Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Witcher 3 was awesome but I haven't played it in months because I got burned out over so much stuff to do...are the DLCs good?

They are good, arguably with more content than most full games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Witcher 3 was awesome but I haven't played it in months because I got burned out over so much stuff to do...are the DLCs good?

I like the last one more than the main campaign ! The one in that Duchy

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Here's the depth of No Man's Sky

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Decebal posted:

Here's the depth of No Man's Sky

I actually felt entertained by Tiger games for a while, so you are wrong.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I actually felt entertained by Tiger games for a while, so you are wrong.

drat it! This then ?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Yeah, both of the DLCs are really good and are definitely worth playing. I'd say to avoid burning yourself out, or if you don't have tons of time to explore and the like, it can help to do stuff like only go after one school of witcher gear, or not bother with the races/fist fights/collect 'em all quests. Although, for the gwent card quest, you can buy a book with all card locations in the base game, so that's handy enough.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I take it Civilization Beyond Earth isn't even worth playing even with the expansion and patches

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol if you don't remember the joy that was Prototype 2 that boasted 55+ pieces of dlc free if you preordered the game and that is not mentioning the disc locked content out of your hands unless you preordered the game and waited at least 2 months for the timelock to expire so you can get a skin that doesn't even have mouth sync.

:smithicide:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mdm posted:

I take it Civilization Beyond Earth isn't even worth playing even with the expansion and patches

It's the most laughable excuse for a Civ game ever. I can't even comprehend what they were thinking.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

if only nms is elite dangerous with garbo combat and flight controls and no multiplayer

teh game is chill though and its a relatively low stress bideogame

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
The weirdest part of Beyond Earth was the victory condition where you just plop like 20 settlers randomly on the map after you build some dumb wonder, the gently caress is that poo poo?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

im pooping! posted:

if only nms is elite dangerous with garbo combat and flight controls and no multiplayer

teh game is chill though and its a relatively low stress bideogame

You know what is a good chill low stress video game? A movie.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jazzyhattrick posted:

I was excited for no man's sky as I thought it was going to be the closest thing to a Freelancer 2. Then I found out it was a gay dinosaur simulator :smith:
that, sir, is an insult to gay dinosaurs

Fallows posted:

THeres definitly multiplayer but our game is so big the chances of running into another player are so infinitesimally small you might as well not try, but its possible!!
totally moot, no amount of multiplayer would make it not a poo poo game

some amount of fixes and content might but who the gently caress knows if that will ever happen

too bad it even fails at the chill exploration category what with the terrible catalog of what you've seen, near impossibility of ever revisiting it, no real collection, bad UI, constant annoyances, and game trying to lure you to reset it and lose everything except for the dumb inventory you wish you didnt have to deal with

every time you get somewhere and you think 'ahh, finally, i like this bit' something will be around to ruin it shortly

but hey, doom is on sale for $20 at gamestop today so if you didn't buy NMS you can get three copies of a good game

Decebal posted:

drat it! This then ?

sorry, more challenging than NMS

i mean unless you intentionally gently caress yourself over anyway, which is a feat itself

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
and you have to wait around for those dumb fucker settlers to spawn out of the wonder lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Decebal posted:

drat it! This then ?

Wow, this thing requires practice and focus to master, I feel triggered, i should be able to play my vidya games asleep and / or comatose without any penatly to my results

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm interested in this We Hate Movies podcast

Is it good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm interested in this We Hate Movies podcast

Is it good

Check out this obscure "pod programme" called Flop House instead.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If you own a recent-ish Bethesda RPG on PC (Fallout 3 or newer should probably work, maybe even Oblivion) you can make yourself a pretty good simulation of No Man's Sky gameplay, apart from the randomly generated landscapes:

Install a survival mod that requires you to eat and drink, but turn the setting on how often you have to eat/drink down to low. If you could occasionally bump it up to high for a while every few hours that would be closer to accurate.
Make sure your character has the lowest strength/carrying capacity possible. You should probably pick up as many useless items as you can find in the tutorial area to decrease your carrying capacity even further.
When you get 10,000 gold let yourself remove one piece of useless items and throw away the gold. It should open up no more than 2% of your carrying capacity. The next time you will pay 10k more (20,000 total) and so on.
Install any mods that add extra houses or other poo poo in the landscape but only if they're as cookie cutter as possible.
Stick a colored piece of cellophane over your monitor.
Turn the combat difficulty down to the lowest level, and if possible mod in a cheaty weapon that kills everything and possibly give yourself extra HP. You do need to be vulnerable but it needs to take enough time that you feel braindead if you actually manage to get killed.
Do not do any quests in the game.
If possible, get a Choose Your Own Adventure book (if you don't own one, go to the nearest library) and open it to a random page whenever you visit a house in the world. Do not, under any circumstances, continue after your first decision in the book. You may want a couple books so you don't see so many repeat random pages, but this is No Man's Sky so don't mix it up too much. If you think you picked a "good" option when you read the results, you can get something for yourself from the house. Otherwise just leave. Needless to say, do not explore any extensive indoor areas.
I don't think there is any mod to make the UI as poo poo as No Man's Sky, so just make sure that every time you click on any menu item that you hold down the button for at least an entire second, maybe two or three.
Do not open the map under any circumstance, though you can look at the nearest points of interest on the compass. Make a "scanner" noise out loud when you do this and try not to look at more than one point of interest at a time.
Designate a point very far across the map (okay, you can look at the map just this once for this) as the "goal", when you reach this goal delete your equipped gear, any inventory that isn't useless poo poo to weigh you down, and pick a new goal point very far across the map again. If you can find a mod to occasionally warp you a far distance in a random direction (not necessarily towards the goal) that would be ideal.
Do not, under any circumstances, do the main quest.

I think that should just about cover the important parts of the No Man's Sky experience.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 25, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

It's the most laughable excuse for a Civ game ever. I can't even comprehend what they were thinking.

i told them that and they booted me off the team, lol

you should thank me for killing civ 6, it was basically a rise of nations clone with a hex map and morale mechanic

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The Witcher 3 is one of those games that comes out like every 10 years that just blows away everything else around it, and although I didn't mind it I wish the gameplay was a little bit better though

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

The Witcher 3 is one of those games that comes out like every 10 years that just blows away everything else around it, and although I didn't mind it I wish the gameplay was a little bit better though

It's really good, plus the writing isn't insultingly bad like 99% of video games

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Poetic Justice posted:

Yes, it shows how magical the game is that it is Literally The Best Game even with its gameplay flaws.

If I had any advice to people picking it up, it is to not try to 100% it, you will go mad. Just do all the witcher contracts, get witcher school gear, and do the main quest (and expansions).

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

Germstore posted:

No Man's Titties. Visit procedurally generated alien strip clubs.

no man titties? That's like 100% of player base

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kaedric posted:

Yes, it shows how magical the game is that it is Literally The Best Game even with its gameplay flaws.

If I had any advice to people picking it up, it is to not try to 100% it, you will go mad. Just do all the witcher contracts, get witcher school gear, and do the main quest (and expansions).
or go ahead and 100% it because even if that gets boring it's still better gameplay than NMS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CrashCat posted:

If you own a recent-ish Bethesda RPG on PC (Fallout 3 or newer should probably work, maybe even Oblivion) you can make yourself a pretty good simulation of No Man's Sky gameplay, apart from the randomly generated landscapes:

Install a survival mod that requires you to eat and drink, but turn the setting on how often you have to eat/drink down to low. If you could occasionally bump it up to high for a while every few hours that would be closer to accurate.
Make sure your character has the lowest strength/carrying capacity possible. You should probably pick up as many useless items as you can find in the tutorial area to decrease your carrying capacity even further.
When you get 10,000 gold let yourself remove one piece of useless items and throw away the gold. It should open up no more than 2% of your carrying capacity. The next time you will pay 10k more (20,000 total) and so on.
Install any mods that add extra houses or other poo poo in the landscape but only if they're as cookie cutter as possible.
Stick a colored piece of cellophane over your monitor.
Turn the combat difficulty down to the lowest level, and if possible mod in a cheaty weapon that kills everything and possibly give yourself extra HP. You do need to be vulnerable but it needs to take enough time that you feel braindead if you actually manage to get killed.
Do not do any quests in the game.
If possible, get a Choose Your Own Adventure book (if you don't own one, go to the nearest library) and open it to a random page whenever you visit a house in the world. Do not, under any circumstances, continue after your first decision in the book. You may want a couple books so you don't see so many repeat random pages, but this is No Man's Sky so don't mix it up too much. If you think you picked a "good" option when you read the results, you can get something for yourself from the house. Otherwise just leave. Needless to say, do not explore any extensive indoor areas.
I don't think there is any mod to make the UI as poo poo as No Man's Sky, so just make sure that every time you click on any menu item that you hold down the button for at least an entire second, maybe two or three.
Do not open the map under any circumstance, though you can look at the nearest points of interest on the compass. Make a "scanner" noise out loud when you do this and try not to look at more than one point of interest at a time.
Designate a point very far across the map (okay, you can look at the map just this once for this) as the "goal", when you reach this goal delete your equipped gear, any inventory that isn't useless poo poo to weigh you down, and pick a new goal point very far across the map again. If you can find a mod to occasionally warp you a far distance in a random direction (not necessarily towards the goal) that would be ideal.
Do not, under any circumstances, do the main quest.

I think that should just about cover the important parts of the No Man's Sky experience.

but ... but this exactly what I do with Bethesda games, not joking

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
More like Bore Man's Sky

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Iron Prince posted:

haha gently caress you nerd

7 pages in and this still holds true!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Kaedric posted:

what about the other two witchers

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Im enjoying NMS, but I can see I'll be bored of it in a week or so. It's a great foundation to add an actual... game.

It's basically a remake of Mercenary 2: Damocles with less stuff to do. That came out in 1990.

It took someone 26 years to remake Damocles.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

It has beautiful video game babes created by hard working poles too

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Decebal posted:

drat it! This then ?

no that one gives the player something to do

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Flesh Forge posted:

but ... but this exactly what I do with Bethesda games, not joking
well if you want a Bethesda game only with less gameplay, more boredom and more sameness, step right up

I mean sure I play with low difficulty just for shits but skipping the combat, quests and loot almost entirely is just sad

Sure there are upgrades besides inventory space but only a couple even worth having :shrug:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
No Man's Sky would be worth it if there was some sort of a single-player campaign instead of the developers jerking off over their algorithm (or whatever) generating infinite number of planets/aliens and expecting us to be OK with that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Justin Godscock posted:

No Man's Sky would be worth it if there was some sort of a single-player campaign instead of the developers jerking off over their algorithm (or whatever) generating infinite number of planets/aliens and expecting us to be OK with that.
Or if the emergent gameplay wasn't all exhausted within minutes

The little CYOAs from buildings are cute but that scarcely makes enough gameplay by any measure

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Skyrim's terrain has more variety than No Man's Sky's terrain which makes perfect sense given the difference in development team sizes. It's just funny how 14 square miles has more variety than 18 quintillion planets.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
you're better off plaing ASCII Sector

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Germstore posted:

Skyrim's terrain has more variety than No Man's Sky's terrain which makes perfect sense given the difference in development team sizes. It's just funny how 14 square miles has more variety than 18 quintillion planets.
You get a horse in Skyrim too, which makes the occasional difficult terrain a lot more bearable and also makes you more likely to go long distances. If you wander too far from your ship not only might you fall down somewhere and have a bitch of a time getting back up, but you've got no rover. You gotta hoof it all the way back or luck upon a base where you can use a Bypass Chip (and have the pittance of correct resources to make it, and the free inventory slot to put it in)

also Skyrim has fast travel and a loving map

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nms is not a good foundation for a game. every part of it is really bad.

solar systems with physics, a good flight model, a new ui, a good combat model, a good crafting system, a graphics engine that can draw more than 50 feet out in front of you. these are things nms needs before anyone goes and tries to tack more fluff on top of it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Real hurthling! posted:

nms is not a good foundation for a game. every part of it is really bad.

solar systems with physics, a good flight model, a new ui, a good combat model, a good crafting system, a graphics engine that can draw more than 50 feet out in front of you. these are things nms needs before anyone goes and tries to tack more fluff on top of it.

Hmm... Sounds like STAR CITIZEN might be for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i can get a good deal on some jpegs

• Locked thread