Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Chris Roberts is talking about instances with thousands and Star Network 1.0.

Meanwhile 3 years after the August 2013 release of the hangar module a patching system that patches is beyond them and three years after they first appeared, they still have issues with Lifts/Elevators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4zj7b0/during_gamescom_cig_created_30_builds_of_the_demo/

gamescom demo took 30 builds to get a working demo.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

When will Chris unveil Christanium servers?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

"During GamesCom CIG made 30 builds of the demo"

During? :psyduck:

Are there any photos of their coding staff from the con?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
apparently its just acripted animations, every journalist saw a different build. They would see something weird and they would fix it for the next guy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

New Around the Verse up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4hdRXOdfWg

I didn't think anyone could be worse on camera than Ben and Sandi, welp.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

XK posted:

There have been numerous discussion threads from the shitizens calling for the Star Citizen executable to enact electronic warfare against any other application on the system which could in any way be used for communications. This proposed feature, which no rational game developer would ever introduce, even reached the level in some backers minds where they were imagining Star Citizen running directly on the metal, being its own operating system.

Even if you did all that, couldn't people just use skype on their phones? Everyone who can afford a gaming rig will also have a smartphone or tablet or something that can run a chat program. Seems pretty futile to spend any effort trying to impede communication in the communication age.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That was the best thing CIG ever did.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The look on their faces as their lord shows them wonders...

And Chris and Sandi had a freaking table set up for signing autographs?? :psyduck:

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 25, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

:ironicat:

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 25, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Smart move on CIG's part. Not just getting people to watch for new information, but keeping them watching with a "will they, won't they" relationship. You can feel the erotic tension through your monitor.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

spacetoaster posted:

High level employees of a 120 million dollar company or the singer and bass player for a heavy metal cover band that plays to mostly empty bars? You decide!

edit: you know what, let's just say it's a Nickelback cover band instead.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DogonCrook posted:

apparently its just acripted animations, every journalist saw a different build. They would see something weird and they would fix it for the next guy.

That explains why Sam Roberts was ushered out before the grabby hands bit.

Nickelback are looking rough these days.

e:f;b BARN FOLK

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WTF is this guy wearing?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I disagree. The PvP slider isn't just an important feature, It's one of the main selling points of Star Citizen. Personally, it's the reason why I can tolerate the more MMOish aspects of the persistent universe. I don't want to get harassed by trolls and little kids while I'm on my grand adventure to the unknown. Meanwhile the people who do enjoy these kinds of unfair encounters can max their encounter slider and enjoy all the chaos that comes with it. Frankly I'm surprised that we haven't seen this solution in other games when the technology is clearly there. So far every MMO I've seen has take a one size fits all approach to the player base, but that might change when Star Citizen's more fine-grain solution goes live. I'm all for these solutions that focus on the individual rather than the whole. Hell, maybe I'll even take a step to the unknown and leave the slider to "low" rather than "none". The only reason I'd ever do that is because Chris actually gave me a choice in how much players I want to meet.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

spacetoaster posted:

WTF is this guy wearing?

That's clearly john tickler Thompson the third.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
There really needs to be a Star Citizen show or movie.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Not a cult you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4hdRXOdfWg&t=1099s

I like how they ended the AtV with a long, slow zoom on a dead guy.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 25, 2016

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Has cig ever mentioned how they are going to handle the network backed?

It's a glaring elephant in the room.

Companies that depend on network play often have to have substantial network infrastructure ... From rolling their own backbones and data centers to partnering with ISPs and making sure they are upgraded and can handle the traffic (I've worked for developers that paid other ISPs to upgrade their data enters and to make sure the upgrades prioritize their traffic).

It looks like from my perspective, this isn't really a consideration or they'll hire a 3rd party company to figure it out ...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Not a cult you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4hdRXOdfWg&t=1099s

Thank heavens everyone is bald in the future.

Big K of Justice posted:

Companies that depend on network play often have to have substantial network infrastructure ... From rolling their own backbones and data centers to partnering with ISPs and making sure they are upgraded and can handle the traffic (I've worked for developers that paid other ISPs to upgrade their data enters and to make sure the upgrades prioritize their traffic).

Datacenters are fast becoming redundant with cloud services; we just dumped one of ours for $20million an we're shifting infrastructure into AWS, mainly because of the concept of capacity. Most places run at 20%, but we're heading into 60% territory to save costs. This is pretty much what Amazon is doing with the shift towards microservices and lambda, we're just following that 'fashion'.

Bearing in mind that someone misconfigured traffic last year and cost us half a million in extra bandwidth charges before someone kicked the plug out.

But you've hit on an interesting aspect, and that's going to be the scaling of this thing; unfortunately, they're nowhere near those questions, and they appear to be running into issues with UDP saturating what they do have.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 25, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hav posted:

Thank heavens everyone is bald in the future.

It's the radiation.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Careful fellas, it looks like another drone has managed to find it's way out of the echo chamber and is now trying to spread it's vile bile around. Here's a loving message to you you useless pile of meat: You failed, you had your chance when CIG was keeping a low profile but that's over now. We've seen 3.0, it's real and it's better than anything we've ever seen. So listen up, you can just crawl back to the dilapidated hive from which you came from. No one believes your poo poo anymore, the mood has changed in and around the community. People from all over are coming to witness the greatness that we always knew was coming. This is going to be the MOST profitable year for SC and there's nothing you losers can do about it. Maybe you all should go make your own game since you seem to know so much about programming, after all, weren't you all certain that what we saw at Gamescom was supposed to be impossible?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
are we still riding the waves generated by gamescom or has anything significant happened since then?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Hav posted:

That explains why Sam Roberts was ushered out before the grabby hands bit.

Nickelback are looking rough these days.

e:f;b BARN FOLK

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah...

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
3.0 is real I'm playing it right now

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

are we still riding the waves generated by gamescom or has anything significant happened since then?

CiG employed Xeariq Knight. I had hoped for HR.

Feel the power.

roflingstones
May 19, 2009
this game might be a scam

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

"Death is only the beginning"
Pretty generic

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

The Meat Dimension posted:

Pretty generic

Monthly reminder that Roberts has explicitly promised a system where your character accumulates injuries, scars and disablities throughout their virtual life, and after finally dying the player will jump into control of their heir/offspring and will have to first deal with the paperwork of claiming inheritance.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Meat Dimension posted:

Pretty generic

White Wolf CCP Paradox should sue.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

kikkelivelho posted:

UPDATE 8/21/16: We still don't know exactly how large battles in the PU will be, but Chris Roberts' recent statements suggest we might see even 1000 players in a single battle. What this means for us is that our main battle group will most likely consist of multiple Idris frigates with corvettes and fighter wings on the flanks. A group of logistics and repair ships will provide support behind the main fighting force. Now these kinds of battles are not won with better ships or bigger fleets, they're won with proper communication and coordination. With this in mind, I've linked the latest versions of our command structure and comms protocols to the end of this post. The game isn't coming out this year so you all should have plenty of time to memorize these vital details.

I miss this kind of over the top spergy poo poo. :shobon:

Much better than the same old "It's not coming out. - Yaes, it is, yuo stoopid smart cock sucking goonie!! - LMAO, no it isn't, shitizen! Nice meldown!!!" again and again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

Careful fellas, it looks like another drone has managed to find it's way out of the echo chamber and is now trying to spread it's vile bile around. Here's a loving message to you you useless pile of meat: You failed, you had your chance when CIG was keeping a low profile but that's over now. We've seen 3.0, it's real and it's better than anything we've ever seen. So listen up, you can just crawl back to the dilapidated hive from which you came from. No one believes your poo poo anymore, the mood has changed in and around the community. People from all over are coming to witness the greatness that we always knew was coming. This is going to be the MOST profitable year for SC and there's nothing you losers can do about it. Maybe you all should go make your own game since you seem to know so much about programming, after all, weren't you all certain that what we saw at Gamescom was supposed to be impossible?

How many fucktrophies do you have commando?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Turns out the game looks pretty good on your 30th attempt when you've got a team of developers following your every move fixing bugs as soon as you see them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tarquinn posted:

I miss this kind of over the top spergy poo poo. :shobon:

Just bear in mind that '1000' people is literally just pulled out of Chris' rear end.

The best that we've seen is Eve online handling 1000-ish players in the same system extremely badly, mainly because updating 1000 clients is limited by the speed of light. Pre-dilation, you set your guns to single cycle, fired, then waited a couple of minutes for the client update to come through.

Bear in mind that Eve works on a very simply hitscan system and a stripped down positional model that effectively only cares about sig rad/sig res and distance.

Compare and contrast with keeping state on every person and ship within a given volume, then add an FPS hitbox system over the top.

Y'see, this is why I think it's all smoke and mirrors. There's a difference between being a visionary and insane. For a really good example, go check out Argentina's fusion project from the 1950s.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Erenthal posted:

Monthly reminder that Roberts has explicitly promised a system where your character accumulates injuries, scars and disablities throughout their virtual life, and after finally dying the player will jump into control of their heir/offspring and will have to first deal with the paperwork of claiming inheritance.

The paperwork only begins after you spend 3 months in the hospital and another 3 months in hospice care to take care of space cancer.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
We laughed so hard it made us piss
And what the hell is wrong with Chris?

edit: I am space Aetna, denying your claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

Just bear in mind that '1000' people is literally just pulled out of Chris' rear end.

The best that we've seen is Eve online handling 1000-ish players in the same system extremely badly, mainly because updating 1000 clients is limited by the speed of light. Pre-dilation, you set your guns to single cycle, fired, then waited a couple of minutes for the client update to come through.

Bear in mind that Eve works on a very simply hitscan system and a stripped down positional model that effectively only cares about sig rad/sig res and distance.

Compare and contrast with keeping state on every person and ship within a given volume, then add an FPS hitbox system over the top.

Y'see, this is why I think it's all smoke and mirrors. There's a difference between being a visionary and insane. For a really good example, go check out Argentina's fusion project from the 1950s.

Eve also has a tickrate of 1, the way SC's server/client relationship currently works that would give players the very, very cinematic fps of 1

• Locked thread