Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Whoa, gnarly smoke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

TwystNeko posted:

In the design, I had originally planned to pass power and data to the ears via sockets with neodymium disc magnets in them. As ND magnets are conductive, it would have been an elegant solution to connecting things. Except ND magnets are so strong, they'll pull themselves out of any mount I can design.

Would it be possible to get a conductive paint or tape and coat some regular magnets?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

blastron posted:

How the gently caress do I make any of this? I can cut out a chunk of green fabric, but how do I get that ridged-yet-flexible pseudo-embroidery along the edges and around the gem? For that matter, how do I securely attach that gem to the fabric, and what clear-ish material can I make it out of so that it's not going to massively suck to have it pounding against my crotch as I walk around the con all day? Also, what's the best way to actually attach it to my waist?

Late to the party, but when I was in college the theater costume shop achieved this effect by drawing a pattern with hot melt glue, painting the melt glue gold, and then carefully trimming around the edge of the fabric. This simultaneously seals the fabric and creates a very convincing raised-gilded effect. As always, test on a scrap of fabric first.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There's a kind of black ribbing down the outside of the arm of this dude:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...=20160128015247

Can anyone suggest an appropriate material to use for this? I could probably make it myself with a sewing machine and interfacing but I doubt I would be able to keep the lines regular and parallel enough for it to be GOOD...

THanks.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

thespaceinvader posted:

There's a kind of black ribbing down the outside of the arm of this dude:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...=20160128015247

Can anyone suggest an appropriate material to use for this? I could probably make it myself with a sewing machine and interfacing but I doubt I would be able to keep the lines regular and parallel enough for it to be GOOD...

THanks.

While you could use a rib knit, it wouldn't be as dimensional as if you quilted it yourself. My secret to even lines (like on my Mista top) is masking tape. Just buy it in whatever width you want to make your ribs, use a ruler to space it out, and sew right along the edge of the tape.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That's a good thought. Thanks. Will give it a try.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
MAGFest is coming up in a few months, and I would very much like to cosplay as Master Tonberry. For those that are not familiar with this character, he looks like this:

Now, I've never done any sort of cosplay before (aside from buying stuff at a renfaire and wearing it), so I'm sort of at a loss of where to start. I do have someone that is very willing to help me with the sewing and any fabric parts, and I figure the boots/cloak/knife/lantern parts shouldn't be TOO hard (I can probably just buy that stuff). The hands can just be green mittens (I can even get them custom-made if necessary to match the head/tail).

However, the whole 'big green head with yellow eyes and a big fishtail' part is really tripping me up. The best idea I've come up with is using paper mache to make them, then sanding them down and stretch cloth over them. However, I don't exactly have experience with that either, or how I'd start working on it to get the shapes made right, etc.

All told I'd be willing to spend $2-300 putting it together, or more if I had to but was pretty sure it would come out amazing.

Help!

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Feral_Shofixti posted:

However, the whole 'big green head with yellow eyes and a big fishtail' part is really tripping me up. The best idea I've come up with is using paper mache to make them, then sanding them down and stretch cloth over them. However, I don't exactly have experience with that either, or how I'd start working on it to get the shapes made right, etc.

All told I'd be willing to spend $2-300 putting it together, or more if I had to but was pretty sure it would come out amazing.

Help!

Hey, I'm doing a similar thing right now, trying to make a mascot suit out of 2 cm thick upholstery foam and it's pretty great for stuff like this.
I wouldn't know how much you would need, but Evil Ted to the rescue, as always when it comes to foam. Try to find a nice papercraft model to make your small scale version of the head and tail if you're not that good with drawing and carving styrofoam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkxt5FVpwg

After you have your pattern pieces you can use them both for making the foam parts and the fabric pieces. Either something soft or stretchy (or both), like fleece or spandex.

Another tutorial/build guide with a different patterning technique, because these guys inspired me to try something this big. (click the "keep reading")

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Holy crap, this is amazing!

Elkyrie posted:

Hey, I'm doing a similar thing right now, trying to make a mascot suit out of 2 cm thick upholstery foam and it's pretty great for stuff like this.
I wouldn't know how much you would need, but Evil Ted to the rescue, as always when it comes to foam. Try to find a nice papercraft model to make your small scale version of the head and tail if you're not that good with drawing and carving styrofoam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkxt5FVpwg

After you have your pattern pieces you can use them both for making the foam parts and the fabric pieces. Either something soft or stretchy (or both), like fleece or spandex.

Another tutorial/build guide with a different patterning technique, because these guys inspired me to try something this big. (click the "keep reading")

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
It's done!!

I belt sanded off an entire fingerprint working on this drat sword but I guess it was worth it, I love it so much. Probably my favorite paint job of all time.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Man, every once in a while I see someone who's made something along these lines, and it really makes me want to attempt a Handyman costume...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly2VkN6U4k4

Completely rad.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So what do you guys recommend for someone that wants to start doing cosplay stuff? I'm eyeing Kamui Cosplay's series of books. It says that it covers the basics, but I'm not sure if it is targeted at absolute beginners with doing stuff in general.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It's a pretty open question. It's kind of like asking "How do I start cooking food?"

What do you want to do? Is there a character you have in mind? Do you care about accuracy/authenticity or do you want to have more fun with it? Do you have skills with sewing? Are you good with your hands?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I still don't have something very specific set in stone, but I was thinking in doing one of the characters in Overwatch, (either Soldier:76 or Junkrat, more specifically) which is my current obsession. I don't sew and I'm not especially good with my hands, but one aspect that I'm really forward to doing is making the guns that the characters use.

I mentioned Kamui Cosplay mostly because they recently made a D.Va gun prop-making mini-series and it the final product looked amazing and not too complicated.

They also have a book series that they sell on their store, and since the books also apparently focus on prop-making, I was thinking on picking those up. But as I said, I'm not sure how much detail for beginners they go into.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
What I would do/did myself: follow cosplayers, read their builds, watch their videos like Kamui's D.Va one. Buy a dremel. Then straight up start trying to make something. There are tons of resources, material comparisons, etc. out there but I have found nothing as useful as just trying to make poo poo myself with only a tiny idea of how I'll do it.

At this point I consider myself reasonably experienced as a maker and this is still the model I follow :shobon: I screw up all the time (see: my skinless finger) but I think loving up on my own terms has really taught me a lot about not loving up, too. Deep thoughts from McP.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, I guess just doing it is the best way to, well, do stuff. I just have this massive hangup about doing everything right in the first time so I don't waste material, but this just means I read a lot and end up not doing anything.

Thanks guys. :)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I feel you on that sooo much. But especially if you're interested in foam builds it's a cheap mistake if it doesn't work. And if it's a thermoplastic most of those are recyclable in scrap form
And less malleable plastics I use for paint tests, hidden supports, etc. So your educational pieces really don't have to be wasteful either!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh man, someone new who is mostly excited about making props?! Let me tell you about the gospel of silicone molds and urethane resins...

Incidentally, I'm about to mix and pour, like, five hundred dollars worth of silicone to make molds baaaaaarely in time for PAX. I somehow managed to turn a four-month lead into last-minute crunch. Here's hoping nothing fucks up curing!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

HardDisk posted:

Yeah, I guess just doing it is the best way to, well, do stuff. I just have this massive hangup about doing everything right in the first time so I don't waste material, but this just means I read a lot and end up not doing anything.

The thing to remember is that you don't need to do it well the first time, because that's how you learn.

Plus, with most props, if you gently caress up something then you can just go "drat GUESS IT'S BATTLE DAMAGED, TIME TO GET MY WEATHERING ON".

I own a lot of "battle damaged" pieces :haw:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

HardDisk posted:

I'd argue that it's not wasted materials as long as you learned something in the process of loving it up. Buying materials expressly for practice can help with that - either buying materials for a practice project, or just buying double materials so you can do a full practice run through before the real deal.

I recommend looking up resources for dealing with perfectionism in teens and adults. If you're used to being a perfectionist, it's easy to figure out how to overcome that emotional hurdle. But, if you're a lazy piece of poo poo like me, it can be a real surprise dealing with feelings of terror and self-loathing over something dumb like a scarf. As hokey as a lot of those resources are, it helps to see how some other people have worked their way through the fear of failure and the stall of perfection.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

HardDisk posted:

So what do you guys recommend for someone that wants to start doing cosplay stuff? I'm eyeing Kamui Cosplay's series of books. It says that it covers the basics, but I'm not sure if it is targeted at absolute beginners with doing stuff in general.

I'm still kind of a beginner (still haven't used Worbla or cast anything yet, although I'd like to), but I am building confidence by discovering how much I can do with paper mache, cardboard, tape, and craft foam. This year I'm finally going to experiment with Worbla and integrate lights.

Paper mache

Wire skeleton, cardboard shape, and lots of blue and yellow electrical tape

Craft foam and felt (best part: the mask attaches to a hood with magnets for easy on and off)

This is almost exclusively cardboard and items from the dollar store and I felt like I won Halloween that year.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Man, everything there looks loving amazing and I'd put it all way past beginner level prop-maker...

... But is it just me or is anime getting weird? :stare:

Also thanks guys for the encouragement. :3:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 26, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

HardDisk posted:

Man, everything there looks loving amazing and I'd put it all way past beginner level prop-maker...

If you think that's weird, you haven't seen anime before.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

HardDisk posted:

For me it was watching a shitton of youtube about cosplay creation wot did it.

I started out with William Jakespeare who is accessible and builds at a level attainable by someone with a moderate amount of creativity and a hot glue gun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?jacobk42?videos

Then moved on to Punished Props https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC27YZdcPTZM24PgjztxanEQ and Evil Ted Smith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?evilted40?videos who bridge the gap into professional techniques with eloquence.

Awe Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCNKcMBYP_-18FLgk4BYGtfw and Cinefix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCVtL1edhT8qqY-j2JIndMzg also have accessible-ish home-level cosplay series.

But mostly yeah, watch some videos, read some tutorials, buy some floor mats and a hot glue gun, make something. It won't be amazing the first time, but that's what practice is for.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

For me it was watching a shitton of youtube about cosplay creation wot did it.
But mostly yeah, watch some videos, read some tutorials, buy some floor mats and a hot glue gun, make something. It won't be amazing the first time, but that's what practice is for.

These are all great, thanks. :) No love for Tested?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

HardDisk posted:

These are all great, thanks. :) No love for Tested?

I do like Tested, but they've got a lot lower concentration of specifically cosplay stuff (that being the topic of discussion, a lot of my youtube feed is woodworking), and tend IME to be a little less accessible and well-described. I like watching good videos of good craftspeople making cool stuff (if you do, check out Torbjorn Ahmann), but I don't generally watch Tested for instruction. I also don't subscribe to them because of all the podcasts I don't listen to gunging up my feed.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Anime is crazy weird, but this is the Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku (we lived in Tokyo at the time and as soon as it opened I started planning to do that costume) [sentence edited for clarity of meaning]

Beatdown Boogie did the best to capture the essence of that madness that I've seen so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFaNX4WkZ0

Mecha Neko fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 27, 2016

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
The RPF is the big one for me. Just yesterday after I posted about learning new poo poo, someone posted a Mando helmet they'd done heat burns on with sharpies and I ended up last minute adding it to the shishkebab. So useful because it's so varied in projects.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Instructables is a good jumping off point too for a bunch of things. It is less serious in general but I like the clear pictures people try to provide.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

McPantserton posted:

The RPF is the big one for me. Just yesterday after I posted about learning new poo poo, someone posted a Mando helmet they'd done heat burns on with sharpies and I ended up last minute adding it to the shishkebab. So useful because it's so varied in projects.

Yeah I need to join the RPF. I'm building a mando pilot suit (strictly, Fenn Rau from rebels) right now and whilst I like the challenge of making the helmet from scratch, I can probably save myself a bunch of headaches...

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I posted awhile ago about being interested in making my own ear prosthetics. Since Dragoncon is this weekend, I didn't really have time to do the PROFESSIONAL TECHNIQUE. Especially because I've never done mold/cast-making before, and I didn't wanna spend a bunch of time learning something only to have it not turn out and then not have something to use.

So I decided to try a quick and minimal attempt for making my own ears: http://imgur.com/a/722qL

Probably my biggest resource: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmjsKUfC_rE This guy's stuff is super professional and informative.

I bought a pre-made life casting kit on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-On-Inc-ASSK-Casting-Starter/dp/B000QCM27Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472490540&sr=8-1&keywords=life-casting
This specific one had enough materials in it to do both my ears. (It actually has plenty left over to do a second ear attempt if you mess up the first).

I'm glad I at least did this because I got experience molding, casting, and sculpting. I'll be able to take that experience over into my next attempt when I actually want to try making prosthetics using silicone :D

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Putting together each circuit for my supposed-to-be-glowing warglaives was taking 4+ hours each, so I'm having to drop that entirely and have them not light up since I don't have time for PAX.

...which means that I'm going to have something cool to do for Version 2, at the cost of having to re-cast everything which is going to be even more expensive. At least I don't have to make new molds, which is the really expensive part.

On a happier note, this is the first time I've made a 2+ part mold successfully on the first try. I'm actually pretty proud of this! Most of the time I have to take a big knife to a solid hunk of silicone before I get something barely usable.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Seizures Palace

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mad Dragon posted:

Seizures Palace

:golfclap:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What do you guys know about articulated wings? I'm making some for a laugh, and because I haven't made them before. I'm using this video as my primary tutorial, and making the "bones" of the wings out of cheap, disposable wood slats that look like they're for repairing trellises. I'll replace or reinforce them later. Right now, I'm trying to decide the best way to control the wings. The costume I want to use them on will have my hands and arms confined, so pulling a cord or having the frame of the wing attached to my upper arm is out. I'm hesitant about using pneumatics both because of their cost and because of the noise produced when you release the pressure in the cylinder and let the wings down. If I could find a way to muffle the loud "PSSSSHHHH" when the pressure comes off, I might suck it up and spring for that. Until then, I'm wondering how else I can get the wings to move. Maybe some sort of tension spring system?

EDIT: Actually, I probably should start thinking about reinforcement. These slat things will likely break the first time I try to gently flap them. What would you guys recommend? Expense is the biggest factor here. I could possibly just buy another bundle of slats and double them up. Or should I try for, say, some old broom handles or something?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 31, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Look for Crooked Feather (maybe has a "the" in front) on Facebook and I think youtube. I'd provide links but I'm in a rush. They have a lot of videos that, if they're not flat-out tutorials, will give you a good look at their wings (i believe she does that for a living)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah I need to join the RPF. I'm building a mando pilot suit (strictly, Fenn Rau from rebels) right now and whilst I like the challenge of making the helmet from scratch, I can probably save myself a bunch of headaches...

For Mando stuff, also check out The Dented Helmet if you haven't already. The site has been around almost as long as the RPF and has an overwhelming amount of templates and tutorials available. It's been quite a few years now, but at one point I made what eventually turned out to be a pretty nice helmet out of chipboard using templates I found there. (fake edit) - Yikes! searching my old post history there, it's been like 8 years since I made that thing (where does the time go?) so there are probably a hundred new and better things available now.

It was ultimately ruined by a bad batch of fiberglass resin, unfortunately, but it was a fairly easy build overall. I keep telling myself I'm going to revisit that whole project someday....

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm doing mine out of foam based on a cheapie skate helmet to save me having to make a dome. So it won't take me too long. I've already done the armour chest plate and vambraces, I'm working on the gorget at the moment, assuming I don't need to go back to square 1 when my patterning is off. Which is might well be.

Working in half-inch foam though, so the faceplate might be interesting.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sounds like it's a fun (if somewhat challenging) build! I can definitely see some issues trying to get the front of the helmet to hold its shape, at least until you get the actual visor in place to provide some rigidity. I haven't done a *lot* of foam work before, but one technique I have used to sort of temporarily pin stuff in place is to cut/bend a paper clip into a sort of...foam staple? I'm not really sure how else to describe it... just a " [ " shape, cut to the appropriate dimensions and poked into the foam. You might be able to do that or something similar to hold the face together while you get the visor affixed.

I'm quite lapsed in the whole costume-making thing, though. Some of the other folks here who have actually built stuff recently will probably have a much better idea. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My TIE pilot helmet build down the same way worked out OK, so I'm reasonably (or possibly unreasonably) confident. B ut I have plenty of extra foam and am fully expecting to need to redo the whole thing at least once.

And I took a template of the helmet, so if the worst comes to the worst I should be able to replicate it lol