Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

One of mine has Pet Me While I Eat and will stop eating every few seconds to look at me if I don't keep petting. One has Go Away So I Can Eat (which I think is just fear of getting stepped on, she'll happily invade my desk if I'm eating something interesting at the computer), and the third doesn't understand why I would bother him while he eats, but doesn't let it stop him.

Cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Some of yall are being sexually harassed by your cats

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Is the goon (dee eight?) still selling Montana catnip? I looked through the first several pages of the SA mart and can't find it. Google search isn't yielding much either. I live in Montana and, ironically, even my local pet shop sells Washington catnip. I'd love to buy some local cat drugs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Guess I can add Follow Me So I Can Eat But Then Go Away Please to the cat DSM-V, then.

Cats.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

My cat has I Cannot Eat If Anyone Is Watching Me, her food dishes are in a makeshift cubby behind the couch. It's not the worst, we'd probably have to do that anyway because apparently my boyfriend's dog has My Food Is Disgusting But Kitty's Hypoallergenic Flavorless Kibble Is Delicious.

Fake edit: the dog also eats her catnip. animals.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm going to be hosting my sister's cat, Oscar, for a week pretty soon, and I don't have any idea how Tuna is going to react to another cat on his turf (Oscar has done reasonably well visiting other cats in the past). Is there anything particular I can do to help them get along, or is it just a fingers crossed and hope for the best scenario? If they don't like each other, I'll just end up dropping by to feed Oscar every other day or so, so it's not the end of the world, but I'd love for him to have a buddy to pal around with while I'm away.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm the kind of cat owner who just throws new cats next to one another and hopes for the best so take my advice with a grain of salt.

If you have a door with a large enough space for them to put their paw underneath it, place one on one side and one on the other. If cats can play together they generally get along. Also if they're the kind of cats who play with string or yarn having it go through that space so both cats can paw at it is another way to get them to play. Feeding them next to one another is also usually a good trick. If they're separated by that door and feed them at the same time it can make them friendlier to each other.

It also helps to have a Cat Toy Hostage Exchange. Take one of your cat's favorite toys or blankets or whatever, something with their scent on it, and take it over to Oscar's house. Do the same thing with one of Oscar's toys. On paper if the cats get used to the smell of the other cat it should be a smoother transition.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tell me how not to hate myself for not keeping a rescue kitty who turned out to have medical issues I can't possibly afford to keep up with.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Travis343 posted:

Tell me how not to hate myself for not keeping a rescue kitty who turned out to have medical issues I can't possibly afford to keep up with.

I don't know the exact situation, but that kitty will likely end up in a home with someone who can afford to keep up with them, which will work out better for all parties.

Now go and adopt a different kitty, minus medical issues, and feel good about helping them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I stand by my previous post in regards to kids making cats upset. It's just that I've seen too many kids treat cats too excitedly cause their parents didn't train the kid to deal with a cat, so the cat gets stressed, and that's what it sounded like to me. BUT maybe I read wrong. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

For example, this:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't know the exact situation, but that kitty will likely end up in a home with someone who can afford to keep up with them, which will work out better for all parties.

Now go and adopt a different kitty, minus medical issues, and feel good about helping them.

How often do two and a half year old cats get adopted from shelters, even without medical issues? He'd already been in there for probably a year or more.

Nah I'm a garbage person, full stop.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

om nom nom posted:

Is the goon (dee eight?) still selling Montana catnip? I looked through the first several pages of the SA mart and can't find it. Google search isn't yielding much either. I live in Montana and, ironically, even my local pet shop sells Washington catnip. I'd love to buy some local cat drugs.

He said he isn't in a GBS thread.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Travis343 posted:

How often do two and a half year old cats get adopted from shelters, even without medical issues? He'd already been in there for probably a year or more.

An owner will come along who can afford to take care of them

Speaking of cats making you feel bad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Travis343 posted:

Only two and a half? Pretty often, I would guess. I mean, I can only speak for myself, but that's about how old Tuna was when I adopted him, and now he's lazing around waiting for me to get home so he can receive scritches/meow for me to get out the laser pointer. There's plenty of people who want a mature cat who's still pretty dang young by cat standards.

You are not a garbage person, full stop. You will be a great cat owner once you finally find the cat for you, and that cat will love you for it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I have found the cat for me, this was going to be a second cat for me.

I wish I could take care of all of them

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I had a "love at first sight" thing with my feral. It's been 7 years and it still freaks me out how it happened.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Travis343 posted:

I have found the cat for me, this was going to be a second cat for me.

I wish I could take care of all of them

I have the same issue, I want all the one-eyed, three-legged diabetic little buggers. But Hats is right, YOU ARE NOT A BAD PERSON. Had you kept that cat, you would have beggared yourself trying to meet its needs and would end up in a worse situation for the both of you. What if you spent all of your money to keep it alive and weren't able to pay for quality food or other needs any more? What if you couldn't pay the vet bills for your other cat and something terrible happened? What if something happened to YOU and you couldn't afford to care for yourself? This cat WILL find its perfect, forever home. You're a good person for even giving a poo poo.

If you're really torn up about this, maybe ask the shelter if you could pay a part of the cat's adoption fee for when it does find the right place, or simply make a small donation. If you can't afford to make a donation in the size you'd prefer (although anything helps), give the shelter some old sheets, towels, or other linens. Maybe some paper towels too, or a couple of cans of wet food.

And don't let this dissuade you from finding a cat that meets your needs and parameters better-the best thing you can do is give another cat a happy home.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

For example, this:

You saw "my kid loves the cat more than she loves her parents and the cat like to sometimes go somewhere quiet to get away from the hugging" and thought the kid was hitting the cat?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We had this guy in our home for maybe 3 days and we're sobbing like he's going to his death. I don't understand why I am like this.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

om nom nom posted:

Not really; he retired from the biz, but has some occasionally. Best to just PM him and check, being local might make it easier.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Not really; he retired from the biz, but has some occasionally. Best to just PM him and check, being local might make it easier.

Every time he tries to get out, they keep pulling him back in

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Travis343 posted:

We had this guy in our home for maybe 3 days and we're sobbing like he's going to his death. I don't understand why I am like this.

You're a good person. He'll be ok and will claim someone who can afford his care.

To cheer you up, have my recently adopted 3 y 2 month old shelter cat chasing Da Bee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7L8p8k2IWo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For added catte please see Hope being hopelessly (ha) befuddled by a spinning laser for ten minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEHjE-SWdYM

(edit) With bonus CAT DRIFTING at about 30 seconds, that poo poo never gets old lemme tell ya

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 24, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That would surprise me. She hasn't had a hairball this whole time and her kibble is supposed to somehow prevent those from forming. She's eaten since and kept it down so I'll see what happens later this afternoon. Thanks again for the peace of mind.

One of our cats, Sugi, is a complete moron who will eat himself to bursting, barf it back up, then be really hungry next mealtime so he gorbs himself like a little fatty and barfs again. Repeat until we carefully dole out smaller portions and keep him away from the others' food. He doesn't do this as much now he's old and has a more sensible appetite though. I wouldn't worry too much unless it persists for awhile longer, she's probably just being dumb because, you know, cats.

Also sometimes he ate the stuff he barfed up, I guess to show us that dogs aren't the only gross ones around.

My fiancee's sister adopted a cat a few days ago, he had been neglected and had terrible fleas along with a flea allergy, but since then it has turned out he has a shitload of conditions the shelter missed, foremost of which is an apparently horrible sore in his mouth that keeps him from eating or drinking. He's been on IVs the last couple days and is hopefully going on a feeding tube tomorrow, we're all just desperately trying to scrape together the cash for him. He's so incredibly sweet and gentle and trusting and it is taking all my willpower not to bankrupt myself to help his care :ohdear: Anyway I just wanted to say take care of and appreciate your cattes, and send good thoughts to Hamilton for his recovery (yes, said sister is a teenage girl, why do you ask?).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

One of our cats, Sugi, is a complete moron who will eat himself to bursting, barf it back up, then be really hungry next mealtime so he gorbs himself like a little fatty and barfs again. Repeat until we carefully dole out smaller portions and keep him away from the others' food. He doesn't do this as much now he's old and has a more sensible appetite though. I wouldn't worry too much unless it persists for awhile longer, she's probably just being dumb because, you know, cats.

Yeah she hasn't done this since. I went to our vet, who was cool enough to just answer my question without charging me or anything, and he had the same opinion, he said if her behavior hasn't changed then she's just being a cat.

What we tried, after hearing it suggested on some forum, was to serve her food not in a mass in a bowl, but flattened out in a plate. For whatever reason this prevents her from gobbling up, to the point that she's kinda annoyed at how little she can eat, but she's not throwing up! Humans: 1 Cat: 0. (She manages to eat it all throughout the day, but it clearly takes slightly more effort than she's willing to make at the time.)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Are there any tricks to keeping an assertive pig cat from eating all of an unassertive picky cat's food besides locking assertive pig cat behind a door while unassertive picky cat eats?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The only suggestion I got is to enforce feeding times. Make sure Picky Cat is hungry when they eat and that Pig Cat's locked up. I'm a hypocrite though. I let my cats eat dry food whenever they want and my pig cat knows I"ll feed him more if he whines.

Cats will take advantage of you. If they know you won't budge on feeding times and portions they'll be less whiny about it, but if they know they can get extra food by sounding sad and being persistent they'll keep at it. But on the other hand, cats are used to eating small meals throughout the day, like 5 meals. So if you feed them their daily portion all at once they'll end up thinking they're starving to death and why are you being so stingy with all the food.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Bah. Old cat and kitten does not play well. Not so much hissing anymore, but now the kitten is chasing the old cat away. :(

Old cat is depressed and is just in her owner's room (owner can't have her for a couple of weeks, due to refurbishing her apartment) or at our parents office, and has already spent a week with the kitten with no much progress going on. It's a bit sad. Kitten goes around the house, rubbing up against anything the old cat had marked as her territory. Then, when we send the kitten to the office and closes the doors, the old cat roams around and takes back her territory, but she's always meowing, doesn't want to be touched or to play, and generally just seems depressed.

It's sad to see, because I love the old cat, and I really like the kitten, and the kitten will be staying here, while the old cat only will come to visit.

Though, it has to be said that the old cat never did take well to other cats, or people for that matter. She tolerates us (the family), but when extended family, friends, guests, or new people show up, she runs and hides, trying to get as far away. She does, on the other hand, fight off the other cats in the neighborhood when they move into her territory.

At any rate, it isn't easy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

So to follow on from my last post, does anyone have any ideas for helping Hamilton get some food and water in him comfortably? There's good and bad today; his fever's gone it seems, and the bloodwork shows no diseases or FIV, so that's great. But he's severely malnourished and underweight, and has no interest in eating or drinking himself because of the sore or ulcer in his mouth. They've been getting a little into him with syringe feeding every hour, but his chances aren't great without a feeding tube and that's hella expensive. Our current option therefore seems to be just keeping up with the feeding and hoping his mouth heals quickly but that's only viable for so long, obviously, and we can't keep him alive like that forever both for practical reasons and because it'd be cruel.

So, ideas? Topical analgesics suitable for a cat's mouth or something like that? Food so incredible that a cat will tolerate any discomfort to eat? Anything? :smith:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Mister Adequate posted:

So to follow on from my last post, does anyone have any ideas for helping Hamilton get some food and water in him comfortably? There's good and bad today; his fever's gone it seems, and the bloodwork shows no diseases or FIV, so that's great. But he's severely malnourished and underweight, and has no interest in eating or drinking himself because of the sore or ulcer in his mouth. They've been getting a little into him with syringe feeding every hour, but his chances aren't great without a feeding tube and that's hella expensive. Our current option therefore seems to be just keeping up with the feeding and hoping his mouth heals quickly but that's only viable for so long, obviously, and we can't keep him alive like that forever both for practical reasons and because it'd be cruel.

So, ideas? Topical analgesics suitable for a cat's mouth or something like that? Food so incredible that a cat will tolerate any discomfort to eat? Anything? :smith:

I'm sorry poor Hamilton is having a rough time :smith: The best cat food as far as 'cat goes nuts over it' I can think of is Tiki Cat. However, it's shredded, and I think your guy would do better with a pate, because he could simply lick it up. In that case Fromm makes a lovely pate, in several flavors. You can mix water with it to make it even more gravylicious.

As horrible as it is, you may also want to consider some of the crappy grocery brand pates. Some of them are like fast food for cats, and quality is honestly way less important than getting something inside him. Buy a few different things to try him with.

If he likes catnip, and eats it the way my guys do, think about sprinkling some on his food.

You may also want to try some goat's milk. It is excellent for cats and dogs on its own, is easy to drink, and will get some much-needed calories in the little dude. The company Primal makes a great one-in fact, they also do a freeze-dried meal that Hamilton might like. You could ask your pet store for a sample, as it's a bit pricey on its own.

Also, there are high-calorie gels you can buy in a tube that might get you the most bang for your buck as far as calories go. Something else to consider.

Good luck to you and Hamilton. I'm rooting for you guys!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thank you for those suggestions! I'll send them along and see if anything can work out - hopefully so! I especially like the goat's milk idea, I have a feeling that's got potential to really help.

e; apparently goat's milk is already popular with his adopter, so it should be no problem to try him with some as they have it available!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 25, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Use Google liberally to find out if there are local charities if you can't afford a feeding tube on your own. Myself and one other poster here had cats who ended up on them last fall and they were lifesavers. I was outright told mine might not survive getting the tube in, but she did and now she's both regained all her weight and become friendlier.

Whether or not you go that route, I'd also suggest learning how to administer subcutaneous fluids. They're the fastest way to rehydrate an animal.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, my cat Odin is the other one who needed a feeding tube- it was just a temporary thing since he'd messed up his mouth chewing a plant that he shouldn't have had access to but did. In the week he had it in he went from being on death's door from fatty liver to almost back to normal. We're about a year out from it now and health-wise it's like it never even happened.

Our vet accepts Care Credit, which is a lifesaver for things like that. It's basically a credit card for medical care (human med/dental and vet) that allows you to pay off the bill in installments with no interest as long as it's completely paid off within a certain time frame, usually 6 to 12 months. Dropping $500 on the tube all at once would have crimped our budget for sure, but $85 a month for 6 months we could budget in.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I'm a little nervous.

I opened a can of wet food but the tab came off, so I opened it using an electric can opener. It ended up having this thin curly-Q of metal along the side but otherwise it looked fine and I didn't see any obvious metal in the food when I dumped it out. A couple hours go by and now I'm worried, "What if my cat swallowed a jagged piece of metal I somehow missed?" I looked through the food afterward and couldn't find anything and threw it away just for good measure but I can't get beyond it.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

My cat is currently going through a phase of grabbing objects larger than her and dragging them around. She is trying to steal a pillow off of my bed as I watch. Is this normal or is my cat just a messed up dog?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That's a perfectly normal phase of cat behavior, she's just trying to construct a nest so she can be safe while she undergoes metamorphosis. You should make sure to provide plenty of building supplies, this is a crucial stage in your cat's development.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hamilton apparently was not a fan of goat's milk, but he did manage to take more food in yesterday nonetheless. I'll start looking for charities that might help too, thanks for that idea! We have a fundraiser that's been doing pretty well so far too, but that'll only go so far I expect.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there any known way to relieve cat allergies without an antihistamine? My girlfriend has issues when she stays over, and can't do antihistamine due to a history of epilepsy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Deviant posted:

Is there any known way to relieve cat allergies without an antihistamine? My girlfriend has issues when she stays over, and can't do antihistamine due to a history of epilepsy.

something prescription? trade in for a newer more advanced model? Something with hepa filters... (either the girlfriend or a vacuum not sure which at this point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Wipe the cat with Allerpet a few times a week, spray your furniture/carpet/cat bed with allergen reducer (febreze makes a scented kind, I use very diluted allergen laundry soap instead). Vacuum frequently with a hepa filter vacuum.

Out of all of these things the Allerpet works best for me. If I'm consistent the cats don't leave so much dander all over the place and I can snuggle with them too.