Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Hats off to the person who did all the death sounds introduced in RD. When I heard someone die of plague I had to stop, pause the game, and say, "Jesus Christ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honky Dong Country posted:

"Yeah we totally knew people had cancer in their butts."
-Ancient Physicians

Yeah and you should see the tool they used to deal with it.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: I Beat rear end Cancer, And You Should See The Tool They Used To Deal With It

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Steam is being a dick, just saying "update queued" without actually installing the new DLC.

e: there she goes

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 26, 2016

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
My character's wife just died from explosive vomiting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Was just about to ask for the latest version of After the End but I forgot there's a new expansion so I assume it's not compatible. Oh well. Is the new DLC worth the full :10bux:?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Welp, just bought a $15 dollar expansion for a 4 year old game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

vyelkin posted:

Was just about to ask for the latest version of After the End but I forgot there's a new expansion so I assume it's not compatible. Oh well. Is the new DLC worth the full :10bux:?

So far I like it. There's an event chain that's rare that's supposed to let your char become all immortal. Tryina figure out how to do it correctly, I went whole gung-ho in it and just ended up apparently drinking poison and dying.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey thread what's a good Norse character in the Old Gods or Viking Era starts?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Meat Dimension posted:

Hey thread what's a good Norse character in the Old Gods or Viking Era starts?

Sigurdr Ring imo

Your son be comes easily the most powerful Norse Character of your game when you die and play as him you can literally decided any goal and do it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BenRGamer posted:

So far I like it. There's an event chain that's rare that's supposed to let your char become all immortal. Tryina figure out how to do it correctly, I went whole gung-ho in it and just ended up apparently drinking poison and dying.

Being a story told as a warning to others is a FORM of immortality...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Being a story told as a warning to others is a FORM of immortality...

I believe the traditional 'elixir of immortality' had cinnabar and/or quicksilver in it.

You know, mercury.

That might only have been in China though now that I think about it.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

verbal enema posted:

Sigurdr Ring imo

Your son be comes easily the most powerful Norse Character of your game when you die and play as him you can literally decided any goal and do it.

Sick. Thanks!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Prism posted:

I believe the traditional 'elixir of immortality' had cinnabar and/or quicksilver in it.

You know, mercury.

That might only have been in China though now that I think about it.

Funny thing. One of the successful 'risky' treatments is you drinking a 'liquid metal' feeling better, and wondering what was so risky about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BenRGamer posted:

Funny thing. One of the successful 'risky' treatments is you drinking a 'liquid metal' feeling better, and wondering what was so risky about it.

Mercury was still used in medicines as late as the 1800's so yeah they were in love with the stuff. Shiny = magical I think was the general thought process.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Mercury was still used in medicines as late as the 1800's so yeah they were in love with the stuff. Shiny = magical I think was the general thought process.

More recently than that in dental amalgams.

It's a liquid metal that bonds with gold and silver but not with common iron. Alchemists saw it had unique properties and was very long-lasting (if you didn't make an amalgam out of it) so they tried stuff with it; later medicine used it for those amalgams, antiseptics, and a syphilis treatment. So yeah, they loved it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Liquid mercury was actually used as a laxative - it goes straight through you, and it's quite heavy. You can also collect and re-use it afterwards.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else just loving CONSTANTLY having their chaplain become a heretic? I am having that happen through several court chaplains. ANd my religion has high moral authority.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you tell him to research cultural tech he'll constantly be converting.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I love the AI sometimes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

If you tell him to research cultural tech he'll constantly be converting.

Yeah I don't think MA even factors in to the odds for that. It's based on their learning skill (higher learning = lower odds). It's the same as getting a training accident with your marshal or other "bad" outcomes of councilor activities.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Welp, just finished my first, brief, playthrough with the new DLC. My dynasty lasted 3 rulers. My last guy poo poo himself to death.

Totally worth it.

thinking_now_when
Apr 2, 2010

I just got a notification that Pope Marinus "the Sea-Devil" was elected to the papacy, I checked his character page and he's got a peg leg and a pet parrot. I'm very tempted to stay as a catholic for a while just to have the pirate-pope as my head of religion.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I don't think MA even factors in to the odds for that. It's based on their learning skill (higher learning = lower odds). It's the same as getting a training accident with your marshal or other "bad" outcomes of councilor activities.

That's seriously irritating. It happens so often I just glaze over imprisoning him and converting him over and over

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

thinking_now_when posted:

I just got a notification that Pope Marinus "the Sea-Devil" was elected to the papacy, I checked his character page and he's got a peg leg and a pet parrot. I'm very tempted to stay as a catholic for a while just to have the pirate-pope as my head of religion.

Please tell me he's also capable of going on coastal raids.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

thinking_now_when posted:

Appropriate name too.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I'm hearing good things about Reaper, but is Conclave worth it?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I had a Monster Pope with an iron mask, but I'm sure that's normal. Popes don't last long, or maybe it's just me setting the epidemics to deadly.

I also enjoyed that time a wife had a bastard with some bishop, so I had her imprisoned, and while the entire realm was plotting to kill her she got sick and died before any plot triggered.:argh:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The optimization really came through. :dance:

Yeah, really impressive stuff.

Now, I've been having one odd problem playing as the king of Sweden in the Old Gods start. When I assign a commander to a flank, the flank will be without a commander after a couple days without any apparent reason.

Also, there's some message spam of "Army of <commander> arrived in <province> when I'm sieging down a holding":

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So I caved in and scraped some money together for Reaper's Due. Holy loving poo poo, this DLC.

I decided to start nice and easy with Venice. When Doge Maurizio Galbaio turned sixty he got abdominal pains. My renowned physician, Felice, has 20 learning and prescribed more prayer. It didn't work. Soon the Doge gained a new symptom: throbbing headache. For his new treatment, my physician literally chased down one of the palace housecats, killed it, charred the gently caress out of it, and had the Doge eat it. It didn't work either. After this horrible treatment, the Doge developed a really bad feeling of malaise. Felice had the Doge's entire body covered in leeches, which had moderate success. Despite the recent progress, the Doge's illness progressed to full-blown flu. Felice was called in again, and when he entered the bed-ridden Doge's chamber, he smeared a mixture of cow poo poo and herbs all over his chest, to rousing success. Currently the Doge still has the flu but also the successful treatment modifier, so I'm feeling optimistic. He is old as gently caress though so who knows.

Those treatments though, holy hell. :stare:

E: it's also worth noting that this wasn't from an epidemic, dude just got sick.
E2: Hey hey, he recovered! You heard it here first folks, if you get the flu cover yourself in leeches and cow poo poo with cilantro in it.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 26, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Thanqol posted:

I'm hearing good things about Reaper, but is Conclave worth it?

Conclave has a worse reputation than it deserves because of the patch that came with it, and most of the debatably annoying things about that patch are now optional game rules anyway. I think that the DLC itself is still worth it for making internal realm governance more interesting, but YMMV.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I clicked a wrong thing somewhere and now I don't get the popups for educating my heirs anymore, how do I reset the popups to default?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Haven't booted up CK since... around horse lords. Bought all the missing DLC and the new plague stuff because that sounds awesome.

Can't wait to hide in Saxon lands again and fight off the Danes while being plagued. Also I hear my plebs are even more disagreeable now?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The General posted:

Haven't booted up CK since... around horse lords. Bought all the missing DLC and the new plague stuff because that sounds awesome.

Can't wait to hide in Saxon lands again and fight off the Danes while being plagued. Also I hear my plebs are even more disagreeable now?

you could say that with the plague they're revolting

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Little bugfix for those of you without Conclave, open common/defines.lua, find "CHILDHOOD_FOCUS_ALERT_AGE" and change it from 6 to 5. Should fix the thing were kids don't get a education until 17 until we patch it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Playing as the king of Mercia and it's practically a biyearly occurrence when I behead a doctor for mistreating my sister's cancer.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I have a question. Was in a war for a Welsh county. A lot of stuff happened, and I captured the infant kid of the ruler. A bunch of other stuff happened (sorry for the vagueness) and both my king and the ruler of that Welsh county died at some point, and the war came to a close with the new ruler of that county (that I wanted) being a toddler in my dungeons. I felt like there should hsve been some way to exploit this to take over the county, but seems like all I could do was keep him in the nice cells for 15 years until he had enough money to ransom him to himself, which I did.

Was there some say I could have snagged that county? Holding the baby king had to give me some kind of leverage you'd have thought.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Unrelated to Reaper's Due mostly, but my Byzantine Emperor's wife was obviously cheating on him, and had run off after an imprisonment attempt. I couldn't divorce her, because I celebrated my coming of age by blinding all my rebellious vassals, and my Piety was thus tanking. She wouldn't come back ("wants to be with lover" modifier was at work), but she still gave birth to "my" children. I couldn't discover who their real father was through Events... but the children were still born in my court. And I was already Cruel and Wroth.

To be on the safe side, I imprisoned and blinded each of the three baby daughters she gave me. It did lead to a few revolts, but nothing I couldn't handle. I eventually got that divorce, even if I had to imprison the Patriarch of Constantinople.

I became known as Basileus Damianos "the Great".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 26, 2016

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I have a weird issue, I'm playing as Duke of Sicily from the earliest start date, so I'm a vassal to Byzantium. My first ruler died and everything inherited to my son, my new ruler has a son but the duchy is going to be inherited by the Emperor. I have the right laws for things to pass to my primary heir so I don't understand why this is happening. Any help to stop this happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Honky Dong Country posted:

E2: Hey hey, he recovered! You heard it here first folks, if you get the flu cover yourself in leeches and cow poo poo with cilantro in it.

Ugh, cilantro? I think I'll just stay sick.

• Locked thread