Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Something's not right about that screenshot. How is Mario supposed to hit those question blocks?

By jumping on top of the blocks that he broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the Super Game Boy responses. I'm an idiot and should have specified that I want to play Donkey Kong 94 with the full color and border on a portable device and not a PC. My fault.

My favorite thing was in one of the stages in DK 94, I couldn't figure out the puzzle and I ended up being the stage by doing something the programmers probably didn't notice. When I figured out the right way to do it I felt like an idiot, but proud that I kind of broke the game for that one stage.

It was this stage

https://youtu.be/EJYpRYqRgHQ

I'll be damned if I remember how I broke it though. I think I got to the key without using that custom platform piece.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If someone is in need of a Xbox I have a tsop flashed one but no hard drive. Would just require throwing one in and running the recovery disc to fix it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RZA Encryption posted:

By jumping on top of the blocks that he broke

I can't believe somebody in the retro gaming megathread doesn't have SMB 1-1 so thoroughly burned into their brain that they don't know that there are two blocks under those question blocks.

Maybe they've just never not used the warp pipe?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

EugeneJ posted:

Donkey Kong 94 deserves way more love than it gets

I got a Gameboy Pocket this summer and beat DK 94. I Feel it is pretty much the only game on the system that has thoroughly stood the test of time and holds up 100% today. 101 levels, tons of moves and locations. In Many cases you can beat levels in totally different ways than were intended. It's an amazing game and only testifies to the greatness of Miyamoto.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wizgot posted:

I got a Gameboy Pocket this summer and beat DK 94. I Feel it is pretty much the only game on the system that has thoroughly stood the test of time and holds up 100% today. 101 levels, tons of moves and locations. In Many cases you can beat levels in totally different ways than were intended. It's an amazing game and only testifies to the greatness of Miyamoto.

Link's Awakening and Mole Mania better be on that short list :colbert:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to ask here because GBS couldn't figure it out -

About 10 years ago there was a flash game (well kind of a game) where you could click and drag a bunch of colored letters across a flat surface to form words. The kicker was that other people in the room could also click and drag the letters. So you had people write random messages in the rooms, or you had 20 people working together to form a giant penis using the letters. Someone could be a dick and steal the letters as you were trying to write something. I was wondering what the name of that game was and if it's still around.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

About 10 years ago there was a flash game (well kind of a game) where you could click and drag a bunch of colored letters across a flat surface to form words. The kicker was that other people in the room could also click and drag the letters. So you had people write random messages in the rooms, or you had 20 people working together to form a giant penis using the letters. Someone could be a dick and steal the letters as you were trying to write something. I was wondering what the name of that game was and if it's still around.

Ask here while you're at it

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Don't know about Mole Mania but Link's Awakening is awesome. Haven't beaten it yet though nor have I gotten very far. My only real gripe with that game is constantly having to pause to equip stuff. It becomes quite aggravating.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I got my Japanese copy of La Grange Point yesterday. I can see why flyboi had trouble getting it converted to english, I ended up having to burn the eprom three times to get it to work. You have to run the .nes file through famirom first, even though the whole rom is the .prg. Just stripping the header off didn't work, not sure why. Anyway, now that I know what I'm doing hit me up and I'll see if I can't get a properly burned 27c040 off to you.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

King Vidiot posted:

I can't believe somebody in the retro gaming megathread doesn't have SMB 1-1 so thoroughly burned into their brain that they don't know that there are two blocks under those question blocks.

Which no one in their right mind would break until after they bopped the question blocks for coins. How else will you grab 50 coins in time for the Nintendo World Championships?

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Miles McCloud posted:

I got my Japanese copy of La Grange Point yesterday. I can see why flyboi had trouble getting it converted to english, I ended up having to burn the eprom three times to get it to work. You have to run the .nes file through famirom first, even though the whole rom is the .prg. Just stripping the header off didn't work, not sure why. Anyway, now that I know what I'm doing hit me up and I'll see if I can't get a properly burned 27c040 off to you.

I happen to need one of these, are you able to do any other games too or is Lagrange Point the only one you're familiar with so far?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uncle, Goomba seems to be doing borders and enhanced color but I think it runs at regular speed.

Someone more technical than I should answer though.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

This one?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ineffiable posted:

Uncle, Goomba seems to be doing borders and enhanced color but I think it runs at regular speed.

The Super Game Boy 2 runs at accurate Game Boy speed, so most SGB supporting emulators actually target the SGB2.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Asbrandt posted:

I happen to need one of these, are you able to do any other games too or is Lagrange Point the only one you're familiar with so far?

I can do most other games. Lagrange Point is just an easy one since you only need one 27c040 and it doesn't need any rewiring.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fishmech posted:

The Super Game Boy 2 runs at accurate Game Boy speed, so most SGB supporting emulators actually target the SGB2.

Goomba is really weird though because it'll repackage gb and gbc roms on a gba file for gba flashcarts. You're right it probably works off the sgb2 for better accuracy.

It is cool getting SGB borders and poo poo on the gba. I'll post a picture of mine later today but this makes krikzz gba ever drive worth it, along with the fact that it's simple drag and drop.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 25, 2016

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Miles McCloud posted:

I can do most other games. Lagrange Point is just an easy one since you only need one 27c040 and it doesn't need any rewiring.

Yeah I can handle rewiring without issue, I just don't have an actual programmer to get the rom chips done. Do you use new chips or used ones?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!

Thank you

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm headed to Tokyo in about two weeks. Are there any lesser known game shops I should be hitting outside of Akhihabara? Any general tips for getting deals?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Thank you! I'd love for it to work as an snes rom since I am assuming the image is going to be kind or wonky since it has to adapt to the GBA resolution

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm headed to Tokyo in about two weeks. Are there any lesser known game shops I should be hitting outside of Akhihabara? Any general tips for getting deals?

I say this every time mainly because it's the obvious one, but Book Off is the place to go. There's plenty of other second hand stores, though. The helpful thing about Book Off is they're a giant chain.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you! I'd love for it to work as an snes rom since I am assuming the image is going to be kind or wonky since it has to adapt to the GBA resolution

It does cut off the SGB borders slightly but the gb games to seem to run in the correct aspect. It's like if you ran an gb cart in a sp, if you didn't stretch the image you'd have just empty space. But with Goomba, you can recompile it into a gba game and I think even if a gb game is not super gameboy enhanced you might be able to use a default border.

I also did try metal storm on the micro and it looked just fine, just hard to see because so many scrolling parallexes on a tiny screen.

If you have any request for games I should try, lemme know, I'll have access in half a hour.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Donkey Kong Jr is better than Donkey Kong

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Harlock posted:

at making people turn the Nintendo off and play something else.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

i'm going in october for three weeks with a friend and our plan is to get out of tokyo and wander the countryside looking for hard-offs, I hear akiba/tokyo is a wasteland of ludicrous prices if you can find anything good at all, though the arcades make it worth it: HEY, Try, and Mikado all have great selections of retro arcade games running from what I understand

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harlock posted:

I genuinely love both games and I disagree. DK Jr's chain stage is the best stage in any of the games, and the spark stage is better than the pie factory, but Donkey Kong is an altogether better package.

I also like Donkey Kong 3. Popeye, however is a stinker.

You know what's the worst Nintendo arcade game? Punch Out. It's confusing and the constant screams of "Body blow! Body blow!" are enough to drive anyone nuts.

Surprisingly cool Nintendo arcade game? Vs. Balloon Fight which is an even bigger version of Balloon Fight. I still like Joust better, though.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 26, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Goomba is okay but a LOT of gameboy games are written to just expect the environment to work and falls over in emulation (even on libretro in 3ds/vita)

If you want to see what I mean throw the GBC dragon quests into goomba and listen to the audio. It expects gameboy to run 100% at speed constantly and the audio cuts out constantly because the emulator in both isn't capable of maintaining steady emulation.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I genuinely love both games and I disagree. DK Jr's chain stage is the best stage in any of the games, and the spark stage is better than the pie factory, but Donkey Kong is an altogether better package.

I also like Donkey Kong 3. Popeye, however is a stinker.

You know what's the worst Nintendo arcade game? Punch Out. It's confusing and the constant screams of "Body blow! Body blow!" are enough to drive anyone nuts.

Surprisingly cool Nintendo arcade game? Vs. Balloon Fight which is an even bigger version of Balloon Fight. I still like Joust better, though.

It's messed up that they never gave Arm Wrestling the Mike Tyson's Punch-Out treatment

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

flyboi posted:

Goomba is okay but a LOT of gameboy games are written to just expect the environment to work and falls over in emulation (even on libretro in 3ds/vita)

If you want to see what I mean throw the GBC dragon quests into goomba and listen to the audio. It expects gameboy to run 100% at speed constantly and the audio cuts out constantly because the emulator in both isn't capable of maintaining steady emulation.

Yeah if you want to be as accurate as possible, then yeah just get the regular gameboy everdrive and put the romset on it.

It's neat to get GB and NES games working on a micro, and hey I bet your SD card has a spare gigabyte....

Here's a library images of link's awakening:
http://imgur.com/a/iwLCw

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

fishmech posted:

Is the speed difference really that noticeable? I mean can your really tell? I read somewhere that the SGB plays the games 2.4% faster. To me that is not a lot.

Quick question. The Game Boy Pocket is said to run for about 10 hours on two AAA batteries. I believe this is 1996 standards. With modern AAA batteries, will it run longer? I haven't timed it but was wondering if someone knew the answer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wizgot posted:

Is the speed difference really that noticeable? I mean can your really tell? I read somewhere that the SGB plays the games 2.4% faster. To me that is not a lot.

Quick question. The Game Boy Pocket is said to run for about 10 hours on two AAA batteries. I believe this is 1996 standards. With modern AAA batteries, will it run longer? I haven't timed it but was wondering if someone knew the answer.

The sound is off, you'll notice it with any game you've played a lot on GB/GBC/GBA. It also makes some games noticeably more difficult because your reaction time needs to be better. Doesn't really matter much for like RPGs or other sorts of turn based stuff of course.

1996 was well into the era of modern alkaline batteries. 10 hours is probably still true with modern alkalines, while lithium batteries would last you up to 50% longer (because while lithium and alkaline batteries store approximately the same total power, at the level of current a GBP pulls the alkaline drains much faster due to various chemical reasons). So you might get 15 hours.

If you want the best battery life, the clear winner is the Game Boy Color. On regular Game Boy games, which don't use the faster processor mode, the thing will get 30-45 hours of play time on modern alkaline batteries, and lithium batteries could push to 70 hours. Game Boy Color specific games will use more power, but even still the 2 AAs will still last you at least 20-35 hours on alkalines and maybe reach 65 hours on lithium (again, the characteristics of lithium vs alkaline batteries is that lithium batteries can provide power much more efficiently at high current draw).

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

fishmech posted:

If you want the best battery life, the clear winner is the Game Boy Color. On regular Game Boy games, which don't use the faster processor mode, the thing will get 30-45 hours of play time on modern alkaline batteries, and lithium batteries could push to 70 hours. Game Boy Color specific games will use more power, but even still the 2 AAs will still last you at least 20-35 hours on alkalines and maybe reach 65 hours on lithium (again, the characteristics of lithium vs alkaline batteries is that lithium batteries can provide power much more efficiently at high current draw).

Thanks for the extensive answer. Wow. I'm not sure but from looking at videos it seems that the GBC has a smaller screen than the GBP. I know the resolution is the same. It might be an Illusion though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wizgot posted:

Thanks for the extensive answer. Wow. I'm not sure but from looking at videos it seems that the GBC has a smaller screen than the GBP. I know the resolution is the same. It might be an Illusion though.

Yes, the original Game Boy screen is 4.7 by 4.3 cm, the Game Boy Pocket is 4.8 by 4.4 cm, and the Game Boy Color one is 4.4 by 4 cm. But it handles low light better and of course it's actually in color, so it's a fair trade off really. What's particularly nice is that the GBC has the least ghosting on screen of any of those three.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I also like Donkey Kong 3.
TICK a ta TICK, ta TICK ta TICK

If I told you how many things I did to the rhythm of Donkey Kong rapping beehives, you wouldn't believe me.

quote:

Popeye, however is a stinker.
You're normally so right about things. Popeye is great. It's a game you can play for a long time if you're skilled but never feel entirely safe with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

You're normally so right about things. Popeye is great. It's a game you can play for a long time if you're skilled but never feel entirely safe with.

I disagree. I am normally very wrong about things.

Also, Popeye's scope is a real problem with the game. There's this weird thing where gathering the tosses pulls the player in all directions while at the same time the maps are very restricted. Donkey Kong's maps, to use the convenient counter example, are similarly restricted but are very direct in the player's goal and has a more activity in the way the game attacks the player. Pac-Man's goals pull the player in many direction on a more complex map that gives them many options to deal with threats. Popeye belongs right next to Kangaroo on the junkheap of arcade history.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yes, the original Game Boy screen is 4.7 by 4.3 cm, the Game Boy Pocket is 4.8 by 4.4 cm, and the Game Boy Color one is 4.4 by 4 cm. But it handles low light better and of course it's actually in color, so it's a fair trade off really. What's particularly nice is that the GBC has the least ghosting on screen of any of those three.

The gbc screen is waaay nicer than the pocket. https://youtu.be/kRRKqgoyUn8

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Asbrandt posted:

Yeah I can handle rewiring without issue, I just don't have an actual programmer to get the rom chips done. Do you use new chips or used ones?

My 27c040s are all new-old-stock I bought in bulk from China.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

King Vidiot posted:

He is a FILTHY PRETENDER and must be brought before the tribunal!

*swipe pan to a darkened room with cloaked figures standing on daises surrounding Kid Fenris*

*a starving man in a loincloth scampers into the room and gently presents a classic NES controller to him*

The Red Eye: If you are indeed a retro gamer... provide us the Konami code.

Kid Fenris: Uh... up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right...

*long pause*

Kid Fenris: ..... A?

*a trap door swings open and swallows him, goofy yell*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

I AM THE TOILET posted:

He is a FILTHY PRETENDER and must be brought before the tribunal!

*swipe pan to a darkened room with cloaked figures standing on daises surrounding Kid Fenris*

*a starving man in a loincloth scampers into the room and gently presents a classic NES controller to him*

The Red Eye: If you are indeed a retro gamer... provide us the Konami code.

Kid Fenris: Uh... up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right...

*long pause*

Kid Fenris: ..... A?

*a trap door swings open and swallows him, goofy yell*

People!

People!

We are not savages! We are here to educate, not intimidate. Now, help me book a movie theater and purchase medical-grade restraints so we can force them to watch World 1-1 repeatedly until it's properly memorized. And don't forget the eye drops like last time.

• Locked thread