Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

xthetenth posted:

A weaker Russia could have made things much worse, for values of worse including generalplan ost and the Ruhrplex being one giant nuclear target.

That's to change one variable but leave the others intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Disinterested posted:

Would it actually have been worse than what we got, though.

Because what we got feels a lot like worst case scenario to me.

you can't possibly be serious

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can't possibly be serious

Oh?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Disinterested posted:

That's to change one variable but leave the others intact.

Which is totally viable for looking for a worst case scenario? Versailles isn't dependent on the outcome of the Russian Civil War.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Which is totally viable for looking for a worst case scenario? Versailles isn't dependent on the outcome of the Russian Civil War.

But you still admit the possibility of things that, with a rapid and decisive German victory, almost certainly would have not happened: generalplan ost.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The European Union is "worse" than Nazi Germany winning WWII?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

The European Union is "worse" than Nazi Germany winning WWII?

What? No, I'm saying that a long and drawn out WW1 is directly connected to the violent excesses that follow it in the next several decades, so that, regardless of the politics, it's conceivable that a swift and decisive outcome to WW1 by any party would have been better.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Disinterested posted:

What? No, I'm saying that a long and drawn out WW1 is directly connected to the violent excesses that follow it in the next several decades, so that, regardless of the politics, it's conceivable that a swift and decisive outcome to WW1 by any party would have been better.

This is fair enough, and not what I was getting from what you said.

Disinterested posted:

But you still admit the possibility of things that, with a rapid and decisive German victory, almost certainly would have not happened: generalplan ost.

I really don't think that anybody would be able to pull off a rapid and decisive victory against Russia in the 40s barring Russia being pacifist or something similarly unlikely.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I really don't think that anybody would be able to pull off a rapid and decisive victory against Russia in the 40s barring Russia being pacifist or something similarly unlikely.

But...we're talking about WW1? Man did these posts ever get tangled.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Disinterested posted:

Would it actually have been worse than what we got, though.

Because what we got feels a lot like worst case scenario to me.

Maybe it could have been better (better here probably being extremely dependent on your point of view), maybe it could have been worse. There's no possible way you can invent a century of alt-history and pretend that its likely or even plausible.

Disinterested posted:

WW1 is directly connected to the violence of the later 20th century, but it didn't singlehandedly cause them. Arguably the rise of the NSDAP and the events of WW2 have a lot more to do with the market crash of '29 than it does Versailles.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Disinterested posted:

But...we're talking about WW1? Man did these posts ever get tangled.

Yeah, thought you were treating WW2 as part of the worst case consequences, and horrifyingly enough that could have been worse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Disinterested posted:

I picked up Salazar's read, too. Anyway, it's a big leap from "we got the worst possible outcome" to what you said here (which I don't necessarily prima facie disagree with).

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

WW1 is directly connected to the violence of the later 20th century, but it didn't singlehandedly cause them. Arguably the rise of the NSDAP and the events of WW2 have a lot more to do with the market crash of '29 than it does Versailles.

That's true, but both the left and conventional elites in Germany were catastrophically damaged by the first world war, and the first world war created a lot of the conditions that lead in to fascism, particularly highly radicalised right wing veteran soldiery in the form of the freikorps and the necessary propaganda to propel them toward an irridentist and chauvinist vision. The 29 collapse, if it happened, would have been striking against much stronger and richer states with less of a groundswell of radicalism.

Also consider:

quote:

Yet modern historical scholarship says nothing of the kind. Hastings, Sheffield and their allies rely on the work of Fritz Fischer, a German historian who in 1961 published a justly celebrated book, based on painstaking research in the German archives, about Germany's aims in the first world war. Fischer showed that official German policy in September 1914 did indeed aim at subjugating a large part of Europe to the political and economic domination of the Reich. But nobody has ever been able to demonstrate convincingly that the German government went to war in August 1914 with these aims in mind.

Moreover, Fischer himself showed that there was widespread opposition to annexationist aims within Germany, and the opposition grew as the war went on. Far from being a ruthless dictator, the Kaiser, who changed his mind on an almost hourly basis in the runup to the war, was a flighty, indecisive leader who was quickly pushed aside by the generals once the war began. Wilhelm II was no Hitler. And Germany's largest political party, the Social Democrats, joined with the Catholic Centre, the second largest party, and the leftwing liberals while the war was still going well for the Reich to prepare for parliamentary democracy once the war was over; a democracy that the Kaiser, faced with growing internal dissent, was forced to concede in principle in his Easter message of 1917. Nobody can say with any certainty what would have happened had the Germans won the war, but it is safe to say that the rigid imposition of a monolithic dictatorship on Germany and the rest of Europe by the Kaiser would not have been on the cards.

Scholarship has also moved on in the half-century or more since Fischer's day. Nowadays, with few exceptions, historians take a more nuanced view. Christopher Clark has argued in his magnificent study of the war's origins, The Sleepwalkers, that it's time to get away from the blame game, and he is right. Every country had its strategic and ideological reasons for going to war in 1914; none was entirely without blame.

More important, the end of the war in 1918 was a victory for no one. The major issues were left unresolved until they were taken up again in 1939. Not without reason do historians nowadays refer to the whole period from 1914 to 1945 as "the Thirty Years War of the 20th Century". As for the first world war itself, modern scholarship regards it as the seminal catastrophe of the entire period, from which all the evils that plagued Europe in the following decades sprang: fascism, communism, racism, anti-semitism, dictatorship, extreme violence, mass murder, genocide and the wholesale abandonment of civilised values across the continent. Only from a narrowly British perspective, and in ignorance of modern scholarship on the period, is it possible to view the end of the war in 1918 as a victory for Britain. The men who enlisted may have thought they were fighting for civilisation, a better world, a war to end all wars, a war to defend freedom: they were wrong.

Though I guess the war, however it ends, has to have a 'loser' who's going to be in a toxic situation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've heard people unironically state EU 1950 edition as a silver lining for the Nazis winning WW2.

You knew Alan Clark?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

And this by the way is why counterfactuals and virtual history is stupid as hell.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Decolonization probably wouldn't have happened if the European colonial powers weren't crippled by two world wars would it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

Far from being a ruthless dictator, the Kaiser, who changed his mind on an almost hourly basis in the runup to the war, was a flighty, indecisive leader who was quickly pushed aside by the generals once the war began.
ah, Wilhelm 2. a good LARPer. a poor emperor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

And this by the way is why counterfactuals and virtual history is stupid as hell.
excuse me, my virtual history owns. it's my happy place.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

excuse me, my virtual history owns. it's my happy place.

i'm waiting for the series of novels, thanks in advance

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Koramei posted:

Decolonization probably wouldn't have happened if the European colonial powers weren't crippled by two world wars would it?

Eh, It would have happened at a slower place. The native educated civil servants would still have been been around to start asking the questions and starting the grass roots independence movements.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Isn't Moscow a giant railway hub in 1941? What does capturing Moscow do to Russian railway lines?

e;fb

Is there a map of the railway system in 1940's Russia? Closest I can find is something from 1910 or so and I'm curious about the logistics they were working with.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lakirovanniy Grob Garantirovan (Lacquered Coffin is Guaranteed). That's not a wartime nickname though, much like "Ronson" it became popularized a long time after the war.

Whatever the Russian nickname for the M3 Lee/Grant will always be funny in a morbid way, to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ArchangeI posted:

Mahan and his The Influence of Seapower was hugely influential on early 20th century naval thinking.

Mahan is fascinating in terms of his influence on naval thinking and how things bore out in history. He studied the use of sea power in the 17th and 18th centuries (this book was written at the end of the 19th), particularly focusing on the rise and reign of the British Empire. His analysis boiled down to the key to the British Empire in its global superpower and economic juggernaut was the Royal Navy and its control of the seas. His central idea, which was hugely impactful on Europe and North America, was that for a nation with a large coastline, prosperity could be attained by colonialism and kept by a powerful navy, particularly a navy focusing on large capital ships.

It's hard to understate just how much 20th century naval thinking and colonial geopolitics were influenced by Mahan. Everyone knew that Britain's colonies made the Empire rich beyond measure and that Britain's fleet was essential to creating and preserving that empire. One of the most significant factors for the British in the War of 1812, for example, was the prospect of growing American naval power and mercantile expansion, that the Americans might become a dire threat to British prosperity and security. Everyone who was everyone in the early 20th century read Mahan and his theories, and this had a lot of influence on the last gasp of colonialism that erupted around that time.

Mahan's work coincided with a technological revolution in naval technology as well, the death knell of the age of sail and the birth of the modern all-steel warship as exemplified by HMS Dreadnought. Mahan argued that whoever had the biggest and best capital ship fleet would have the best guarantee of its empire and the prosperity it brought - or the tool to build such an empire. These simultaneous revolutions in naval and geopolitical thinking, and naval technology, lead more or less directly to every naval arms race you've ever read about in the early to mid 20th century. Two especially salient examples would be Germany and Japan, which did not at the time possess much of a fleet or many overseas possessions, but both wanted the prosperity promised by Mahan's thinking and began building fleets to get it. Of course, the British Empire didn't take kindly to any notion of being unseated from its position of naval - and therefore economic - primacy.

However, anyone familiar with WW2 naval history knows that the big-gun warship ultimately proved something of a while elephant. Battleships were important tools of geopolitics, but as far as military use went they were somewhat inconclusive in WW1 and outright of marginal use in WW2. Mahan failed to anticipate the development and maturation of the submarine and aircraft carrier during the 20th century, ships and capabilities that dramatically altered the calculus of geopolitics in general and colonialism in general.

That said, I wouldn't disregard Mahan and his theories as completely wrong. He absolutely was right about the geopolitical power of naval power projection, but that power projection has found its true incarnation in the 20th and 21st centuries in the aircraft carrier.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

Depends who's in charge. Dudes like Churchill would have been loving stoked to put a bunch of upstart natives back in their place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cythereal posted:

However, anyone familiar with WW2 naval history knows that the big-gun warship ultimately proved something of a while elephant. Battleships were important tools of geopolitics, but as far as military use went they were somewhat inconclusive in WW1 and outright of marginal use in WW2. Mahan failed to anticipate the development and maturation of the submarine and aircraft carrier during the 20th century, ships and capabilities that dramatically altered the calculus of geopolitics in general and colonialism in general.

Bit of a tough sell on the carrier comment considering he wrote The Influence of Seapower Upon History in 1890, a decade before heavier than air flight was achieved. It's a bit of a tough sell on the submarine, too as they were highly experimental. Peral and Gymnote represented the state of the art at the time, and both were non-viable as war fighting weapons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bit of a tough sell on the carrier comment considering he wrote The Influence of Seapower Upon History in 1890, a decade before heavier than air flight was achieved. It's a bit of a tough sell on the submarine, too as they were highly experimental. Peral and Gymnote represented the state of the art at the time, and both were non-viable as war fighting weapons.

That would be my point, yes. Mahan failed to anticipate their development (in the case of the carrier) or the maturation of the submarine. Mahan wrote his theories in a naval world ruled by the battleship and did not anticipate the rise of two new types of warship that completely up-ended things once the technologies and doctrines involved matured.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Isn't Moscow a giant railway hub in 1941? What does capturing Moscow do to Russian railway lines?

e;fb

Is there a map of the railway system in 1940's Russia? Closest I can find is something from 1910 or so and I'm curious about the logistics they were working with.

Here you go. Moscow is a hub, but losing it isn't the end.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Whatever the Russian nickname for the M3 Lee/Grant will always be funny in a morbid way, to me.

Mass Grave for Seven?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
e: drat YOU TANKMAN

Jobbo_Fett posted:

e;fb

This is not perfect by any means, but it's reasonably accurate:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I could have sworn I saw an anecdote about some Russian unit that actually liked it, since it broke down a lot less than whatever they were using before.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

That would be my point, yes. Mahan failed to anticipate their development (in the case of the carrier) or the maturation of the submarine. Mahan wrote his theories in a naval world ruled by the battleship and did not anticipate the rise of two new types of warship that completely up-ended things once the technologies and doctrines involved matured.

So Clausewitz and Jomeni are irrelevant because neither predicted COIN warfare?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cythereal posted:

That said, I wouldn't disregard Mahan and his theories as completely wrong.

I'll keep that in mind when I come to it. In general with more dated works you're looking less at its finer details, which could be very period specific, and more at the underlying thinking and the rationales presented. Thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ArchangeI posted:

So Clausewitz and Jomeni are irrelevant because neither predicted COIN warfare?

That isn't my point.

My point is that Mahan's theories, while hugely influential on early to mid 20th century military naval thinking, were ultimately flawed. There were two major, worldwide wars during the era of Mahanian naval thinking, and the validity of that thinking was proven to be at best questionable. The big gun battleship was not the decisive arm of war except in a few instances, and the 20th century ultimately heralded the end of traditional colonialism.

I think it's important to understand Mahan and his work if you're interested in 20th century naval history or to a lesser extent 20th century geopolitics in general, but my read of history is that Mahanian naval doctrines proved deeply flawed at best and were not vindicated by history. The maturation of the submarine and the development and maturation of the aircraft carrier are two particularly striking examples of how Mahan's theories ultimately were limited.

hard counter posted:

I'll keep that in mind when I come to it. In general with more dated works you're looking less at its finer details, which could be very period specific, and more at the underlying thinking and the rationales presented. Thanks.

Essentially, I think Mahan's book was a very good work of history and absolutely shouldn't be discounted for its historical significance and influence on naval thinking and worldwide geopolitics. But as a guidebook for the future, as many naval thinkers used it, it was a very flawed document that failed to anticipate major world events and technological developments that lay just decades down the road.

Whether Mahan intended his book to be anything more than a work of history, is beyond my ability to say.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 25, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hard counter posted:

finer details, which could be very period specific
i posted in the rome thread about an article which mentions that 17th century military theorists were convinced that if soldiers ate grapes, they would die

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

P-Mack posted:

I could have sworn I saw an anecdote about some Russian unit that actually liked it, since it broke down a lot less than whatever they were using before.

Maybe that was the Stuart? The Lee was very negatively received by pretty much everyone I read about.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here you go. Moscow is a hub, but losing it isn't the end.

Mass Grave for Seven?

Wasn't it "Coffin for Seven Brothers"?

RE Moscow: I'm not saying it would be the end, but combining it with the loss of other major railway lines seems like it would seriously affect transportation capabilities. And thanks, I gotta remember to save this somewhere.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

i posted in the rome thread about an article which mentions that 17th century military theorists were convinced that if soldiers ate grapes, they would die

grapes killed specifically soldiers, not farmers or wholesalers...?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The term was "братская могила", literally " a grave for brothers ", but can also be translated as a mass grave.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hard counter posted:

grapes killed specifically soldiers, not farmers or wholesalers...?
from the king of spain to the ottoman sultan, if you were thinking about military maneuvers in the 17th century, odds are you believed this

all your soldiers, killed
https://www.jstor.org/stable/42555013

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Koramei posted:

If I recall, India, jewel of the Empire, was already due for at least semi independence before World War 2. Axe the first one as well and maybe not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Surely alternative rail lines would've been laid down if the Germans were getting near Moscow?