Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

sebmojo posted:

Threaten a character we care about.

The horror that really stays with us is rooted an emotional state the reader (viewer/player/etc.) can identify with, particularly emotions that deal with the unknown/uncontrollable and operate outside rational thought. It externalizes the internal, throwing the character into a world that operates on emotional logic - frequently presenting itself as dream logic.

Grief, of course, is the big one - look at the saying power of The Raven. Fear of change, too: Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart is based on a sudden shift in the family dynamic. Or its opposite, The Metamorphosis comes out of a fear of entrapment, stagnation. (Despite his gift for nightmarish imagery, Kafka is usually associated with magical realism, horror's more socially accepted sibling.) Depression? Take your pick.

The other approach, which we usually associate with HP Lovecraft, is to present the entire world (ie, that around the reader rather than that around the progatonist) as horrific and beyond our comprehension, usually through cypher characters. This can be hard to pull off, though, since it requires reader investment in discovery and worldbuilding (and atmosphere, lots of atmoshpere) rather than character-based plotting. And there are plenty of examples that combine the two approaches - this is one reason, I think, that horror translates so well to video games, where the player learns about their character alongside discovering the world. Silent Hill 2 is pretty much the ur-example here.

When you're reading, think about what the protagonist is going through aside from the horrific events, and note how that determines the nature of the horror they experience.

Why yes, this might have been the topic of my thesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

MockingQuantum posted:

I have what is likely a very stupid question about horror writing, but bear with me. I have a bunch of ideas for short horror stories, but none of them are intrinsically all that frightening/suspenseful/terrifying. Is it possible that I could craft them to be any or all of the above as I move through drafts and edit them, or is an unfrightening core idea never going to be very bone-chilling? I'm planning on writing all of my ideas anyway, since I'm pretty new to writing seriously and need the experience, but I kinda want to know what I should be shooting for.

Consider writing them as stories that aren't horror stories.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Consider writing them as stories that aren't horror stories.

Could you expand on this a bit more? I'm still new to the thread and not familiar with everyone's sense of humor, is this you being negative towards horror, or are you saying I shouldn't limit myself to writing within the confines of the genre?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
The genre has no confines. Write what you want to write. Figure out what to call it later.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Could you expand on this a bit more? I'm still new to the thread and not familiar with everyone's sense of humor, is this you being negative towards horror, or are you saying I shouldn't limit myself to writing within the confines of the genre?

I think she's saying that if your ideas aren't frightening then why/how are they horror stories?

For example, I have this idea for a great action-thriller where a man and a women meet and fall in love, the night before he goes to war. They have a wonderful evening, but she loses his number and they fall out of touch.

Years later he's a troubled war vet, trying to make a new life as a corrections officer in a small town. Her life has gone downhill too, and they meet again when she's visiting the father of her son, in jail for drugs charges.

Together they learn to love life again, while also struggling with the emotional toll that their respective traumatic experiences have taken on their lives and the lives of those they touch.

It's a modern day tale of love, loss and redemption set in an America where true human understanding is becoming harder and harder to come by...

Now I just need to know where to put in the explosions, car-chases, and gunfights in order to write this action-thriller.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Besides scrivener, can somebody recommend an index card software for mac? I'll wait till nanowrimo for a discount if the only rec is scrivener. I've got around 1000 note cards I'd like to type and organize, some have lots of text some maybe only a line or two. Also a plus if the cards are searchable and I can group by keyword.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a free clone of scrivener, name escapes me though. It's probably what you're looking for.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
ywriter, I think.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

neongrey posted:

ywriter, I think.
yWriter is windows only, and it's a pain in the rear end for just writing. It's good for organizing your story, your characters, your timeline.

But when it comes to writing the thing, it's a hell of a pain in the rear end.

DJ BK posted:

Besides scrivener, can somebody recommend an index card software for mac? I'll wait till nanowrimo for a discount if the only rec is scrivener. I've got around 1000 note cards I'd like to type and organize, some have lots of text some maybe only a line or two. Also a plus if the cards are searchable and I can group by keyword.
But for something to help you drag-drop ideas into groups, try Freemind. It's mind-mapping. Again, useless for actual writing, but great for organizing your timeline, characters, etc.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 19, 2016

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

After unsuccessfully querying a few more agents for that urban fantasy novel I was asking for help with earlier, I think I'm going to just self-publish it and start on a new project. At least it was good for a dry run? I know "debut novel" is usually like a third or fourth finished book for most authors.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

change my name posted:

After unsuccessfully querying a few more agents for that urban fantasy novel I was asking for help with earlier, I think I'm going to just self-publish it and start on a new project. At least it was good for a dry run? I know "debut novel" is usually like a third or fourth finished book for most authors.

We need a :justpublish: version of :justpost:. This is what I did. I think eventually I'll manage a tradpub deal and go the hybrid route, but until then, I'm writing more books, more queries, and self-pubbing. Do your best and keep writing.

Never not writing. Write good words, not bad, but write bad words if those are the words you got.

e: I'm also still on goddamn tenterhooks with Angry Robot Books. I haven't received an R yet, but they're still working through their 2016 open subs pile. I'm in there somewhere.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
On writing a comedic farce, if you've ever done it...

Do you think up the craziest scenario and work backwards, or do you just stockpile insane moments and use as the moment presents itself?

Thinking of crazy scenes in sitcoms like Frasier or Modern Family... their trip to vegas. How the hell do you sit down and write towards the moment the dog maid statue turns into gloria, the stripper kilted dancers bop into the other room, and Jay finally gets access to a higher floor as a result, only to discover there is yet one more floor.

That kind of crap seems like a perfect impossible storm, but they pull it off consistently in that show.

I want to write stories like that, but have no idea how they weave those unrelated arcs into one mind blowing all encompassing scene.

EDIT: I just googled "FARCE" and maybe I'm using the wrong term. This site says this about that: "The basic purpose of a farcical comedy is to evoke laughter."

I thought that was COMEDY.

I'm talking about overlapping tales, all tying together... I've seen it in Breaking Bad, so maybe I'm using the wrong term.

BOOM. Google always answers my questions.
Frasier screenwriter blogs about HOW TO DO A FARCE.

Thank you all for playing.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 24, 2016

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RedTonic posted:

We need a :justpublish: version of :justpost:. This is what I did. I think eventually I'll manage a tradpub deal and go the hybrid route, but until then, I'm writing more books, more queries, and self-pubbing. Do your best and keep writing.

Never not writing. Write good words, not bad, but write bad words if those are the words you got.

e: I'm also still on goddamn tenterhooks with Angry Robot Books. I haven't received an R yet, but they're still working through their 2016 open subs pile. I'm in there somewhere.

Well I did it (if anyone's interested they can check out the self-pub thread), and now I've started outlining my next book. Because it's about pop-culture obsessed dorks, each character description includes [Doesn't smell] and [Does smell] tags.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

RedTonic posted:

We need a :justpublish: version of :justpost:.

buy it with your self pub millions

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

crabrock posted:

buy it with your self pub millions

that sounded snarkier than i intended, but i'm gonna let it ride

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

crabrock posted:

that sounded snarkier than i intended, but i'm gonna let it ride

Id buy it if someone made it. Can't buy myself gif making talent with my pubjillions :(.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
How much do you guys think about genre when you're writing? Do you try to keep your story inside the trappings of a specific genre? Do you Just Write and try to apply a genre when finished?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I don't think much about genre when I'm writing. If I was approaching writing as a business (which is a valid way to approach it, don't get me wrong) then I might consciously try to categorize while I write. As is, I've never been too concerned with staying inside what people expect out of a genre. That can limit your possibility space, if you're beholden to a genre that doesn't want to include what you want to put into it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

HIJK posted:

How much do you guys think about genre when you're writing? Do you try to keep your story inside the trappings of a specific genre? Do you Just Write and try to apply a genre when finished?

What's your goal for the finished work?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HIJK posted:

How much do you guys think about genre when you're writing?

I don't.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

May :justpub: soon be a thing.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

RedTonic posted:

the anticipation is killing me

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

flerp posted:

the anticipation is killing me

:black101:

Does anyone have a handy link that explains the gloss technique? I need an alternative way to explain it to someone.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

magical time to b alive imo

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
:justpub:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i have no words but i must pub

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

RedTonic posted:

why does this post not show the :justpub: but my quotes do :stonk:

nvm its fixed now but it was v freaky

flerp fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 26, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

we need a fyad lite for writers imo

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RedTonic posted:

:black101:

Does anyone have a handy link that explains the gloss technique? I need an alternative way to explain it to someone.

TLDR maybe? Like, glossing over something? Or glossy fingernails.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

RedTonic posted:

What's your goal for the finished work?

To sell, of course! But in terms of content, my goal with my current project is a mystery that's creepy and frightening and some paranormal stuff.

Djeser posted:

I don't think much about genre when I'm writing. If I was approaching writing as a business (which is a valid way to approach it, don't get me wrong) then I might consciously try to categorize while I write. As is, I've never been too concerned with staying inside what people expect out of a genre. That can limit your possibility space, if you're beholden to a genre that doesn't want to include what you want to put into it.

Considering the onset of the self publishing age, I doubt genre matters that much, people search for what they like!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

HIJK posted:

To sell, of course! But in terms of content, my goal with my current project is a mystery that's creepy and frightening and some paranormal stuff.

If you're trying to self-pub, knowing your genre and hitting the right notes matter.

quote:

Considering the onset of the self publishing age, I doubt genre matters that much, people search for what they like!

This is not my experience so far. Genre defiance might work better with journals and mags, but it's a harder sell on self-pub and querying trad-pub. At least I'm finding that to be the case, ymmv. :shobon:

anyway

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

RedTonic posted:

If you're trying to self-pub, knowing your genre and hitting the right notes matter.

This is not my experience so far. Genre defiance might work better with journals and mags, but it's a harder sell on self-pub and querying trad-pub. At least I'm finding that to be the case, ymmv. :shobon:

anyway

Something I'll have to think about a lot. But I'll have to write something first in order to worry about it haha

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I think genre matters. Magazines tend to have a very specific type of snowflake in mind. Being in entirely the wrong class of story makes it easy for them to cull your submission on a first pass.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
thats more if your specifically aiming for one type of market. theres enough markets out there that if youre looking to sell your piece, youll find a place that fits.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
For novels genre is 100% important no matter what kind of publishing you're doing.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

flerp posted:

thats more if your specifically aiming for one type of market. theres enough markets out there that if youre looking to sell your piece, youll find a place that fits.

there's like a dozen professional-paying markets active per genre per year (bit more for SF, less for horror), and each generally has an accept rate under 1%. I think you're being optimistic.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Typical path to becoming a financially successful self-publisher:

1. Ignore stuff like genre expectations, writing to market, etc. because you've got it all figured out.

2. Bang your head against the wall for a few releases/years and get bummed out that your books only move a couple hundred freebies and maybe like $50 in sales.

3. Realize that most successful self-publishers--sellout bastards, the whole lot of 'em--have several things in common; stuff like paying attention to genre expectations, writing to market, etc.

4. Resign yourself to not being a special snowflake, and to more closely following the proven, mainstream path to self-publishing success.

5. Profit :10bux:

Newcomers to self-publishing, feel free to save yourself a whole lot of time and stress by jumping straight to Step 4.

edit: I imagine this advice would be also be applicable when writing/submitting to trad pub

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 27, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
In any circumstance, you're going to want to make sure you reach the expected audience, especially if you plan on building from genre conventions. How many of us have seen the poor bastard bring a genre piece into a general fiction workshop and the response be "Hold on... they're in space?!" before they can even get to what they're personally doing with it. If the reader is ready for them, you can have hyperdrive or time travel or elves built into your setting and move quickly into your story. In general fiction, the addition of just one of those would be the entire story.

Of course, it's easy to make familiarity a prerequisite. When I've glanced at my mother's stupid paranormal romance mysteries, the reader is expected to already be intimately familiar with all the concepts and terminology from book one, page one. Great if you're only interested in that market (and can stand out among everyone else vying for attention for the same audience) but completely self-defeating if you want to move beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trustworthy posted:

4. Resign yourself to not being a special snowflake, and to more closely following the proven, mainstream path to self-publishing success.

Okay I know what your point is here but this is kind of the worst possible way to make it. No one's gonna take your advice when you use the words "special snowflake"in them.

You can still write what you like, even at the cost of the almighty dollar. The only thing is, it may not be very good, and you have to eventually resign yourself to that.

If you do the legwork and no one's interested then, uh, time to take a hard look in the mirror.

(Also hilariously, there's a genre for books without genres: literary fiction)

• Locked thread