Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jirou's move was surprisingly strong.

Intense dude is still cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Especially since Bad Seafood told us to quit it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blackheart posted:

Yeah he seems pretty fun. I can't wait to see him matched up with like Tokoyami or Bakugo in the inevitable tournament.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eustace posted:

MHA is really lacking in the villain department

I like the theme of the antagonist developing as the protagonist does that they're going for with Shigaraki. All for One is very scary; he's going to give the protagonists a lot of trouble when he inevitably escapes. And Stain is delightfully 90s.

On the other hand, I do think the villains' motivations tend to be a bit too abstract, and none of them are quite as memorable overall as the likes of Orochimaru, Dio Brando, Yoshikage Kira, and Hisoka.

Edit: I'm actually not a big fan of most of the One Piece villains either. It feels like, even though there's a lot of moral gray built into the setting on a big-picture level, arc villains aren't allowed to be anything other than pure evil, which gets a bit repetitive.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 25, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can't stop laughing at the one girl whose quirk appears to be "can collapse into my own knees."

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Green Intern posted:

I can't stop laughing at the one girl whose quirk appears to be "can collapse into my own knees."

I want her to succeed in this trial

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so loud guy has to be loud if he wants to be heard over his own drat quirk

also, this manga is so loving damned good you guys

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shigaraki's motivations have still been kind of hazy and high-concept and he's been beaten enough times that he doesn't have a lot of menace to him, but he hasn't had a lot of character development to make up for that lack of perceived threat. A villain that grows with the protagonist is a neat idea but he hasn't been given nearly as much screentime as Deku to actually show that growth. If he had his own actual subplot and his own foils and antagonists to overcome in the villainous underworld, and he had to claw his way to the top (especially after suffering constant defeats when his path does intersect with the UA kids, to the point where he even lost his mentor and benefactor), then that theme, as well as Shigaraki as a character, would be more clear. But that's all just speculation.

If I had to describe Shigaraki, besides with a shrug and a comment on how he needs to take better care of his skin, is that he reminds me of that kid you knew who figured out that the world has moral contradictions and the shock to his own underdeveloped world view was so strong that he melodramatically decided that bad was good and good was bad and nobody was gonna stop him from being bad, you'll see. Which is a starting point but not enough to really base a whole villain on so, again, you need some development to go with it.

Ironically, villains with more simple motivations are easier to write for. And depending on the story you're writing, that might be all you need.

Now the heroes and kids, on the other hand, are all fuckin fantastic and have done a good job carrying MHA thus far so a lack of a strong villain isn't actually that big of a problem.

Green Intern posted:

She's the kind of hero who won't fold in the face of danger

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I love most one piece villains. I'm weirdo who thinks Enel is one of the best villains in the series however.

Shiggy I like but he hasn't gotten to really do squat though outside of be threatening. Afo showed up and duked it out with All Might and was a dick but that was his one major appearance.

We haven't had any of the marquee badguys do anything particularly heinous yet directly to anyone we care about and stay at-large.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xarbala posted:

If he had his own actual subplot and his own foils and antagonists to overcome in the villainous underworld, and he had to claw his way to the top (especially after suffering constant defeats when his path does intersect with the UA kids, to the point where he even lost his mentor and benefactor), then that theme, as well as Shigaraki as a character, would be more clear.

We kind of did have that subplot with Stain and the Stain groupies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the villains with the most threat, presence, and even ramifications for the world at large are currently in jail. Shiggy's got to pick up that slack so I hope after this he gets some screentime to do so.

Shouty Airbender kid, however, is fan-loving-tastic and his quirk combines overwhelming strength, range, and precision in a way we've really only seen with Todoroki. It'd be hilarious if the reason he picked Shiketsu over UA was because of the swank-rear end police hat you get with the uniform.

Silver2195 posted:

We kind of did have that subplot with the Stain groupies.

True! And it's a bit of a shame that we haven't had a chance to see more of that as a running plot rather than a more overall feeling of change in the waters, as it were.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The issue is with Shiggy is that you almost feel sorry for him, but he hasn't really been...well, very villainous.

He broke Aizawas elbow and is really angry all the time.

You don't really look at him and think "That fucker! I can't wait to see him get beaten! :argh:" in the same way people look at Blackbeard, Enel, Aizen, Madara, etc etc.

That's what drives all the interest in the traitor subplot, because if it's not some literally who, it'll really hurt and give us a better reason to want the bad guys to lose other than them just being the bad guys.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Shigaraki and think he's great, but I do hope he gets a less conditional victory at some point; the VA's been winning the war but losing every battle, so while they're dramatically shaken up the hero society and such, it's hard to feel like they're winning when their every fight has ended with them losing people and running away.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Earthquake Kid's comments last week are interesting in hindsight. He commented on Deku's power as "a quirk so powerful it harms its user"--and we find out this week that his power works in much the same way, though probably not quite so dangerously.

I wonder if he sees Deku as a rival or feels a kinship with him as a result?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the problem iwth shigaraki as a villain is that while his power is dangerous deku doesn't need to get anywhere near him to inflict massive damage

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gotta say I'm not a fan of how easily wind guy took out 120 people(I'm not even going to get into how ridiculous that number is). Hitting so many targets by throwing randomly feels really dumb, heck even hitting a target from range in the first place would be ridiculously hard.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Blackheart posted:

Jirou's honestly probably one of the stronger students at UA. Sure, her ground-shattering earthquake wasn't quite as impressive as Earthquake Guy's earthquake, and her sonic blasts don't match up to Present Mic, but she's got both of those, AND super-hearing AND ear-whips that can hit hard enough to shatter rock, AND the ability to just jab someone and wreck them with soundwaves. And she's probably going to find even more ways to apply her powers as time goes on.

Green Intern posted:

I'm guessing she probably springs back into shape with a bunch of force, so she can do gigantic jumps, or retract her fists into her forearms an dpunch really hard.

RatHat posted:

Gotta say I'm not a fan of how easily wind guy took out 120 people(I'm not even going to get into how ridiculous that number is). Hitting so many targets by throwing randomly feels really dumb, heck even hitting a target from range in the first place would be ridiculously hard.

It wasn't just one blast, it was a giant continuous windstorm of balls, they were hit just about everywhere on their bodies, and that happens to include all the targets as well.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

RatHat posted:

Given his comparisons to Todoroki it seems to be showing that while he has a similar power level, he has the fine control that Todoroki often seems to discard in favor of brute force.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Lord of Hats posted:

It wasn't just one blast, it was a giant continuous windstorm of balls, they were hit just about everywhere on their bodies, and that happens to include all the targets as well.

If that's what it was I don't think it was drawn very well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

I love Shigaraki and think he's great, but I do hope he gets a less conditional victory at some point; the VA's been winning the war but losing every battle, so while they're dramatically shaken up the hero society and such, it's hard to feel like they're winning when their every fight has ended with them losing people and running away.

I'm convinced that the biggest headfake in the series is All Might surviving his fight with All For One.

Everyone expected him to die because of the zillions of death flags and he didn't. Well, those flags still count.

Of course he won't die in a big city destroying slobberknocker with AFO. He'll die pitifully at the hands of Shigaraki (whose main goal in life is to kill him still) when he no longer has the ability to fight or defend himself.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Of course he won't die in a big city destroying slobberknocker with AFO. He'll die pitifully at the hands of Shigaraki (whose main goal in life is to kill him still) when he no longer has the ability to fight or defend himself.

Yeah, I can see that happening and I don't look forward to it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

I'm convinced that the biggest headfake in the series is All Might surviving his fight with All For One.

Everyone expected him to die because of the zillions of death flags and he didn't. Well, those flags still count.

That is very possible, particularly since he wants to save Shigaraki due to him being the grandson of Nana and all. He likely wouldn't even fight back, between his physical weakness and his emotions.

Losing AFO has probably hit Shigaraki hard, too. His eventual return should be a big deal because, after everything that's happened, he's probably not loving around anymore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Something interesting to note: Hagakure, Aoyama, and Kaminari aren't in the group. Though their powers work better solo so it makes sense.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RatHat posted:

Something interesting to note: Hagakure, Aoyama, and Kaminari aren't in the group. Though their powers work better solo so it makes sense.

Hagakure is actually there. You can see her gloves right under the speech bubble in the group shot on first page.

However I also didn't notice Tsuyu anywhere which is kinda weird, considering that she is too level-headed and too big of a team player to lone wolf around.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh yeah I forgot about her. Is that all the missing students aside from Kirishima, Bakugou and Todoroki who we saw go off on their own?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just something I thought; I know it won't happen because money but goddamn if I don't want Ron Perlman to do AFO's voice. Go back and read his whole dialogue with All Might with his voice in your head- fantastic.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Just something I thought; I know it won't happen because money but goddamn if I don't want Ron Perlman to do AFO's voice. Go back and read his whole dialogue with All Might with his voice in your head- fantastic.

this applies to most things, in my experience

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

this applies to most things, in my experience

Can confirm.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah, I can see that happening and I don't look forward to it.

This being MHA he will do it to save Deku's Mom, a pile of kittens, some baby seals, Deku, Bakugo, Bakugo's Mom, Endeavor, Todoroki's Mom, Shirageki and himself all at the same time. And probably everyone else too.
Because even when he's retired, All Might is here to save the day and be awesome.

And Deku will probably save him too so it will be like, double super heartwarming or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I kinda hope Midoriya actually does some cool stuff during this test. He just got his new ability-set, so it would be a shame if we don't see him do anything impressive. I mean, he's stronger and faster than almost everyone else there (no one who doesn't have some speed-related quirk should be able to outrun him, and he can also throw the ball faster than most), so he shouldn't really have a problem catching enough people to succeed.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The one thing I did wonder here is what can Animal Voice kid do here... Like, can you bring pets into the exam? Or bugs at least, even if he fears them. Maybe there's some birds he can command to poo poo over his enemies.

Can't remember if this has been specified (if it was the answer was probably no) but it'd be funny if he could half control or influence animal-shape quirks or the principal.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blackheart posted:

The one thing I did wonder here is what can Animal Voice kid do here... Like, can you bring pets into the exam? Or bugs at least, even if he fears them. Maybe there's some birds he can command to poo poo over his enemies.

Can't remember if this has been specified (if it was the answer was probably no) but it'd be funny if he could half control or influence animal-shape quirks or the principal.

Kouda's power is potentially very useful (look at Skitter from Worm), but prior to his fight with Present Mic, his squeamishness held him back. He's still probably too squeamish to really use his powers effectively, but there's sure to be enough bugs and birds around that he won't be completely useless.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Kouda's power is potentially very useful (look at Skitter from Worm), but prior to his fight with Present Mic, his squeamishness held him back. He's still probably too squeamish to really use his powers effectively, but there's sure to be enough bugs and birds around that he won't be completely useless.

Eh, his power is like a WAY weaker version of Skitter's. He can command animals to do things but he doesn't have any fine control over them and can't access their senses. It actually seems super weak if he limits his use to non-insects, since there aren't exactly a large number of easily accessible animals in an urban setting that a villain couldn't easily defeat.

Also, it seems like he might need to be somewhat close to the animals or able to speak directly to them to control them (based upon Jirou breaking the rock open to find insects for him to use; otherwise he could just say "all insects nearby attack" and there would be plenty in a forest like that).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just read last week's chapter.

I want to make Ms. Joke into Mrs. Joke.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Waffleman_ posted:

Eh it'd be too expensive to change because of branding reasons

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Silver2195 posted:

We kind of did have that subplot with Stain and the Stain groupies.

I remember when they were first showing off the Stain groupies, one of them was this big monster looking dude hidden in shadows. I wonder if he's going to show up anytime soon? Seems like he could be the next "big" villain the kids have to deal with.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Maybe the shadowy big dude was just supposed to be that Noumu they had with them. And Horikoshi just changed up his design a bit by the time he properly debuted.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Waffleman_ posted:

She reminds me of Anna from Shaman King...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

dazoner posted:

She reminds me of Anna from Shaman King...

The headband and blonde hair kind of make that visual comparison unavoidable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Maybe the shadowy big dude was just supposed to be that Noumu they had with them. And Horikoshi just changed up his design a bit by the time he properly debuted.

From not a Noumu into a Noumu? That seems like a big change.