Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

fruitpunch posted:

How about Bauhaus? I've always liked songs like Third Uncle and Bela Lugosi's Dead but I never really know where to start with them.

There's a pretty solid "Greatest Hits" they released titled Crackle, which provides an excellent overview of their career. However, if you're looking for a compilation as an entry point as opposed to a studio LP, I think the double LP Bauhaus: 1979-193 has the edge in terms of selection (and includes the a live version of "Bela" as opposed to the studio version that appears on Crackle.

If you are looking for an LP entry point, start with Mask. The one-two punch of "Hair of the Dog" and "The Passion of Lovers" should not be denied. Avoid Go Away Whiteunless you feel the need for being a completist. Others may disagree, but I found it dreadfully boring. It was record decades after the initial breakup in 18 days or something to that effect, and it shows.

edit: I suck at tags.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

hatelull posted:

There's a pretty solid "Greatest Hits" they released titled Crackle, which provides an excellent overview of their career. However, if you're looking for a compilation as an entry point as opposed to a studio LP, I think the double LP /[Bauhaus: 1979-193]/ has the edge in terms of selection (and includes the a live version of "Bela" as opposed to the studio version that appears on /[Crackle]/.

If you are looking for an LP entry point, start with Mask. The one-two punch of "Hair of the Dog" and "The Passion of Lovers" should not be denied. Avoid /[Go Away White]/ unless you feel the need for being a completist. Others may disagree, but I found it dreadfully boring. It was record decades after the initial breakup in 18 days or something to that effect, and it shows.

This lines up exactly with what I was about to type before I realized there was a pagebreak.

Their 1998 live album Gotham is also not a bad first step.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Awesome, thank you.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

This lines up exactly with what I was about to type before I realized there was a pagebreak.

Their 1998 live album Gotham is also not a bad first step.

Press Eject and Give Me the Tape is pretty excellent for live albums as well. Gotham probably has a more expansive set list though, and it's got the Dead Can Dance cover.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Can a mod sticky this thread? I think it fits in right there with the recommendations thread as something that should be on top of page 1. I've gotten great suggestions here and I think others have too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

How about Monster Magnet? I love Tab, but that's kind of exhausting. I haven't heard much of the rest of their stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I liked Powertrip, but I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the band's work to say whether that's one of their better albums.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 17, 2016

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

How about Monster Magnet? I love Tab, but that's kind of exhausting. I haven't heard much of the rest of their stuff.

Dopes to Infinity had a most excellent single in the form of "Negasonic Teenage Warhead", and the opening track is absolutely stellar. I find that album to be pretty solid straight through. You might also check out the preceding LP, Superjudge. I'm not too up on their material after Powertrip, but I did listen to one of the later LP's Last Patrol and it was pretty good for stoner/psych rock from a bunch of dudes that have been doing that thing for a decade and change.

Short Version: Start with Superjudge and Dopes to Infinity. If you like what you hear, keep going.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Okay, real question: where the hell do I begin with Pete Namlook? I loved Silence V, but he's made so much stuff and done so many collaborations...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is a good starting point for Joe Jackson?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

What is a good starting point for Joe Jackson?

Look Sharp!, his debut record. Front-to-back classic. From there, I'd say skip ahead to Night & Day, which is also phenomenal, then start filling in the gaps. His later stuff I don't know too much about, but even when he leaves rock and roll behind, he still sounds like Joe Jackson, so it's still worth it. I caught him live a few years back, it was great.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kanye

I've heard Paris and Gold Digger and Stronger and Power and that's about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MooCowlian posted:

Kanye

You really can't go wrong with starting chronologically with his stuff. He's been putting out amazing stuff since he started back in '04. Start with his first album, The College Dropout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmgsfiklcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbmDFo-Z600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyWDhB_QeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYF7H_fpc-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBgv0frMSQ

Gold Digger's from his 2nd album, Late Registration. Stronger's from his 3rd album, Graduation. Power's from his 5th album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. And Paris is from a collab album he put out with Jay-Z called Watch The Throne. So he's been releasing strong tracks throughout his entire career, both as singles and album tracks.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

MooCowlian posted:

Kanye

Start with Graduation and move forward chronologically from there

or go Graduation > My Dark Twisted Fantasy > Yeezus > 808s (I love this one but many people feel the opposite thing)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Where do I start with Phish? I'm a huge Grateful Dead/jam band fan in general but never really got into them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with Phish? I'm a huge Grateful Dead/jam band fan in general but never really got into them.

The Analyze Phish podcast.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What about Robbie Basho? I remember someone telling me the dude could really play, but he's got a whole stack of records.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

I feel partially to blame that you didn't get a better recommendation, so I will try to actually help.

Please note, I'm relatively new to Phish, so hopefully someone else can also help.

I think it's important to learn the "standards" as a foundation, that way you can see what they bring to a live show. Much like how a newbie to the Grateful Dead should listen to American Beauty and Workingman's Dead before Europe '72.

For the standards, go with A Picture of Nectar and Junta. (If you like the studio sound, you can expand to Lawn Boy or Rift.)

After those two studios, it's time to try them live. The two shows that finally clicked for me were A Live One or April 4th, '98 (which is part of the '98 Island Tour).

Then you should check out Big Cypress.

Then:
Listen to Billy Breathes, Story of the Ghost, and Farmhouse
Check out 15 Must Hear Phish Shows for Novice's
Listen to Analyze Phish.

If you have Spotify, send me a PM and I will send you a playlist of songs from Analyze Phish.

Have phun!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

re: Phish, my entry point was the 7/16/94, released on CD as LivePhish #2, and I'd hold that up as a solid "this is what the band did at the time" sampler for new people. (my pov is that there's no point in trying to differentiate phase 1/2/3 when you're just getting started; the playing is different, but it still sounds like the same four guys) It's very song-oriented, but still has the drive of a live gig. The first set is mostly poppier tunes (Cavern, Horse>Silent, Sparkle, Sample) with only a few of them (Maze, DWD>NO2(!)>Stash) getting extended workouts, so you get a proper taste of the songwriting, which is something I always appreciate. Also Lizards, which is always fun. The second set pushes out into jam territory, opening with an all-time-great Antelope and a fun Harpua focusing on some of the current events of the time (I don't want to spoil it), then it's off to my favorite part of the second set, AC/DC Bag > Scent of a Mule, with the latter turning into the band trying to figure out how fast their fingers can move (answer: oh noooooooo). I'm not a huge fan of the Harry Hood that follows, but I'm not big on that song in general. The end of the set and encore are almost anticlimactic, considering the solid hour of playing from the top of Antelope to the end of Hood (Contact>CDT, Suzy) but they're not sleepers, especially the CDT.

Anyway. Too many words for now. Lunchtime.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Guided by Voices?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

me your dad posted:

Guided by Voices?

Most people will say Bee Thousand (and for good reason) but I'd start with Alien Lanes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GBV's approximately thirty quintillion records definitely means a lot of people will have weird corner cases they'll suggest (in my case, Isolation Drills), but BT and AL are both solid.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

me your dad posted:

Guided by Voices?

Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes (from the "classic" lineup) are definitely two of the better places to start, and are probably the best examples of the band's more lo-fi stylings. If you want glossier production to start with instead, Isolation Drills and (at least imo) Do the Collapse are the best examples of that sound. Really though if you end up enjoying the GBV/Bob Pollard style, hope you like spending lots and lots of dough on a dude who makes Prince look like an amateur when it comes to being a ridiculously prolific songwriter :unsmigghh:

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 26, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Human Amusements for Hourly Rates is honestly a very good Best Of and the album by them I listen to the most.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Second their best of album as a good starter; it was my intro. You also can't go wrong with Bee or Alien.

What is a good entry for XTC? I know a few songs but have never given their albums a proper go.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
For XTC, take your pick of Drums and Wires, Black Sea, English Settlement, or Skylarking.

Those albums are their most consistent. If you like more new wave and punkier stuff, Drums and Wires is a good starting point. If you like psychedelic music from the 60s, Skylarking is great.

If you just need one, Skylarking is great. It has their first US hit, it has great songs, and it isn't too long like their next few records. But any of what I'd listed is a good starting place.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

For XTC, take your pick of Drums and Wires, Black Sea, English Settlement, or Skylarking.

Those albums are their most consistent. If you like more new wave and punkier stuff, Drums and Wires is a good starting point. If you like psychedelic music from the 60s, Skylarking is great.

If you just need one, Skylarking is great. It has their first US hit, it has great songs, and it isn't too long like their next few records. But any of what I'd listed is a good starting place.

Thanks, starting with Drums and Wires because Making Plans for Nigel is a great song (and Skylarking isn't on Apple Music for free).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I hope you enjoy it. They're one of my favourite groups, but it can be daunting.

I'd tell most people to ignore their first two records (the best stuff was released as a single anyway), and then past that, it's all worth it.

Don't forget to check out The Dukes of Stratosphere. It was a great side project. They did the EP at their commercial nadir, and the LP after they bounced back, and both are really good. The album is just a great homage/parody of psychedelic music, and Pale and Precious is one of their best songs.

More people should listen to XTC.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hope you enjoy it. They're one of my favourite groups, but it can be daunting.

I'd tell most people to ignore their first two records (the best stuff was released as a single anyway), and then past that, it's all worth it.

Don't forget to check out The Dukes of Stratosphere. It was a great side project. They did the EP at their commercial nadir, and the LP after they bounced back, and both are really good. The album is just a great homage/parody of psychedelic music, and Pale and Precious is one of their best songs.

More people should listen to XTC.

I need to thank you once again for the recommendations. I've been listening to Drums and Wires, Black Sea and especially English Settlement non-stop for the last few days. Seriously, it's been a long time since I listened to an album that was as strong top to bottom as English Settlement. Looks like Skylarking is being remastered and should be released in the next couple months so I'll pick that up as well, and check out their other stuff as time goes on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Looks like Skylarking is being remastered and should be released in the next couple months so I'll pick that up as well, and check out their other stuff as time goes on.

...again? Didn't they just remaster it like five years ago?

editing for content, asked this, got no action:

Allen Wren posted:

What about Robbie Basho? I remember someone telling me the dude could really play, but he's got a whole stack of records.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 31, 2016

dooinit
Jun 1, 2016

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Neil Young. I listened to some of Le Noise because of the way everyone seems to link him to bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr., and I liked what I heard, but I also know that he's all over the place soundwise. What are the key points in his discography?

e: phone

dooinit fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 9, 2016

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

dooinit posted:

Neil Young. I listened to some of Le Noise because of the way everyone seems to link him to bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr., and I liked what I heard, but I also know that he's all over the place soundwise. What are the key points in his discography?

Two best points for me were his first self titled album and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, probably the best one with Crazy Horse. Incredible dual guitar playing on that one. Then you can check out Zuma and On The Beach.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dooinit posted:

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is the best mostly rocking album. After the Gold Rush is the best mostly soft album.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

dooinit posted:

Neil Young. I listened to stone of Le Noise because of the way everyone seems to link him to bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr., and I liked what I heard, but I also know that he's all over the place soundwise. What are the key points in his discography?

This is a guy who ping-pongs back and forth from one thing to another, sometimes on the same record. Not all of these records may be to your taste, but they're definite high points. Also, for a guy who's put out approximately three kajillion records, he's shockingly consistent---there's a loving lot of good ones. I'm going to skip some of a lot of the really good ones here, too, just to keep this from becoming a book on the topic.

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere (1969) - His second solo record, first of many with proto-grunge mutant garage rockers Crazy Horse backing him up. The first record where Neil really starts sounding like the Neil one expects, with three stone classic guitar performances---Cinnamon Girl, Down by the River & Cowgirl in the Sand. The other songs aren't bad, either.

Harvest (1972) - His fourth solo record, and by far his biggest seller, on the back of singles "Old Man" and "Heart of Gold." I still find some of the material awkward ("A Man Needs a Maid", I just don't know what the gently caress) but the vast majority of the record is fantastic, if mostly the folk-country-pop that doesn't draw much comparison to Mascis and Moore. It's also notable in that this record's success leads directly into Neil's first major weird period, with the records known informally as the "Ditch Trilogy."

The Ditch Trilogy - Time Fades Away is a live album from a tour where he was hosed up on tequila the whole time and was playing all new material to crowds who wanted to hear "Harvest." On the Beach was recorded last of the three but released second, and is a strange, murky beast. And then there's...

Tonight's the Night (1975) - The last Ditch record. In the wake of Crazy Horse guitarist Danny Whitten and Young roadie Bruce Berry both dying of drug overdoses, Neil puts together what may be his most consistent-sounding record, a brutal mediation on death and grief, and the title track is easily one of the high points of his career.

Rust Never Sleeps & Live Rust (1979) - Technically, both live albums, in that they're recorded on stage, with RNS featuring then-all-new material with audience noise scrubbed and overdubs added later, and LR being the full gonzo live concert experience. Both records feature Crazy Horse (nearly always a sign of quality) and both are divided between acoustic and electric material (RNS splitting it evenly between side one and side two, LR going acoustic for side one and part of side two, with the amps coming on for sides two through four.) If you get one Neil Young record, make it Live Rust.

Freedom (1989) & Ragged Glory (1990) - After spending the eighties being really weird and doing odd single-genre records (country, rockabilly, R&B, electronic), he gets back to business, first without, then with Crazy Horse.

Arc (1991) - This 35-minute (EP? album?) manipulation and collage of live material doesn't generally go on anyone's Neil Young high points list, but falls into the category of "things dooinit would probably be interested in" in that it was created on a suggestion from Thurston Moore after Young showed Moore some video footage from the same tour shot by a video camera resting on top of Neil's amps. Similarly, Neil's soundtrack to the Jim Jarmusch film Dead Man (1996) is a series of noisy, feedback-laden solo guitar improvisations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
A good rule of thumb with Neil is, if an album is bookended with a song, it is a Guaranteed Classic. Rust Never Sleeps, Tonight's The Night, Freedom. I love the guitar interplay between him and Danny Whitten on Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, but the recording tech of the time results in guitars that sound a little mild to modern ears, especially for anyone coming in from Dinosaur Jr. The important thing about Everybody Knows, of course, is that it's the only studio album with Whitten. Neil wanted to bring him back for After the Gold Rush and Harvest, but Whitten's heroin addiction had gotten out of control to the point where he couldn't play. The story goes that, after finally giving him the boot before the post-Harvest tour, Neil gave Whitten a plane ticket to LA and $50 to go check himself into rehab. Whitten OD'd later that night.

This is, of course, the tour that gave us Time Fades Away, currently my favorite Neil Young record and the beginning of his anti-commerical, proto-punk persona. It's the definitive transition album, a mix of the folk-country of Harvest and the loose, noisy rock yet to come and every song is dripping with emotion. The downside is that it's only ever been released on vinyl, due in part to Neil's hesitance to being that revealing, and in part to the recording having been done on a weird digital format that would supposedly make remastering difficult. This, I can attest, is bullshit because a test remaster was leaked, and it sounds amazing - you'll have to do some :files: digging to find it, though. I dumped the remaster onto a CD-R with Tonight's the Night, which is very much of a piece with Time. Tonight was recorded after yet another friend had OD'd (CSNY roadie Bruce Berry) and is Neil Young in full raw form.... so raw that the label refused to release it until after On the Beach was already out.

My entry point was the live double album Weld. Even though it was looked down on when it was first released as YET ANOTHER time through on the same songs, they were finally able to get the full live guitar distortion without the mics melting, and the old classics blend nicely with the new material from Freedom and Ragged Glory. Definitely recommended if you want an overview that's accessible to ears jaded by postpunk guitar.

The soundtrack to Dead Man was done around this time, which was almost entirely just Neil with guitar, delay unit, and amp on the verge of explosion - Sonic Youth meets Ennio Morricone. The actual album does that annoying 90s thing where they have dialogue from the movie interspersed with the songs/noise, so you're best off watching the movie first. Which everyone should, because it's loving amazing. The album also leaves off the actual fantastic opening theme to the loving movie for some reason, but you can find it on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOOEzp17Ec). It's still worth getting if you're into Sonic Youth or you want the hear the full takes that were chopped up and interspersed throughout the film.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mine was Ragged Glory which is just like, an hour of the same three chords and really long dragged out guitar solos and I love it.

I'm also partial to the album he did with Pearl Jam, Mirror Ball which is another rocking album.

edit: also that album he did a few years go, Psychedelic Pill is actually strangely strong considering he's been doing this poo poo for 40 years or whatever.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 10, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Everyone here has good Neil Young opinions.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Everyone here has good Neil Young opinions.

I think as long as you operate under the assumption that Neil Young is great, it's hard to have a bad Neil Young opinion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think as long as you operate under the assumption that Neil Young is great, it's hard to have a bad Neil Young opinion.

Except Greendale, am I right? :haw:

Actually for what it is worth I even like a couple of tracks off that album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Well drat, I think y'all posted about everything I would have said about Neil, but I really have to second this:

Allen Wren posted:

If you get one Neil Young record, make it Live Rust.
Do this, and you won't be sorry. I'd even recommend starting with LR then going back to Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, then working your way forward.

LordPants posted:

Except Greendale, am I right? :haw:

Actually for what it is worth I even like a couple of tracks off that album.
I can kinda take it or leave it but it's not all bad, yeah.

LordPants posted:

I'm also partial to the album he did with Pearl Jam, Mirror Ball which is another rocking album.
Hell yeah.
:):respek::)

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 10, 2016