anything useful in it or not.

If you're moving faster + greater distances you will get more spawns, but if you are moving too fast you won't be able to catch anything (eg 60 mph on the highway, everything will run right away). Incense spawns don't dissapear on the map until they are out of LOS completely, which means you can be much farther from them and still click on them than with normal spawns.

Usually it seems to give spawns reflecting the makeup of nearby spawnpoints. If you are far (1km +) from any spawn points it will just give you random pokemon, which is usually better.

It's probably not worth using if you're just trying to be optimal, but if you have some time and want to catch some Pokemon, go for it.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Fusion Restaurant posted:

If you are far (1km +) from any spawn points it will just give you random pokemon, which is usually better.

Wives tale.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
IVs.. really don't matter much until you're 35+, right? CP is CP (as in, a 0/0/0 Vaporeon at 2,000 CP is a stalemate against a 15/15/15 Vaporeon at 2,000 CP), and the level 40 spread is ~15% from 0 IV to 45 IV, if I recall.

So the penalty for bad IVs is negligible until you're at high levels, right?

If I got some or all of this wrong, don't feel the need to :byodame: YA FUCKIN' RETARD :byodame: me, because I'm mostly just asking if I understand it right, not trying to spread false information.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

e: ^^^ correct, with 2 caveats:

1. A 100% CP pokemon is by definition balanced attack / defense / HP, so a 1000cp vaporeon with 15/15/15 will perform differently than a 1000cp with 5/0/0. The latter will be more DPS heavy, and thus might be better if you can reliably dodge.
2. If you ever waste a single shred of stardust now on lovely IVs, you'll want to literally die later when you've expended all of your stardust and have some good poo poo you need to power up :v:

AirRaid posted:

So I was just chillin' at the end of a hedge maze in the Forest of Dean (day out with the family), and there was a Gym there so I was wrecking some guys bad 'mons and installing my dictatorship.

The guy was fighting back, but he only had 700-800 CP guys so I was knocking them down again.

That was weeeeird.

"... and THAT'S why I told the girl she could call me BearRaid, your honor."

something posted:

they literally can't stop them. The ones not tied to your account, the onesa where you manually enter in your poke's stats? impossible for them to squish. the only thing they could do is completely mess with the cp/iv formulas, and i don't think they'd be that pants-on-head retarded to attempt it.

I'm p. sure he's talking about pgnexus.gg and especially the ones that rename your pokemon for you. The risk is probably ranked as follows, from most likely to least likely:

straight-up botting > scanning using your main account > scanning using a different account but originating from the same cell phone > using an online tool to rename / batch evolve > using an online tool to read-only that requires logging in to your account > getting struck by lightning > scanning using a different account using a different device

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 25, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Even the young in team valor have the taste for mystic blood.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IVs.. really don't matter much until you're 35+, right? CP is CP (as in, a 0/0/0 Vaporeon at 2,000 CP is a stalemate against a 15/15/15 Vaporeon at 2,000 CP), and the level 40 spread is ~15% from 0 IV to 45 IV, if I recall.

So the penalty for bad IVs is negligible until you're at high levels, right?

If I got some or all of this wrong, don't feel the need to :byodame: YA FUCKIN' RETARD :byodame: me, because I'm mostly just asking if I understand it right, not trying to spread false information.

More or less, yes.

At this point I don't think I've added to my roster of "good" pokemon in over a month and have been riding the same few Exeggs, Snorlax, Lapras, and Vaporeons in the 1850-2100 window to daily bonuses.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

theflyingexecutive posted:

If you're really serious about the late game (30-40), don't use dust ever because you only get it at a trickle and it takes ~150k dust to get from 30 to 40

On the other hand, you'll gain way more than 150k dust in the time between each level in that range and you'll stop finding better pokemon at that point

Also CP is way more important for defenders than it is for attackers and you'll never need more than 10 defenders. Once you're level 30 you'll have plenty of attackers to take on any type of pokemon regardless of the CP difference.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cartouche posted:

Wives tale.

Some wives tales turn out to be true.

671 data points

And for what you might expect from one session:
29 data points, all from one ocean trip

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

If you're moving faster + greater distances you will get more spawns, but if you are moving too fast you won't be able to catch anything (eg 60 mph on the highway, everything will run right away). Incense spawns don't dissapear on the map until they are out of LOS completely, which means you can be much farther from them and still click on them than with normal spawns.

Usually it seems to give spawns reflecting the makeup of nearby spawnpoints. If you are far (1km +) from any spawn points it will just give you random pokemon, which is usually better.

It's probably not worth using if you're just trying to be optimal, but if you have some time and want to catch some Pokemon, go for it.

To back this all up: people on cruise ships have been getting the most mileage out of their incense.
e;f,b

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

Some wives tales turn out to be true.

671 data points

And for what you might expect from one session:
29 data points, all from one ocean trip

Yeah, exactly, this.

It actually sort of makes sense that they would have to default to some other spawn distribution without having spawns nearby, and it seems like that distribution just is better than most spawns.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Frown Town posted:

I'm a grown 29-yr-old woman who's only recently felt the sting of "holy poo poo I'm old" due to PKG and striking up conversations with the youths. That time I biked around and took all the gyms in my neighborhood with a random 18-yr-old boy on his summer break before starting college was fun... that time I had an in-depth conversation with a 15-yr-old was super interesting because it made me realize that some kids turn out pretty smart if you've got a shitload of resources to send them to a private/charter school that costs $21k/yr (sigh, Boulder).

I would never talk to these people in most other situations, but it was neat to chat with people many years my junior while realizing, after the fact, how strange this was. Still, it's nice to meet people who still have hopes and dreams that have yet to be shattered.

Meeting new people and finding camaraderie with strangers is one of the best parts about this game. Also, you're not old so don't sweat it. :colbert:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Here's my new favorite pokemon.

As an attacker, it can easily beat defenders double its CP or more. As a defender, it's also very hard to find a pokemon with lower CP that can beat it.

Also, it's a giant pink egg. That's the best part.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
whats the highest chansey people have come cross?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I too would like to know if there's anything to the higher trainer density -> better Pokémon rumor. The museum i work at is hosting a Go-themed night in a few weeks, and our partner museum elsewhere in the state had one shortly after launch and by the end they were having fully evolved Pokémon and Snorlaxes popping up.

Re: social aspect, some friends and I were walking around the local outdoor shopping/upscale apartment district with scores of other people and got caught in a crowd at the tail end of a dratini spawn. One of the other stragglers was this goony looking guy who was just friendly as all get out, he approached us and started excitedly telling us how now he has something to do after work and how he's lost over 20 pounds and how for the first time he feels like he can be social. It was really :unsmith:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Alan Smithee posted:

whats the highest chansey people have come cross?

A 420 one, presumably.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Dahbadu posted:

As a defender, it's also very hard to find a pokemon with lower CP that can beat it.

So it's for trolling your teammates?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

The new appraiser thing makes it easier to figure out the IVs when you have a bunch of different possible percentages.

Take this turd
http://www.pogomoves.com/checkIvs.php?pkmn=Hypno&basic=Confusion&charge=Shadow+Ball&cp=548&hp=72&stardust=1000

The first appraiser comment puts him in the 80-100% range. Second comment makes it clear he doesn't have a perfect 15 stat in anything. With this guy, it means he has to be the 87% one.

If the second comment said he had a 15 stat, with whatever stat he then says is good, then I can narrow it down to the other two options.

This guy was an easy one to narrow down but with other guys, you should be able to narrow it down to a few percentages instead of some crazy range from 18%-100% and not have to spend pokemon cocaine. I double checked what I was finding with pgnexus and it seems to be matching up.

Has anyone tested to see if hatched pokemon end up with better moves when they're evolved or is it just better stats than average?

Broseph Brostar posted:

So it's for trolling your teammates?

Or making it harder for the other two teams to lower prestige. Putting a cp 10 pidgey as a gym defender is like asking Adele to feed seagulls. poo poo isn't going to end well.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 25, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

Has anyone tested to see if hatched pokemon end up with better moves when they're evolved or is it just better stats than average?

No, the game doesn't know what the best moves are

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For anyone that is consulting both the appraiser + manual calculators, why aren't you just using pgnexus? Ban concerns?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

For anyone that is consulting both the appraiser + manual calculators, why aren't you just using pgnexus? Ban concerns?

I don't because other games/services have added checks when you log in that 3rd parties don't do, just a simple sort of data check they track where things still work fine with or without it. Everything seems fine but then one day they do a mass ban because they've been collecting who's been logging in without that data check.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

That would make the regionals really hard to get though, people would have to stock up for all their friends if they go out of the country, and if you don't know any international travelers, you're screwed.

Isn't that sort of the point of regionals?

If they ever implement non-local trading, you'll be able to buy 3000CP Dragonites from BestPokemonQualityExchange.cn (or something similar) in less than 10 minutes.

I predict that not only will trading be local only, but you'll only be able to trade Pokemon of somewhat equal CP value. If nothing else, this will prevent goony neckbeards from tricking minors into trading away their high-powered rares in exchange for a 10CP Diglett.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

hi guys, hows the thread?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Blind trading is dumb as hell

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I hope it is like wonder training so I can trade my 100 Krabbys for pidgeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You trade in 100 pidgeys for 100 pidgey candies.

• Locked thread