Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Oh good, it's back, it's annoying having to run a crappy screen overlay app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Merkinman posted:

And this is why we can't collectively get longer support by "voting with our wallets". By the time the issue would be relevant, they already have our money.

Well, yes and no.

Voting with your wallets basically means buy a Nexus.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
If anyone is curious about it I picked up a ZTE Axon 7 (the grey color).

Seems like a pretty good pick at the $400 level. It's fast, the screen looks great and battery life seems incredibly good compared to my 2014 Moto X. I like the size

ZTE's skin is alright (it's not wildly different from stock Android), though it's really stupid you can't disable the notification bell on the lock screen. The camera takes very nice photos with good light, but as reviews have stated the low-light performance is not very good.

It's sounds like the phone should get Nougat pretty soon so that's nice as well.

It's great that $400 off contact now nets you an awesome phone.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Thermopyle posted:

Well, yes and no.

Voting with your wallets basically means buy a Nexus.

I did, and my Nexus 5 is sure loving all these Nougat features...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Merkinman posted:

I did, and my Nexus 5 is sure loving all these Nougat features...

Yeah, my 486SX-16 can't run Windows 10 either. Fuckin M$.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I read somewhere that Snapdragon 800/801 code was being removed from AOSP so I guess that's why the N5 isn't getting it?

Also it's a 2013 phone, get a fuckin new one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Any flagship from 2013 onwards could run Nougat just fine.

EDIT: Turns out Nougat requires Vulkan? I guess that could be why they're dropping support.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ratbert90 posted:

Why the hate for LG? My wife has a g5 and loves it. It has been rock solid and fast since she got it, and the battery life is really great as well. The camera is fantastic as well. :shrug:

My G3's wifi hasn't worked in months and will bootloop the phone if I try to use it or Spotify helpfully turns it on for me. Bluetooth is starting to go too. The AUX jack came with a short and can think its a headset and skip songs. Gets hot if you try to use it for anything more than browsing or texting.

It's a bad phone from a bad company.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
On the other hand, my g2 has worked flawlessly since day 1 and I would probably use it for another year if it got softwate updates and I could easily replace the battery. People whine about the UI but I've never had a problem with with it. The most recommended phone here is also made by lg.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SwissCM posted:

Any flagship from 2013 onwards could run Nougat just fine.

EDIT: Turns out Nougat requires Vulkan? I guess that could be why they're dropping support.

Phones are not PCs. It is a not-insubstantial engineering effort to ensure an OS runs on a device and I submit it's unreasonable to expect updates on a 4 year old phone with the current state of phone manufacturing and platforms. It's not like Google goes "well it would be super easy to get this on the N5, but gently caress those people".

The fact remains that if update speed and length-of-receiving-updates are important enough to you, it is very doable to vote with your wallet. You buy a Nexus.

In the history of Android there has likely never been a point where voting with your wallet with regards to updates has meant buying anything other than a Nexus device.

However, most people (even tech enthusiasts) aren't influenced by updates as much as they are influenced by new, shiny, gimmicks, subsidies, financing, marketing, etc. It's unfortunate that people's priorities are out of sync with what many in this thread care for, but that's just the way it is.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

Seems to work:

Seems useful until you want to input text into the top window, and your keyboard covers the bottom window. (disclaimer: not part of N rollout yet).

I mean it would be a clever in-app-only way of displaying two Chrome tabs at once or something, and I can see why native Android multiwindow code would be useful for the sake of larger displays (no more stretched phone apps?), but on a phone it just seems like a feature added for the sake of window dressing.

[e] oh of course. 2017 Nexus: a G1 slider, with 10-bit animes opened from the removable-storage card and displayed above the skinned root-only CPU/GPU resource monitor app. The platonic Android ideal.

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 25, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

ErikTheRed posted:

If anyone is curious about it I picked up a ZTE Axon 7 (the grey color).

Seems like a pretty good pick at the $400 level. It's fast, the screen looks great and battery life seems incredibly good compared to my 2014 Moto X. I like the size

ZTE's skin is alright (it's not wildly different from stock Android), though it's really stupid you can't disable the notification bell on the lock screen. The camera takes very nice photos with good light, but as reviews have stated the low-light performance is not very good.

It's sounds like the phone should get Nougat pretty soon so that's nice as well.

It's great that $400 off contact now nets you an awesome phone.

I also got one and my experience mirrors yours. I'm currently RMA'ing mine right now for charging issues, but the phone (when I had it) was fantastic

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

spincube posted:

Seems useful until you want to input text into the top window, and your keyboard covers the bottom window. (disclaimer: not part of N rollout yet).

I mean it would be a clever in-app-only way of displaying two Chrome tabs at once or something, and I can see why native Android multiwindow code would be useful for the sake of larger displays (no more stretched phone apps?), but on a phone it just seems like a feature added for the sake of window dressing.

[e] oh of course. 2017 Nexus: a G1 slider, with 10-bit animes opened from the removable-storage card and displayed above the skinned root-only CPU/GPU resource monitor app. The platonic Android ideal.

I'm not sure if I'd rather have a G1 with modern innards or a similarly updated N1.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

On the other hand, my g2 has worked flawlessly since day 1 and I would probably use it for another year if it got softwate updates and I could easily replace the battery. People whine about the UI but I've never had a problem with with it. The most recommended phone here is also made by lg.

On the other hand, http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/lgs-g2-smartphone-gets-caught-living-in-the-shadows-of-giants/ . The hardware was great (battery life was amazing) and to their credit, I think LG updated it two major versions (4.2 to 4.4 to 5.0, right?). But the software is awful. The most recommended phone here has software made by Google, which is the main thing that LG and Samsung tend to do poorly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Phones are not PCs. It is a not-insubstantial engineering effort to ensure an OS runs on a device and I submit it's unreasonable to expect updates on a 4 year old phone with the current state of phone manufacturing and platforms. It's not like Google goes "well it would be super easy to get this on the N5, but gently caress those people".

The fact remains that if update speed and length-of-receiving-updates are important enough to you, it is very doable to vote with your wallet. You buy a Nexus.
The Nexus 5 isn't even 3 years old. Google needs to lengthen their support period (I'd say they should double it) to convince manufacturers to do the same.

It's not like Google is making any money from selling the hardware. The money comes from users on their platform, and support is a good way to keep users on it.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

butt dickus posted:

The Nexus 5 isn't even 3 years old. Google needs to lengthen their support period (I'd say they should double it) to convince manufacturers to do the same.

It's not like Google is making any money from selling the hardware. The money comes from users on their platform, and support is a good way to keep users on it.

The support window is probably mostly dictated by how long vendors support their chipsets. It doesn't how long you want to support a phone if Qualcomm gives up on the chipset a year in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

It came out in Nov 2013, it's almost 3 years old, and may very well be by the time the next Nexus phones are out. I think it's fair to get a new phone after 3 years if you want the latest Android, looking at how much has changed in 3 years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ah yes the oft overlooked market of people who have a 3+ year old flagship phone and care about new features.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

3 years is forever in the smartphone world. On top of that, the Nexus 5 was the " best bang for the buck" phone at the time. Expecting it to last longer than 2 years is a little unrealistic. Personally, I find it super annoying (IRL) when people complain constantly about their phone but refuse to get a new one. You paid $300 ~3 years ago for a device you use EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Do yourself a favor and buy a new one if you don't like it. It's probably one of more efficient things to spend your money on in the modern world.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Thermopyle posted:

Phones aren't PCs as you say. Also the devices Windows 10 can run on are far older than 3 years, so I'm not sure why you said any of that.

I'm sure there is effort involved, I just think the way things are now is wasteful and planned obsolescence. :shrug:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

b0lt posted:

The support window is probably mostly dictated by how long vendors support their chipsets. It doesn't how long you want to support a phone if Qualcomm gives up on the chipset a year in.
"Give us longer support or we buy someone and start making our own chips."

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Merkinman posted:

Phones aren't PCs as you say. Also the devices Windows 10 can run on are far older than 3 years, so I'm not sure why you said any of that.

I'm sure there is effort involved, I just think the way things are now is wasteful and planned obsolescence. :shrug:

PCs aren't advancing anywhere nearly as fast as phones are right now though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus gently caress the Note 7 is huge. Like, I know things are bigger in Androidtown but I've been using an iPhone SE since March and holy gently caress the Note 7 is a giant loving behemoth in comparison.

It does have an amazingly gorgeous display and design, though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
None of your 3 year old phones are obsolete

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

None of your 3 year old phones are obsolete

If it weren't $100 to fix it, i'd not be replacing my N5. It's never failed to do anything i asked it to, and quickly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

butt dickus posted:

"Give us longer support or we buy someone and start making our own chips."

There's zero financial incentive for Google to do something like that. They aren't a hardware company.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

It's interesting that the OS update came out before the next phones. Is that so when the HTC Nexuses are deemed "too old" by being the ripe old age of a toddler, they will have just recently gotten a full OS update of Android 10?

EDIT: oh nevermind I guess my math is off since my phone isn't even 3 years, but anything more than 2 years is a piece of poo poo dumpster fire.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 25, 2016

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

There's zero financial incentive for Google to do something like that. They aren't a hardware company.
You could argue that they bought Motorola to keep Samsung in check. They ought to do something similar if Qualcomm is really what's stopping them from updating older devices. I don't think that's the case, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

They're not a software company, either, but they sure seem to make a lot of it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

spincube posted:

On Samsung devices you get a smaller floating keyboard you can resize, if it's not implemented in Nougat yet it should be trivial to include it in one of the point releases.

butt dickus posted:

You could argue that they bought Motorola to keep Samsung in check. They ought to do something similar if Qualcomm is really what's stopping them from updating older devices. I don't think that's the case, though.

They bought Motorola, stripped their patents, then turned around and handed them to Samsung, so I don't think keeping Samsung in check was their intention.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

They bought Motorola, stripped their patents, then turned around and handed them to Samsung, so I don't think keeping Samsung in check was their intention.

They sold it to Lenovo.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

Why would you need to interact with the bottom window when you're typing into the top window?

I agree that it's more useful on a tablet than a phone but it's not like you're forced to use it so no point in disabling it on phones.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

They should be. Kick the OEMs to the curb and make the ecosystem less consumer-hostile.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've been an android evangelist since the release day of the galaxy nexus, but if google doesn't put out a decent tablet this year I'm buying an ipad and will be seriously considering an iphone 7 (7? Is that what it is this year?) instead of a nexus whatever-the-gently caress-they-call-marlin/sailfish-whenever-they-get-around-to-selling-them.

The things that google has done better than iphone have either been copied (notifications) or dropped (qi) and I'm tired of the "its a great phone, *but*......" bullshit.

I was really hopeing surface phone would be a viable competitor to move to or at least get google motivated, but win10 mobile is still a bad joke.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Need a cheap durableish phone with bands 900, 1800, 2100 for use in Senegal. Any suggestions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

I meant 3 years old...and its just about that.

Google should not put any money into supporting a 3 year old device.

The Merkinman posted:

Because the Nexus 5 is old in the phone arena just like the 486SX-16 is in the PC arena. It is not planned obsolescence, Google doesn't make any money off of a Nexus device.

Phones are in their early years. It will take a huge engineering effort and a huge amount of time to get phones to the point PCs are at now, if it ever happens.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

The N5 will still get security updates until November anyway. So it is being supported for three years. It isn't suddenly a worse phone than it was last week because it didn't get Nougat (the same is not true if it was no longer getting security updates). I really don't understand people fussing about it missing out. What great feature of Nougat does the N5 even need?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Google has been making huge progress in moving towards Google Play Services, which decouples it from Android version updates. It's almost completely unrelated now, so old devices can still do everything, just last the polish of the new UI features. There's a few things start still in the OS, but not really anything that is worth getting all butthurt over.

*note I have a Nexus 5x because I'm not an idiot.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I meant 3 years old...and its just about that.

Because the Nexus 5 is old in the phone arena just like the 486SX-16 is in the PC arena. It is not planned obsolescence, Google doesn't make any money off of a Nexus device.

Phones are in their early years. It will take a huge engineering effort and a huge amount of time to get phones to the point PCs are at now, if it ever happens.
They should be supporting it because their biggest competitor supports their devices for much longer. The iPhone 5 came out in 2012, was discontinued in 2013 and is still supported in 2016. Google also needs to put money into it because it keeps people in their ecosystem.

Comparing it to a 486 doesn't make sense, either. If the General Mobile 4G with a Snapdragon 410 (The same SoC as the 2015 Moto G if you'd like to compare benchmarks) is getting 7.0, the Nexus 5 with an 800 should be able to run it as well.

Tunga posted:

The N5 will still get security updates until November anyway. So it is being supported for three years. It isn't suddenly a worse phone than it was last week because it didn't get Nougat (the same is not true if it was no longer getting security updates). I really don't understand people fussing about it missing out. What great feature of Nougat does the N5 even need?
New APIs? Updated Doze? Better notifications? A battery screen that's not broken? Data saver? Multiple languages simultaneously? I see people complain about that last one a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

butt dickus posted:

They should be supporting it because their biggest competitor supports their devices for much longer. The iPhone 5 came out in 2012, was discontinued in 2013 and is still supported in 2016. Google also needs to put money into it because it keeps people in their ecosystem.

I agree Android updates are an issue, but you find someone with an iPhone5 that has the latest updates that is happy with their phone's performance.