Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo pissing me off: our ERP clusterfuck and EDI. Director left a couple of weeks ago, and with him went the most knowledgeable person about our ERP and the EDI processes.

So naturally, tickets are backing up because nobody knows how to do anything. We are 1099ing a previous dba who worked on the system, but that means I need to work with him after hours to work through tickets and knowledge transfer.

All while being one of two infrastructure admins for the whole company and in the middle of moving forward full steam with a datacenter migration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

devmd01 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: our ERP clusterfuck and EDI. Director left a couple of weeks ago, and with him went the most knowledgeable person about our ERP and the EDI processes.

So naturally, tickets are backing up because nobody knows how to do anything. We are 1099ing a previous dba who worked on the system, but that means I need to work with him after hours to work through tickets and knowledge transfer.

All while being one of two infrastructure admins for the whole company and in the middle of moving forward full steam with a datacenter migration.

You're getting paid for all this right? Bonus check must be pretty nice.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It is, especially if I stay through next year. I use that fact to help calm me down when poo poo gets stressful. I still only put in 40-45 hrs a week including after hours maintenance. Fixing poo poo Thursday night till midnight? Yeah, I'm leaving at lunch. Im not totally in a pod but the good outweighs the bad.

For now.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 25, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Listening to Bill talk about pretty much anything makes me want to run screaming from the building. He's like a platitude machine, producing the most content-free speech possible, punctuated by frequent inappropriately uproarious laughter, liberally salted with "no no no no no" and "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" and repeated use of "at the end of the day" and "look here's the deal."

I've never met someone who uses the word "understood" so often while understanding so little. Yesterday he was working on the top of the line Surface 4 he bought for himself on the boss's dime. He was wondering where the installer for Shoretel Communicator was stored. He'd just joined the Surface to the domain when he asked me about it.

Dick: We're using Group Policy to push Shoretel Communicator to any machine in the Los Angeles OU.

Bill: Understood.

Dick: So joining it to the domain is only the first step. The machine needs to be moved to the LA>Workstations OU.

Bill: Yeah yeah yeah yeah. Understood. So all I have to do is join the domain and I'm done.

Dick: No, you need to move the machine to the right place in our AD structure.

Bill: Ohhhhhh yeah yeah yeah yeah. Understood. So basically, I'm done.

Dick: No, not yet. I can move the machine to the right place in AD for you if it's not clear where it needs to go.

Bill: No no no no. It's in the right place.

Dick: Unless you went into AD and moved it then it's not in the right place. It's in the default workstations folder. We need it in the location workstations folder. So for us that's inside the LA workstations folder.

Bill: I was in AD. Just now. Yeah yeah yeah yeah. LA workstations. Got it.

Dick: I'm talking about Active Directory and I don't think you were in it since I was standing right here while you joined the domain. I'll move it there for you.

Bill: Understood. So we're good, and next time I add a machine you'll move it for me.

Dick: First I need to move this one you just added, but sure I can move any machine you add as long as you let me know.

Bill: But I got the um, policy for this. I got the policy so I'm good. No need to do anything. The policy's in place.

Ad infinitum.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I would vote not guilty on murder 1.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Straight up Justifiable Homicide.

"He kept coming after me with 'Understood', Officer. Even after I clued him that he, in fact, didn't 'understood'. I wish it hadn't happened, but I had to Stand My Ground"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And now because of the same consultants not giving us other needed information, I have to go in and edit 41 registries, probably by hand because I'm afraid of breaking them if I try to automate it. This is going to take days because remote administration is disabled.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

flosofl posted:

Straight up Justifiable Homicide.

"He kept coming after me with 'Understood', Officer. Even after I clued him that he, in fact, didn't 'understood'. I wish it hadn't happened, but I had to Stand My Ground"

But of course always let your lawyer deliver that line for you!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh for gently caress's sake, dev team. If you're going to move our premier software to new technology that changes our system requirements and installed prerequisite software such as .NET, at least consider the ramifications of doing so?

Can you even install our stuff if the requirements aren't met? Can you upgrade?
What's the upgrade experience going to be like for existing customers? Does the installer/upgrade installer throw warnings about it? Do they find out about the new requirements before they start to upgrade or after? If it's after, what's the expected behavior? Does our software even work? Do they see errors? Does it just fail without explanation? Can they revert back to the old version if they are unable to meet the new requirements for some reason?

If the answer to all of the above is "Uhhhhhhhhh" or "No" then maybe you shouldn't just make decisions like this unilaterally. Who approved this? No one? Why the gently caress not? Don't you remember the fallout from last time you did this?

This is the kind of poo poo that pushes our targeted release dates back weeks or months. Because we either have to add a lot more stuff to make the new requirement work, or re-do everything to work with our old requirements. No, it's not OK to just push it out and dump the burden of fixing this on Support. Sure they're capable, but the customers are gonna be pissed. Yes, of course that would tank our renewal rates.

aaargh

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off: New user, not told until 2PM when the new user goes to use the computer they have been training on for the first half of the day. Previous person came in for a half day and trained them.

I was not given user creation or termination email. This was also a rush job apparently since they interviewed yesterday. There were 4 hours this morning, please tell me "Make this account, kill this one at 1PM user 1 is training user 2 and then leaving."

It really is terrible timing on him leaving, that department is already short staffed and they are pulling in customer service people when the phones aren't busy to cover.

I hate feeling like someone is waiting on me when I make accounts, most are scripted and pop out a random password, but others just give me the proper formatting of the username and generated password and I have to go make them because we have a few pieces of software that don't offer any native way to script user creation and permissions and I'd rather not make an AHK or AutoIt script and let it run loose.

Of course while I'm doing this phones go out so it took an hour to get back to the user.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pissing me off: This is something that I never thought would happen here (not because we're better than that, but because we don't typically physically handle machines). I get CC'd on an email from a project coordinator to a client "Please call MF_James when you arrive with machine, here's his PERSONAL CELL NUMBER". Motherfucker I have gvoice for a reason, or, you know, MY loving OFFICE PHONE NUMBER. Also, where is the ticket on this? What the gently caress is going on?

Then, the coordinator says I should already know what's going on because we discussed it earlier (this was like a 10 minute conversation, about halfway through I questioned my own sanity, and if I potentially was dosed with LSD), but after 10 minutes he realizes he mistook me for a coworker. i'm fairly baffled because I'm a 6' white dude, the coworker that he confused me with is a 5'7" latin guy that's probably 100lbs heavier than myself.

There's more to this dumpster fire of idiocy, but I'm too lazy to type and no one probably cares.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

something something do it in prod

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And now because of the same consultants not giving us other needed information, I have to go in and edit 41 registries, probably by hand because I'm afraid of breaking them if I try to automate it. This is going to take days because remote administration is disabled.

What kind of registry edits are you having to make? That stuff is hella easy in Powershell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you are deathly afraid of typos then you thinking about it backwards.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

What kind of registry edits are you having to make? That stuff is hella easy in Powershell.

Changing two keys, unfortunately it has to be done on every user's account, and will also need to be done on any new users. Alternately I could delete the whole tree of keys for every user who has already used it, uninstall the program and reinstall with the correct configuration. Alternately alternately I can try to convince my lead to give me access to group policy I can just have the configuration set for every new user. I'd like that option a lot more since that wouldn't involve about 2/3s of a week's work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Changing two keys, unfortunately it has to be done on every user's account, and will also need to be done on any new users. Alternately I could delete the whole tree of keys for every user who has already used it, uninstall the program and reinstall with the correct configuration. Alternately alternately I can try to convince my lead to give me access to group policy I can just have the configuration set for every new user. I'd like that option a lot more since that wouldn't involve about 2/3s of a week's work.

If it has to be done for new users then GPO is the only reasonable answer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sickening posted:

If you are deathly afraid of typos then you thinking about it backwards.

This. You need to change two keys on 41 systems. That makes 82 places you can have a typo doing it manually versus two if you script it. Plus every time you need to do it on a new user. If it's scripted you know it's going to get done right every time no matter who's running it or how distracted/drunk/high/stupid they are.

If you typo the key paths the worst thing you could end up doing is creating a key that'll never get used, so that possible failure is harmless. If you typo the change itself in the script, just fix it and re-run the script.

If this was a situation where an error could wipe out user-specific data that actually matters and would be painful to restore, that's when to actually worry about things, but in this situation the worst case is just having to fix the script and run it again. No big deal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. If we had been told we needed to set it up with that particular configuration as default, we wouldn't have had to do anything, but these people we're working with are awful.

I have only been here two months, and I'm already wanting to leave. I'm going to start applying like crazy a couple months before the contract is up. Maybe it will get better once this huge transition is over, but with what I'm learning I could probably make a lot more with better benefits.

E: guy who snuck a post in above me, is there any way to cycle through all of the users who have ever logged on to apply the changes to them?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: guy who snuck a post in above me, is there any way to cycle through all of the users who have ever logged on to apply the changes to them?

You would need their login credentials for that, which you shouldn't have.

Just make a logon GPO, anything else is dumb and ridiculous.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Inspector_666 posted:

You would need their login credentials for that, which you shouldn't have.

Just make a logon GPO, anything else is dumb and ridiculous.

Yeah, this is seriously a 5 minute GPO change, your workplace is dumb and is actively blocking you from doing your job effectively.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

"no no no no no" and "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah"

I'm just morbidly curious and I'm not sure what would be worse: does he say these things rapid-fire (think Shia LeBouf) or does he take a couple seconds to get them all out?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

To be clear, we're talking about a key that's under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive and you need the script to change it for every user on the system?

My first instinct would be to just set up the change as a GPO that runs when a user logs in. Sure, if user X logged on to computer Y once and hasn't since it won't be changed until they do log in, but who cares?

If for whatever reason (making a boss happy, stupid software behavior, etc.) you need to change all the users' settings without them having to log on first you have a harder problem. Registry hives aren't kept loaded for users who aren't logged in. Once a user has logged in they'll show up under HKEY_USERS listed by SID and someone with appropriate privileges can edit them, but if the user hasn't logged in to that PC recently (since it booted I think) the user's hive would have to be loaded manually.

Here's the basic idea on that one:

1. Run through HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and get the ProfileImagePath for the users you want.
2. Load $profileimagepath\ntuser.dat in to HKU (I've never needed to do this myself so I'm not 100% on it, but here's a page (http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/modifying-the-registry-of-another-user/) that seems to show it being really easy from any scripting language that you could call "reg" from. If your language of choice has a registry API it might also have a native function to do this.
3. Run through HKU\<user>\ and make your changes to all the registries you just loaded.
4. Optionally unload the additional registries, or just reboot and that'll probably do it too.

Obviously that'll have to run as a privileged account. Again though, this way would be stupid and the right answer is a GPO or at least a login script.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

MF_James posted:

pissing me off: This is something that I never thought would happen here (not because we're better than that, but because we don't typically physically handle machines). I get CC'd on an email from a project coordinator to a client "Please call MF_James when you arrive with machine, here's his PERSONAL CELL NUMBER". Motherfucker I have gvoice for a reason, or, you know, MY loving OFFICE PHONE NUMBER. Also, where is the ticket on this? What the gently caress is going on?

I feel for you. People giving out my personal cell phone number (or calling it for work related stuff period, I have a company phone for a reason) is like my #1 pet peeve and in the past I've even told people off about it right in front of every C-level we have.

Only took two years but they finally seem to have gotten the point.

Anyways :justpost:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Che Delilas posted:

I'm just morbidly curious and I'm not sure what would be worse: does he say these things rapid-fire (think Shia LeBouf) or does he take a couple seconds to get them all out?

Rapid fire. There is also furious head-nodding to go along with the blank lizard-like stare when he has no loving idea what someone's talking about. Make sure to bray like a goddamn donkey at comments that aren't even meant to be funny, pound on the desk and wheeze out your forced laughter. That's what works for him. Bow, scrape, laugh repeat.

If not for his attack on me last fall I wouldn't care so much, but it added a layer of malevolence to go with his overall Village Idiot persona. His dumbness is an oily layer floating upon a deep, dark well of anger, at himself, at his family and I expect at being an indentured servant to the CEO and my boss. If he thinks someone's unimportant the mask drops and he treats them like poo poo, not to mention his virulent bigotry that he's so comfortable trotting out for the inner circle.

He's a disgusting worm of a man and I look forward to when I no longer have to be exposed to his creeping stupidity.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
My boss brought a can of bug spray to work and keeps spraying it. My head is pounding and it stinks. Ask me about working in an open office environment! :confuoot:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Yeah, this is seriously a 5 minute GPO change, your workplace is dumb and is actively blocking you from doing your job effectively.

They are keeping my permissions relatively locked down since I'm still on an unofficial sort of probationary period, but I'm definitely pushing for that tomorrow, along with more AD permissions. As it is now, I can't even move an object between OUs, it's ridiculous. Particularly because the guy who set my permissions has asked me to do that in the past.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sheep posted:

I feel for you. People giving out my personal cell phone number (or calling it for work related stuff period, I have a company phone for a reason) is like my #1 pet peeve and in the past I've even told people off about it right in front of every C-level we have.

Only took two years but they finally seem to have gotten the point.

Anyways :justpost:

Google voice number, cmon son. If I ever have to burn bridges entirely all I have to do is click two buttons in Google voice and I have a new number. Not that I anticipate having to, but its a nice option to have. Nobody knows my personal cell number except for HR.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Google voice number, cmon son. If I ever have to burn bridges entirely all I have to do is click two buttons in Google voice and I have a new number. Not that I anticipate having to, but its a nice option to have. Nobody knows my personal cell number except for HR.

We have an internal platform we use and the info that is accessible there is the same that HR uses so not an option for me.

But yeah next job I'm just using GV cause gently caress giving anyone at work, including HR, my real personal number ever again.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A request came in from VP of tech to "investigate using Sharepoint". I explained that sharepoint is delivered as an empty shell and has to be built from the ground up, so sharepoint is exactly what you put into it. I then asked what goals were we looking to accomplish with Sharepoint.

"Well another VP said we should try it, and my son uses it at his workplace and says it's really good. But I don't know much about it, what does it do?"

I got him to back off by telling him Sharepoint Development is an entire tech industry and he would have to hire somebody to do it, because gently caress all that noise if they're going to drop sharepoint on me and expect whimsical wondrous things to automagically appear for them.

I got to sit in on my very first bi-weekly status meeting where we discussed priorities and various design decisions, one of which was using mediawiki and tikiwiki in order to fulfill the request by customers to "have something like SharePoint that isn't SharePoint." If the customers weren't so damned earnest about it I'd think they were trying to pull one over on us. Anyways I volunteered to look at various configurations we could use with tikiwiki to try and meet the requirements while still following DoD guidelines and requirements after my co-worker shot me a look of utter terror and despair. The dude's been busting his hump solo trying to build an entire network and infrastructure to meet contract requirements and I've just been twiddling my thumbs while I wait for access. Didn't take me long to do, but now I have to really dig into Multitiki and TRIM to determine which design strategy best meets our needs and allows us to seamlessly expand as demand increases and additional domains are added without increasing the time required to maintain it, while still following DoD guidelines.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

meanieface posted:

My boss brought a can of bug spray to work and keeps spraying it. My head is pounding and it stinks. Ask me about working in an open office environment! :confuoot:

Email HR and ask for the MSDS for the toxic chemicals being sprayed around the office. Alternately, email HR and tell them it's made you sick and you need to go see a doctor and no, you won't be using PTO for it. Also tell your doctor it's workplace related.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

devmd01 posted:

Project Fi made me cancel my Google Voice number :sigh:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Zamujasa posted:

Same here, pissed me off.

How can you not support your own product?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PBS posted:

Same here, pissed me off.

How can you not support your own product?
How have you never heard of Google before?

e: http://didgoogleshutdown.com/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zamujasa posted:

This is about 80% of the reason I haven't gone to Fi yet. I have a really good real number (last four are all repeating digits) but everyone knows my GV number (and it includes my callsign). I can't give up my GV number and I don't want to give up my real number.

I do have a slight advantage over others in this situation though, I work for a VoIP provider, so once we get our text messaging backend running I can just port one of my numbers in and call it a day.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

How have you never heard of Google before?

e: http://didgoogleshutdown.com/

good rear end site. needs to all current and future apps on there with default of "sketchy".

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

Rapid fire. There is also furious head-nodding to go along with the blank lizard-like stare when he has no loving idea what someone's talking about. Make sure to bray like a goddamn donkey at comments that aren't even meant to be funny, pound on the desk and wheeze out your forced laughter. That's what works for him. Bow, scrape, laugh repeat.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A vendor has delivered a newly developed system to us, written in ASP Classic. It's shock full of showstopper bugs, and can't possibly have been through even the most basic of testing.
Of course it's not at all a surprise, the same vendor has disappointed every time and we've had to fix it with in-house development almost every time.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

"We're thinking that we will need everything in * construction site * online by next week"

Cool deal, I'll plan that jeans and tshirt day, ill just put on my nice shirt and slacks and . ..

" hey we need those things by this afternoon for inspection , and they are still welding there so you need this gear and ... "

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We are coming up to the end of the second week of our support guys not reading bounce notifications or checking MX records when working a ticket raised for inbound email failing. If you are thinking 'how the gently caress has a ticket stayed open for that long without triggering any sort of alerts to people who oversee that team' then you are on the right path as to how this particular ball has been dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My one day at the office, and AC is bad.