Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
To be fair the ultramarines tried to secede and make their own little confederacy when they realized Horus was kicking rear end all up and down the galaxy, so they're only sort of loosely loyalist as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

If you want to play the Best Legion then go for Ultramarines with their snazzy blue, if you want to be as grouchy as Bulbasaur, play IW.

Or if you want to paint blue and still be a bad guy, go Night Lords.

I want a ranged focused army, as wolves are going to be melee. Im thinking UM seccesionists.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Why would you play anything other than Sons of Horus?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Because I don't have daddy issues.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If you want ranged, Alphas without a doubt. Infiltrate right in their faces and fill 'em full of Banestrike.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Why use banestrike when you can have snipervets :getin:

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
Why use Sniper Vets when you can have Seekers with their Scorpius rounds? They're like Headhunters, but better in (almost) every way! Despite Headhunters being an evolution on the Seeker concept! Because that makes sense!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hummingbird James posted:

Why use Sniper Vets when you can have Seekers with their Scorpius rounds? They're like Headhunters, but better in (almost) every way! Despite Headhunters being an evolution on the Seeker concept! Because that makes sense!

The greatest trick the Alpha Legion ever pulled was convincing us they knew what they were doing.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
90% finished the big man - base needs touching up but its so drat hot in the UK atm I can't face painting any more.

And some wanky Prisma shots to finish it off

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a nice looking lizard man. Good work dude.

PantsOptional posted:

And, if you go Alpha Legion, you get the bonus of being able to swipe those delicious Tyrant Siege Terminators.

Be honest- it's all about getting a full unit of Iron Circle

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That is a really great shot, looks like it could be a stained glass window.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That is a really great shot, looks like it could be a stained glass window.

That wouldn't be a bad idea, print that out on some clear acrylic and stick it in a windowframe on some terrain.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
That's what I was a about to say, it's like an Imperial Chapel window. Stations of the primarchs. Vulcan looks great, are you happy you re-painted him? I think I can recall his paint job before. I think this one is generally more subtlety shaded and highlighted in a good way.

I never replied to your PM. Happy to hang on and see when you are free.

Follow up question, how are you feeling about the smell of Dettol at the moment?

Also, having just seen the news: America, if you want to hang onto Nigel Farage as long as you like please feel free. We never really wanted or needed him here.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 25, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey nerds, check out my dorks. Please excuse the crappy cellphone pictures, my good camera is damaged.
Group shot:

Tactical Squad:

The sergeant also has a magnetized powerfist option.

Chaplain:

This guy was a ton of fun to paint. It was nice to focus on a single model after working through twenty tacticals. There's another checker pattern on the model's right arm too, but it's not visible from these angles.

Dreadnought:

The ranged weapons are magnetized.

I'll be honest, painting black bored me at first. I'm much more used to green Dark Angels and that specific shade of dark green is my favorite color. It's why I picked those idiots as my first army when I was a kid and I've tried to work it into the 30k scheme where I can. There are also almost no details provided about the legion so far in the Forge World books so I've been working almost entirely off of this dude from book VI and the basic idea of Dark Angels as a whole having wacky heraldry everywhere. I've taught myself how to do checker patterns (which I may have gone a little overboard on), there are dudes with green stripes on their shoulder pads, elbow and knee pads vary in color, etc. All of this works to make the basic black and silver scheme much less boring. Also, it may not be evident from these pictures, but there are some basic attempts at wet blending a very dark grey with black on the shoulder pads and knee pads of the marines. The same effect can be seen on the raised edges of the dreadnought too. I've also done a ton of edge highlighting that isn't really showing up in these pictures though they showed up fine on the dreadnought somehow. I need to work on my lighting set-up. And replace my damaged camera lens.

I know pink granite and green marble is probably an odd choice for bases, but I wanted to avoid generic grey stone. White/grey marble may have been a better idea, but I'm liking my choices so far. I wanted something to offset the black/silver scheme and it gives me another spot to work dark green into the army.

My next unit is going to be another 20-man tactical squad to get those guys out of the way. I've got twenty more built and earmarked as future tactical support squads. Then there's fifteen cataphractii which will probably get expanded to twenty, two more dreadnoughts, and a bunch of HQ options. I am planning on building towards an Ironwing list which means I'm going to need way too many rhinos and some vets, but that's a ways out. Hopefully, I'll have my generic units fairly far along by the time Dark Angels start getting their unique units five years from now. Personally, I can't wait for Zionist terminators.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Those are so 30k. They're awesome. I don't think you've gone overboard with cheque at all

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Red bolters are the best bolters. amirite?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
What up red bolters and green heraldry DA buddy :hfive:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Those are some nice Dork Angels you two

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So the terminators from Calth come with the shoulder pads separate so you can use the chapter specific ones from FW?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So the terminators from Calth come with the shoulder pads separate so you can use the chapter specific ones from FW?

Yup.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is a good page for fully painted mans, but green bolters are best bolters (followed by red)

tallkidwithglasses posted:

What up red bolters and green heraldry DA buddy :hfive:

I always appriciate sexy BULBASAUR background snipes, thanks for posting

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I always appriciate sexy BULBASAUR background snipes, thanks for posting

I've also got some pics from the time we harvested gene seed from my Terranic greatsword and your Iron Warrior but I figured they weren't as relevant to this thread.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

Those are some nice Dork Angels Angles you two
Get it right. :colbert:

Thanks, y'all. I'll have to take better pictures when I get around to replacing my busted camera. That will likely coincide with the completion of another unit or two.

Also, in case anyone's wondering what that weird thing on the sergeant's backpack is supposed to be, it's how I decided to represent a combi-grenade launcher with stasis rounds. The tactical box has a backpack missing one of the vents which is meant to pair with the missile launcher. I chopped up a terminator grenade harness and slapped one of the launchers into that spot instead. I think it works fairly well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

Get it right. :colbert:
Quit being obtuse.

Safety Factor posted:

Hey nerds, check out my dorks.
I think these guys are among the first 30k Dark Angels I've ever seen painted up, and they're loving choice. The checks, stripes, and red bolters just scream "Dark Angels' to me, namely this one from the old painting guide in 2nd ed:

Your basing's great too. I think the only things that let you down at all are the axe on the chaplain looking a little flat (might just be the camera) and the Contemptor having a stiff pose, but that's the fault of the kinda lame plastic model, not your awesome painting. Never stop with the checks and stripes, ever.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

That's what I was a about to say, it's like an Imperial Chapel window. Stations of the primarchs. Vulcan looks great, are you happy you re-painted him? I think I can recall his paint job before. I think this one is generally more subtlety shaded and highlighted in a good way.

I never replied to your PM. Happy to hang on and see when you are free.

Follow up question, how are you feeling about the smell of Dettol at the moment?

Also, having just seen the news: America, if you want to hang onto Nigel Farage as long as you like please feel free. We never really wanted or needed him here.

Thanks man! I'll let you know when I start my new role on 5th Sept.

Dettol smell is gone thank god. Took a few days.

Very glad I repainted him!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm acutely aware of my error and will attempt to right it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Holy gently caress this thing is huge

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Looks like uparmored Deredeo legs. I guess since it's so broad it always looks shorter in the photos.

When I went to Warhammer World back in April, I got to play in a big Heresy game. I ran my old school Ultras using Legion rules and I proxied my Armorcast Whirlwind with the rules for the Scorpius. In one round of shooting I wiped out an entire 20 man Iron Warriors tactical squad. Needless to say, I immediately went over to the Forgeworld store and picked up the real deal for my Heresy Ultras! I'm really happy with how this tank came out, aside from the slightly off kilter dozer blade that I forgot to straighten in hot water.

I also think all the checks and greco-roman trim make it look like a Greek diner on treads, which is also good.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Since no one mentioned it, the Mastodon is up for order today.

Rules: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets//Mastodon-Rules.pdf

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

Since no one mentioned it, the Mastodon is up for order today.

Rules: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets//Mastodon-Rules.pdf

I love that big dumb GI Joe playset on treads.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did Black Shields have any sort of unified color scheme? I know they removed their heraldry.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Goddamn this thing looks cool but you don't get much shooting for your 700 points.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I think these guys are among the first 30k Dark Angels I've ever seen painted up, and they're loving choice. The checks, stripes, and red bolters just scream "Dark Angels' to me, namely this one from the old painting guide in 2nd ed:

Your basing's great too. I think the only things that let you down at all are the axe on the chaplain looking a little flat (might just be the camera) and the Contemptor having a stiff pose, but that's the fault of the kinda lame plastic model, not your awesome painting. Never stop with the checks and stripes, ever.
drat, that 2nd edition model rules. Believe me, I have no plans to stop the checks. It's gotten to the point that whenever I build a new model I start looking for the best areas for them. :shepface: I've got a fire raptor to build and paint and that thing ought to be fun. There's a lot of flat space on the sides and wings that are calling to me.

The problem with that axe is that it's just a flat slab of plastic. I could hit it up with some more highlights, but it's not like I can really shade it much. I kind of wish I had snagged a 40k black knight's hammer instead. That spike on it could have been justifiably called a power axe. Maybe I should go ahead and do that; the damage would be easy to fix. And yeah, the plastic contemptor sucks. I have three of them between two Calth sets and an ebay purchase and I'm trying to differentiate the other two a bit more. It's pretty easy to saw them apart at the waist to rotate them (with some minor reconstruction) and I've also sawed off the helmet of the third to turn it. That requires some green stuff work though as it results in a huge gap. I've tossed around the idea of trying to file down the scrollwork on the front plate, but I think that'll be more effort than it's worth and might result in some wonky damage. I'm still amazed GW is selling it separately for $60. A full-blown, plastic contemptor with some real options maybe, but not that thing.

SRM posted:

I also think all the checks and greco-roman trim make it look like a Greek diner on treads, which is also good.
This turned out really well. Greek diner's a good aesthetic. I won't lie though, I would need to fix that dozer blade. I also kind of want some spanakopita now.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

panascope posted:

Goddamn this thing looks cool but you don't get much shooting for your 700 points.

I'll take ramming with a superheavy transport to make up for it!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did Black Shields have any sort of unified color scheme? I know they removed their heraldry.

Nope! Generally they either just scorched off their heraldry, painted it black or took up a whole new heraldry. Go hog wild.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Because pretty pictures...here is someone's Angron conversion I found online:

This blog always delivers:

https://eternalhunt.wordpress.com/

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 27, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

GreenMarine posted:

Because pretty pictures...here is someone's Angron conversion I found online:

This blog always delivers:

https://eternalhunt.wordpress.com/

I like everything about this except the feather on the axe. He even did the standing blood like from The Emperor's Gift.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
By the middle of the Shadow Crusade the 12th Legion was committed to a path of damnation. Minds dominated by murderous psychosurgery, creeds corrupted by the influence of malign warrior lodges, they fell further into the arms of chaos with each world they murdered.

Here we have a Sicaran medium tank, one of few to survive until the late Heresy. World Eaters tank crews suffered an immense casualty rate, as their blood madness led them to shock the enemy in armoured charges, preferring to crush the foe under tread rather than fire from afar. It was not unknown for the enraged crews to abandon their vehicles intact to engage in melee assaults. Such unauthorized tactics were often met with commendation by the high command rather than admonition. Even those that retained martial discipline suffered from poor material support and atrocious states of repair as the Mechanicum pursued esoteric goals instead of operational doctrine.

Painted by me! This vehicle is minimally marked in the fashion of the 12th legion. A non-standard star marking shows membership in a warrior lodge, possibly representing a high rank. The laurels and skull marking on the main turret indicates the tank is seconded to a lead element, in this case the assault forces of Kharn and the 8th company command.

Following the apotheosis of Angron this tank would have been repainted red and marked with demonic sigils to invite the possession of its crew. Such daemon engines are few in number and hidden deep within the eye of terror. As individual vehicles are rarely identifiably marked in the 12th, we cannot speak of the fate of this specific tank.

I don't get a lot of comments on my painting when I post on Facebook, so I don't have much of an idea of what people think of this. Feedback is appreciated.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's fuckin dope as hell man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That is easily one of my favorite paint jobs I've seen for a Sicaran.