Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Epic High Five posted:

Lmao if you believe there will ever be room for Einsenhower-style Conservatism in the Republican party again.

Was Eisenhower even conservative? Didn't he build the highway system and forcibly integrate the army and little rock high school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

It's really ridiculous to talk about homogeny in Europe, especially since you have basic problems such as France and Germany being born out of multiple separate countries with their own culture, language, and national identity. It's why German antisemitism never made any loving sense.

The French explicitly made it a policy to squash out cultural diversity in favor of One French Culture.

neoliberal posted:

Was Eisenhower even conservative? Didn't he build the highway system and forcibly integrate the army and little rock high school?

He quite literally picked the party at random. He's the 50s equivalent of Nader voters.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

davecrazy posted:

Since everything terrible on the internet came from the loins of SA, somebody make a direct link between the alt-right movement and Helldump and LF.

Off the top of my head, Something Awful -> Something Sensitive -> alt-right zeitgeist

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

It's really ridiculous to talk about homogeny in Europe, especially since you have basic problems such as France and Germany being born out of multiple separate countries with their own culture, language, and national identity. It's why German antisemitism never made any loving sense.

This is like listening to Japanese talk about foreign countries JFC.
You're apparently deeply uncomfortable with how xenophobic Europeans are. Look at how the refugee crisis caused countries that are nominally way to the left of the US to turn hard into open racism.

And yes, all that inter-country diversity was stomped out wherever possible.
Look how France went from dozens of languages to one, with a couple of remnants spoken by a small, shrinking population.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

It's really ridiculous to talk about homogeny in Europe, especially since you have basic problems such as France and Germany being born out of multiple separate countries with their own culture, language, and national identity.
Yeah, we have all those cultures too, guy. You think we spent 200 years importing all our white people directly from South Gloucestersheepshire, England? We had the whole pastel rainbow of Europe to draw from for immigrants. We just don't rarely give a gently caress about the rich cultural differences between Finnish and Swedish ancestral heritages on account of having large numbers of actual non-white people to talk to as well.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 26, 2016

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

David Duke: I don't know anything about him
White Supremacists: I don't know about white supremacists
Alt-right: nobody knows what it is
Steve Bannon: I don't know what he said

Trump sure doesn't know poo poo about poo poo huh

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

neoliberal posted:

Eisenhower was conservative in the proper sense of being in favor of the status quo. He supported the highway system because of military justifications. He was offered the presidency by both parties but chose the Republicans because he perceived them to be more anti-communist. He was definitely racist, but supported desegregation in large part I think simply because the Supreme Court said so and he was gonna enforce the law.

I like Ike. He was far from perfect, but he's one of the better Presidents in practice. Not that that's a high bar.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you look for it, you can find as much weird variety in regional differences here in the US. More, even, but it's a fuckoff huge country that you can't catch all of on a fun weekend trip with a lot of stopoffs in little villages. When you're watching TV or whatever, be conscious about how much you can tell about a person just from how they speak, and how often it comes up. Especially do this is stuff like the local news.

We've got it all baby, from Apache to Yooper. We're a hosed up country.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The main links between SA and the alt-right are through sites made for assholes we kicked off the forums for being dumbasses(something sensitive)/gross pedophiles(4chan).

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

sarmhan posted:

You're apparently deeply uncomfortable with how xenophobic Europeans are. Look at how the refugee crisis caused countries that are nominally way to the left of the US to turn hard into open racism.

What refugees have we accepted into the US? Come back when the US starts taking in refugees at the level the Europeans have and then we can a proper talk about taking down to other countries about how accepting we are of them.

Oh wait, you're too loving racist to do even just that. Canada has taken more than the US has. We should be ashamed of ourselves for it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

sarmhan posted:

You could call him a narcissist.

I don't have a thesaurus, do you have a copy my good man?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

What refugees have we accepted into the US? Come back when the US starts taking in refugees at the level the Europeans have and then we can a proper talk about taking down to other countries about how accepting we are of them.

We've been taking in refugees since the 80s.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

neoliberal posted:

I don't see that article covering England. I feel that Denmark/Sweden/Norway/Finland all really offset how bad things are in England/Spain/Italy.

Also the cited report only goes up until 93. So it misses out on the wealth generated during the Clinton Boom and Bushes somewhat healthy economy; and the recent rises. From what I understand the Middle Class is getting demolished - but a lot of those people are moving into the upper class. I heard something like out of every 3 people moving from the middle class to another class 2 are going into the upper classes and 1 into the lower classes. And of course the middle classes and lower classes are getting as poor as ever but that's a interesting statistic to say the least.

There's a lot of data out there on the internet about social mobility. Almost all of it shows that America compares poorly with most countries in Europe, although the United Kingdom is often rated equally as bad or worse than the US. I'd be interested in a source for your statistic about people moving from the middle class because AFAIK the upper classes in the last decade have seen the greatest increase in income compared with all other classes.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Oh wait, you're too loving racist to do even just that. Canada has taken more than the US has. We should be ashamed of ourselves for it.

DUDE. OUR COUNTRY IS LITERALLY MADE UP OF YOUR NATIONS REFUGEES.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What about all the good we did after the UK monocultured the Irish into a de facto genocide huh

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Historically the US has been far more open to refugees than Europe ever has. Yes we are literally a nation of economic, religious, and political refugees.
My own town has a large population of Lebanese Christian refugees who started emigrating in the late 19th century and never stopped emigrating, and are now a completely integrated, celebrated part of the local community.

You're clearly living in a bizarre bubble.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
We have over 10 million refugee latin americans in the United States and guy is going on about us not accepting refugees. Jesus christ.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also to be fair, Europe literally borders the Middle East while the US is across an entire ocean. No poo poo the US isn't going to take as many.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

I don't have a thesaurus, do you have a copy my good man?

No, but I do have a

reference book
glossary
lexicon
onomasticon
terminology
vocabulary
language reference book
sourcebook
storehouse of words
treasury of words

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

neoliberal posted:

We have over 10 million refugee latin americans in the United States and guy is going on about us not accepting refugees. Jesus christ.

How many latin American refugees has Europe taken in? Man shameful

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sarmhan posted:

And yes, all that inter-country diversity was stomped out wherever possible.
Look how France went from dozens of languages to one, with a couple of remnants spoken by a small, shrinking population.

France has become really super-obsessed with stamping out any "foreign" culture and it's weird and baffling. I mean I know it's just Stage 1 of the bigotry express but still, they're somehow obsessive about it even for bigots.

And yeah not that the US is any better, but the Brexit really shone a spotlight on Europe's turbo-racism and they can't really put that blackface genie back in it's bottle.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea I am not trying to apologize for the massive systemic and personal racism that still exists in the US.
But at least there's a public discussion in the US, where the current and likely future president stand in direct opposition to said racism.
In England you get poo poo like Brexit.

Hell just look at the loving demographics.
One of the big reasons Brexit happened was that only 10% of the voters in the UK are minorities.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

We should probably just stop talking about the alt-right until we can figure out what is going on.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
So having watched Clinton's speech today.. drat, that was good. Probably her best delivery of the election. I hope she continues to talk in this way. It's superficial and dumb, but I was always worried during previous speeches and debates that she gave that her cadence was turning people off because she sounded like she was talking down to you. Just the way she was saying things, not the content.

I just wish we could focus on issues...

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

axe_vendetta posted:

There's a lot of data out there on the internet about social mobility. Almost all of it shows that America compares poorly with most countries in Europe, although the United Kingdom is often rated equally as bad or worse than the US. I'd be interested in a source for your statistic about people moving from the middle class because AFAIK the upper classes in the last decade have seen the greatest increase in income compared with all other classes.

According to this report from a supposedly liberal think tank.

quote:

The most spectacular change involved the explosion of the upper middle class (incomes from $100,000 to $349,999). It grew from 12.9 percent of Americans in 1979 to 29.4 percent in 2014 — from 1 in 8 U.S. households to more than 1 in 4. The rich ($350,000 in income or more) went from 0.1 percent of households to 1.8 percent in 2014. If these two groups are combined, nearly one-third of Americans have incomes exceeding $100,000. (Note: All these thresholds apply to three-person households; income levels are adjusted for differences in household size.)

Meanwhile, the poorer segments of the population declined. The poor and near-poor (less than $29,999 of income) dropped from 24.3 percent of the population in 1979 to 19.8 percent in 2014. The lower middle class ($30,000 to $49,999) fell from 23.9 percent to 17.1 percent, and the middle class ($50,000 to $99,999) decreased from 38.8 percent to 32 percent.

All in all, it’s an important story. “The growth in the rich and upper middle class and the declining proportion of the population in the middle and lower classes indicate widespread economic growth between 1979 and 2014,” writes Rose.

The poor are still poorer then ever before but there are way less of them than before.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Re: right wing parties in places such as Germany. Not only would Trump never be elected there, he wouldn't even be aired on national television because of their hate speech laws.

sarmhan posted:

Historically the US has been far more open to refugees than Europe ever has. Yes we are literally a nation of economic, religious, and political refugees.
My own town has a large population of Lebanese Christian refugees who started emigrating in the late 19th century and never stopped emigrating, and are now a completely integrated, celebrated part of the local community.

You're clearly living in a bizarre bubble.

I thought we were still talking Syrian refugees but okay. As for immigration here in the US, race has always been a problem- which is why we had things such as the Chinese Exclusion Act and literal race riots in Manhattan around the time of the Civil War.

As for Muslims specifically, there's just as much if not more Muslim hate here in the US because every time a mass shooting happens D&D starts a circle prayer group hoping it isn't a Muslim.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yinlock posted:

And yeah not that the US is any better, but the Brexit really shone a spotlight on Europe's turbo-racism and they can't really put that blackface genie back in it's bottle.
Speaking of which: I wonder how Zvarte Piet going to go over in the current political climate this season?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 26, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ron Jeremy posted:

No, but I do have a

reference book
glossary
lexicon
onomasticon
terminology
vocabulary
language reference book
sourcebook
storehouse of words
treasury of words

awesome

what's the japanese term for narcissist

asking for a japanese friend who is asking about what the gently caress is going on with donald trump and the elections

thanks in advance

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Thaddius the Large posted:

Off the top of my head, Something Awful -> Something Sensitive -> alt-right zeitgeist

How did they become a part of the alt-right specifically? How do you go from being mad at being banned from SA, to supporting racist and sexist policy?

Helldump could be considered a precursor to modern day doxxing, but I don't think anyone involved in helldump moved on to doxxing elsewhere. It was more a blueprint or how-to for the rest of the internet.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

As for Muslims specifically, there's just as much if not more Muslim hate here in the US because every time a mass shooting happens D&D starts a circle prayer group hoping it isn't a Muslim.

Lol no there isn't you don't know just how bad racism is against muslims in most of Europe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

How did they become a part of the alt-right specifically? How do you go from being mad at being banned from SA, to supporting racist and sexist policy?

Helldump could be considered a precursor to modern day doxxing, but I don't think anyone involved in helldump moved on to doxxing elsewhere. It was more a blueprint or how-to for the rest of the internet.

I mean they were banned for being the shittiest people on the forums.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

neoliberal posted:

Lol no there isn't you don't know just how bad racism is against muslims in most of Europe.
Seriously. it might be hard to believe but Muslims face significantly less day-to-day discrimination here than they do in Europe. And I live in southern VA.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
How are you so stupid

ONLY SYRIAN REFUGEES COUNT, THE USA'S INCREDIBLY LONG HISTORY OF TAKING REFUGEES DOESNT COUNT ONLY THIS ONE RECENT EXAMPLE

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

How are you so stupid

ONLY SYRIAN REFUGEES COUNT, THE USA'S INCREDIBLY LONG HISTORY OF TAKING REFUGEES DOESNT COUNT ONLY THIS ONE RECENT EXAMPLE

We were talking about modern right wing parties in Europe so..

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

berserker posted:

David Duke: I don't know anything about him
White Supremacists: I don't know about white supremacists
Alt-right: nobody knows what it is
Steve Bannon: I don't know what he said

Trump sure doesn't know poo poo about poo poo huh

He's the modern Know Nothing candidate.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
The guy forgets that last time the Syrian Refugees became a big issues there were mayors of several cities signing up and say send em here and most american people want them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

We were talking about modern right wing parties in Europe so..

UKIP was founded in '91.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

neoliberal posted:

The guy forgets that last time the Syrian Refugees became a big issues there were mayors of several cities signing up and say send em here and most american people want them.
Hell when our idiot mayor said stupid poo poo about them and Japanese internment camps literally the rest of the city council came out and denounced him, and invited George Takei to visit and apologize about the comments.
And no city has tried to ban loving "muslim swimwear" from beaches.
Meanwhile the police in one of the larger French cities are harassing people over it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Since everything terrible on the internet came from the loins of SA, somebody make a direct link between the alt-right movement and Helldump and LF.

can't be done, unfortunately. i can get you an indirect one, however.

so, LF and /pol/, one of the bigger origin points of the alt-right, were created for the same reason: everyone was sick and tired of having to put up with the constant low-effort political trolling from libertarians. moderators looking to get rid of these insufferable fuckers created "containment boards" where these discussions could be shunted off to in order to stop bugging everyone else.

except whoops: it turns out that when you concentrate a bunch of loud ideology-havers in a single space with little to no moderation, they do not quietly die. the brownian motion of a bunch of ideologues yelling at each other without any oversight yields not death but mutation into newer and more virulent ideological strains. LF, due to its roots in left-wingers being allowed to finally call libertarians the gigantic pissbabies they are, rapidly went past Full Communism Now and was getting comfortable with Maoism-Third-Worldism. /pol/, due to coming about in 2011, when libertarians had for reasons totally unrelated to Barack Obama discovered racism was cool now, started with a firm founding of Hell Yes Racial Science and has since become the origins of the Anime Nazi aesthetic the alt-right is so fond of.

interestingly both became ridiculously obsessed with anime aesthetics.

so they both have the same origin: people figuring that if you stuck a bunch of nerds in the back of the fridge they would stop being a problem instead of fermenting and exploding messily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

UKIP was founded in '91.

And the BNP was even older than that- doesn't mean they have any meaningful discourse until the Tories came along in the middle of a refugee crisis and decided to entertain their racist sensibilities.

I don't think too many other European countries think highly of the British on immigration and race- especially since they're trying hard to short themselves out on the refugee crisis.

• Locked thread