Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Very well might be a coincidence, but my boy pretty Tony doesn't have a win under USADA's reign. His loss to RDA was before the announcement fo testing but the other two, more winable fights were after the testing was implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
CM Punk started training at Roufusport in January 2015, Pettis vs RDA was two months later. Makes you think.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

origami posted:

I am glad I helped some goon make money on this fight by posting lauzon was the underdog in the betting thread

Thanks

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
joe goes dracula

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just watched oliveira vs. jury which was oliveira's last fight back in december 2015. i have no idea where this year has gone. anyway i noticed that oliveira had a habit of bringing his guard away from his face and body which leaves a massive opening for a liver kick.

while i was there i also watched oliveira / lentz 2 which if you haven't seen it is really loving sick and the second round is just some sublime grappling from nick the carny lentz. sick finish too. also, watch their first fight.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's almost as if stats don't tell the whole story and that watching the fight would be better.

Those numbers are also very unreliable.

i dont agree with people using numbers to say who won a fight cos it assumes everyone hits exactly as hard as eachother all of the time. like edgar was technically able to stand with aldo on roughly equal ground but at no point did it look like he could hurt him

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

:exaggerated-fist-bump-emoticon:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont agree with people using numbers to say who won a fight cos it assumes everyone hits exactly as hard as eachother all of the time. like edgar was technically able to stand with aldo on roughly equal ground but at no point did it look like he could hurt him

this is also why i dont think the diaz/conor 2 fight was that close. conor was clearly tired more than hurt at the end of it, maybe yall wanna argue differently but ill only be pretending to listen if you do (:-]) and diaz was very visibly and obviously hurt from as early as the 2 knockdowns in round 2. like you could say diazs knockdown of conor was a real one but conor was quick to get back up and unlucky for diaz it was too late in the round for him to make anything big out of it, i suppose u could say it set up round 5 though.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
it was a close fight but the right person won the majority decision

inri I agree with the whole numbers don't always tell the truth/not every punch is the same deal but I feel the same about hurt fighters, some guys get hurt and wilt, some are dangerous until you put them away

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 26, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
nate lays in a bed sleeping in the centre of the octagon as conor backs away and circles

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

nate lays in a bed sleeping in the centre of the octagon as conor backs away and circles

now that's what i call energy management

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

hahaha

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lloyd Boner posted:

CM Punk started training at Roufusport in January 2015, Pettis vs RDA was two months later. Makes you think.

Either the bad is contagious or CM Punk's striking is so fearsome that him merely hitting the bag in his Pettis' presence has deleted his chin.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
No one really buys into that fight metric stuff. Its just trivia and only rarely a justification of someone's Joe Roganesque conspiracy theory of how the wrong person won a fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ehhh i can't think of a fight where fightmetric is completely loving wrong ie 'he never landed that many sig strikes!!'. it's guilty as gently caress as having no bearing whatsoever on how the fight may have actually gone however. basically its only crime is being completely and totally irrelevant.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the topic of Fightmetric being a bad judge of a fight on numbers alone, watch this Big John/Joey Diaz podcast from the Jackson/Winkeljohn link onwards.

This post was in the UFC200 newbie thread.

homercles posted:

On the subject of judging/refereeing, Big John McCarthy did a great podcast with Joey Diaz where he covered a bunch of topics you'd expect a referee to cover. The podcast was 3 months ago but was recently uploaded to youtube, so:

When to stop a fight: 8m24s
Explains how Jackson/Winkeljohn influence judge scoring in a fight: 35m35s
Process for becoming a judge: 52m18s
Stopping a fight without assigning blame on a judge: 1h13m44s (him doing it I guess: Tank Abbott vs Cabbage, 4m22s)

Lots of other gold in this podcast.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

On the topic of Fightmetric being a bad judge of a fight on numbers alone, watch this Big John/Joey Diaz podcast from the Jackson/Winkeljohn link onwards.

This post was in the UFC200 newbie thread.

Speaking of podcasts, anyone have suggestions for good MMA ones?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ParanoidInc posted:

Co-Main Event is the one true MMA podcast.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

ParanoidInc posted:

poo poo, everyone has one these days. It mostly depends on who you're into.

The Co-Main Event - my favorite, has cool segments like "Are you loving kidding me?"
You're Welcome! With Chael Sonnen - my daughter is dying make it a Buffalo Wild Wings night
Submission Radio - releases seemingly at random but usually has good guests
UFC Unfiltered with Jim Norton and Matt Serra - hear about Matt Serra making GBS threads and loving his wife , but quite filtered takes on the UFC since it's the official podcast
Phone Booth Fighting - Frank Mir and that Kris Angel lookin journalist, hear about Frank's fantasies of either shooting or punching an assailant and letting his daughter finish the job with a choke
Sherdog Radio Network - has many podcasts under its banner including Neutral Corner with Thugjitsu master Yves Edwards
IT'S TIME - Bruce Buffer man
Anik and Florian - 209
MMA Hour - beards, beef, and the biggest guests
Joe Rogan Experience - his episodes with fighters are among his best imo and the fight companions can be entertaining, Joey Diaz cocksucka
The Fighter & The Kid - an exfighter and a 50 year old suck each other off and talk about fights sometimes

Avoid:
MMA Roasted - I guess humor is subjective, but oof
Morning Wood with Deez Nuts - gently caress Tyron Woodley
MMA Junkie - love 90s soundblast radio?

Like I said, depends on who you're into.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tfak isn't on your avoid list, troubling

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

dunc, start a podcast

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm just saying after this year I am not going to make any predictions about the MMA except which fighters are going to do dumb poo poo outside the ring.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm just saying after this year I am not going to make any predictions about the MMA except which fighters are going to do dumb poo poo outside the ring.

I'll make a prediction. The Flyweights season of TUF will end with Mighty Mouse clinically disassembling whoever wins.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Memento posted:

I'll make a prediction. The Flyweights season of TUF will end with Mighty Mouse clinically disassembling whoever wins.

GSP is going to walk all over Matt Serra, idiot.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

GSP is going to walk all over Matt Serra, idiot.

Wanna bet?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Memento posted:

Its been a while since I've watched a TUF season but I like the gimmick on this one so I probably will. It also seems like they're gonna spend the whole time giving MMDJ his props so I'm on board.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In all honesty "We rounded up every flyweight champion in the country, the best of the best, and they're going to compete to see who gets the privilege of receiving a life-altering beating from Mighty Mouse" is a compelling concept.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Tfak isn't on your avoid list, troubling

I rarely listen to it these days and I don't think it's the worst ever, but point taken. Like a lot of those, it depends on the guest and I did mention that they spend a lot of time sucking each other off.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

fatherdog posted:

In all honesty "We rounded up every flyweight champion in the country, the best of the best, and they're going to compete to see who gets the privilege of receiving a life-altering beating from Mighty Mouse" is a compelling concept.

MM is going to get overconfident and get carpal tunnel doing twitch streams, can't throw punches, gets taken out with an overhand right in the second round.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If the Reis fight gets booked and the unthinkable has to happen where Reis beats Mighty Mouse, I hope it happens during taping of TUF so we can see the collective sigh of relief wash over the entire cast and both coaches at their Hooters watch party.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fatherdog posted:

If Damacio Page wins i will laugh until i cry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd rather win TUF for a promise that Mighty Mouse doesn't beat the gently caress out of me, rather than the chance to fight him, honestly.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

dunc, start a podcast

pay me £380 a month for 6 months so i can take a badly paid research job without dying of starvation and i will

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd rather win TUF for a promise that Mighty Mouse doesn't beat the gently caress out of me, rather than the chance to fight him, honestly.

How could anyone pass up the chance to be seen on PPV by 120k people though?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Trast posted:

How could anyone pass up the chance to be seen on PPV by 120k people though?

Just remembering that TUF fight to get into the house where the guy got his jaw shattered and was knocked out while flailing and wheezing. It looked like someone snipped off part of his brain stem.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Pettis doesn't just fight southpaw. He fights opposite of his opponent so that he's in open guard. No matter his stance he works hard to give up a good angle for his rear hand straight to get a better angle for his rear foot high kick. It's a good spot to land a hook from, but he doesn't have a great hook. He also doesn't sit down on his punches very often, which is something he always claims to be working on but never seems to implement in his fights

I think he's working with Jackson wink now so maybe he's habits will change. I did not watch the barboza fight also

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Yeah I'm down with tuf for the first time in a long time

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Friends is on constant reruns here in Norway, and it's funny every time to see the storyline where Monicas boyfriend wants to fight in the UFC. Big John isn't very big, and Bruce Buffer is soooo young!

http://thebiglead.com/2014/05/08/ufc-friends-a-look-back-at-the-one-with-the-ultimate-fighting-champion/

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

MM is going to get overconfident and get carpal tunnel doing twitch streams, can't throw punches, gets taken out with an overhand right in the second round.

Nah he's gonna do his job and keep wrecking dudes until he moves up or physically can't compete anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

FishBowlRobot posted:

You're Welcome! With Chael Sonnen - my daughter is dying make it a Buffalo Wild Wings night

Too early... or too late for that joke :smith:

• Locked thread