Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

I didn't do it because I literally could not have come up with a more obvious trap if I tried, and yet there were still people in threads here that did it for reasons other than morbid curiosity.

I didn't end up getting it, but I almost did because I thought it might be a double-bluff. "Perhaps the devs want me to think it's a trap when I actually needed it!" But that was giving them too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Still one of my favorite clips on youtube :allears:

RareAcumen posted:

Job Simulator seems to be all about doing dumb poo poo in an imagined idea of what jobs were like back in the 21st(?) century.
Is...is there a limit to how big it can get :stare:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mokinokaro posted:

Wizard is plain broken as it pairs with any other spellcaster set really well. Want summons that deal physical damage so they ignore elemental resistances? Want heals that cast over several turns? Want a healer enemy to blow its turns removing status effects? Wizard can do that.

Shame it can't seem to do anything to the Baal's clogging up the moon. Even the one's 1/5th my level. I've had Santa locked up there for a week and I cannot hurt this guy.

So, I've spent the entire game doing these side quests where you have to help one of two characters, the one you don't help, you fight and get his job.
As far as I knew, the other job you didn't get was lost forever but as it turns out you go back in time - and can redo the side quests.

I spent the whole game doing things that I felt was the right thing to do, and now I'm doing what I feel is the worst possible thing so I can get the other jobs and I actually feel kind of bad about some of these choices (or helping out the rear end in a top hat characters over the more sympathetic guys).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying how refreshingly simple Dragon Quest 9 is. Getting new spells and better stats is very back to basics - just level up and see what you learn. It's interesting trying to get skill points going for specific skills with certain weapons as well. I haven't used it much but I like that whips get status attacks even if I haven't needed them, and if there are multiple enemies of the same type it will hit all of them at once :3:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

It's bizarre how much Shigeru Miyamoto absolutely loathes the idea of lore in games, considering the best memories anyone seems to have with Zelda games is based on the sense of the world rather than any particular element of the gameplay. I hope that they ignore him with Breath of the Wild, because if they end up going with "gameplay like Skyrim with nothing beyond a bare-bones generic story," I'm going to be very disappointed. On the other hand, if they finally fully embrace the concept of lore by littering references to things throughout the game, it could fill this thread for months.

Maybe the distinction is only in my mind, but I think there's a difference between stuff like that and lore. Like the context for the stuff you do is embedded in the task itself, not on a lore page attached to an item, or an in-game book, or something. Zelda has traditionally been really good about that. In the very first game you have dormant robot soldiers guarding certain places, standing in formation like terracotta soldiers in the emperor's tomb, and it's stronger for not being explained. I'm all for having a lot of intriguing stuff and not explaining it beyond what you can discover by exploring and interacting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way are there any recent games with Building To a Spec, or a specific plan being a large component? I really enjoy things like the Base Building via recruitment in Suikoden 4+5, or rebuilding villages in Dark Cloud (Not so much in DC2, it felt like the game was cheating a little with how bland the houses were, like when I traveled into the future I hadn't built that town. The town had been built over the town I actually made.

I actually prefer having prefabbed parts to put together (IE Dark Cloud 1) or visiting a location after a character has joined to see what they put in their space(Suikodens, the towers in the Overlord games). I find it gives the characters more personality as they know what they want. Being too freeform feels kinda off to me, like the characters don't care if their house has a lovely layout because I just threw everything wherever it fit, I like them to be able to tell me when they want a chair by the window or the fire, or whether they want to live near this person or miles away from that one.

Has anything like that come out recently to scratch that itch?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The latest WoW expansion's garrisons, kind of.

And Dragon Age Inquisition.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Inquisition does that very well.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

That is an incredible pun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's kinda impressive watching how accurate the hand-tracking is, going through all those gestures with minimal flailing.

If you go back to when the Vive came out Giant Bomb did a video and the natural way Jeff is able to handle stuff using the touch controllers is really impressive. Doing stuff like tossing things in the air and catching them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

muscles like this? posted:

If you go back to when the Vive came out Giant Bomb did a video and the natural way Jeff is able to handle stuff using the touch controllers is really impressive. Doing stuff like tossing things in the air and catching them.

Here's the Job Simulator bit from that stream, it's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL9vAded5s0&t=4365s

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

I found a big mouth billy bass in DX:MD that plays classic Deus Ex music

Yeah, but can you remotely hack it in order to distract guards? Watchdogs: 1, Deus Ex: 0. :colbert:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The new Deus Ex has a lot of nice little touches and attention to detail.

Beware, I guess, very mild spoilers for the first time you go to your office:

Your headquarters are underground, accessed via secret elevator in a shell import company. You go into the storefront, and in the back is a store room. It's full of random storeroom poo poo, a ladder, boxes, a box cart, random poo poo. A store room. There is also a painting on the wall. Behind the painting is a card reader that activates the elevator - the floor just drops away down into the HQ area.

So after I've ridden this elevator a few times, I'm idly waiting to get back up topside and I'm looking at the ladder, tucked up against the wall. It's not against the wall, obviously, because the wall is actually an elevator shaft, so it can't reliably lean on it. It's free standing. I think to myself "heh, no way would that ladder stay upright if it's constantly going up and down on a secret elevator all day. Neither would that 2 wheeled box cart standing over there, they'd fall over as soon as this thing moved."

Then I notice the bolts. Literally everything in the elevator is bolted to the floor Because of course it is. It's just for show, you'd never need to use any of it, it's a fake store room. Good enough to pass a casual inspection (yep that's a store room alright) but of course you'd need to keep everything upright and not falling over everytime you used it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I fuckin found a copy of Deus Ex Human Revolution in Deus Ex Mankind Divided. This game's easter eggs are weird as hell, I love it.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
Meh. In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, in the subtitles of the opening cutscene, they misspelled "capitol" as "capital."

1/10, wouldn't play again.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I won't be getting the new Deus Ex until I can get a new computer, which could be a long-rear end time, so I gotta ask one question: Is it possible to get scolded for going into a ladies' restroom in the opening?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I won't be getting the new Deus Ex until I can get a new computer, which could be a long-rear end time, so I gotta ask one question: Is it possible to get scolded for going into a ladies' restroom in the opening?

That's a weird fetish, keep that poo poo to yourself.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TontoCorazon posted:

That's a weird fetish, keep that poo poo to yourself.

It's a series trademark.

But the answer is no. And it's odd because there's a part where I expected it to happen and nope.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

I fuckin found a copy of Deus Ex Human Revolution in Deus Ex Mankind Divided. This game's easter eggs are weird as hell, I love it.

Isn't there a Knuckles And Knuckles And Knuckles game floating around inside it as well?

One thing I also noticed about a lot of the computers in-game; if someone is sat down using it and get distracted via the medium of being punched, you can use the terminal without needing to log-in or use a password. Of course they're going to stay logged on if you interrupted them like that!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's a series trademark.

But the answer is no. And it's odd because there's a part where I expected it to happen and nope.

were you in a target?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Started playing Soul Nomad and the World Eater, and I'm liking the difficulty curve. It's designed so you'll always have characters of the appropriate level so you can just go from fight to fight without much trouble, and I like that. It's nice to have a game that's easy to play for a change, especially because apparently this one has a particularly strong story, and I am enjoying Gig a lot as a character.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
One of my favorite little things in DX:MD is that shopkeepers berate you if you leave without buying anything; I talked to a bartender at a beer shop and she asked me if I wanted a drink, but not having the inventory space I declined at which point she said "Well why the hell did you come in here then?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen a few games do that though. The innkeeper in Angel Falls in Dragon Quest 9 for a start.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

plainswalker75 posted:

One of my favorite little things in DX:MD is that shopkeepers berate you if you leave without buying anything; I talked to a bartender at a beer shop and she asked me if I wanted a drink, but not having the inventory space I declined at which point she said "Well why the hell did you come in here then?"

The gun dealers also get mad if you only sell stuff instead of buy.

Joke's on them since the combat rifles I just sold were his I just stole from the back room.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

plainswalker75 posted:

Almost every merchant and NPC in Dark Souls has a dialog if you walk away without closing their menu.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The two Etrian Odyssey Untold games added that as well, and in EOU2 the dialogue actually changes as you progress through the game. The bartender will call you out on leaving with "This ain't a museum, y'know!" at the beginning, but towards the end of the game when you've become regulars and heroes, leaving without doing anything elicits a "But you just got here!" :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

The gun dealers also get mad if you only sell stuff instead of buy.

Joke's on them since the combat rifles I just sold were his I just stole from the back room.

I liked how in Undertale none of the normal shopkeepers would buy your items and would actually outright make fun of you for thinking that they would have any interest in the garbage a complete strangers would have. Especially the guy working for minimum wage manning the counter for a fast food restaurant, who almost has a nervous breakdown over the weird kid who keeps plopping old clothes and popsicles onto the counter instead of placing an order.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Guy Mann posted:

Especially the guy working for minimum wage manning the counter for a fast food restaurant, who almost has a nervous breakdown over the weird kid who keeps plopping old clothes and popsicles onto the counter instead of placing an order.

Burgerpants is a national treasure.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Guy Mann posted:

I liked how in Undertale none of the normal shopkeepers would buy your items and would actually outright make fun of you for thinking that they would have any interest in the garbage a complete strangers would have. Especially the guy working for minimum wage manning the counter for a fast food restaurant, who almost has a nervous breakdown over the weird kid who keeps plopping old clothes and popsicles onto the counter instead of placing an order.

Catty & Bratty will jokingly ask for some Glamburgers if you try it with them. If you actually have Glamburgers, though, they have to stop themselves from buying them from you.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Just Offscreen posted:

Burgerpants is a national treasure.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

RareAcumen posted:

Job Simulator seems to be all about doing dumb poo poo in an imagined idea of what jobs were like back in the 21st(?) century.

http://i.imgur.com/YPtNcVG.mp4

Now add simulated pain from burning your hands on the meat/cooker and I'm down.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The first game that I remember seeing unique dialogue for not buying something at a shop was Earthbound. The female cashiers would berate you for being a creep and trying to just talk to them while they're working. Another funny quirk in that game (full of them) is that a lot of regular store items in Summers (a trashy tourist trap of a beach town) had a significant mark-up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sleeping Dogs had that as well, I browsed a store and left and heard the cashier behind me saying "I wouldn't buy any of this poo poo either"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just beat the Banner Saga 2 recently and it's cool that while they kept the core game the same, they fixed most of the little problems for the first one.

For example, in 1 clansmen were useless. They joined you and ate your food and you started to actively cringe when you saw '+Clansmen' show up from a random event.

In 2, clansmen will now regularly forage for more supplies - often more than they use up! You also get bonus renown for winning fights when you have more clansmen. The game now has the more interesting decision of "how many clansmen can I afford to train into fighters, which will make the combats easier but be harder on my supplies?"

Previously, people got confused by the 'i go you go' of the battle system where unless there was only a single member of a side left, you always alternated unit turns. Now every possible 'main character' has their own way to break initiative order:
Rook can trigger Pillage Mode early, speeding up the end of a fight and making killing weak enemies quickly a viable strategy when it would get you killed i n the first game.
Alette can go into XCOM-style Overwatch on her turn.
Bolverk has a move that deals damage as a weaker attack but gives him an extra turn if it's a kill (there's a specific battle where it's just Bolverk + a buddy vs weak bandits, and it feels custom-designed to show this off)

Also it's nice that just in general, there's plenty of renown to go around and you aren't dicked over on supplies for half the game, so levelling up is more a matter of actually making sure your units get kills, instead of deperating clawing for enough supplies+renown.

edit:
Actually one of my favourite things is also that if you have Egil (fresh saves actually get him free, otherwise good luck keeping him alive through the first game without a walkthrough), all his upgrade moves are great. He can grab the Axe-Thrower move, in which case they actually animated him throwing his sword. He can also, instead, grab Ekkil's move Guts (since Egil and Ekkill are mutually exclusive) which works perfectly with Egil's intended use. Stick him waaaay out in front and have him stonewall so all the enemies crowd around him, then use Guts and send them flying everywhere.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Aug 26, 2016

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Sleeping Dogs had that as well, I browsed a store and left and heard the cashier behind me saying "I wouldn't buy any of this poo poo either"
Takes guts to wear that!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Croccers posted:

Takes guts to wear that!

Was there a way to get that rear end in a top hat to say anything else? Even when you walk out of the store with a matching suit jacket and slacks he still gives you sass.

Alternately, was it possible to find that guy and beat the gently caress out of him?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ninjahedgehog posted:

Was there a way to get that rear end in a top hat to say anything else? Even when you walk out of the store with a matching suit jacket and slacks he still gives you sass.

Alternately, was it possible to find that guy and beat the gently caress out of him?

I seem to recall when I had bought really high-end poo poo he said complimentary stuff but I might be making that up.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I seem to recall when I had bought really high-end poo poo he said complimentary stuff but I might be making that up.
Cutting edge! I like it!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Beedle opens a trap door and drops you out of his shop if you don't buy anything in Skyward Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Speaking of Zelda shopkeepers, I think it's pretty funny that the shopkeeper in Link's Awakening roasts you if you steal and comeback.
And then everyone on the island starts calling you THIEF. Really freaked me out as a kid.

Never stole from that man again.