Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

You can, yes, but i don't know why you would be. You'd most likely die. Just lightning gun then from outside the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pharah's ult causes herself splash damage, so if she is low and you block with Reinheart or pop a Winston shield you can get her to kill herself. :derp:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So am I doing something wrong or is still dying after hitting Lucio's ult from Junkrat or D.va the way it's supposed to work?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The cool thing to do against Pharah's ult as D.Va is, you matrix while flying up to her, but then you drop the matrix once you reach her.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

pakman posted:

You can, yes, but i don't know why you would be. You'd most likely die. Just lightning gun then from outside the shield.

Yeah, you drop the shield and scoot out. Unless they're being speed boosted in some way neither hero is fast enough to get out of the bubble during their ult, and the shield absorbs enemy fire coming from within it, so Reaper just flails his arms uselessly for three seconds while your team shoots him.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The cool thing to do against Pharah's ult as D.Va is, you matrix while flying up to her, but then you drop the matrix once you reach her.

This guy gets it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rick posted:

So am I doing something wrong or is still dying after hitting Lucio's ult from Junkrat or D.va the way it's supposed to work?

From their ults? Sure; Junk's does 600 damage and D.Va's does 1000. Lucio's ult gives you 500 shield that tick down 100 per second, so D.Va's fucks you up (unless you're Roadhog and Lucio's ult just dropped), and if you're playing a 200HP hero and were a bit low on health or the shields already ticked down a couple seconds Junk's tyre can still get you.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

pakman posted:

I meant going into the shield to attack Winston. This is actually highly relevant from the latest match I played where an enemy Winston really put up a good fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufpWEQL7ABs

Sorry the video is a bit of a long one. We were completely steamrolled from start to finish. Then something like 5 meters from the finish we managed to hold off the payload for three minutes and win.

All credit goes to our healer "Songbird"

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rick posted:

Lucio's ult gives you 500 HP that drain away at 100 HP per second.

The Junk-tire deals 400 damage. If at least 3 seconds have passed since you dropped the beat, your Lucio burst will not save you from it.

The D.Va self destruct deals 1000 damage. If you are not a full HP Roadhog with either Nano-boost or a perfectly timed Lucio ult, you will die if you are hit by this.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The best thing to do when Phara ults is be genji, jump into it and hit deflect. Then giggle hysterically.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon
I wasn't expecting this much math.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

woah did i just stumble into the EVE thread you loving NERDS UGH

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

My favorite way to gently caress with Reaper or McCree ults is to slap a Winston shield bubble on top of them and wave.

Leaping and Winston-bubbling a Pharah ult is pretty pro and fun as well. Since the bubble falls you often just kill her too :waycool:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In the second round of a competitive match, it should be considered a faux pas to slam-pick the character that someone else on your team was using in round 1. Like, the game could technically allow it but have the word "RUDE" flash in red on your screen if you do it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gnome7 posted:

Lucio's ult gives you 500 HP that drain away at 100 HP per second.

The Junk-tire deals 400 damage. If at least 3 seconds have passed since you dropped the beat, your Lucio burst will not save you from it.

The D.Va self destruct deals 1000 damage. If you are not a full HP Roadhog with either Nano-boost or a perfectly timed Lucio ult, you will die if you are hit by this.

hey winston/rein would survive it with 100% perfect ult timing since their armor would reduce it to 995 damage!!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Countblanc posted:

hey winston/rein would survive it with 100% perfect ult timing since their armor would reduce it to 995 damage!!

Thank you

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Supercar Gautier posted:

In the second round of a competitive match, it should be considered a faux pas to slam-pick the character that someone else on your team was using in round 1. Like, the game could technically allow it but have the word "RUDE" flash in red on your screen if you do it.

On the other hand, there should be an increasing chorus of sighs in the background and a dunce cap that slowly grows on your characters head during a round if you're playing like a potato to let everyone else know to slam pick it next round.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Last night I had a game where my reinhardt shield was crumbled a good half second before a dva ult went off 2 meters away from me, in full view, and somehow I just survived it with no damage. Gotta think it was a bug because nothing out of the ordinary was going on. I tried thinking it through like if we had a zarya, but nope, couldn't explain it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

resistentialism posted:

Last night I had a game where my reinhardt shield was crumbled a good half second before a dva ult went off 2 meters away from me, in full view, and somehow I just survived it with no damage. Gotta think it was a bug because nothing out of the ordinary was going on. I tried thinking it through like if we had a zarya, but nope, couldn't explain it.

Can confirm, saw this and was very confused as well.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the eating souls thing is kind of wizardy

Those aren't actual souls, since Bastion and Zenyatta drop them too.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

demota posted:

Those aren't actual souls, since Bastion and Zenyatta drop them too.

Omnics have souls.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Blizzard really dropped the ball when they made the 4 classes that are total dead weight if played badly really appealing to teenagers and the child-like.

- Sexy apathetic sniper woman.
- OMG LIKE MY ANIMES ROBOT NINJA
- OMG LIKE MY ANIMES STOIC SNIPER
- Super dark and grim skeleton shotgun man who looks like every 3rd character you saw in City of Villains.

Meanwhile the classes you're pretty much always glad to see on your side in a pub game are totally unappealing to that demographic.

- Boring middle aged dad.
- Friendly middle aged nurse mum.
- Goofy friendly club DJ.
- Totally personality free military rocket woman.
- Big fat fucker.
- Butch androgynous exercise fanatic.
- Big goofy old fashioned German grandpaw.

So to make Overwatch better Blizzard should make Reaper a paunchy, balding tax clerk, Widowmaker should have Melissa McCarthy's physique and talk like she's from Clueless, Genji should have to stop and wheeze every five minutes because of his asthma and Hanzo should wear a comfy turtleneck and periodically lecture the player on college choices. Namaste, thank you for listening.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Disgusting Coward posted:

Hanzo should wear a comfy turtleneck and periodically lecture the player on college choices.

Dad?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Blizzard really dropped the ball when they made the 4 classes that are total dead weight if played badly really appealing to teenagers and the child-like.

- Super dark and grim skeleton shotgun man who looks like every 3rd character you saw in City of Villains.

Meanwhile the classes you're pretty much always glad to see on your side in a pub game are totally unappealing to that demographic.

- Big fat fucker.

So to make Overwatch better Blizzard should make Reaper a paunchy, balding tax clerk, Widowmaker should have Melissa McCarthy's physique and talk like she's from Clueless, Genji should have to stop and wheeze every five minutes because of his asthma and Hanzo should wear a comfy turtleneck and periodically lecture the player on college choices. Namaste, thank you for listening.

To be fair I think D. Va and Reinhardt are two heroes every team has use of and who are also popular. But you are right about many of these.

I'm fairly certain that Reaper, Mcree. Widow maker and Genji could all be nerfed quite a lot and still see heavy use just for their themes and design alone.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

- Big fat fucker.

Gonna be serious for a second and say that Reaper doesn't really belong in the same category as, say, Widowmaker because being a good Widow requires a much, much higher skill threshold than being a successful Reaper. Also way more people are legit glad to see a Reaper on their team than a Widowmaker or a Hanzo, edgelord jokes aside, because Reaper can get a lot of work done.

I was browsing the official Overwatch forums last night because I hate myself and there was a thread (one of several) calling for Widowmaker buffs and something I thought was vicariously amusing was an especially impassioned Widowmaker fan complaining one of the issues with the character right now is that they get no respect from their own teammates, but also that the enemy team will drop everything else in order to smear any blue-skinned Frenchwomen the moment they show themselves and you know what, it's absolutely true, I know that when I see a Widowmaker on the other team I make it my job to pick a character that just ruins their day and do so repeatedly.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pakman posted:

Won't a rocket barrage eat a rein barrier from full to dead?

Yes but it takes almost the entire ult to do it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hanzo should wear a comfy turtleneck and periodically lecture the player on college choices. Namaste, thank you for listening.

I would never stop playing Hanzo, and I'm not saying I'd be good with him, either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
All it takes to be a good widowmaker is a whole bunch of dead husbands.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Both the japanese should be one of these guys http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37178014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

To be fair I think D. Va and Reinhardt are two heroes every team has use of and who are also popular. But you are right about many of these.

I'm fairly certain that Reaper, Mcree. Widow maker and Genji could all be nerfed quite a lot and still see heavy use just for their themes and design alone.

mccree disappeared off the face of the earth when he was at his worst

reaper doesn't deserve to be in the same category as the snipers either because he's always been one of the best, most consistent heroes in overwatch

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

- Big fat fucker.

reaper is like one of the easiest heroes to play dude what are you talking about lol

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

the time banking system would be loads better if it skipped the character select screen same as for king of the hill. obviously it might be best to change compositions from offense to defense, but most characters are good on either and sorting out the differences doesn't take enough time to justify adding another 30 seconds of pre-game to every round

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

reaper is like one of the easiest heroes to play dude what are you talking about lol

"If played badly"

Like, if a Soldier 76 or Reinhardt kinda sucks, at least they're there with you, providing the enemy one more target and throwing out damage. If a Reaper sucks, he's off wandering around trying for THE PERFECT FLANK and providing no utility whatsoever, or firing his shotguns from a mile out and doing 0 damage. sorry youre bad at reading lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

soldier's a lot worse in every conceivable way than reaper, including at the lowest end. he's inaccurate and it's way more noticeable when he sucks because he doesn't use his heal

like in comp, I'd rather you just pick mccree if you're gonna go for range. reaper's better

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm the most effective with reaper when I'm behind my Reinhardt shooting anybody stupid enough to try and walk past his shield.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

"If played badly"

Like, if a Soldier 76 or Reinhardt kinda sucks, at least they're there with you, providing the enemy one more target and throwing out damage. If a Reaper sucks, he's off wandering around trying for THE PERFECT FLANK and providing no utility whatsoever, or firing his shotguns from a mile out and doing 0 damage. sorry youre bad at reading lol

A Reinhardt that sucks is a massive liability to a team, sorry. I mean "these characters suck if played badly lol" applies to literally every character in the game. Reaper isn't special in that regard, I'm sorry you've played with some bad Reapers but there are people who suck with everybody. Reaper's skill floor isn't nearly as high as Widowmaker's is in order to be effective, and he has a much broader form of effectiveness than a Widowmaker does in more maps and gametypes which means that no actually, people don't mind seeing a Reaper on their team in the slightest.

edit; my lovely Reinhardt story is a guy on Hollywood attack who picked Rein so I thought oh okay, we're gonna post up behind the shield and use it to get a pick or two before pushing in, so we all go up behind the Rein and get ready to do our thing at which point he charges forward, dropping the shield in some attempt to 1v6 the enemy team, whereupon we get shot up and Rein dies. This happens several more times before we realize that actually this guy super fuckin sucks, by which point the enemy team has farmed plenty of ult and we've barely achieved anything. We couldn't even use him as a distraction because he just died too quickly to be of any worth that way.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 26, 2016

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I'd rather have a bad reaper than a good mei on my team

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ahhpple posted:

I'd rather have a bad reaper than a good mei on my team

What about post-PTR?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What about post-PTR?

Probably the same. She still has all the usual Mei problems, namely that it's not at all difficult to focus her down if you don't do something stupid like try to 1v1 her with all your skills on cooldown. I guess her ult is better now but I don't think it's so amazingly great that it's worth giving up a character slot just to have access to it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Reaper has never not been a bad pick on most maps, especially KoTH. Hell back when McCree would roast him in a single FtH, Reaper still saw play in tournaments and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Any hero can be played badly and be a drag on a team, but some heroes require less overall skill to start hitting acceptable amounts of contribution. The reason people get annoyed at seeing Widowmakers and Hanzos on their teams is that the odds are greater that these players aren't going to be above average enough to justify the choice and will instead be camped somewhere far from the objective uselessly spamming shots with their precision weapons (well, "precision" in Hanzo's case) and getting poo poo on when an opposing player decides to go Winston and farm them for eliminations. An average Reaper, meanwhile, is someone who's still probably contributing reasonably to the team even if they aren't someone like MrPaladin who can go on a 20+ killstreak every single game. You'll still get lovely Reaper players on occasion who can't win a 1v1 versus a Mercy and bitch endlessly about how bad everyone else is but you get that with everybody, I had a pissy Soldier player on my team the other day.

I mean, this doesn't mean you can't make fun of Reaper for being the edgelordiest edgelord clearly designed to appeal to the what-a-13-year-old-boy-thinks-is-cool demographic, but in a surprising twist it turns out that Reaper as a playable character in Overwatch is actually good.