Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Is he supposed to throw his daughter under the bus? Like, I am not sure what he's supposed to say there other than that.
"She's an adult so she can do what she wants, but Thanksgiving is going to be awkward?" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

nutranurse posted:

No, that's an idiotic stance to hold. Not talking about an issue, be it inequality or cyber harassment, won't make the issue disappear. That it is being reported on has revved up the outrage machine and outrage really is the only thing that gets people/companies off their asses to make a change for the better.

Wow, thanks for the top notch discourse, rear end in a top hat. I never said these issues shouldn't be discussed. What I said was, in the individual instances of these hacks, aren't the media doing the hacker's work for them? In these moments, who wins? The hackers get the widespread attention they sought, the media outlets get the ad revenue they wanted, the public gets their salacious content and justified outrage (often at the same time). The only person who loses is Jones.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

That's true, but he was allowed to run wild until he went after Jones and that led directly to Twitter's admins finally getting off their asses. That's more than enough for his army of idiots to lay the blame on her.

He's been given temporary bans several times in the past, this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. And technically I don't think he was actually banned for harassment, but for violating terms of service by fabricating tweets.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SubponticatePoster posted:

"She's an adult so she can do what she wants, but Thanksgiving is going to be awkward?" :v:

Given that she seriously complicated his re-election bid in 2008 with a mess over her MBA in the first place, this wouldn't be the first time. Especially because this reopens those wounds and, my gut assumption is, means he won't be running for re-election in 2018, which could easily put that seat in play.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

uninterrupted posted:

Medical care should be regulated at a higher level than fart apps; ideally run by the government the same as firefighters, police, national defense, etc.

Underfunded, full of corruption and full of broken processes respectively? :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ironic that feminists obsess over sexual assault and rape figures, but want to let someone get away with raping my childhood.

She also had the gall to be openly awesome about the Olympics which enraged anyone who didn't think America was in some way currently great.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

People posting on Twitter, Facebook and elsewhere about how they hate Jones repeatedly say just that so yeah.

And with his little "Vengeance is mine" promenade in response to this and how likely the hackers will crack once they're caught, I'm hoping Milo gets into even more serious trouble over this. Prison for the hacker/s, but maybe heavy fines and further social media permabans just to drive Milo further into his inevitable self inflicted demise.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wait what the gently caress? Are you telling me asthma inhalers work like lovely inkjet cartridges that lie and report that they're empty when they still have plenty of ink inside?

And I thought that was inexcusable.

The inhaler in my pocket is currently well past zero, but it still has plenty of juice left. It is probably a case of being safe over sorry, but I've never not had an inhaler read zero well before it was actually out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is revenge for getting Milo Yiannopolis banned from Twitter.

Kind of all of a piece though.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Is he supposed to throw his daughter under the bus? Like, I am not sure what he's supposed to say there other than that.

The fact that he was making a statement at all is newsworthy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ONLY 90% SAY THEY WON'T CHANGE THEIR MINDS!?

:siren: :siren: :derp: :derp: :derp: :siren: :siren:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Kind of all of a piece though.

The fact that he was making a statement at all is newsworthy.

Its been a big deal here locally, so I am not at all surprised. As I mention, Heather Bresch's name is more or less one you don't ever mention without eliciting a bunch of groans and narrowed eyes anyway, so this has re-opened all of those issues. Combine this with the more right elements of the state not being happy because Manchin had the audacity to say that gun control was a thing we should be open to, and weeeellllllll.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Ytlaya posted:

Think of it like buying a video game (or literally anything else pretty much). During the IPO, the makers of the game sell copies of the game. After that people can continue to buy and sell the game to one another. When I buy a copy of the game from someone else, the company is obviously not getting any money from the transaction, but I still own the game.

Basically, companies sell ownership over themselves and then people continue to buy and sell that ownership to each other.

Ok I was a page away from people covering this. Should have kept reading.

I do think it's a worthy side discussion about how neither the sprinters nor the marathoners are "better" but rather different approaches to different problems.

Climate change, for example, has an element where not doing things now makes the future problem worse. If the Clinton foundation planted trees in the gates foundation model it would plant a small number of trees now and a small number next year etc etc because it would only be planting trees off its interest while protecting the nest egg. But we don't need a small number of trees every year for 100 years. We need a lot of trees right now. future trees are not as valuable as trees now. For example, the less carbon we produce the less need for carbon sequestration. As we move away from coal and gas to greener alternatives carbon sequestration projects will provide less benefit. But right now carbon levels are still trending upwards year by year and increasing the greenhouse effect so trees now matter more.

Or from a medical perspective, diseases can be eradicated through large scale efforts right now (polio, smallpox, Etc ) but pregnancy will always be dangerous. A sprinting approach to fighting a particular disease may make sense. But a charity seeking to help low income pregnant people should structure for the long term. They will be as needed in 100 years as they are today.

Or education. The problem of building schools where no schools exist is different than the problem of getting existing schools to improve. There is always room for improvement. But building schools - and changing cultures to value schooling - is a finish-able project and even a poor school is infinitely better than no school at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm anyone wanna head up to MN with me, we can do some goon journalism on this Trump ballot stuff.

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/768850405371641856

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You can have for-profit healthcare with heavy market restrictions, you know.

I do know this.

I also know that instead of allowing the wild-west of misery-profiteering, sane nations heavily subsidize, regulate and cap prices so that their citizens aren't being robbed at gunpoint when they're the most vulnerable.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Are there any non-right wing sites that have reported on the Huma e-mails regarding important donors and meetings with State Department? I'm trying to get more info but this poo poo is slanted as gently caress.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

Are there any non-right wing sites that have reported on the Huma e-mails regarding important donors and meetings with State Department? I'm trying to get more info but this poo poo is slanted as gently caress.

The fact that non-crazy sources aren't reporting much about it tells you something.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Its Clinton Rules.

Largely the bigger is influence politics more generally.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My guess is that won't be the case ;)

Epipens weren't the only drugs they jacked the prices up on. You're probably correct that they won't raises prices more but a lot of damage has already been done.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/23/how-mylan-hiked-prices-of-lots-of-other-products-besides-life-saving-epipen.html

quote:

"Mylan has raised the prices more than 20 percent on 24 products, and more than 100 percent on seven products,"

They include a stunning 542 percent increase for the drug ursodiol, which is a generic medication used to treat gallstones.

Maris also flagged a 444 percent increase in another generic drug, metoclopramide, which is commonly used to treat GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease as well as gastroparesis. Dicyclomine, a drug used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, had its price jacked up by 400 percent by Mylan.

The price of one of Mylan's biggest selling generics, tolterodine, was increased by 56 percent this year, the Wells Fargo analyst said. Tolterodine is used to treat overactive bladders.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

Hmmm anyone wanna head up to MN with me, we can do some goon journalism on this Trump ballot stuff.

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/768850405371641856

hmm, shakopee's only 40 minutes away...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

That should be illustrative.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

E1M1 posted:

Question: I, nor probably 99.99% reading these stories actually witnessed the rape. Isn't widespread media coverage of the hack attack doing way more to contribute to Jones's humiliation, seeing as only a very small number of people would've even been aware of the thing in the first place? Is this really worth reporting on instead of quietly removing the photos and letting investigators do their work?

Can you see why this is a bad argument now?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

uninterrupted posted:

Medical care should be regulated at a higher level than fart apps; ideally run by the government the same as firefighters, police, national defense, etc.

Agreed OP

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Polls seem to be all over the place right now.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

E1M1 posted:

Wow, thanks for the top notch discourse, rear end in a top hat. I never said these issues shouldn't be discussed. What I said was, in the individual instances of these hacks, aren't the media doing the hacker's work for them? In these moments, who wins? The hackers get the widespread attention they sought, the media outlets get the ad revenue they wanted, the public gets their salacious content and justified outrage (often at the same time). The only person who loses is Jones.

Maybe from your own real limited, just-hide-in-a-corner-and-wait-till-it-blows-over pov, but from what I see Jones and the media are owning this and making it a teachable moment.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not really. Averages are holding pretty steady. 47-40.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a bit of end zone celebrating going on from a lot of former defeated GOP staffers today.

https://twitter.com/NoahCRothman/status/768576753736511489

Crows Turn Off posted:

Live voter polls are consistently in the 8-10 national range, robocalls are about five points closer and trackers the closest of all. So they are consistent, just there's three categories.

That's also them arranged by predictive value from best to worst.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Can you see why this is a bad argument now?

No? Because you didn't provide any actual argument or evidence to the contrary?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Worth noting, from the chart at the bottom of this article:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-leave-the-la-times-poll-alone/

Quinnipiac has a 2.9% bias towards Trump. Only LATimes and Rasmussen have a stronger Trump bias.

It's not unreasonable to guess that this poll actually shows Trump under 40%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MWatkinsTrib/status/768852447167025152

Phew good news for Kentucky that that story is now completely buried.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the takeaway from the election will be Trump just want anti immigrant enough.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MWatkinsTrib/status/768852447167025152

Phew good news for Kentucky that that story is now completely buried.

My question is why on earth would the university's administration think this move wouldn't lead to the story getting even more traction. Are university administrators that loving disconnected from the real world?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

nutranurse posted:

My question is why on earth would the university's administration think this move wouldn't lead to the story getting even more traction. Are university administrators that loving disconnected from the real world?

You know the answer in your heart.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
University admins are universally fuckwads.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

nutranurse posted:

There is a good to great chance that the university's administration doesn't even know what the internet is.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

greatn posted:

University admins are universally fuckwads.

I work at a university and have administrator right in my title.

I can say with confidence that I'm not a fuckwad at least 51% of the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

greatn posted:

I think the takeaway from the election will be Trump just want anti immigrant enough.

It already is. Assuming Trump loses it'll be that and he wasn't religious enough so he didn't have the conviction and favor of God to win.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

E1M1 posted:

No? Because you didn't provide any actual argument or evidence to the contrary?

Try it again:

E1M1 posted:

Question: I, nor probably 99.99% reading these stories actually witnessed the rape. Isn't widespread media coverage of the hack attack doing way more to contribute to Jones's humiliation, seeing as only a very small number of people would've even been aware of the thing in the first place? Is this really worth reporting on instead of quietly ignoring it and letting investigators do their work?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The press flack's natural instinct is to quash quash quash, you don't blame a skunk for spraying do you?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Congrats on David Duke winning the 2020 GOP nomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Try it again:

Again, that's not an argument. You're conflating two acts that I think are obviously distinct in their purpose and ends. Hacking and releasing someone's nude photos requires a kind of cooperation of attention from the public to achieve its goals of humiliating the target. An individual rape doesn't require outside attention in the same way.

• Locked thread